• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

will it hurt when it all burns down; moment
    Mo nuzzles me, a soft little brush of his muzzle against my neck to say thanks, and I smile at him. “You’re welcome,” I say quietly, returning the gesture. I’m not sure if it’s from the time I spent with Spear and Spark or just part of who I am, but I love those little touches, happy and warm and comforting. And I don’t get nearly enough of them, being alone so much. “I hope you’re right, and you don’t have to worry about it anymore. But if it does come back, you find me and I’ll help you with the fire if I can.”

And I wrap him up in a hug, draping my neck over him and drawing him close, hugging him with my wings too when he tells me I deserve a family that loves me. “So do you, Mo. And I’d really like you to stay with me too. That makes me really happy. Maybe...I mean, if you want, maybe I could be your family. You can pick, you know. My daddy picked me to be part of his family. Maybe we could pick each other. And then I could be your family that loves you, and you could be mine too. If you want. I mean, you can say no! It just sounds like it would be nice, is all.”

I bite my lip, wondering if maybe I’m asking too much. “We can stay together either way. I’d love the company, whether you’re family or not. It...it gets really lonely without someone who’s yours, you know? Who loves you and holds you close and wants to be curled up next to you while you fall asleep. Someone to watch out for you, and to play with, and to share your adventures with. All of that could be part of staying together, even if you don’t--I mean, I know it’s not the same as having a mom or a dad, but...but if you want.”

I shrug, and meeting his eyes is too hard so I look at the ground, at the trees, at anything but him. Trying not to let the lonely little ache in my chest get too big while I wait for him to laugh or shake his head or bite his lip and let awkward silence stretch out between us while he searches for the words to say that’s sweet and all but no thank you. Oh but it would be so nice to have someone who’s family but isn’t far away.

“Or,” I add, suddenly struck with inspiration. “Also I could help you find your dad! If you want, or if you’d rather. Um, but only if you want. I don’t think I’d want to try to find mine, especially since I don’t know anything about him. My mom wasn’t exactly the talkative sort. But if that’s something you want, I’d be happy to help you look for yours!” And the distraction saves him from some of the pressure of having to let me down gently about the whole being his family thing.
    Will you fight when it all burns down?