• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  I can't afford fire, but I keep myself warm; any

Kaite
    my nerves are turned on. I hear them like musical instruments.
    where there was silence the drums, the strings are incurably playing.
    Across the quiet of the night, the sound of the child carries far. Kaite lifts her head and swivels towards the mother's call as she follows her son. Like any good mother, her eyes track the progress of the boy first, and then turns towards Kaite with unhurried steps. The slim, dark mare stands calmly at the approach, though her dark eyes linger on the other woman's striking horns and wings. Still, she gives a small smile at the offered greeting.

"Hello," she has always made it a point to not delve into the minds of others unnecessarily, so here she skims surface thoughts just briefly, to make sure that there is no overt danger. There's not - the few things she catches on the surfaces of the mare's mind are as well-meaning as her words. She could be hiding an alterior motive, of course, but Kaite doesn't think so. "I'm Kaite." Evarae looks upwards towards the sky, but Kaite looks towards the laughing child first, a dull ache in her heart as she briefly wonders about her own daughter. In the years that have passed, she is sure that Gaelen is gone, and that the twins she carries will never meet their big sister, but she does not know if they have aunts and uncles and cousins out there somewhere.

After a few heartbeats, she looks to the sky as well, looking for familiar constellations and relieved to find them as they should be. The lands may have changed, but the skies have not. "They are exquisite," she agrees, and turns her eyes again towards the mare. "It has been a long time since I have seen them. The stars had not existed, in this way, where she was. "But it is nice to see that they have not changed. Everything else has." A little restless, she scrapes against the winter grass with one hoof, glancing down where frost has daintily covered each stalk before looking back up to her companion. "Where do you hail from?"

darling, the composer has stepped into fire.
    manip by littlewillow-art.deviantart.com ▵ html Devin's Designs '20 ▵ poem by anne sexton

@[evarae]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: I can't afford fire, but I keep myself warm; any - by Kaite - 07-14-2020, 07:34 PM