• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  give me hope in the darkness; any
    so give me hope in the darkness that I will see the light
    'cause oh that gave me such a fright
    For the last few weeks, the magician had been sticking close to Nerine, despite his ever-growing berth. It’s painfully obvious that he’s pregnant and that might curtail his desire to enter any physical conflicts, but he could have defended the Kingdom by magic had the need arisen. He’d even caught himself nesting on Nerine’s shores several times, but stopped himself from ever completing a hideaway here; his home (real home) is on his island with Nihlus, and when he feels the first rolling pain of birthing he is home in an instant, to introduce their daughter first to his lover.

But as soon as she’s steady on her feet, bonded with both of her fathers, he whisks them back to the shoreline Kingdom, the danger still a steady undercurrent of possibility. Nihlus had sleepily murmured for him to leave her, but Brennen is aware that he’s the nursing parent and babies eat a lot. Plus, with all of the pregnant mares in Nerine this winter, Lhoire is more likely to find playmates here than on their quiet island. So he strides along the coast, looking for any familiar faces, with the bright filly whirling around him in excited circles.

The contrast is high – at first glance you might not even think she’s Brennen’s. Where he is red and dark, bay into deep black wings, the filly is bright chestnut with her other father’s strangely marked legs. The only thing she shares with Brennen is her gold eyes, and the white star on her forehead. She strays a little far for his comfort and the magician lets out an impatient noise, a wordless summons that brings the girl running back, tucking herself under his inky black wing to nurse.

He sighs, but the relaxed quiet of his body reveals the lie – he’s pretty happy with this situation. If he hadn’t chosen it, it surely would have been a different issue but since he’s simply proving a point to his mate and never intends to go through this again, it’s bearable. Next time either Nihlus will carry their children, or Brennen is going to create some sort of magic egg. Or possible recruit a surrogate. Pregnancy wasn’t the worst experience in Brennen’s life but it certainly wasn’t one of his favorites.
    but I will hold, as long as you like
    just promise me we'll be alright
    BrenneN

Messages In This Thread
    give me hope in the darkness; any - by Brennen - 03-21-2020, 09:15 PM
    RE: give me hope in the darkness; any - by Nihlus - 03-23-2020, 01:49 AM
    RE: give me hope in the darkness; any - by Nihlus - 03-25-2020, 04:19 PM
    RE: give me hope in the darkness; any - by Nihlus - 04-05-2020, 04:01 AM