• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  i've never fallen from quite this high; aten
    Aten had known that this meeting was a long time coming, and so, for the past few suns, had spent most of his time around Taiga's main meadow where Pteron would easily be able to find him. At times, members of his family would join him, but he requested they never stay for long in case the younger stallion showed up and decided to act on some of the more... vile tendencies, that his sire had exhibited. And Aten would be damned if he allowed that colt to hurt his family.

Of course he appreciated the company, especially on days where Pteron didn't show up, but he got word that the stallion was heading his way one morning while he was grazing. Kalil and Ruth had joined him, but upon getting word from Turul, who had helped Aten by being on the lookout for Pteron among Taiga's redwoods, he sent the colt and filly back off into the woods so that they wouldn't be within Pteron's reach while he was here.

Once they were in the clear, Aten settled back into grazing while he waited. The fresh spring grass did wonders for his belly, his stomach now back to it's normal functions after a typically hard winter that meant much less food. He could already feel some of the pains that cropped up fading away now that he could constantly had food in his gut again, his body feeling nourished and healthy.

Pteron did not greet Aten verbally upon his arrival, only doing so with a nod of his head. The younger stallion's wings were loosely drapped across his sides, his face betraying any sort of emotion he might be thinking about displaying. Aten returned the gesture, tilting his head to greet the 'ruler', his own face like a mountain stone. He knew the business Pteron was here to take care of, but how exactly would he handle it?

Unknown to Aten, not at all in the way he expected.

Pteron dove right into the main point of his conversation, still catching Aten off guard. The older stallion's ears twitched as he listened; Pteron didn't even wish to be in charge of the kingdom? That was the first he'd ever heard of such a thing. How could he walk away from this opportunity practically dropped into his hooves? Perhaps he didn't feel read - no, that didn't sound right to Aten's own ears. He had a nagging feeling that Lepis and Wolfbane had done their best to prepare Pteron for this position should the day come, as it did, where he inherited leadership.

And how he finishes the first piece of their conversation truly stuns Aten. The golden stallion had to take a moment to collect his thoughts, truly shocked to the point where he was speechless and his brain needed a jump-start.

When he managed to pile everything away in the corners of his mind so he could remember how to form words, he gave the younger stallion an inquisitive look.

"Forgive me if this seems quite surprising, but obviously you can I imagine I did not expect this," he began. "I won't outright deny your request, but I must ask. What brought this on so suddenly? I have encountered rulers who stepped down to deal with problems worse than helping raise a foal."

Aten didn't want to make assumptions, but seeing Pteron's daughter and mate around caused some rumors to spread among Taiga's residents. Was that the only reason, or was there something more going on here?

@[Pteron]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: i've never fallen from quite this high; aten - by Aten - 01-18-2020, 04:06 AM