• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Nothing is forever [Starnage Kids / Any]
    CAITLYN
    She always had a pretty face, I wondered why she hung around this place

We can drive home
    with one headlight

Now that my Mom was back (I still don’t realize I was adopted) things have gotten quite bright for me. The Gates is a peaceful place to live, my Mom loves me a lot. There’s always fun places to explore and I love taking naps under the cool shade of the Mother tree even though I don’t fully comprehend it’s purpose to the kingdom. I still don’t really understand the concept of a kingdom either, it just seems like a bigger size herd to me. I like it though.

I haven’t made too many friends in my new home though so I get permission to go to the Playground and meet other kids my age. I prance into the place and realize for the first time just how short I am compared to the others here. I’m not aware that I’m part Falabella and part Anglo-Arabian which is the reason behind my stunted height. Although I don’t look like a fat little pony, my legs are just not as long as my body thinks they should be. My hazel eyes take in the others hesitantly, for the first time feeling a little less sure of myself. It’s not just my shortness that makes me feel out of place. The nebula dorsal stripe along my back, filled with spiraling blues and pinks and purples , doesn’t seem to fit in either. Zebra stripped legs carry me slowly towards a small pool. Looking down at it, I study my reflection and wonder if it’s ok to not look like the others. I quickly get distracted by small fish swimming beneath the surface and giggle with delight as I watch them, a miniature hoof splashing playfully at them.

Carnage x Shirazzar
    Art by Lizavan Rees

The daughter of a god.
    My mother's pronouncement does not surprise me. I know I am intelligent and that I will grow, and someday I will be more than a match for anyone who displeases me or incites my curiosity. I imagine with academic precision how I might dismantle and rebuild the world I see around me. Everything has a purpose, even if it is simply to amuse me.

My home has become less than amusing. I feel I have wandered the cove until my curiosity has been fully sated. My mother is company, but not of the variety I am seeking now. I need companions who will grow alongside me, and perhaps be interested in the knowledge I am accumulating.

The Playground might suit your needs, my mother said. I bite back a sneer. An adult unclear on the potential of children named this place.

I enter the grounds, coolly assessing the company. The fairy flutters about. I wonder if it would be worth my time to chase her and see if she squeaks like a starling. I cock my head. Probably better if I don't. I haven't the physical strength to back up a challenge.

Childhood is something I will be happy to shed.

A tiny filly captures my attention, partly because of her stature, but then because of her coloring. Like me, she is not the usual brown or red or white. Although most of my body is a dark chocolate bay, my nose and legs, tail and mane, are all a startling shade of orchid purple.
    And this girl. She is sprinkled with stars along her back. Fascinating.

I sigh a little, wondering if she will be any amusement at all. She is splashing with fish, but as no one else nearly as interesting presents themselves, I wander over. It's an unusual feeling to tower over someone.

"What in god's name are you doing with those fish?"

I have already learned that being blunt is the fastest way to learn what I want to know.

"I'm Kersey. What do they call you?"

K E R S E Y
    the academic executioner
    daughter of carnage and killgore

Close my eyes just to look at you

My definition of ‘different’ is not quite the same as everyone else’s. Bays, blacks, horses of solid color with no real outlying markings … these are ‘different’ to me. I was born into a world of color, from the very moment I opened my eyes. My mother, the color of fresh spring grass, she is normal to me. Safe. My own reflection isn’t even that disturbing - a pale mint green, fading to a proud teal. I don’t seem to understand why the others would choose to be so boring. But then again, I’m only a young thing and I’ve no idea how the world works. I don’t even fully understand myself yet, or the power that’s hidden in my bones, in my blood. Passed on to me by a father I will never know or care to see.

Mother’s busy. She’s back home, entertaining a sly-looking white stallion. I don’t mind the fact that she’s gone. I’m never afraid when she’s not near. Instinct, I suppose. I feel more predator than prey, so I have no hesitations about wandering outside the confines of my birthplace to explore this new land. But, out here, everyone is all so bland. Even when I look around me at the other foals, no one sticks out. Bummer.

My ears fall flat, and my wily, pale green tail bats against my supple little backside. I huff, annoyed with the fact that there’s no one remotely like me. Boring earth tones as far as the eye can see. With a frustrated shake of my neck I trot further from the crowd, seeking out something tasty to occupy my time - and that’s when I see them. Two fillies; one who fades from bay to fuschia, and the other who sports a fascinating stripe down her back. “Finally.” I think, and I forget my current occupation to join them. 

Ignorant of customs or even manners, I simply interrupt. In my mind, introductions are a waste of time. “What are you two talking about?” I ask, tilting my head with the endless curiosity of a foal.

KRAZ

Taken by the seamless vision

CAITLYN

We can drive home
    with one headlight

The fish swim back and forth, unamused by my splashing. I like watching them race each other although I feel a little bad for startling them so much. My hoof is about to dip back into the water for another round when a voice startles me and I almost fall face first into the pond. ”Playing of course!” I respond with a some what wounded expression, as if I had been caught doing something I shouldn’t have. My hazel eyes (which are starting to reveal flecks of lavender) turn upwards towards the filly and I smile easily with excitement at meeting someone new. Her name is Kersey and she wants to know what my name is. ”I’m Caitlyn! It’s nice to meet you!” I can’t help but be enthusiastic for this all quite exciting. Kersey’s mane is a lovely shade of purple and I can’t help but admire it shyly. ”You’re very pretty Kersey, how did you get your mane to look that color?” I wonder if I can have a purple mane too.

Another has joined them now, this one a lovely shade of green. I feel rather plain beside them with their unique colors. All I have is my star stripe and my zebra striped legs. My mane is short and dark gray, nothing as beautiful as theirs. The boy asks what we are doing. ”I was playing with the fish…. But I would love to play a game or something. Do you want to play Kersey?” I am innocence at it’s finest, my hazel eyes pure and bright. I look to the other filly and hope they will both want to do something and won’t just leave. ”Or we could go exploring or something..” Realizing that I don’t know the colt’s name, I remember my manners quickly. ”I’m Caitlyn by the way. I live in the Gates. Where do you guys live?”

Carnage x Shirazzar
    Art by Lizavan Rees

"Of course." I repeat, mildly surprised. Is that how children play?

I nod once, sharply, as Caitlyn gives me her name. She seems… bubbly. It's confusing, and not entirely dignified of her. How can she know if it is nice to meet me? Perhaps that is just something people say.

I find it utterly stupid.

Her next question puts me at ease. Imparting knowledge is something I can handle. I am slowly becoming equipped with a vast treasure trove of the things I have learned. Of course, the dying breaths of small things is still my chief topic of interest. I glance at the silvery scaled fish. I suppose mother would like to know about them, and the color of their blood.

"I am," I respond cooly. Of course I am pretty. That is something I know. "I'm purple because my father was a god made of blue and purple and stars, and when my parents mated, a part of him became a part of me."

It doesn't occur to me that other foals may not know about the birds and the bees. Sex, however, is just another thing I am interested in learning about. That will come in time, but in the meanwhile, I know exactly how babies are made, if not how genetics work.

The arrival of a colt perks my interest. I don't have much practical knowledge of males, and I am eager to learn. What I do know is that colts have a penis, and that they grow up to be stallions and lead herds, and that they are not better than mares. But still, I am sure there is more than that. Perhaps this one will teach me things I don't yet know.

I cock my head at his question. So far he is not very different. I would have asked the same question. But then, the answer Caitlyn gave wasn't satisfactory to me. I let her take the lead, sneering a little at her exuberance. I can't see what is worth getting so excited about.

"Wouldn't it be more entertaining if we caught a fish to see how long it could survive on land?" I nose the water carefully, noting the ripples I create and the startled effect it has on the fish. Perhaps simple creatures like these could be frightened to death.

I perk my ears at Caitlyn's second suggestion. "Or exploring. I've heard there is a land with a beating heart. And one with a jaguar that prowls the jungles. I'm from Silver Cove so we shouldn't go there. I already know it."

Oh the things we could learn. I look at the pair of them, expectant.

K E R S E Y
    the academic executioner

Close my eyes just to look at you

“They’re rather at odds, aren’t they?” I think quietly, watching the two of them. I find that Caitlyn is open-minded, easier to mold and understand. Kersey, however, is strong-willed and rather annoying. I’m not sure I like her. “I’m Kraz, and I’m from the Chamber.” I say, directing my introduction mostly towards Caitlyn at this point. She suggests a game, and I’m all for it. There was nothing better than a little distraction from the present. My eyes, a frosted blue, turn to Kersey to she if she’s on board, but she suggests something that sets me off. A fish. On land. Even the stupidest of creatures understands what becomes of those who step out of their realm. Water creatures cannot breath air, and air creatures cannot breath water. My gaze flickers to the silver fish, so dormant in their world.

“Or,” I begin, turning to pin Kersey with a glare, “We could hold you underwater to see how long you’d last without air.” I smile a wicked, toothy grin, and from somewhere that is not me, a growl erupts. I blink, gathering myself and my anger with a final snort to show my thoughts on the matter before wheeling away from them to prance in a tight circle. What to do, what to do… “We should play truth or dare.” I say, turning back to look at them with a newfound excitement. My eyes narrow and I contemplate who will be the first victim, deciding finally on Caitlyn. “Caitlyn.” I begin, drawing closer to her and Kersey. “Truth? Or dare?”

KRAZ

Taken by the seamless vision

CAITLYN

We can drive home
    with one headlight

I look down at the fish and their gaping mouths as they swim around my hooves. They are shiny, scales glinting in the light, and their little bodies are so fragile and small. The thought of bringing them out of their water sanctuary makes me instantly sad. I give Kersey an odd look. Why would she want to hurt the fish? Kraz doesn’t seem to like the idea either but he is far more vocal about it then I. Kraz is from the Chamber and little to I know that soon I too will live in the Chamber but it will be against mine and mother’s will. I do not know yet that the Gates will burn and the pale winged man will come for us.

I’m open to either exploring or playing a game. Kersey wants to explore and as long as she doesn’t want to hurt anything then it could be fun. Kraz wants to play Truth or Dare. I’ve never played before but I like the weird growling green colt a bit better then the purple filly who wants to hurt my fish friends. Not wanting to seem like a wimp, even though I’m small and eager to please it doesn’t mean I wouldn’t stand up for myself, I brace myself and make sure my eyes hold Kraz’s. ”Dare!” I state boldly, wondering what I was getting myself into.

Carnage x Shirazzar
    Art by Lizavan Rees

Sorry it took me so long to respond to this!

I give the boy a cold look. He's nothing more than a child, really, for all his growling.

"You can try. But I've done that experiment and I would theorize I can survive water a lot longer than you could survive my brothers if you held me there."

I turn my attention to Caitlyn, waiting for her reaction. I am not surprised or disappointed. I roll my eyes. Kult, at least, has an interest in discovering how things come apart and why. Of course fish cannot survive outside of water. But why? What about their insides make them so different than us.

But these children clearly want to play a game, and despite my annoyance with them I am intrigued to see what Kraz has planned. Caitlyn may find him the more comforting of the two of us, but I'm no idiot. A monster lurks within his soul as readily as it does in mine.

Mine is simply more intelligent.

"You took the bait quickly." I murmur to Caitlyn, glancing at Kraz with my purple eyes bright and expectant. Come now, wolflet. You picked your game. Now follow through.

K E R S E Y
    the academic executioner