• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Lost in the deep end // Any
    He hadn't been sleeping well. Lilliana had invited him to bide in the Taiga while unclear danger lurked on the edges of their world. It was a kind thing for her to do, and he was grateful, make no mistake. But the new proximity to others gnawed on him, kept him awake when the sun's meager warmth would have otherwise lulled him into dreams. 

That was his problem today. He had not explored thoroughly enough to travel freely yet, not without adding to the collection of scrapes and bruises the massive trees seemed all too willing to dole out. Really, if he knew, his fear might be somewhat eased. Who in their mind would approach such a rough liking stallion? 

The pale lengths of his mane and tail were snarled with leaves, the broad white blaze on his face stained rusty brown from the blood that had seeped down it after one particular encounter with a low hanging branch. Even his coat hung rather drabbly from his bones. He'd had no time before the winter came to suss out the places where food still clung to life beneath the snow, and had instead resorted to stripping bark from the ever present trees. It was difficult eating, but it kept the hunger at bay.  

Lips sticky with pitch, the midnight stallion lingered morose in the quiet bower a fallen tree and formed. It was shelter, at least. Exhaustion draped itself from his ever breath, willing sleep to come. The scents of others weren't all that close, surely he could convince his cowardly mind that this constant vigil was moot necessary.

WOLFBANE

So many faces are passing through his woods that Wolfbane is beginning to think another trip outside the borders may be necessary. Why they are coming and who is sending them remains a mystery: he doesn’t like being shrouded in mystery. He also doesn’t like how freely they come and go, as if hidden eyes and curious ears weren’t watching and waiting around every bend…

Tyr was correct to feel uncomfortable here. Anyone who might pass the borders should, especially now that Wolfbane was loose and free to roam as he liked. The only shackle continuing to keep him grounded - Lepis, was her name - had been cast away. The absence of feeling altogether after their talk was a welcome balm to the pain he’d feel otherwise. Now? Now he feels instinct only. The necessity of eating. The serenity of sleeping. The urge to fuck and kill, kill and fuck. Gods protect whatever stood in his way now.

“You,” The commandant appeared from one of the many slanted shadows, striding out on glinting blue legs and with wings poised elegantly over his back, “are unfamiliar.” The accusation was a barking threat; his patience and desire for kindness are memories now. Taiga is not a playground for the rest of the world to scamper through, he would see that everyone who crossed his border knew that. This place of protection was under his guardianship and those within it, subject to his guidance.

Taiga’s days of being a neutral entity are over.

“Explain yourself.” The stallion demands, counting down the remaining seconds of patience he has left in his head.

Commandant of Taiga // Champion of Loess

@[Tyr] edgy Bane is edgy
    [Image: Wolfbane2.png][Image: 3bCHvj.png]
    There were two ways to approach every situation, and Taiga had two stallions on either side of the border to deal with newcomers. Wolfbane was a hard-headed brazen fool who would sooner jump the gun and dole out punishments to those even just trying to pass through in an effort to find shelter, perhaps on the run from something or looking for a place to call home.

And then there was the golden one, the proud stallion who would gladly hear a horse's tale out first unless he had reason to believe said horse would threaten the land he loved, and the dear ones he kept close to his heart here. Luckily, on this day, the newcomer on the forest's border wouldn't have to deal with just one, so perhaps he would be more open.

Winter was always a hard season in the forest kingdom, especially since except for the main grazing meadow, sources of food were hard to find beneath the layers of pine needles and dirt that littered the well-worn forest floor path that the kingdom inhabitants used for travel. It was especially hard when it came to the young ones, since mares had to have enough food for themselves to produce the milk needed for foals. Lethia, at this point, seemed experienced enough that Aten no longer felt guilty about leaving her for a time to scout out a new feeding opportunity, just in case a hostile kingdom member might have claimed it and staked it out, ready to attack any who came near out of fear that they would succumb to hunger.

But having lived in the forest as long as he did, Aten did not fear. The kingdom trees continued to stand tall, and as long as the bark on their trunks could grow and recover during the warmer months, and so long as new trees continued to grow, he would not let his fear consume him.

Not like in times passed.

On a chilled winter day, the golden stallion was off by himself, confident in Lethia's ability to care for her three foals. Aten would busy himself with searching for viable food sources among the trees, seeing what bark would be good for them to eat since sometimes moss didn't exactly make it tasty. All depended on the fog that rolled in from the ocean, as well as what other animals decided to partake in the feast. Certain ones didn't seem to mind where they heeded the call of nature, another thing to avoid.

Aten's eyes in the sky were also not active today, for Turul was not a fan of the cold months. Understanding as always, Aten let his friend rest without complaint, knowing the raptor would still help if needed. And despite trying to rest, he would end up doing so today.

Unknown to Wolfbane, the raptor's nesting area was close to where he had just encountered the newcomer, his angry voice waking Turul from his slumber. The falcon, easily spotting the other stallion below, whom he was not a fan of, called to Aten and gave a quick explanation. Aten didn't need a lengthy one where Wolfbane was involved.

The stallion turned and began galloping in the direction Turul told him to, spotting Wolfbane and the newcomer easily against the winter snow covering Taiga's landscape. The darker stallion seemed to be trying to find comfort in a makeshift shelter from one of Taiga's trees bending over under it's own weight, it's leaves and branches providing a way to stay out of the rain and wind.

But here was Wolfbane, as always, ever the paranoid fool. At least, that's what Aten thought.

Snorting as he came up to the two of them, the golden stallion spoke in an authoritative voice, speaking more to Wolfbane than the newcomer, "He is not obligated to meet your demands; can you not see he was merely trying to find shelter from winter's grip? Wolfbane, calm yourself; not every horse is out there to harm Taiga's forest."

Narrowing his eyes, Aten then turned to the newcomer and calmed his steely gaze, his brown eyes warm and welcoming. His tone softened as well as he studied the other stallion, "Though he is not completely in the wrong, for you are a stranger to these lands. There is a scent upon you though; faint, but I know of the mare who lives here you spoke with. Tell me, did she invite you to our lands for safety?"

@[Tyr] @[Wolfbane]
    Information 
    What he feared in the wildlands was meant to be far away here. Instead, the wild came to him, and had him cornered. His head snaked in the direction of the accusatory voice, the promise of violence crackling at he edge of quiet words. 

The thin muscles that stretched across his haunches scraped against the tree he stepped into. Rough and abrasive and a loud announcement that he had no where to run. His teeth clenched in anxiety, the muscles of his jaw tight and sore. There were words he could say, but none of them felt enough to pull him the danger breathing hotly in his face. 

Another voice.

Masculine as the first, but not nearly so hostile, even if he still wouldn't title it friendly. Willing to give him grace, though, if he could only get his tongue to work. His head swung wildly between the two voices, ears twisting like wind caught leaves. If he wasn't caught before, now he certainly was now. There was no flight, that only left fight. His feet shuffled and braced and dug into the ice crusted mulch. 

"I was invited here." He breathed, head settled somewhere between the two voices. "By a mare named Lilli, do you know her? She invited me here for the winter. She said it wouldn't be a problem but I guess she was misinformed. If I'm not welcome, I'll leave just please don't hurt me." 

He was blabbering, he knew it, but it was so difficult to not be terrified when there was so much anger bearing down on him. He could blink and blink and the darkness didn't get any less oppressive. 

@[Wolfbane] @[aten]

WOLFBANE

Sure, Tyr was blind and maybe to a less-aggravated character that would’ve been enough of a reason to go easy on him, but Wolfbane is operating on a new agenda these days. He doesn’t care for how Tyr backs away into the relative safety of the tree at his back, or how he ducks his head like a pitiful foal. Bane has seen blind horses before and one in particular has bigger balls than most stallions with two perfectly good eyes. To him this frightened, feral creature is just another nobody hoping to pass underneath the radar, except he’s come across one horse who hates two things in particular:

Nomads and being interrupted.

Before Aten even nears them Bane is looking in the direction he’ll approach from, one ear trained toward Tyr and the other expectantly positioned on the path where Aten appears moments later, snorting. Look at this sad, pathetic show of bravado, one voice snivels inside Bane’s head. The rest are aware that he’s been tattled on and Bane wonders idly where he might find that overstuffed pet Turul. He’d like to wring the birds neck and pluck his feathers out one by one, before making Aten watch as he devoured the nosy little companion. It would be deserved, for always butting in where he didn’t belong.

“I’ll get to you in a second.” He promises Tyr once the midnight-colored stallion acquiesced to his demands for an explanation. Otherwise his bi-colored eyes and stern expression are honed in on Aten.

“I don’t give a shit about what you think, Aten. If I wanted the advice of a decrepit,” The shape-shifter inhaled loudly, marking what he knew was aging flesh on the bones of a Taigan who’d opposed him from the moment he’d arrived. “sniveling little weasel I would’ve asked for it. But I didn’t, did I?” Bane accused rhetorically. In his mind he amazed himself at how calm he’d been dealing with this particular nuisance before - it shocked him now that he’d ever considered peace with such a worm.

But even worms have their weaknesses.

“You annoy me, and do you know what I do to those who annoy me?” Wolfbane posed the question for both of the stallions present, in case Tyr might doubt who had the final say about anything in Taiga. “I hurt them. And if you even think about mouthing off to me again Aten I will leave this spot and find Izora - would you like that? - I will find her, Aten, and I will hurt her and while she is hurting, I’ll make sure to let her know it was because you couldn’t leave well enough alone.” He explained quite calmly, despite the abject horror he was describing - no promising in front of an unwilling witness.

He waited a moment, then his head flicked forward and he spoke directly to Tyr. “Lilliana, I know her. She’s our best recruit and a personal favorite of mine.” The oddly stoic pegasus commented. “So long as she vouches for you, you can stay.” He answered evenly, battling to keep his thoughts off the quiet buckskin mare Aten seemed to cherish so much. Maybe you should pay her a visit anyway, a single thought crept forward, making Bane smile. It’s about time the playing field was evened out.

Commandant of Taiga // Champion of Loess

@[Tyr] @[Aten]
    [Image: Wolfbane2.png][Image: 3bCHvj.png]
    At first, Aten did not notice how the other stallion failed to look all the way in his and Wolfbane's direction, but then again that could be because the blue-striped arrogant fool was all but practically yelling at him now. Wolfbane had told the new stallion he'd 'get to him in a second' which immediately set the golden stallion on edge, for he knew Wolfbane was not the most pleasant at conversation when it came to strangers. He only seemed to appreciate talking to his Queen and their family.

Not that Aten knew what was going on between them right now, and he didn't care.

Wolfbane's name-calling did not phase the golden stallion, for he knew he was older than the former. He did not yet feel it though, his form still youthful and strong despite the more than a dozen springs he'd spent in this land. His muscles were thick with strength, his gait flowing across the land when he ran. He could still fight, for the scars on his body spoke of his time as a bachelor, and he was not one to take insults from any horse, older or younger.

But he also knew when to hold his tongue. Starting a fight with Wolfbane now in front of this stranger might only serve whatever negative words he'd heard about the forest kingdom, if any.

"You didn't need to ask for my opinion. But I find your intimidating attitude toward a visiting stranger more than just rude. He comes here seeking cover, and even says he knows a horse here, so we should listen to his side of the story."

But Wolfbane didn't seem to care, as he'd stated anyways. He spoke of how Aten annoyed him, saying he hurt those that annoyed him. The golden stallion would've rolled his eyes had Wolfbane not gone on, but what he said next made Aten's blood run cold. Or rather, heat up, when he began to get angry.

He could already feel the nature inside him turning as soon as Wolfbane say the name of the buckskin mare Aten thought of as his. He threatened to hurt her, to tell her why he had decided to hurt her. With every word that left Wolfbane's mouth, Aten's blood boiled to the point that his skin was starting to change, and if one looked carefully when the sun hit just right, they would possibly see he was no longer covered by the natural hair a horse had... but with something stronger, tougher, more sinister...

The stallion took in a deep breath to calm himself, feeling the inside of his nose get hot as well from the steam building in his belly and chest that happened when his inner fire was stoked. The thick layer of saliva already building up around his tongue also affected his speech a bit, but with each word he would say next, it faded so he could talk normally again.

"It would be a very wise investment for your future that you do not even think of so much as touching her," he all but growled out, his voice deep and angry, but steady.

Wolfbane didn't say anything else to Aten, instead talking to Tyr next about the condition he needed to stay. Aten let him finish what he had to say to Tyr before he also addressed the dark stallion, briefly noting something different about his eyes before talking.

"I apologize if either of our behavior has unnerved you. Lilliana is about, so most likely either myself or Wolfbane will spot her before the end of the day and ask her about you."

Deciding his business was done, and so he could go question Lilliana about the dark stallion, Aten turned to leave. As he did, he stopped and glanced at Wolfbane, "And whether you think I mouth off to you or not, I do not care either. I have as much of a right to greet newcomers as you do, though there seems to be a big difference in our methods."

Noting he also needed to get the word out to Turul to keep an eye on Lethia and the children, Aten walked away, taking in deep breaths to cool his rising body temperature before he gave away something he shouldn't yet.

@[Tyr] @[Wolfbane]

It had been a long winter so far, or so she thought anyways when the meadow she grew up in was always mild. She had found herself in a lull of sorts since Aries had brought her to Taiga in fear that she just NEEDED a home. Now she was just fat with pregnancy and irritable.

She spent most of her days drifting through the large redwood trees, and spending time with Aries on occasion when Wolfbane didn't have him training or what ever he was doing. Today was just like any other as she broke the fresh snow beneath her in search of something to ease her nausea. Her focus was compromised however when the wind shifted carrying with it conversation, conversation of men. She rolled her eyes in annoyance as she looked up from her current task.

The voices seemed stern, angry, upset maybe? And she huffed as she shook her head. Why couldn't men ever get along, always trying to step to each other.

She moved closer to the voices, reaching out with her eight ball eye but only coming up black and empty. She must not have met these men before. This realization peaked her curiosity as she continued her way closer to the trio not to far away.

Her good eye settled first on the shorter gold and blue pegasus with an upright mane that reminded her of a peacock. It didn't take a genius to figure out that he wasn't very pleased. The second to catch her attention was a tall, chiseled, golden stallion who appeared irritated with the first. Maybe she should just turn around, and go home. There was no need for her to involve herself with this pissing battle.

But as she began to turn the voice of the third stopped her in her tracks. He had his back to her, shoved closely up to the tree behind him. His voice rang familiar in her mind, this man she knew. A half frown adorned her face as she searched for the connection, moving ever closer as the two manly men continued to spit venom at each other. 

It didn't take her long before she remembered exactly who the third midnight stallion was. Laughter bubbled from her mouth as she advanced to stand beside the aztecian man. Tyr! Is that really you? her voice came out confidently brimming with recognition and friendliness. Her icy blue eye passing over the other two ass hats only briefly before focusing all her attention on Tyr, who seemed lost and frightened. What had they done to him? Anger quickly replaced her gay mood. Are you okay? Did they hurt you? she said looking the stallion over, her eyes locking on the fresh scrapes he had endured trying to navigate the woods.

felicitey

who do you think you are? collecting your jar of hearts.

@[Tyr] @[Wolfbane] @[Aten] tada! And in walks a hormonal woman.
    LitotesxNimueIsolde
    Untitled23-1
    His father could whistle and the sounds painted pictures for him to navigate by. While Tyr's hearing was rather better than that of the average horse, he still had never gotten the knack of the echolocation his side employed. He could guess and ponder at the shapes of things, could navigate freely if given enough time to familiarize with a location. But the truth in appearances was forever his mystery. 

Now as he felt rough bark at his back and heard rough voices at his front, the stallion wished desperately that he could see what was before him. To battle an unseen enemy was no simple task, and these bickering individuals held nothing but wrath for each other, it seemed. The second comer did not seem angry at him, per say, but at the first one who had challenged him. For the moment, Tyr found himself grateful for the distraction the two seemed to find in each other, no longer holding him directly in their minds. 

From the moment he'd been challenged, the blue-black sepals of his ears had lain flat against his skull. Only now did they begin to left away, still twisting anxiously to and fro. The threats he heard were violent things, promises of destruction of the worst kind. What sort of place was this he'd come to? And who was this beast of a horse who found himself above simple courtesy? For all that he had not been raised with the social graces of someone kingdom born, his parents had still managed to convey that others should be treated with respect, especially upon first meeting. 

This fellow's parents seemed to have neglected that lesson. He felt himself bristle as a name was mentioned, and by the fact she'd been brought up and by the kinder stallion's reaction, Tyr figured she was likely important to him. Now that just wasn't going to fly. He'd been keen on holding his tongue throughout all the nonsense being thrown back and forth, but to threaten the family of another just because he'd chosen to intervene seemed wrong in the worst of ways. 

He was poised to gather his own meager courage and say his own piece when yet another voice made itself known. Paired with a scent that brought to mind mountain air and sweet dewy grass, with something feral underneath. Well hell. "Felicitey, what are you doing here?" Sudden concern flooded his chest over what might happen to the girl if she riled the one called Wolfbane. "These gentlemen seem to be having words and I'll blame myself forever if you get tangled up in this. They haven't touched me." He tried to sound reassuring, knowning it might just be coming off as desperate. 

Felicitey had been an unexpected kindness to him once. He hoped he wasn't about to return the favor by getting her injured or killed over his own ineptitude. For now it seemed best to try and deescalate the situation as much as was in his power. With a humble bow of his head, the raggedy stallion kept his voice low and easy despite the nerves quaking beneath his skin. "Thank you both for your patience. Please give Lilli my best when you see her. I appreciate your letting me keep to shelter here in the meanwhile." He wanted to look small and unimportant, a target not worth wasting the energy on. It was the only way he knew how to survive. 

@[Wolfbane] @[Aten] @[Felicitey]