• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  light a candle, cast a shadow [pt.3]
    In the velvety darkness, the young palomino slowly uncurls, slowly stands and looks about her blindly. There is nothing. No panic, no deer, not black monsters gliding in for the kill. There is only a close darkness and the incessant yellow eyes, spinning softly around her while she gains her footing. Her nostrils flare, but there's no scent on the air, no sound. Eyes drift near and the filly squeals, reaching out with flashing teeth to bite the creature, but her jaws close on nothing, the eyes close and are gone. Do they re-open elsewhere? There are so many, she cannot tell which are which. The fear of the Hunt turns to anger and she stamps her hoof against the shadows underfoot.

"Why did you take me there?" Her voice is shrill and sharp with mingled fear and anger. It is thin against that closeness, a needle hidden in layers of black wool.

because that is where you were going

The breath is in her ear again, but there is nobody beside her, there are not even eyes.

She squeals, screwing her eyes shut, flinching away from the dry rasp. It's a voice like dead leaves and smoke, "Leave me alone! Don't take me anywhere! I just want to get back to my mom!"

All at once, the eyes disappear. There is no more voice, no more spiraling eyes, just blackness that surrounds her, impossible darkness. She doesn't open her eyes to see them go, not even when she starts running, but what does it matter in this place where there isn't light to see? She runs for perhaps hours, perhaps days, it feels like years and passes in a minute, but all at once, her eyes fly open wide and she gasps aloud, sliding to a stop in soft earth. She cannot tell if she has gone anywhere because all she sees around her is the same nothing. Only the pounding of her heart and the heaving of her young chest tells her anything at all. Her cheeks feel tight with tears dried across them.

Where you were going... the words echo in her head. The air had been warm and dry in spite of the damp autumn that had surrounded them in the Meadow. The sandy soil.

"The desert."

The eyes had taken her to to the desert! But why would they do that? They had taken her back to the path at the base of the Mountain, too. They had been helping. She had been lost and they took her where she had meant to go. Panic flares in her chest again. Where, then, had she gotten to on her own?For a moment, the filly stands, one hoof poised cautiously in the air.

When she sets it down, it is with intention, but there is no ground beneath it. There is a shifting darkness and an intense cold, the light turns a different shade of black, then blue. The cold makes her gasp and water fills her lungs. She's drowning in the depths of an icy sea, falling out of the shadows that lurk in the deep. She tries to cough and more water floods through her nostrils. A different sort of darkness is already fuzzing out her eyes as her legs flail out in a spasm of useless thrashing. She does not know how to swim, she's already lost to the waves. A last moment before unconsciousness and death illicits hallucinations, black tendrils wrapping around her body, a set of yellow eyes peering at her from the depths below. They fade away.

Darkness again, but this time, no eyes.

Beryl
    Litotes x Mehendi