• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  between the lines of fear and blame; anyone
    The first island he'd landed on was Ischia, but a smiling resident had directed him further north. Now, blue digs his hooves into the smooth sand of the tropical island, and takes a deep breath.

It smells of sun and sand and peace and quiet. Castile had been right, the brindle colt thinks to himself.

He meanders down to the water and walks some distance along the beach, following the southern coast until it become the western edged. To his left stretches the ocean, broad and never-ending. To his right a thick and lush green world, quiet but for the rustle of small creatures. Blue smiles to himself, shakes out the length of his white mane. Sometime between his invitation from Ruinam and his arrival here, he'd bathed in a stream, and the mud and brambles had been eased out of his hair with a long soak. Now his mane stands upright with only a slight list where it grows heavy, running from his poll to his tail in one unending line. 

It's his father's mane, though he doesn't know it, an inescapable mark of his heritage. A heritage he does not remember; his only memories are heat and fire and burning. A second time, he shakes his head, as though to clear the thoughts from his mind. He hears a sound ahead, and his bright blue eyes peer forward curiously.
    There is nothing but a quiet and peaceful air that lingers here. It is all she has ever known. Much of the Resort has always been that way since she was born. There are only few of them here, but she doesn’t mind the quietness at times.

However, today was different.

She inhales something new and unfamiliar as the wind gives way with a new scent in her direction. Divest, curious of the new scent, makes her way towards the western edge of the island coming from the lusher green area. Her silver eyes scan the beach, tracing from the north and then down the south. Quickly, she catches sight of the winged perlino dun.

A quick smile spreads across her silver lips. “Hello?” She calls out towards the winged stallion. Her voice is warm and welcoming, a hint of curiosity as she greets him with her call. The green pastel yearling closes the distance between them on the beach.

She overlooks him more as he is finally clear in her view. There was something instantly charming about him. Perhaps it was those bright blue eyes that looked back at her. Her smile grows a little more at thought. “Welcome. I’m Divest,” she greets, “What brings you to the Resort?” It was not often their quiet paradise was visited by outsiders.

@[Gale]
    [Image: Wi3xi5K.png]
    Profile | Detailed Bio | Character Reference
    (pixel via bronzehalo)
    At first he does not see her well, just a shifting bit of pastel against the lush green undergrowth. Good camouflage for this place, he thinks to himself, and then wonders why he considers that good. Somewhere, tickling at the back of his mind is a memory. It will vanish if he reaches for it, the brindle knows, so instead he leaves it lie and focuses instead on the yearling filly drawing near.

Though he cannot be quite sure how old he is, she does not seem many years younger. Still a child, but friendly and with a smile that brings a matching one to his mouth.

“Hello Divest,” he replies, bobbing his head in greeting without wondering how he knows that is the polite thing to do. “You can call me Blue. ”

It’s the name he had chosen in the Field, an apt description of himself if nothing else. It hadn’t seemed too outlandish a name, and it was far better than admitting that he did not have one. Or at least that he does not remember having one.

“I think I’m going to live here.” He tells her, recalling that Castile had implied that this place was nearly empty save the friendly Ruinam. Divest is here though, and young enough that he thinks her mother must be as well. “Are you Ruinam’s daughter?” He asks curiously. They are both pale, after all, and perhaps if her mother were some shade of emerald green then Ruinam as her sire would make sense.

@[Divest]
    Divest considers the new stranger for a moment. Her silver eyes move across the winged perlino stallion, noticing the different markings and features that entirely make up his appearance. She tries to not make it obvious by the way she studies him—Divest is simply curious. She cannot remember the last time a stranger came to the Island. It seemed the last time the pastel yearling had found a stranger on their island was when she met Vita.

“Blue suits you well,” she offers with a small smile. It was a simple and honest statement, which often Divest has no problem saying factual things to others. She was always more forward when it came to say what she felt and thought.

Her spreads a little further at Blue’s words for him living on the Resort. It was beginning to feel a lot lonelier here now. When Divest was younger she enjoyed the island all to herself. Most of the time she pretended she was the queen of the island. However, simply children games not longer suited her. She longed for more than simple childhood trivial.

“Good!” She exclaims with excitement. “We could use some more around here. It’s been too quiet here lately.” Everyone at the Resort would be pleased to have a new face around. At the mention of Ruinam being her father, the pastel yearling laughs softly. “No. Ruinam is like an uncle to me. My mom. Mary is her name. Has been friends with him a long time.” She explains. Divest had never thought of Ruinam to be like a father. Then again, she never did meet her father. An expression of concern flashes across her face for a moment at that thought.

She shakes her head slightly, tossing the thought away and focusing on Blue once more. “Is Ruinam how you came to the Resort?” She asks curiously.

@[Gale]
    (pixel via bronzehalo)
    Blue blinks his long-lashed eyes, and then looks at himself. It is through Divest’s eyes as she takes it his features, and he is curious about what she sees, where she looks, how she tries to hide it. He likes looking, cannot fathom not doing so, and often prefers to do so from the gaze of others. He slips back to his own sight with another blink, and beams at her easy proclamation.

“I thought so too,” he tells her truthfully; that had seemed better than ‘Wing’ or ‘Boy’ or ‘Gale’, all ideas he had mulled over before introducing himself to the trio in the Field.

Divest seems pleased by his arrival, or at least the addition of another body to the population of the Resort. Blue decides to think that it is a bit of both, even if he thinks that the quiet of the place is a good bit of his charm. There are few horses here, and that means fewer probing questions, fewer dropped conversations when he realizes his options are to admit his lack of memory or make up an elaborate lie. Blue usually chooses the first. Someone, somewhere, had taught him the importance of truth. The pastel filly seems amused by his suggestion that Ruinam might be her father, and so her denial of the guess comes as no surprise. Ruinam is her mother’s friend, she explains, and yet the length of their acuwantiance sudden seems to concern her.

He would never dream of prying, but an empathetic flicker of concern crosses his own face, slipping away when it seems clear that the girl has handled the issue without speaking.

“Yes,” he affirms with a bob of his head. “We met in the Field, and I was in need of a place to go. And you? Have you always lived here then?”
    She doesn’t miss the flicker of concern that crosses over his face. The pastel yearling had truly realized she had exposed her internal thoughts outwardly. It was not something she had done before either considering she never had to hide her thoughts and feelings, but perhaps it was something she should be doing.

Divest was not one to simply hold herself back, but not knowing what she was feeling and show it to others was a different story. She didn’t want to appear weak and unconfident. So, with a swish of her silver tail, a soft smile appears across her soft green colored lips as she listens to how Blue had come to the island.

“Oh,” she says softly after hearing him come from the Field. Divest wonders if Ruinam decided to maybe try and get some life into this place once more. She didn’t have an issue bringing new faces to the Resort. In fact, it would be good to finally liven up the place a bit. “Well, you came to the right place if you want to feel the sunshine every day for the whole year and forget about your worries.” Divest laughs softly at the last part. It was simply easy to forget a lot of things living in such a beauty place.

“Yeah,” she confirms with an increased smile. “I was born here and pretty much that’s all to it.” She shrugs her shoulder, realizing how boring it might sound. Divest has only ever left the island one time and that had been a complete adventure in itself with visiting all sorts of the different lands to of Beqanna. “I don’t know if I’ll ever leave here, it’s far too nice of a place,” she comments but perhaps there will be a day she will grow bored of the tropical island and seek a new adventure. “Are you from Beqanna originally?” There were a lot of places in Beqanna. Maybe Blue decided to leave his own home and go off on his own.

@[Gale]
    (pixel via bronzehalo)
    Sunshine every day of the year sounds like paradise.

Winter has reached the rest of Beqanna. Yet they stand here in weather just cool enough to make sunbathing an appealing but unnecessary thing. There is no snow, just a few distant clouds on the horizon that promise a brief afternoon shower. It is easy to forget about any worries when the most vital decision the blue colt has to make is if he wants papaya or jackfruit for dinner. Lately even that hasn’t been a choice – he’s been too gorged on the seagrass that grows thick and green with the season’s frequent showers to even think about dinner. Just enough horses that he might socialize if he needs to (which is rarely, with days like this one an infrequent exception).

The long beaches are perfect for take off and landing, and Blue has been growing rather adept at flight. A bit of a daredevil too, it might be said. It is difficult for him to be overly cautious, knowing as he does that any injury will heal by the time he pulls himself to his feet (or to the surface of the water). The long feathers of his wings shiver at the unconscious memory of breaking bone, but he nods agreeably at the idea that this place is one to forget all worries.

He’s never been happier.

Divest tells him that she was born here, and the bright-eyed brindle smiles softly at the confirmation of his suspicion. He had also never left his birthland: exploring was well and good but the hills with his family was home. Hadn’t he? But then…what is dong here? How did he get to the Field?

“I think so.” He tells her with a frown. “But most of my memory is a blur before meeting Ruinam in the Field.” The way he says it is matter of fact, something he has come to terms with. And he has for the most part. “It’s coming back a little at a time.” It is something of a heavy admission, and Blue turns back from where his gaze has drifted toward the mainland. Give it time, he reminds himself, and time seems to be in abundance here in Paradise. 

@[Divest]
    Her ears flicker with concern at the sound of his answer. A frown slowly replaces the smile that once lifted her soft pastel colored lips up. Divest examines him for a moment while she wonders how such a thing happened to her new acquaintance.

It seemed impossible entirely to her. The yearling had never thought of what it would be like to lose her memory. Would she remember only bits and pieces, or would she forget everything? Divest would hope it would be the first. It seemed simpler.

Part of her considers prodding more information out of Blue about how it all happened, but she thinks it might not be a good idea. He didn’t seem too keen on the subject either she decides as he looks away towards the mainland. “I’m sorry to hear that,” she offers with a genuine soft smile, “I hope one day you will remember.” Divest leaves it there then. Being so young, she had no idea how to reassure Blue about such things. Perhaps there was nothing she could say that would help.

But something quickly comes to her mind.

Divest turns her silver eyes towards the deeper part of the island. “Would you like to see more of the island?” She offers as the thought comes to her mind and she turns to look at Blue once again. Maybe an adventure would lighten up the mood and help ease her new friend’s mind. Divest could use some fun right now.

@[Gale]
    (pixel via bronzehalo)
    The pastel filly’s reaction is as kind of one as he can expect, and while the grateful smile that he offers her is a bit subdued, that is only to be expected given the topic. “Thank you,” he replies with a gaze hat flicks back to hers for just a moment. “I hope so too.” That she cannot help is a given, but Blue has not been seeking assistance. He has grown used to (if not yet comfortable with) the emptiness of his early memories. That emptiness is as familiar as the memories he does recall: all those formed in the time since he woke up beneath the earth.

Divest offers to show him the island, and the young stallion nods with a smile much more enthusiastic than the one before.

“I would love that,” Blue tells her truthfully. “I bet you know it better than most, being born here and all.” He has seen some of the carvings and a great deal of the fruit groves, but little else. There is no need to go farther than his sleeping spot and the beaches from where he flies. No need, but perhaps a good time, he realizes. “Would you show me your third favorite place on the island?” Blue asks. The brindle stallion knows the request is unusual, but he has heard someone ask it before. Someone whose face he cannot remember, but whose lessons on how to get to know a place from the locals have remained.

@[Divest]
    At the exact moment she sees the young stallion’s smile turn to more genuine and with enthusiasm, a smile grows across her own lips. It was the perfect plan! Divest was glad to see some excitement light back up in Blue.

“I suppose so,” the green pastel filly considers for a moment. She has only ever truly known the island and nothing else. Her mother wasn’t around as often anymore, which meant Divest had to learn to be more independent and keep herself occupied. It led to exploring a lot of the Resort and finding new hidden pieces she feels no one might have ever found.

Dive tilts her head at the request. She had never thought of her third favorite place on the island before. Normally it was either the first favorite place everyone asked to be shown. Thinking hard for a few moments, her face scrunches up slightly in thought. Her silver eyes flicker away from Blue and look towards the inner part of the island. She glances from one place to the next and then smiles wildly when a place comes to her mind.

“I know where we can go!” She says as her eyes gleam with delight. The pastel filly quickly takes a few steps towards the inner west part of the island. “C’mon, let’s go!” She tells Blue turning her head around and waiting for him to follow.

When he does follow her, she moves in the direction towards the central smaller island. Divest had always thought an island within an island was bizarre, but she soon learned it made her home even more unique just as the wooden orca cravings did. “I don’t think any of the other islands have another island,” she says with a smile as they reach where the water surrounds the smaller island of the Resort. However, this wasn’t her third favorite spot on the island.

Divest naturally knows the shallower parts of the water and makes her way easily across to the other side. She turns to make sure Blue follows along and doesn’t struggle, but she figures the younger stallion could make it easily across the water as she did. It wasn’t the sea after all. “I hope you like to swim,” she tells him as she moves along the edge of the small island towards the southwestern part of it. 

Excitement began to fill her even more now as she realized they were close. “We are almost there!” She says turning to look to Blue.

@[Gale]
    (pixel via bronzehalo)