• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  i feel a bad moon rising | ruinam
    lepis, comtesse of taiga
    RUN AND TELL ALL OF THE ANGELS; THIS COULD TAKE ALL NIGHT
    i think i need a devil to help me get things right

Winter has not yet closed its fist around Beqanna, but the autumn winds blow hard. Fortunately for the golden mare, they carry her south and west with little effort besides the spread of her wings, and a tilt here and there to keep her direction right. Over the sea, the strong gusts fade away, ripped and churned by other aerial currents. Lepis navy mane is knotted and tangled by the time she lands on the white beach of Island Resort and sweat has lathered on mostly-grown winter coat. In Taiga, it would have kept her comfortably warm, but here at the Island Resort it is overwarm.

Yet despite what is apparent physical discomfort, the perlino mare that tucks her wings in around her looks anything but flustered. Her face, bearing faint lines of middle age, is strong rather than beautiful, and the way she holds her neck – scarred and uncovered as it is by the tangle of her mane that falls only on the left – is proud and haughty when at ease. Yet she smiles readily at the arrival of another horse, and the lines around her eyes and mouth are revealed to be those of a creature who is accustomed to laughing freely and frequently.

Aten and Izora Lethia had come these shores midsummer; less than three months have passed since the last Taigan diplomat had set hoof on the Island resort. Yet Lepis is clearly from the redwood forest; the scent of the evergreens has leeched into her skin, and a few bits of pine needle cling to her mane and tail despite the buffeting winds of her trip. “Hello,” she says to the horse who comes to greet her. “I’ve come to speak to Ruinam.” For a moment she considers asking if they might take her to him, but she knows the population of the island is small. Perhaps this horse is Ruinam himself, and so she remains silent as she waits for a reply.

@[Ruinam]

winter wonderland

He has had time to clear his mind, to prepare for his challenge and most likely, his eventual demise. He had been naive, almost foolish and it was now time to pay the price.

The weather remains stagnant, almost bothersome at a time like this, he needed the change in weather, even the slightest drop of water to soothe his dry and pale skin.
    Though his wish seems to answer itself in another way, a disturbance in the forest brought forth by his trusty companion who runs to him howling and barking, informing him of a new arrival. Ruinam's eyes spark, excited to see what was going on the lonely island, his step quick and light as he rushes toward the stranger.

The scent that greets him before he reaches the beach is familiar, perhaps Aten again, though it is deceptive, when he reaches the beach he halts for a moment "Lepis?" he mumbles, walking slowly now as he approaches her, unsure of why she had come shortly after Aten's visit.

"You've reached the right horse, I am Ruinam" he says, his expression inviting, though his voice dull "What can I do for you today?" he asks, wondering what she had to offer after Aten's disappointing meeting.
    A lot of thoughts run through his mind, he had already put himself in a precarious situation with his current challenge and had become unsure of whether he should even participate in diplomatic visits, unsure and afraid of his future on the island 

Ruinam
    @[Lepis] Sorry to keep you waiting this long
    ruinam-500px
    lepis, comtesse of taiga

Though he is too far away to hear the world, the dun pegasus recognizes the shape of her name on someone else’s lips. Even on those of a stranger, for she is sure that she does not know the snow stallion that moves toward her. That he knows her is obvious – but then how many stocky dun pegasi are there in Beqanna, let alone with her coloring and signature scars> Few, she supposes, and none of them as likely to show up right after a diplomatic trip gone sideways. It hadn’t sunk entirely, Lepis thinks to herself, but it had certainly drifted far off course and landed in a harbor she’d never have chosen herself. That is the danger of letting others captain the ship, her trail of thought continues, lost in metaphors for the sea that frames the approaching stallion.

“I’ve heard the last encounter between our lands did not end well.” She begins, glancing at the white stallion in an effort to learn his reaction to that characterization of the interaction. The leader of the Island Resort does not have a voice to match his expression, and Lepis wonders which reflects his true emotion.

“I came to see if I might improve upon that with an offer only of friendship, with no expectations from you our yours.” That their ties to Loess were a sticking point had been mentioned by both diplomats, and Lepis wonders if perhaps that is what keeps Ruinam’s voice from syncing up with his expression. There is more she could say, reassurances that she could offer, and yet the dun mare suspects that silence might be better. Silence in which to listen, to wait with curious blue-grey eyes for the taller stallion to answer.

@[Ruinam]

winter wonderland

He watches the grains of sand around his hooves fall, singular granules forming a wave of sand that moves, almost as if it is alive, moving as one. Though the image strikes a conviction in him,  understanding that he now has the chance to create something he misunderstood at first, gain friendships and form bonds, especially at a time like this when relying on Tephra was out the window.

"Well, it was a little unfortunate" he smiles, his tone portraying a hint of humour this time.
    The meeting between the three had likely been lacklustre at best, but it still opened new avenues and gave the stallion ideas he had previously not thought of, and now he could use that to his advantage.

He shifts his posture ever so slightly, his legs sinking slightly into the pleasantly warm sand as he relaxes "Friendship between our lands is all I hoped for, friendly challenges, steals, all the usual" he nods, pausing before speaking again "I hope you are well Lepis, and Taiga too" he says, his tone soft and welcoming.

Though now he falters, unsure of whether he should continue "I must be upfront with you Lepis" he says, his muscles tensing for a moment, trying to decide if he was making a mistake "Changes are coming to the Resort, which is why I have found it hard to trust anyone, this is why when Aten appeared offering an alliance, I was a little worried" he says, his muscles relaxing again once he lets everything out, he wasn't going to tell her about the plan, not quite yet, it wasn't ready to go forward.

"I will admit, I do not have the best of connections with Loess, which is why when Aten told me that Taiga already had a technical alliance to Loess, due to your ties, I had to refuse," he says sincerely, though perhaps he had been too open, a naive trait that would more than like come back to make him fall. 

Ruinam
    @[Lepis]
    ruinam-500px
    lepis, comtesse of taiga

When smiles, Lepis’ dark ears flick forward, and this time the soft humor in his voices matches his expression. A little unfortunate, he says, and Lepis breathes an imperceptible sigh of relief that that is how he saw it. Nothing insurmountable, then perhaps something that can even be overcome in an honest conversation. Ruinam seems to think along the same lines, and relaxes before speaking again. Lepis does the same, a small shifting of her shoulders so that her wings are not held so tightly, allowing a cool island breeze to weave through the golden feathers.

Friendship is what he wants, the same that she had wanted Aten to propose, and a satisfied smile curls the edges of her navy mouth as she nods agreeably. He mentions her own wellbeing as well of that of Taiga, and she nods agreeable. “The redwoods are thriving,” she confirms, “growing larger every day.” And they are, families expanding and friends coming back to roost. It is everything that Lepis could have wanted. The pleasant thought of her thriving home bears her through the sudden faltering of the pale stallion. There is something he is hesitant to say, that is all to clear.

When he says he must be upfront with her, Lepis nods in an encouraging manner: she clearly wants the same.

Ruinam speaks of difficulties with trust, worries over the alliance Aten had offered, poor connections with Loess and trepidations over her own ties with the southern land. The man seems sincere, and for a moment after he falls quiet, Lepis mirrors his silence. She is not disturbed, though a faint frown has replaced her satisfied smile. When she finally speaks, it is with hesitance, for she suspects the topic to be a delicate one.

“If it not too much to ask: what exactly is it about my ties to Loess that cause you concern?”

@[Ruinam]

winter wonderland

The ivory male is glad to see the mare relax, hopeful that they would be able to come to some sort of agreement that would be beneficial toward both their lands, especially with the current predicament the resort had found itself in.

"I am glad to hear that. The Resort is doing a lot better now as well" especially after the challenge, Ruinam felt like most of the Resort had banded together, even feeling that the Ischians next door were ready to support him whenever he was ready to make his next move.
    "I'm not sure if you've heard yet, but the Resort has got itself into quite an interesting situation with Tephra, it's, a delicate situation at best" he humours before the conversation takes a rather gloomy turn.

"It is fine," he says, hoping that Lepis hadn't been offended "When I first arrived in Beqanna, I was taken in by Sinner and Mary. They had taught me how to function in Beqanna and made me into a diplomat." He had especially become quite attached to Sinner, getting used to following him and serving him, even taking over the resort on command
    "Though at times I really feel like I should've listened a little more, maybe then I wouldn't have gotten myself and the resort into a prickly situation" he muses, laughing for a moment before steadying his breath and continuing.

"When they were overthrown after the war, I felt quite lost and had no one to fall back on, I resented Castile more than anyone I knew, especially when I had found out that Mary had joined him," he says with a huff of air escaping his lungs "I never really got over it, it's probably quite petty of me, but I just don't trust him, and in turn I guess I don't trust the lands attached to him" he says looking directly at Lepis, hoping he hadn't said anything that would turn her away.

He had especially felt lost when he visited Castile, trying to seek information for his quest granted by the faeries, though perhaps he had just been selfish then and barely understood what Castile was trying to do. 

Ruinam
    ruinam-500px
    the rain that falls upon your skin
    it's closer than my hands have been

The resort is doing well, he shares, and then drops something far more salacious. And interesting situation, he says. A delicate one. Lepis’s dark-rimmed ears prick curiously, and even when he continues to answer the question that she’d posed, the Comtesse knows that this is a subject she would dearly love to return to. 

“Dragons don’t inspire much trust,” Lepis replies, her navy lips quirked up in a soft smile. Even she, raised in a nest of them, hesitates still. They are monsters, after all, beasts despite their (sometimes) gentle natures. Castile’s gentle nature is certainly well-shielded; that he has not shown his softer heart to this man who admires Sinner and Mary comes as no surprise.

“They mutinied, you know?” She says, watching the pale stallion. “Sinner and Mary, I mean. They rebelled against Loess, sided with the Tephrans, even after all Castile had done for them.” such was the nature of Sylvans, Lepis thinks, the autumnal forest and its taint would best serve Beqanna by burning to the ground. “And yet Castile forgave Mary, even trusts her on diplomatic missions, if what I hear is true.” A rumor, one that Mary had been seen speaking with the Tephran leaders, but one that if true might help show the truth of the matter.

“I am biased, perhaps, having been raised by the man.” The pegasus shrugs her winged shoulders, acknowledging this with a small smile. “And while he might deserve his draconic reputation, there is more to him that fire and claw. I trust him enough to try and separate Taiga from Nerine in favor of tighter relations with Loess.” Another shrug, speaking of her own mutiny without difficulty. Of course, she hasn’t sided against Nerine in war, but rather asked  - politely, even, Lepis thinks – for the freedom to act in her forested home’s best interest.

“I must admit though, you piqued my interest earlier. What is this delicate situation with Tephra you speak of?”

@[Ruinam]

lepis, comtesse of taiga
    queen of loess
    | queen of sylva | queen of the south
    lover of wolfbane | mother of pteron, marni, tiercal, eyas, gale, celina, and elio

winter wonderland

When Sinner had first instructed him to take over the resort, mainly as a tactful advantage, the stallion was hesitant at first, he had no prior experience in leading anything and had no idea if his then quiet personality would be fit for leadership.
    Though in a way when Sylva was taken over by Castile and all his contact with the hound was severred, Ruinam had quickly adapted to solidarity and learned how to lead on his own without the help of Sinner or Mary, quickly becoming independent and filled with purpose.

He nods as Lepis speaks, his ears perfectly tuned in to her voice as he stands, watching his companion moving along the shoreline "Perhaps you are right, though I am unsure of how to mend our relations" he says honestly, looking back toward the mare.
    "I guess Castile's annexing of Sylva helped me in a way, it definitely helped me seperate from Sinner and Mary and shaped me into a hopefully better leader" he says with a hint of a smile.

He had guessed that Lepis would ask about the resort's situation, though he didn't mind all that much, perhaps he could even gain her trust in replying "Well, a while a go I had an idea to seperate the three islands of Beqanna, two of them under one island kindom to create a sort of safe haven for those that wanted to get away from the mainland" he pauses, looking out toward Tephra "When I visited Ischia to figure out how we would go forward with the idea, Vulgaris had managed to find me" he says, his breath heavy this time as he thinks back to the sticky situation he had created.

"I tried to resolve things peacefully and diplomatically, but that didn't go so well and before I knew it I had been challenged and put against Maleficar. My leadership of the resort was on the line, but thankfully I had managed to win the challenge and maintain my leadership. Which now puts me in an uncomfortable situation with Tephra" he says, his companion joining his side once again as he looks toward Lepis with a smile.

Ruinam
    @[Lepis]
    ruinam-500px
    again you’re gone, off on a different path than mine
    i'm left behind wondering if i should follow

He is unsure how to mend relations with Loess, and Lepis doesn’t blame him. When things with a dragon are broken, reparations are not without risk. Still, she is sure that Castile would see reason if things were laid in front of him the right way. There are advantages to friendship, after all, even if the friends are not always subservient. She’ll have to bring it up to him at their next encounter, she thinks, which will be sooner than either of them expect. Ruinam’s answer to her query is informative, and the dun mare listens with rapt attention.

“They’re so prideful, aren’t they?” Ponders the mare for whom pride is a core component of her sense of self. “Tephra and Nerine, so sure that only they deserve to rule their territories.” Lepis’ tone is soft, more reflective than probing, and she blinks as though realizing that perhaps Ruinam might not understand what she means.

“I proposed to Heartfire that Taiga be freed from Nerine. To say that she took it well would be a lie.” The mare’s navy mouth turns up in a wry smile, but it does not reach her eyes.

Movement at Ruinam’s feet catch her attention then, and Lepis’ blue-grey eyes flick down to where a fox stands at his side. The little creature reminds her very much of the fox that Jesper had shifted into. Yet while there is perhaps more intelligence than usual in the creature’s gaze, it does not strike her as a shifter. A companion perhaps, Lepis decides, thinking of Aten’s eagle and the spotted cat that follows at his son’s heels.

“Does he – she? – have a name?” Lepis asks curiously, looking back up at Ruinam.

@[Ruinam]

LEPIS
    i’m the one who sees you home--
    but now i’m lost in the woods

and i don’t know what path you are on