• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  don't come find me; any
    There was everything to love about living completely on a tropical island. The weather was always warm. Every day the sun was shining. The Resort was simply one of the rare paradises around in Beqanna. However, it was beginning to feel too much for Divest.

She felt completely isolated living on the island. The beauty of the whole place was beginning to put her on edge. Day after day it was all the same. Some would say she was taking such a life for granted but Divest would argue differently. She needed a change of scenery right then and now.

The pastel yearling would have left the Resort much sooner if she could, but something about crossing over the ocean to the mainland had been rather frightening when she was younger. Divest didn’t feel like a good swimmer to cross such a vast amount of water before. Neither did her mother think it would be a good idea either when she first had insisted on seeing the rest of Beqanna after only being a couple of months old.

A year later, things were different now. Divest was no longer the little filly with gangling legs that felt like she would trip over any minute. Her once scrawny figure is now that of a graceful silhouette with harmonious proportions that is often to some measure pleasing and beautiful to the eye. Even the softness of her pastel green color and the light silver highlights of her mane and tail were breathtaking to say the least.

With passing of time, Divest decided finally the day had come to make her way towards the mainland in the early hours of the morning. She found herself instantly at ease moving across the waters that divided her home from the rest of Beqanna. The current of the water carried her over with ease. Swimming was more of a skill now after so many months of practicing.

Reaching the shores of Tephra had been a personal triumph for her. She rejoiced without a second thought. Divest then made her way through the many lands that separated Tephra from the meadow. She spent days exploring the vast lands of Tephra, Sylva, and Loess. Everything was marvelous and beautiful—she almost couldn’t believe she had waited so long to see the rest of the world around her until now.

Eventually she made her way to the edge of the meadow, pushing through the last bits of the forest and crossing over the river that divided the two lands. The autumn sun hung at mid-day in the sky with a few clouds that looked like rain would come soon enough. A crispy wind greeted her as she stopped near the heart of the meadow. Her silver-gaze flickered around, gleaming with excitement as she took it all in. There was so much more she still had to see, but today she decided she needed to rest.
    [Image: Wi3xi5K.png]
    Profile | Detailed Bio | Character Reference
    (pixel via bronzehalo)
    You’re uncontrollable
    and we are unlovable
    There is something easy about his task - he never minds to travel, and he certainly doesn’t mind helping those he meets, one way or another. He can help with lots of things. It’s just that lately, he’d swore that off - decided only to help himself. But it’s unbecoming.

He was only really useless in comparison to the Amazon and Nerinian queens around him, he decided for himself; now that he’s on the loose and reminded by the fairy’s task, he remembers Willa and her friend, and, well, maybe he’s less useless in solitude. Or maybe his ex-wife had always been right when she called him out on such ways of thinking.

But he can’t go over-extending it. This is only part of his quest, proving his worth. And what if only those on the Isle count? Or only cold climates? He shakes his head. No use thinking about it.

The meadow is relatively quiet, but the yearling filly most definitely stood out. The crisp autumn air smells healthy and oxygen-rich to the scaled roan, who himself might be described as a crisp autumn being, he supposes. But it’s not why he’s here. He’s here to show the world that he can help take care of it, in a way. And to make sure others don’t fear going into the cold places; that they know they’re not alone should they venture out there.

He scans the horizon, but she seems to be alone. Is she homeless? One can wonder. She looks… a little fragile too. Maybe she isn’t - looks can be deceiving in Beqanna - but he finds himself on the move already, and closes the distance between them. ”Hello,” he greets as nondescript as they go. ”I’m Leilan. Just passing through really. Can I help you?” he wonders. She looks… well, like she could use help finding something to do.

and I don’t want you to think that I care
    I never would, I never
    could again
    Leilan
    no. 7 | ice forged in fire

@[Divest] I feel like I should stop posting now seeing the quality of this but... hey it’s something.
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |
    Her ears flicker at the sound of approaching hooves. Quickly, her silver eyes turn away from the horizon of the meadow. She focuses onto the silver bay roan that stands close to her now. Considering the older stranger, Divest wonders what drew the stallion towards her.

At the sound of his greeting, a soft smile touches her pastel green lips. “Help me?” She asks with a confused voice. Divest had never thought she needed any help. She came all this way by herself from the Resort. Why would she need help?

“No. I’m not lost.” She states confidently. Divest knew exactly where she was going and where she was now. There was no way she needed help. “My name is Divest,” she adds quickly noticing she has forgotten to introduce herself as well.

Her gaze moves to study the bay roan stallion further. The icy layer of his scales sparkle, quickly drawing her attention to them. “Are you a fish or something?” She asks glancing with a curious smile back at him. “You got scales like the fish in the ocean do.” A grin pulls her lips up further at that statement.

@[Leilan]
    (pixel via bronzehalo)
    You’re uncontrollable
    and we are unlovable
    It’s kind of funny, how easily she is confused. It was a rather simple question, though derived mostly from his task of helping and finding her here alone and looking a little unsure. Seems though, that he made that worse instead of less, right now.

”You don’t have to be lost to be wanting some help. It could be as simple as relieving you of a certain boredom, or opening some doors with some other horses.” Think outside the box, is what he actually tells her. But then again, she is young and maybe her experience is that she needs to be lost to need any kind of help.

Well, isn’t he a great teacher then.

Her question catches him off-guard, which means a full out, robust laugh when she compares him to a fish. A fish! ”No,” he hiccups a little before shaking his head more seriously at her. ”Look closer. These are much rougher than a fish would have, and would not aid them underwater. They’re not as hydrodynamic.” After all, fish scales are more close-knit, less thick and more or less smooth than these; rough and pointed although he must admit the ice must have confused her a little. ”A lizard would come closer… but lizards don’t usually bite.” His grin shows her the exact sharp pointed teeth that would look weird on a lizard, or a fish - piranhas excepted - since sharks have a totally different skin.

He shrugs. ”I asked a fairy what it was supposed to mean, but she sent me out to help others to prove that any… upgrades, wouldn’t benefit only me.” He tells her in good faith. ”You seemed a little purposeless, so perhaps I could help you get through the day. That is, if you have nothing better to do than talking to this old man.” His eye colour in the meantime has changed as well, ice blue to emerald green. ”Or perhaps help recommend your next move. Any lands or horses, that caught your interest so far?”

I never would, I never
    could again
    Leilan

@[Divest] wow I am rambling
    |
    She laughs softly at his comment. “I came here to relieve myself of boredom. My home is in the Island Resort and it is far too quiet right now.” If anything, she needed to find an adventure. Perhaps that is what he meant by opening doors to horses. The mainland offered many opportunities for her to meet others.

It seemed Leilan found her comment rather comical. Her smile curls up a little further at his reaction. She looks closer at his scales when he mentions they are not fish scales. The scales of a fish are some sort of word—hydrodynamic? Whatever does that mean she has no idea. How did he even know such a word? Dives peers at him with narrow eyes for a moment but forgets her thought when he shows her his sharp teeth. “Oh, WOW!” She exclaims. The yearling had never seen those kind of sharp teeth before. Perhaps those were the kind of sea animals her mother told her to be wary about. “If you aren’t a fish or a lizard, then what are you?” Her head tilts to the side, sending long silver locks over her shoulder.

“Fairies, huh?” She comments with a shake of her head remembering what her mother told her about them. “I heard they are rather fickle creatures. Are they even that real?!” It all seemed such creatures were only in stories of the old.

Divest face scrunches in concentration at his question. She wasn’t exactly sure what sort of lands or horses caught her attention. There was only a fair share of lands she had seen, and any names of famous horses within Beqanna seemed like they would not have enough time for her. “An adventure sounds like fun. You seem to know your stuff a bit, old man,” She says with a teasing tone at the end. “Where is the most dangerous place in Beqanna? I want to go there!” If he wanted to give her any sort of help, Divest was willing to take advantage of that easily. What better way to spend your first time on the mainland than going to the most dangerous place there was?

@[Leilan]
    (pixel via bronzehalo)
    You’re uncontrollable
    and we are unlovable
    Her soft laugh is followed by a comment that makes him smile knowingly. "So on a scale of one to ten, how bored would you say you were before I started talking to you?" He'd stick out a tongue perhaps, but he's content knowing the answer would probably be high enough to prove the point - or to prove she hadn't thought all of it quite through. Nevertheless, the question's rather rhetoric, and with her comment of fish scales the topic is changed easily.

He tilts his head at her a little when she's overly impressed with the sharp teeth and wants to know what he is. "Not quite sure. Could be a shark, a kelpie, or even a dragon, but I spit ice instead of fire, and I guess that's where the Ice Fairy comes in." He shakes his head, knowing she'll want to ask about it, but he continues after her other question. "They're as real as you and me, but they don't always feel like entertaining their visitors. I know from experience they are as fickle as your mother says and maybe even more so." But they did help cure the Plague, and were generally pleasant in the sense that they only messed with those who asked for it, one way or the other. Unlike Carnage, really.

He's not bothered by the fact she calls him an old man - because he is, and because he said it first - but he does frown at her question. "You sound like my daughter. And no, that didn't end well." Not for either of them, because 'I told you so' didn't cut it. "Dangerous places often don't get you the kind of adventure you wanted. Good thing for me is I couldn't pinpoint the most dangerous place so easily. One might say it's my home, another may say it's yours. Danger is everywhere, and everywhere can get you killed." Shaking his head a little, he looks over the meadow. "One day two of a magician's daughters were killed right here in this meadow." For example. "Someone else nearly died of the cold in my home, another probably drowned near yours."

He seems to think it over still, only just a moment. Then, he grins at her, teeth blinking in the day's light. "Or, if it's a death threat you want, I'll be sure to help you with that." His eyes bore into her with a rather cold icy blue gleam, a yellow ring visible in the irises that wasn't there. "There's no good adventure without a little... running." He sounds as if he would have said something else, though if she picked up on it and would have guessed the word he might have used instead, is a question unasked.

I never would, I never
    could again
    Leilan

@[Divest]
    |
    Divest chuckles once more at his amusing words. “I can’t really put a number on it right now.” She simply says. The pastel yearling so far had no compliments when it came to feel bored. Her journey so far had been filled with discovering new sights and meeting a new individual she found quite intriguing.

The large silver bay roan mentions a list of creatures she is somewhat familiar with. She has heard stories about the kelpie creatures and to be weary of sharks in the deeper parts of the ocean. However, it only seemed dragons were the closest thing Leilan could be. Divest knew a thing or two about dragons when her mother told her stories about the war between Loess and Tephra. She also had said many of the dragons lived within Loess (she made sure to visit that land when coming this way because of the dragons and knowing her mother frequent there at times when she wasn’t in the Resort).

“I think you’re a dragon,” she says flatly. It made more sense now that he mentioned he could breathe ice instead of fire. Certainly, if he had scales, not scales of a fish or lizard, and had sharp teeth then he must be a dragon! What other creature could breath something like ice or fire too? Divest flickers her ears at him curiously as he mentions more information about the fairies that live on the mountaintop just over the horizon towards the forest she came through. She glances over there for a moment and then back to Leilan. “So, you met one before then!” She exclaims with excitement. “Why did you go to the mountain? What is it like up there?” The yearling bursts with questions at him.

Her excitement fades away when Leilan tells her about his daughter. She finds her thoughts drifting to what sort of danger Leilan’s daughter had gotten into. However, she turns her focus back onto dangerous places. Divest wanted to see the most dangerous place very badly, but she supposes the old man is right when everywhere can be considered dangerous. Her eyes widen when he mentions two murders that took place right in the meadow, making her silver eyes glance around the meadow that only made her feel an instant feeling of peace. Turning back to Leilan, who further gives more examples of the dangers lurking around their homes, her face scrunches into confusion once more. “Maybe going to the most dangerous place isn’t a good idea.” Then again, Divest could see the old man just being a baby and trying to protect her. She doesn’t say anything about that though to his face.

“A death threat?” She scoffs softly after his words, but when the large stallion’s gaze flashes into an icy cold stare, she instantly takes a few paces back. Her eyes open wide with chaos and confusion as his demeanor changes. Divest couldn’t imagine the gentle old man turning on her so quickly. Certainly, he was just trying to give her a scare. With a shake of her head, she takes a step forward, closing the distance once more between them. “You don’t scare me!” She says with a chuckle.

@[Leilan]
    (pixel via bronzehalo)
    You’re uncontrollable
    and we are unlovable
    The yearling seems quite impressed - how easily could youth be swayed, he thinks. It’s a matter of changing the subject subtly - he continues to answer her fairy-questions first. ”Once to participate in a contest. Once for something really stupid that nearly got me killed. Once to save my equally stupid daughter. Once to help them cure the Plague. Once for personal growth.” he recalls. Specifically vague, not willing to tell her all of it. ”Though the latter remains an unanswered question for a while. Fairies don’t give without getting in return.” he shrugs. That’s really all there is to it, he thinks. ”When I went up there, it was rough and cold. But that’s because I go past the snowline, and because it suits me, I think. It might not be needed to go that far.” he shrugs. It’s not important. For him, it makes sense to make the climb physically challenging, for others perhaps less so.

When she changes the subject to dangerous places again and he warns her, it works - for like two seconds. Then, she laughs away her fear; not learning what he tries to teach. He growls a little, then snaps at her, roughly in the direction of her crest. If she’s fast enough he’ll only get air or her mane, but if his sharp teeth happen to scrape her tender skin, he’s not gonna be sorry about it. Stepping forward, he wonders what it will take for her to realize that he might not always be as kind as he was in the beginning.

I never would, I never
    could again
    Leilan

@[Divest] flip-flop, she found the other side of the coin x)
    |