• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
    [open quest]  Can you guess our secrets? ROUND II
    She isn’t sure what she had expected when she passed through the threshold, but a desert wasn’t it. Blinking against the brightness of the sun, it’s the sphinx that comes into focus. For a moment – though it is brief – she feels a flicker of fear. She has never come across anything so large, but that fear is quickly replaced by curiosity. Even when the voice booms at her in obvious disapproval, she finds herself stepping forward, wide-eyed and awestruck.

It takes her a moment to realize it was demanding something of her. It had asked her a question – a riddle. When you do not know what I am, then I am something. When you know what I am, then I am nothing. What am I? She frowns in concentration; she didn’t really think herself as much of an intellectual. She preferred the rougher ways of solving problems. The more she thought on it, the more perplexed she became, before finally beginning hesitantly, “Umm...isn’t the answer to that riddle...a riddle?” She shifts her weight, grasping for a way to explain herself. “I mean not knowing what it is makes it a riddle, and once you know the answer it’s no longer a riddle, so it becomes nothing.”

Deciding that’s enough, she steps back, not really sure what’s going to happen if she is wrong.
    She is almost too distracted by the sudden changes to even hear the question. Instead her eyes drop down to the sand beneath her hooves, admiring the supple shift of it until it swirls up high enough to blast at the bare skin of her dark velvet nose.

Sand is AWFUL.
    She hopes Flit stays safely hidden beneath her hair. But it’s okay if she doesn’t because this is probably just some weird dream now that she thinks about it.

Belatedly though, the question worms it’s way in through her ears to settle impatiently against her thoughts, and she wonders at it bewildered. She’s never played at riddles before. But then after a while a huge grin splits her face, so big her teeth flash because it really must be a dream if that talking rock knows this is her favorite game.

“An echo!” She says, her little tail flapping excitedly behind her, forgetting to be scared by the creature who keeps scowling at her and using big confusing words. An echo is a great friend to have though, and she wonders if he knows. An echo never ignores you, and it’s always exactly where you left it.
    The answer is an Envelope