• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Damned If You Do; Damned If You Don't |Castile|

Long May She Reign

There last conversation lingers in her mind everyday. He follows up a threat of eating her by saying her children were granted immunity to his anger. A thought that to this day causes her to laugh, they were all grown besides Divest, and at the time Aries. Each one moved on to there own paths, and Aries pushed to Wolfbane for training. 

A promise that wasn't good enough to make her obedient; but what he finishes with had left her thinking. He promises to raise her should so commit loyalty to him, she had no reason to even trust the promise....but Mary was never meant to sit in a quiet island. She misses her forest home, she misses the loud commotion the southern sector always created. 

Her loyalty lied with Sinner, and for months she fought the battle inside her....but he left her so easily. They were banished and he hadn't even shown up to find Divest, she knows the devil still lurks beqanna and not a single word? She waited, nearly a year, nearly half a year since Castile's visit....and finally she decided.

The pale mare finds herself at the border of Loess, her insided churn with irritation. Her neck displays the bite marks of Castile, a place where fur refused to grow back in. She takes a deep breath, and with it she sucks up all of her pride.

Passing the border of Loess now her gaze glances around the familiar terrain. Oh Castileeeee she sings out for him, her position given away. It could have been an evil plot to have Loess attack her, get rid of her once and for all...or perhaps he was truly a man of his word.

MARY

@[Castile]

and underneath the layers, I find myself asking what's left
    a hollowed out form, the skeleton of a ghost, the pitiful echo of what once was
    It was only a matter of time before she pursued him. He left her with a proposition before they both melted into the darkness and returned to their respective homes.

The days bled into weeks, but Castile’s preoccupation has kept his mind active and distracted. He didn’t wait on a bated breath for her; he has the upperhand now, so why would he fret? Seasons come and go yet Loess continues to thrive and require his every ounce of energy. Fortunately, the caverns provide him an escape from the politics. There, he is able to dive into the shadows of his mind and recharge with the company of family nearby. It’s a serene location that overlooks much of the kingdom, a feat made simpler by his acute eyesight.

His eyes lazily glide across the premises until he notices the familiar, slender figure of Mary stepping from the outside into Loessian arms. There are no boundaries to her as she slips like a snake past the borders and toward the heart of the rocky landscape. Then again, he invited her so there’s no sense in standing at the walls any longer.

Castile meets her after a brief glide from the jagged peaks. Through the clouds and over the cliffs, he soars gracefully until his weight shifts to bank and descend. He alights swiftly in front of her with an eyebrow lifted underneath his metallic forelock. ”I see temptation got the best of you,” if only he could look into her mind and see how she plays out potential scenarios, how she considers the possibilities of an ambush. Admittedly, he would laugh and dive into her hesitations, but only for his own sick amusement.

As his wings coil against his sides – loosely, relaxed – Castile pivots as though opening up the rest of the kingdom for her viewing, but in reality, he simply enjoys drinking in the scenery. With a lopsided grin and a content sigh he murmurs, ”Welcome to the dragon’s lair, Mary,” because isn’t that what some call it nowadays?

castile

@[Mary]

Long May She Reign

It didn't take long for the dragon to find her, was it luck, or was he waiting for her? She watches as the dragon soars over the boulders, landing gracefully before her.

He gives a greeting, calling his offer temptation, and that is exactly what it was! A temptation that the pale mare couldn't deny, should she obey this dragon what would she receive? She needed to know, she was a mare who was hungry for power, and though she was the head diplomat for the Resort, she wanted more.

I guess it has, her tone had been the nicest ever with Castile, leaving the sharp dagger behind today. He rustles his wings, finding a spot more comforting, and she follows suit. The grey mare cocks her hind leg, she shows a lack of fear in his presence as well as the simple desire to be comfortable.

Finally, he gives her a welcome, to the dragons lair, and a grin tugs at the corner of her maw. I guess that is the reputation it has gained now a days. She admits, Castiles descendants of all lines flooding Loess. She doesn't doubt that Sinner and Valdis' own child lives here now....and with that thought she moves on to Sinner.

She thinks of the hounf every now and then, to this day betrayal takes over her emotion when she finds herself before Castile. But she had to push past it, wasn't it betrayal how he abandoned a very pregnant Mary? She fights the urge to roll her eyes from her own thoughts.

Instead she finds Castile's gaze, I have arrived as requested. What is it that you want me to do? The details never layed out prior, she knew gaining his trust wouldn't be an easy task, but she still lacked full trust in him. Perhaps through time they would both build trust for one another, but then only time will tell.

MARY

@[Castile]

Castile notices how she grins and how she settles comfortably in front of him, no longer fazed by what creature lies beneath his skin. A sharp glance notes the scars on her neck and the memory races back to him, coating his tongue with the familiar tang of her blood. If he so wanted, he could relive the day again and again, but it comes to a screeching halt when his eyes level on hers. Harming women, although seemingly a trend of his, has never been a goal. Anger and frustration still often sink its claws into him. Most often, he can tame the coiled beast, but sometimes his grip loosens, weakening under the daily stress.

”If you can’t beat us, join us,” he grumbles humorously to distract her from the inner workings of her mind. He nearly senses a sudden tension in her, but it settles easily enough. Assuming Sinner crossed her mind – how could he not when he controlled so much of her life? – Castile playfully reminds her of the prowess of his kind, how she is falling into their nest. First Valdis, then him, then his sons. Yet even has Mary intertwines herself in his family, his trust in her remains minimal. Nonetheless, it’s always better to keep enemies closer; there may yet be an opportunity to make the ambitious woman his ally.

He just needs to keep her occupied while keeping his hands hidden behind his back.

Castile didn’t lie to her when he said he could lift her, but he also didn’t have a set plan in action yet.

Soon he will. Ideas already march across his thoughts.

With her question, Castile draws his attention away from his brooding to instead focus on her intent stare as it bores into him, demanding answers. It nearly reminds him of Litotes when he was prisoner here. Shifting his weight and tilting his head, Castile’s response unseats the brief quiet between them. ”You’re a diplomat. I’m going to place you as the caste’s highest ranked. Of course, there is Starsin who you will answer to in addition to me,” he imagines the frustration just now bubbling inside Mary. To be a Queen to a subordinate is not an easy feat; there have been times he struggled with it. ”I honestly want to see if I can trust you, if you are deserving of the rewards I love handing out,” his expression flickers into amusement. It’ll be harmless fun. Nothing but perhaps her ego will be harmed throughout the process as he formulates her position.

But the underlying concern that deters him most from resting his trust in her presents itself through a flatly-asked question. ”What will you do should Sinner return?”

castile

@[Mary]

Long May She Reign

If you can't beat us, join us

The words nearly makes her hair stand up, a jab at her pride whether intentional or not. It wasn't a choice that she had made, to lose her home...an outcome she didn't expect but none the less she finds herself sitting in the dragon's lair nearly begging him for forgiveness. If only the hound could see her now, she thinks to herself.

She has so many questions, she wonders if his promise is just an empty one...or if the dragon king truly had some sort of plan for her, an outcome that could keep her happy.

Though she doesn't trust Castile fully, she had no choice. Her hunger to have a crown again kept her in line, bowing dowm to the black and white stag with little light at the end of the tunnel.

She refused to be a mouse that the cat plays with, so when she ask's him of his intentions he takes a moment to respond. His body shifts in thought, but finally he responds, and his response was not what she had expected.

Her eyes nearly burst open, but she refrains from showing her shock.

I'm going to place you as the Castes highest ranked.

She lets the words resonate with her, listening as he continues to speak. Starsin is to remain above her, the mare she has heard plenty of, but never the pleasure of meeting. In fact rumor has it she is the exact mare holding Mary's crown. She nearly laughs at the thought, but alas a grin is all that escapes her emotion chamber.

She dips her head ever so slightly, obeying Castile...that is something that she could get behind...but Starsin? That would be much trickier of a task. The dapple mare finds his gaze once again, Thank you for the opportunity, what an honor it is. She knows her diplomatic skills are amongst the best, she had been offered the same position multiple times from multiple kingdoms when she had the crown. It doesn't shock her, as it may anyone else she meets when she offers her new title.

Is there anything specific you want me to do in the time? A diplomatic visit? Training? She cocks her eye, she would have to get acquainted with Loess, to see the potential of the members who live within.

His last question doesn't shock her, though she still hadn't planned out a response to him. Inquiring about Sinner and what she should do if he returns. She remains silent for a moment, her mind whirling with the exact scene she pictured in her head before. What would you like me to do? The words flow from her mouth, now a servant to Castile.

She knows what he wants, to banish him, to announce her allegiance to Castile. It would hurt her to do it, Sinner was more than just the father to her children. The best of friend she ever had, the man who held her heart hostage....but he was also the same man who abandoned her with no hesitation, not returning to meet his newest child. The fire that builds within her is enough to send the hound running should he return...

MARY

@[Castile]

They will rise together.

From enemies to colleagues.

There remains an air of mistrust bubbling between them, but the curtain isn’t so thick that they cannot see the potential beyond it. Castile notices how Mary bristles at his words and although he meant no ill will, her disdain somehow still brings him pleasure. A gleam of amusement catches his eye, twinkling underneath the sunlight as Mary mulls over his proposition. It’s the sweet nectar of a forbidden fruit that faintly brushes across her tongue. A taste of power, of ranking. So close that she can nearly taste it. He can see how her mind wraps around it and how her tendrils of thoughts reach like fingers to grope for her greed.

Castile smiles charmingly at her, a rare sight. ”Wonderful,” he pulls her into his web, wrapping her in promises and niceties as she agrees to everything set on the silver platter. Cooperatively, Mary dives into her responsibilities. For a fleeting moment, he questions the sincerity behind it, but her success – her life – rests in the palm of his hand. Inclining his head, Castile considers her. When he responds, it isn’t with a demand, but rather information that he wants her to store away and to make duly note of. Her opinion will matter, of course. ”I’ll tell you the recent events to get you up to speed. Loess has friends far and wide now. Our alliances are powerhouses. We have, of course, Sylva and the Pampas. We are also friends with Taiga now, Pangea, and Hyaline. I’ve not heard report yet of the Cove. The Islands are rather quiet and not worrisome. Nerine is quieting by the day and is in the process of being challenged for the title of kingdom by our Taigan friends. I’ve heard rumors of Tephra…” he suddenly cuts himself off and purses his lips thoughtfully before smugly grinning to finish. ”If all goes accordingly, there will really only be Tephra opposing us that is worthwhile. So, dear Mary, I have a request of you in that same breath. Visit that volcanic kingdom for me and see what updates there are. See if Leliana is still Queen.”

Rumors, he thinks. It isn’t the voices of horses that bring such promising words, but the reptiles that he understands as they slither and roam. A new King, perhaps.

”Surely this will be a test for you seeing as you were originally siding with them when Loess invaded. I wonder what they will say when you tell them you’re with me now.” He tilts his head, almost wishing he could be a fly on the wall when it happens, when their ears swallow the shift in allegiance. ”Are you up for that little challenge?” He presses for an answer, leaving the earlier question almost unanswered. It crosses his mind, of course, but Castile passes it off casually with an idle flick of his tail. ”You had feelings for him, but if you cross paths with him, I suggest remembering where you are right now because of Sinner,” a slow, deliberate breath is inhaled then released, ”I want you to remember how quickly he abandoned you.” It’s easier to pour fuel into her soul than to bark orders when she sees Sinner again. It’s only a matter of time until they reunite.

But as easily as just a few words, Castile planted the seed.

castile

@[Mary]

Long May She Reign

It would be a long road for the two of them, trust slowly being built. She tried to imagine him as a friend, but she can't help but feel as though she is betraying a partner who no longer exists. She once had feelings for the hound, but in is recent disappearance she was able to cut ties with him. So why shouldn't she put all of her concentration into Castile and what it is he wants, so she can have what she wants.

He looks at her pleased, like he had trained a puppy, created an obedient follower that he always wanted out of her. It shouldn't matter, because at this point she was loyal to him, but it still irked her, the pleasure he got from her discomfort.

But finally, he answers her question, in fact he does more than that. The dragon king catches her up on the recent politics for Loess, listing a long list of territories that allied with him. She wasn't surprised though, Loess was a strong kingdom, and if these were truly his allies than Loess was very possibly the strongest kingdom in all of beqanna.

And finally, he gives her a task, to visit Tephra to see who rules there still. A grin tugged at her maw, he was truly pushing her loyalty to him, but in the end it wasn't anything that would cause stress on her. Sure, she took Tephra's side when the war broke out, but it was simply because she was announcing her lack of allegiance to Loess. She had no true ties to Leliana, and if anything perhaps the mare would welcome Mary with open arms when she visits....if she still lingers that is.

Of course Castile! I won't waste any time making the trip. The words flow from her mouth easily, a response that Castile had most likely not expected so easily. But the next words that flow from his mouth have a fire igniting in her stomach. Her face remains with a grin, but she grows irritated with the low blow he takes at her. She didn't expected Castile to welcome Sinner back with open arms, but she also didn't need him to bring up the very truth that she attempted to bury. He tells her to remember who she sides with now, should she face the hound again, to remember how quickly he abandoned her. And it was true, the hound did abandon her when things got rough and she imagines the hound will come back at some point.

Mary nods her grey head to Castile, I understand, she says as if she were a puppy, loyal in listening to its master. I will do just that, and I will also head to Tephra, no sense in wasting time. With it the mare moves away from Castile, her body headed in the direction of Tephra. Her head turns back to Castile I will find you once I return from my visit, she notes before trailing out to Tephra.

MARY