• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  i've never fallen from quite this high; Aegean
    Aegean smiles at him, and the warmth in his expression is further kindling to the fire. Does he know, Pteron wonders, does the antlered boy know the effect he is having on the awestruck Pteron? Usually proud of his quick wit and silver tongue, Pteron is not accustomed to the sensation of being flustered and shy and pleased all at one. His mouth feels dry and it is all he can do to meet Aegean’s lavender eyes again after a shy glance downward.

He is immensely grateful when Aegean looks away and steps into the lake.

For a moment Pteron is content to simply watch. The ripples of the stallion’s movement spread into the mirror-smooth lake, and the green-eyed stallion follows them out until they fall back to stillness. Then his gaze wanders back to Aegean, who is now standing still in the water and once more watching him. Coming closer feels right, even with the early autumn chill of the water at his fetlocks and then knees. His focus on the ripples had let his companion put too much space between them, and Pteron does’nt intend to make that mistake again.

“How would you know?” Pteron asks. He means it to sound jovial, but instead it is as breathless and riveted as he feels. “You’ve hardly even looked at it this morning.” But don’t start now, he does not add, though his expression and the way he leans forward without actually moving more than speak for him.

There is the thinnest haze of fog above the water, Pteron finds, and that now eddies around them to replace the motion of the now-still water. He wants to look down, to see how moving might change the flow of it, to see what breathing on it might do, to satisfy his endless curiosity. If he does though, he thinks Aegean might disappear entirely. He dares not.

@[aegean]
    Aegean

I should have loved a thunderbird instead
    at least when spring comes they roar back again

Hyaline has never felt like his home—but Aegean does not fault it for this. There has never been a true place that has felt like his home. He has grown up with a vagabond heart and a poet’s dream for roots and no matter how much he may come to care for a particular bend of land, it will never clutch at him.

Not truly.

Still, standing here with the lake lapping at his legs and the fog curling toward him and the feel of the stallion near him, he imagines it is home. He can breathe in the cool, clean water and imagine that he will always feel this way. That he will come to put down roots and flourish here. Maybe he will.

It is a romantic notion and he does nothing to dispel it. Instead he just lets it simmer on the back of his tongue, turning his smile soft and dreamy and quiet. He tips his antlered head back and watches Pteron with the same quiet intensity that he does all things, feeling it blossom like an uncrushed flower.

“Maybe I am not talking about the lake at all,” he says with an unguarded smile, his white teeth flashing against the impossible white of his lips, the milky light of him casting a glow atop the water that comes.

He has no pretense. He has no flirtatious games.

He simply has himself and his heart and he offers it up so willingly.

“How could I possibly look elsewhere when you are standing before me?”

There is no embarrassment or shame that tinges his cheeks and he doesn’t attempt to break his eye contact. He just holds onto it as he feels the tension like a physical thing, as he feels the way that it snakes throughout him and plants into him. The rest of the world melts away and it is just the two of them.

I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead
    (I think I made you up inside my head.)