• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
    [complete]  My heart was a compass - fairy
    We got older and I should have known
    that I’d feel colder when I walk alone
    It wasn’t cold any more.

Waking slowly, at first he didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary. It might be late spring, it might be summer, a hot fall day - or he simply hadn’t yet arrived exactly where he wanted to be. The silver bay roan blinked against the light of the morning sun, trying to calculate his position. Was this Beqanna, or would he have to search longer for a way to return?

It took him a moment to realize that he had - or hadn’t, depending on how one looked at it - changed. No longer did he have a fully-grown winter fur, fluffy as would have been typical for any draft-lined horse. Looking down at his feet instead, he recognized what he was, and the landscape surrounding him not feeling cold suddenly made sense.

Magic.

Standing on the edge he’d deliberately stepped off once in the past, Leilan outed an audible, annoyed grunt. Of course the magic that had altered him in Beqanna, would come back to him as soon as he set a hoof back on here. Why had he ever thought he could have a break from all that… out here, anyway.

Snapping his draconic teeth at the cold air that didn’t seem to chill him any longer, his ears pinned back when the realization hit. Memories overflowed; the past and present mixing and finally settling on a memory from a time before. He didn’t know how long ago or how short, but if he was honest then he had to admit it didn’t really matter. The other land had not had magic, so perhaps time had flowed differently there, as well. After all, that had been the case the first time he’d been away and had returned.

But that wasn’t currently the source of his irritation.

“I need a break.” She’d said it with the certainty of someone who had thought long and hard about this, with no room for discussion or changes of opinion. The snowdrifts passing behind her had caught his eye, and looking back at that time, he had perhaps been so thrown out of the loop by the subject that the true meaning of her words had not fully registered. But he knew he’d been right in telling her he’d stay a while longer. “I’ll find you,” was what he’d said - and stayed on the freaking ice cube long enough to see their youngest son grow into a yearling, to find Jesper and tell him to have fun leading the snowdrifts.

It seemed ages ago, now.

And find her, he did. The land that she’d found had felt different, but perhaps not far away enough; and so he’d set out to find the place where he once had lived after leaving Beqanna - a place where time was different and where magic - apparently - was not. Back when he was a yearling, he had not noticed because he had not had any traits. But now it seemed a welcome respite for the both of them: a chance to be a normal couple (though honestly, herd life was the norm out there). A chance to stay away from politics and fighting and weird magics that could threaten their peaceful existence. No Plague, no fairies, bo gods, not Mountain.

No family, either.

Time passed.

They’d discussed over and over and over. If it wasn’t so much for his mother, his sisters, his countless nieces and nephews and cousins - then for their own children, perhaps? But she wasn’t ready to leave. The argument that she had no family at all had once before cracked him, hurt him just a little, and so it had made him stay longer.

He loves her.

But for his restless soul, that was maybe not enough.

After all, he loves his family, too.

“Come find me when you’re ready.”

He hadn’t dared look back when he turned to go home.

They’d been through so much emotional trauma together, it was near impossible to separate - and yet, she had drifted away many times. Even though he knew the distance had nothing to do with him or the love they shared, it was hard on him, and for now, her inability to deal with life in Beqanna was perhaps a step too far for him. To ever let go of his true home - no, that was impossible.

Yet here he was, already silently cursing the pointy teeth and iced-over-glimmery scales. Sure, he didn’t mind seeing better or being resistant to the cold. The vision part was just one more tie to his family. But if he was honest with himself, he had quite liked being normal again - if one such as he was ever really normal - and his landing on the Mountain had everything to do with it (besides it being a place of magic, and thus an easy access point from other lands if one knew how to move between them).

Something subconscious had brought him to the exact point of his temporary death; staring at the lands below he figured that if he dropped now though, he wouldn’t survive - and no fairy would bother to bring him back.

Fairies. Magic. Unwanted attributes. Wanted attributes.

Musing over the latter, he calls out a moment later. ”Hey, butterflies. Any of you got a minute?”

They might have remembered him, they might not.

But he’s stubborn enough to wait them out.
    Leilan
    no. 7 | ice forged in fire

@[Officials] roll please? ^^
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |
    Lelian has rolled a 3 and will not receive a quest. You may try again in one month.
    Please tag in replies