• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

dior falls on the floor; starsin & ana
    OPHANIM
    When Starsin told him a strange woman had left an egg for him back in Loess, he assumed her disgust was due to his infidelity. As he stands back in his homeland, however, he finds himself trapped in a mixture of horror and awe as the pastel pink shell wobbles back and forth. Something is screeching from inside and he can hear claws scraping the inside of the shell as the thing inside fights for freedom. He swallows nervously and lowers his head to the unborn baby, only to be bumped on the nose as it wobbles in his direction. His wings fan out and he stumbles back in shock as the shell begins to splinter.

Don’t get me wrong, I regret what I did regardless, but I really regret it now,” he says to his wife without looking in her direction. A small leg bursts from the egg with snatching pink talons and he feels the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. Ophanim wasn’t sure what to expect but it definitely wasn’t that. Another leg quickly erupts in much the same fashion, little clawed feet still grasping angrily at air before a small pink head finally emerges. Without thinking, he edges closer to Starsin and presses tight to her side.

The hatchling shatters the remains of her birthing prison and rolls onto her belly, a shade of pink that is almost white with equally light brindling in mauve. Her little wings shine like the sun and she would be a gorgeous thing if she would STOP SNAPPING HER TEETH. The newborn paws playfully at the dirt beneath her with her talons and gives little screeches and croons of delight at having finally entered this world. When she sneezes the afterbirth from her throat, a plume of fire escapes her and catches the dry winter grasses on fire.

Ophanim rushes forward to stomp the fires out before they spread, throwing in a terrified glance at Starsin as he does so. He’s distracted enough that he doesn’t notice his daughter wiggling closer with those snapping baby fangs until she twists her head and bites his leg curiously. The angel boy cries out in mostly surprise and stumbles back once more while the baby giggles. Her little halo flickers into existence above her head and he can’t help but think it’s out of place on her head. Still, she doesn’t seem to notice and instead begins to test out her spindly legs as she tries to stand for the first time.

Starsin, I love all my children, I really do,” he says as he finally turns to look at her. “But I think she’s too rowdy for even Loess.
    you could drown in those eyes, i said.
    @[Starsin] @[Anaxarete]

and let me crawl inside your veins. I'll build a wall, give you a ball and chain.

As could be expected, she was hardly amused when an egg, of all things, had been dropped off at Loess. It was already a constant struggle to deal with Ophanim’s countless other children, but at this point, she is almost certain that he is just messing with her. This was bordering on the edge of ridiculous, and she glared at the oddly colored egg every day since its arrival. She had not been left instructions on how to handle it, and to be frank, she was hoping that if she just left the egg out in the open some sort of wild animal – a bear, one of Castile’s dragon offspring, she honestly didn’t care – would come and just take care of the problem for her. It was sorely tempting to just shatter the thing to a thousand tiny pieces, but that sliver of good that she had in her heart – that small piece of real estate that Ophanim himself claimed as his – wouldn’t let her.

She was grateful that he was at least back from Sylva in time to witness...whatever this was. With an exaggerated disinterest – because she didn’t want him to think for even half a second that she was slightly okay with this situation – she watched him watch the egg hatch, and any curiosity that she might have was carefully masked. “Yeah well, you should regret this,” she says dryly as the egg quivers and cracks. Still, she cannot help but to be amused when he sidles alongside of her, and despite her annoyance she steals a sideways glance at him. Once again, she finds herself thinking that it’s a really good thing he’s cute, and is also for some reason the only creature on this planet she can want to murder but not actually have the willpower to do so.

But when the flailing pink bundle finally makes her entrance, all she can do at first is blink in surprise. She isn’t sure what she had expected to come out of the egg, but a firebreathing pink baby wasn’t it. When the little filly coughs fire, Starsin quickly startles backwards, simultaneously shooting Ophanim an irritated look, as though it was entirely his fault Loess was just almost potentially burnt down just now. But she says nothing, and instead all she does is breathe a flustered sigh as he stomps out the flames. “Honestly, Ophie, I have no words.”

Cautiously, she takes a step forward, lowering her head to inspect the newborn girl. She hated the fact that her maternal instincts were trying to override the absolute abhorrence she desperately wanted to feel anytime she saw one of his children that wasn’t hers, but ever since having Malone, it was harder. And he seemed to really have a knack for picking mothers that don’t take care of their children. “Well, you can’t just get rid of her. It’s your fault she exists,” she pauses, glancing at him again with a pointed tilt of her head, “and it’s your fault she breathes fire.” Bringing herself alongside of him, she reaches to pull maybe a little too hard at his mane, trying to hold back an amused laugh when she asks him, “What are you naming your hellspawn?”

starsin

it’s not like me to be so mean. you’re all I wanted.
    ( just let me hold you Like a hostage. )

@[Ophanim]
    OPHANIM
    When Starsin lowers her head to examine the girl, she likewise leans up to sniff at the star dusted woman. She lightly clicks her teeth together and chirps happily at the attention. Ophanim steps forward with the thought to caution her but, honestly, would his wife ever listen to him? He swallows hard and prays the hatchling doesn’t decide to get mouthy with her as well. Malone had been an easy baby, pleased just to receive attention when he wasn’t off hovering around his siblings. He has a feeling this strange one will not be quite so gentle on his nerves.

All the others listened and only got into small trouble. This one.. seems to like being bad,” he says as he turns his blue eyes back to the filly as she stands on her wobbling legs. He winces but laughs nervously when Starsin tugs at his mane, as he realizes he has no idea what to name her. The pastel baby stumbles closer to the pair and wiggles herself against their shoulders. She blinks up at them with her bright pink eyes and snorts softly.

Ophanim wonders if perhaps she’ll calm with age as he and Starsin have begun to do but he isn’t holding his breath. Neither of them were born wreaking havoc on the world.

Can I not just call her Demon Baby?” he asks with a soft chuckle before carefully leaning down to groom at her fluff of mane. The hatchling is preoccupied pulling up clumps of dirt with her strange talons and burying her parents’ hooves to notice him fussing with her appearance. It strikes him as odd that she doesn’t speak or seek out the scent of milk like most newborns do. He sighs and leans closer to Starsin, lightly kissing at her cheek as he tries to think of what to do with this year’s children.

Maybe I’ll call her Ciara. A weird name for a weird girl.

At this, she lifts her head and blinks up at them curiously before resuming her digging. She bristles at the sight of a fat worm wriggling from the clump of dirt in her talons and drops it in disgust. Upon further inspection, however, she seems to realize how hungry she is from hatching, as she snaps it up in her teeth and eats it eagerly.

Oh…
    you could drown in those eyes, i said.
    @[Starsin]

and let me crawl inside your veins. I'll build a wall, give you a ball and chain.

The little girl is clearly different than any other child she has encountered; not just because she just hatched from an egg, but the sounds she made and the way she watched them. She didn’t know much about the child’s mother, and she didn’t want to know, either. Over time she has learned to tolerate the by-products of Ophanim’s ventures, but the thought of him touching and being with anyone else still caused her blood to surge hot and jealousy to swell in her chest. Not as though she was in the position to judge him this season, but that did little to quell her envy when she mulled too much over the fact that they were standing here staring at a child that wasn’t both of theirs.

But, she has never came across one that was quite like this, and for the most part, her curiosity was outweighing anything else. The firebreathing, the talons, and other draconian traits were all to be expected, but this one was just...different. “The halo doesn’t really suit her,” she muses as she withdraws from the small girl to press closer into Ophanim once more. She had managed to not have any fire blown in her direction, and she didn’t want to push her luck.

“I mean you can call her Demon Baby if you want, but everyone is going to judge you for it.” By now the little girl had wriggled herself in between them, and Starsin could do nothing but frown down at her as she began plowing the earth and piling it at her feet. Strange though she may be, she was still oddly pretty, with her unique coloring and the glowing halo and her peculiar wings. “I don’t think Ciara’s a weird name. I like it.”  Her dark blue eyes shift to meet his gaze, her voice flattening as she adds briskly, “Not that my opinion really matters, because she’s not mine.” Her jaw tightens, but whatever brief flash of jealousy and anger she had felt she allows to die; she didn’t want to fight with him, not again, and not over something that was too late to change anyway.

So instead, she releases another sigh, and the tension that had built up in her body goes along with it. With her shoulder resting lightly against his, she presses her lips to his cheek, letting her touch linger just a little longer than usual. She is only distracted when from the corner of her eye she witnesses Ciara inspecting a worm, before promptly eating it.

“Why the hell does her mouth glow?”

starsin

it’s not like me to be so mean. you’re all I wanted.
    ( just let me hold you Like a hostage. )

@[Ophanim]