• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  I will be your sword and shield; any

cold in the violence after the war
    hope is a fire to keep us warm

It’s comforting, in a way, to have found another who can understand the ache that comes with a family so overcome by dedication to something that is not family. Brazen had never questioned her parents love for her, but their absences had made her question herself. It’s silly, she knows. She’s not that important in the grand scheme of things. But she did sometimes wonder if it wouldn’t be too easy for them to forget about her. Were it not for Dagen, she might have lost herself to the misery of her own musings long ago.

Lilli’s question about her father brings a faint half-smile to her lips, though it is colored by sadness. “My father is wonderful,” she replies without hesitation. “He’s the only reason I think my mom isn’t worse than she is.” Her smile slips then, and she glances into the distance, a small frown unconsciously tugging her lips. “But… he’s been gone a while. I miss him.”

Abruptly recalling herself, she shakes her head sharply, before turning back to Lilliana, a lopsided grin quickly masking the sorrow as she laughs softly. “I’m sorry, that was maudlin.”

It’s so easy to fall into stride with her, their amiable companionship as natural as if they’d known each other for years rather than only a short time. They offer comfort without thought and support without question. Were Brazen a more introspective sort, she might realize she’d never really had a friend like this. Might even realize that perhaps this was exactly the kind of friendship she did need right now.

Lilliana seems so uncertain that her path is the right one, but Brazen had never been one to question such things. She understood the need to pursue truth and knowledge, even if it caused you pain, and when her newfound friend asks if she thinks it’s the right path, Brazen peers at her for a long moment with furrowed brows, considering the question with the full weight of it’s import.

“I don’t think it’s foolish at all,” she replies slowly. “I think you need to do what will bring you the most peace. And if that’s this, then…” she ends the sentence with a shrug, the simple gesture saying all she needed to. She’s silent for a moment, gaze turning to take in the passing scenery, a small smile toying with her lips. “I went on a fool’s errand once,” she finally continues, a thread of amusement coloring her tone. “With my brother. But… I think it’s really what made me who I am now. Sometimes there’s nothing to do but try and see what happens.”

Brazen

Hi yes I'm sorry I'm literally the worst for making you wait so long :|
    There is sadness lingering on Brazen's crimson mouth and Lilli aches for Brazen. She had hoped for something else, for something other than the heartache that dawns on her friends face like a reticent morning - a daybreak that comes so quietly and so softly that it might be missed.

But it isn't missed. Lilli sees it, knows that ache.

As Brazen's smile slips, Lilli's eyes darken with understanding and the young mare stands there aching with compassion, wishing there was a way she could help fill the void he left behind. Lilliana has one of her own, a jagged scar across her soul that never seems to heal. Perhaps this is why they walk along so easily, a friendship that is built upon two souls recognizing the empty places in the other and intent on illuminating them, driving that darkness out. 

Of all the lessons that Valerio imparted on his daughter, it is that there is no light without darkness. There is a precarious balance that needs to be maintained between the gods and the cosmos and the universe. It is often overthrown and it would certainly seem that her kind on the mortal plane does a well enough job of toppling that balance themselves. Lilliana wishes she had something more to give Brazen but all she has is a copper shoulder that presses into the bone armor of her friend, a brief 'knock' that is meant to be reassuring and yet playful. A touch of light against the dark.

Her blue eyes stare off in Brazen's obscure distance and Lilli can conjure the ghost of a golden father, of a man who came home from war but never really came home. Of a stallion who had been like a waning moon - full and luminescent at one point until he eventually left them all in the darkness. So the smile on Lilli's face is a thin, firm one, "I know." And then the warmth of her chestnut friend brings her back as she turns her gaze back on the armored mare, kindness softening her features as a tender grin spreads. "We're all allowed to be maudlin from time to time."

She studies Brazen as her brow furrows at her question, at her admission that she has no idea what she is doing. (And the world has not ended - the sky has not shattered above her or the ground threatened to swallow her.) It is an agonizing moment as she waits, expecting... what? But whatever Lilli has dreaded, Brazen eases her uncertainty with a simple shrug. "I told my family when I left them that I needed something..," she admits while the memory of that gray, chilly winter morning plays out in her mind. It had been the only way they agreed to let her go - that insistence that she needed something of her own. That whatever future lay waiting for her, it would be one made of her own failures and mistakes.  Lilli gives a small exhale, feeling the absence of them press against her ribs, tighten her throat. "I miss them. And this way... it feels like I'm honoring what I said. That we didn't sacrifice everything for nothing."

This is perhaps the first time that Lilliana hasn't felt the need to fill the lull of the conversation with laughter or playful banter. There is only this easiness between them and as the world still stands, Lilli finds a sense of peace. It will be okay, she thinks as she looks to Brazen. We will be okay.

A small grin tugs at one of the edges of her mouth and those blue eyes grow bright, ever hopeful. "So where do we find this all-knowing mother of yours?"

@[Brazen]
    but it's all in the past, love
    it's all gone with the wind