• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
    [PQ - in progress] live and die on this day.
    there’s no part of scripture that ever prepared you for his hands - hands that map
    a communion in the cradle of your hips. hands that kiss hymns up your sides.
    Without her children, it feels like she cannot breathe enough air into her lungs. She watches Risk grow alongside her brother – not Scorpio, not her real brother, but she calls him that anyway. Virgo can see the ferocity in her baby’s heart and she knows the little girl inherited it from her Caw. But this life is not worth anything knowing that her eldest daughter still roams the land of the dead. Her heart shudders in her chest as she nears the base of the mountain but she knows that this is what she must do. It’s only fair, after all.

She takes that first step, then the next, and after a while it hardly feels like a journey at all. Her pale legs move tirelessly in her ascent to the top of the mountain and she is as steady as ever. Those tired hazel eyes don’t seem to focus on anything while her mind reviews her memories on repeat. Caw had held her so close while they felt the twins kick within her womb. She had shared in her tears when they took their first triumphant steps and rejoiced in their love. It all felt like a miracle, like a dream where everything went just right.

She doesn’t know she’s crying until the cold wind hits her cheeks. Virgo blinks suddenly, pulled back to the present. Little white puffs of air mark her breaths but she doesn’t falter or show any signs of stopping now. The snow crunches beneath her hooves and she wonders if Quiet would have liked the snow. Would she kick it up and play with her brother, if she had the chance? She laughs sadly in between her heaving sobs as she tries to imagine a life where they got that happily ever after.

A life where her baby didn’t die.
    A life where Virgo didn’t fail them all.

She stops near the mountain’s peak and the snow has begun to collect in her gray mane and along her eyelashes. The tired woman takes a deep breath and exhales slowly as she tries to gather herself.

I’ve come to ask a request, but I haven’t come empty-handed,” she says as her voice breaks. She’s afraid for the first time since that day. Mostly just afraid that no one will answer her. “I.. I wanted to ask that you bring my daughter back, my Quiet. In exchange, I will take her place among the dead.

Her tears are hot against her cheeks only for a second before the icy chill cools them to her face. This would only be fair, she thinks, since her own mother died bringing her into this world. How could she not do the same for her child? But her heart is hammering against her chest as she hangs her head, waiting for reply. The magic of this mountain had given her that daughter in the first place. Was it greedy to ask the same favor twice? Did Quiet belong here with the living?

She exhales slowly, shivering from the cold and her own dread.
    Virgo
    he confesses how long he’s looked for a place to worship
    and, oh, you put him on his knees.

@[Officials] idk if this is allowed but virgo wants to die so that quiet can come back to life.
    Perhaps it’s the magic of the mountain, perhaps it’s the inherent magic of the fairies, or perhaps it’s that her coloring blends so well against the harsher weather of the Mountain; but they never see the Ice Fairy until she wants them to. She’s watching this one, the tears and the struggle, her own light coat nearly lost against the snow and ice of the Mountain. The words are spoken as if to the air, the vast emptiness of the sky as it opens off the cliffs around them.

The Ice Fairy isn’t gentle. She’d pushed a horse off of this same cliff once, for his attitude and unreasonable demands. Of course, she’d also made him immortal in the same breath so he’d been suffering but not dying, but her sisters may have found a nicer way to impart the same message. Likewise, if Virgo had been greeted by one of the other fae, she might have been granted what she wanted on the strength of her feelings alone. But that isn’t the way she will face now.

“Everything has a price,” she says, materializing from the swirling ice, “but that isn’t the same as the effort of obtaining it. We will take your life as the ransom for hers, but you will have to find her.” She blinks bottomless blue eyes and the mare isn’t on the mountain anymore – she’s not even in the land of the living. The fairy is gone as well, though her words echo around Virgo; “If you can find her, we will bring her back.”

The quest: Virgo needs to have three separate threads with deceased characters on the afterlife board that are at least 2 posts each (Virgo, Character, Virgo, Character) detailing her search in the afterlife for Quiet. Only one of those threads can be with one of your own characters (i.e. with yourself), and the last should end with Virgo finding Quiet. I (Devin) would be happy to do one thread with you but the third character you will have to recruit another player. Wink From the time of the first thread on the afterlife, she can’t be posted again as living in BQ, unless you fail to complete the quest, in which case she will be returned to the land of the living but probably with a defect of some kind.

@[Virgo]