• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  Risk;

i never said that i would be your lover
    i never said that i would be your friend
    i never said that i would take no other

As a brand new babe Risk had lead Kensa out of the den, and while the Primarch could not say for certain that doing so meant she would leave behind her sad beginnings it was a good sign that the child had the strength to survive them. Their trip back to Hyaline had been slow but steady, and Kensa taught Risk the way home as she did all her children, a lesson given early so that all the landmarks along the way also became lodestones calling them back to home and family. One never knew when their young would need such reminders or why.

In Hyaline Risk had been introduced to Valek, until the strapping bay yearling had to be chased away, too playful and wild for his smaller siblings. Kelynen, the younger son hung back and she seemed to almost forget to summon him. When Kensa did call him forward he came shyly, but having another small child like himself seemed to make him a little braver. Kensa took the two infants up to the meadow where she has always nested with her children and he clung to Risk’s side rather than his mother’s. 

One day Kensa had hurried them down to the lakeshore and left. Another day she returned, bloodied and fierce. Strangers began to arrive in Hyaline. Kelynen learned the name of war but safe in Hyaline did not understand it. 

The Primarch is busier each day but she makes time for her children as she always has. Though her heart can’t seem to open to the little palomino boy with the pale gold eyes, she does her best. The girl she loves, and so by extension Kelynen receives the warm glow of her affection because she can remember how she’s supposed to treat him when he is standing beside Risk. 

“Risk!... Kelynen. There you are, darlings.” She greets the pair of them after teleporting home from another errand. The sabino mare is soaked through and the chocolate and gold of her pelt are molten in the mid-morning sunlight. She brushes her lips across the tops of their small heads and then drops her head to graze and watch over them.  

Kelynen approaches his mother, sliding up against one of her sides. She smells like home, and milk, and comfort and when he nuzzles beneath her to nurse she pauses touch the point of his small hip. The boy switches his tail, content, and Kensa tries to forget the guilt of not having bonded with her honey colored son.

kensa
    love is madness

@[Risk] I am sorry this is fucking weird. I wanted to set up this little thing and then I'll probably reply with Kelynen..? Kensa has not bonded with him so he's gonna be messed up! yay!
    The world feels too big, too much for her when her new brother is not pressed safely to her side like a life raft. The dark girl keeps her face pressed lightly to his neck despite being slightly taller. She feels her heart drop any time their steps fall out of sync, causing their skin to part briefly before she hurries back against him. The girl only lifts her head when Kensa returns home, dripping and eager to kiss their faces as she draws closer to the duo. Risk smiles and closes her eyes beneath her mother’s warm affections as her ears swivel back to allow her more skin to kiss.

As Kelynen leaves her side, the copper brindling shimmers in the morning sun. The girl hates how cold she feels when he isn’t there to anchor her but she’s quick to curl against Kensa’s other side. Risk remembers hos her mother left before she could even nurse from her, taking the scent of milk and remorse with her like a whirlwind. But the thought is quickly pushed away in favor of making new memories in the dark one’s place. This is home now. This is her mother now, she tells herself. And she loves her surrogate family enough that it feels true. The primarch is always there when she wakes from her night terrors and she soothes her frightened heart with gentle words.

These new, pleasant thoughts ease her mind enough that she leans her head against the brown and gold of her shoulder. How strong, how brave her mother was to face war and still come home as soft as before.

Where did you go today?” she asks curiously, her bright eyes watching Kensa like her next words might be gospel. She smells like the lake each time she comes home and so the little shifter never quite knows where she goes. Any story, true or not, would satisfy her adventurer’s heart though. “Maybe some day Kelynen and I can come too. We’ll be good!
    may my enemies live long
    Risk
    so they can see me prosper.
    @[Kensa]

take a walk through the wreckage —clearing out my head
    i hear your eyes roll right down the phone
    i'm your walking disaster keep on dragging me
    from self-pity —poor me

The palomino boy shakes his small head and rounds his mothers hind end to scoot close to his sister and rest his head on her short back. His small ears are perked forward but he remains quiet as a mouse. Their mother has raised her head already to smile at Risk--at them--and the sunlight picks out the freckles that sprinkle her pale face. “Today I went to the field, to see what mysterious strangers might be waiting there.” Kelynen’s pale eyes widen, he is not sure about strangers, especially mysterious ones. He doesn’t know what mysterious is, but it sounds unpleasant. Luckily it doesn't seem like she found any mysterious anythings.  The way Kensa says the word tells him that it is meant to be exciting. He is not excited. Risk must be though, her pretty voice chimes in again. Maybe someday Kelynen and I can come too. We’ll be good.

He is glad she includes him, but is not so sure he wants the invitation. It doesn’t matter, if Risk were to go, he would go. “Yes momma, we’ll be good.” says the soft spoken boy and his mothers gemstone eyes focus on him. It makes him squirm a bit until she looks back at his sister. 

Kensa nods, “Of course. I will take you the next time I visit the field or meadow. When you are bigger you may come and see other places, but for today I am staying here and I think you ought to practice your exploring on Hyaline. What do you think?” Kelynen moves up to be shoulder to shoulder with Risk, he’ll do whatever she wants to do even though he is worried about encountering anything mysterious. He noses at her dark cheek with his pink muzzle playfully, perhaps a bit anxiously. He would like to go just play with Risk before mother sees that he is not really excited to do any adventures. 

kelynen
    how do you always know?

@[Risk]
    The weight of her brothers head resting over the curve of her small back makes her feel at ease with her family, bundled close to them all. The corners of her lips curve up into a smile without her even realizing how happy her heart has become with these people. Some nights, she even forgets the mysterious woman who kissed her face and walked away. There are no questions or fears on those nights, only Kensa and her brother when she drifts off to pleasant dreams. This has become a place that no longer imitates home but is home for her.

When her mother mentions mysterious strangers, her eyes grow wide like Kelynen’s but there is something wild behind her eyes. Her father’s fearless heart beats in her chest and faces every challenge with the same unyielding bravery. Whatever mysterious is, she wants it and so much more. Risk glances back at him when he concurs with her words and she smiles wider still. He is always quick to agree with her and it makes life flow so smoothly to know he always has her back.

But she sees the fear creeping over his sweet face and so, when he moves up closer to her, she gently bumps her nose to his cheek. She will protect him from any strangers or those who would wish him harm. When he returns her bump, a bright giggle comes bubbling from her as she looks back to Kensa. Exploring in Hyaline? Mysteries here, in their very own home? Her eyes glimmer with that dangerous animal pacing within her once more. Risk turns her black and copper head toward Kelynen with mischief tucked into her smile.

What do you think? Should we play tag while we explore?

But before he can reply, she lightly nips his shoulder and takes off running, kicking up tufts of grass in her wake.
    may my enemies live long
    Risk
    so they can see me prosper.
    @[Kelynen]