• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Sidewalk scenes and black limousines (Alita)

I have three eyes

Simply, she wanted him to be happy. That’s all. She didn’t mean to make him so upset, had no idea that dad would be able to physically feel her desire pressing into him. Hell, (that’s a word she hadn’t heard before until he used it) she’d only begun to sort out her wings.

He’d been so mad. Snapped out her name like a whip and lashed her hard, hard enough that for the first time in her life she was actually scared of her father. He didn’t feel that emotion though. And he didn’t feel the emotion she still carried around with her after they’d grounded and he told her (in so few words) what had happened to Gale.

It’s time to grow up now, he said. No more Gale. No more look-see game. No more sniffling because her mom was trying hard to keep their shattered family from breaking apart, Pteron was busy being a “man”, Tiercel was busy wandering off, and Dad was busy with grief. Marni seemed to have left them long ago and honestly, Eyas was slightly jealous of her for it.

But out here on the fringes of the maze, where large portions still loomed up into the sky without end, Eyas could be alone and cry all to herself. She does it quietly, without sound but more so with feeling, letting the hot tears blur her vision until they fall away. She doesn’t exactly feel like flying right now. No matter how high she flew, into the sun and up into the great beyond, she wouldn’t find Gale there and she couldn’t bring him back.

She was so… so… mad. So mad that she suddenly stopped, turned to look at the weave of thorns and bramble that hadn’t killed the triplet she might’ve been okay with losing, and screamed, “I HATE YOU!”

Before she knew it she was rearing, striking out at the unforgiving tangle of vines in pure rage. “I HATE I HATE I HATE YOOOU!” Until the pain shot up her legs and struck her in the chest, until she couldn’t breath and she was bloody. Sobbing, she stopped. It was no use. For the millionth time she closed her eyes and tried with all she had to see through Gale’s eyes, but only the blackness stared back.

two to look and one to see

Eyas

@[alita] um okay so this was unintentionally sad as feck
    and I can't get to sleep with that wolf outside my door

Alita does not often grapple with the more complex emotions that so often seem to strike at her peers. It’s not that she’s dumb—although she could be perceived as being somewhat slow—it’s just that she is more interested in the physical. She’d rather spend her time learning how to better control her wings or practicing with the heat that sometimes erupts up her throat or even hunting small animals when no one is looking. It’s easier to wrap her head around these small actions than actually grappling with her heart.

The only time that had changed was when she thought she had lost her mother. But it hadn’t taken too long to find Starsin again and the grief had been wiped from her as quickly as it had arrived.

She is cheerful against on this day, a slight stain of blood on her golden chin.

She frowns slightly when she hears the sound of the girl screaming. The sound is piercing and Alita decides almost immediately that she doesn’t like it. It’s close enough that she doesn’t need to take to the skies to find the source of it instead and chooses to sniff out the young girl standing bloodied and tired.

Alita swings her head back and forth slightly, taking in the vines and the girl and the bloodshed. With the frown still creasing her mouth and the headache still brewing behind her eyes, she takes a step back to steady herself, flares her wings at her side and then opens her mouth. There is a faint glow for a second before the fire begins to pour from her throat, rushing forward to the vines that stand so high above them.

Her teeth glint against the light of it and she closes her eyes, feeling the power of it rush up her.

After the fire has scorched a hole through the offending vines, it snuffs out, leaving nothing but smoke that slowly begins to curl up to the sky. Pleased with the minor destruction, Alita pulls her wings back in to her side and turns back to the girl, halo tipped almost jauntily, and waits with expectant eyes.

Alita

@[Eyas]

I have three eyes

Turned completely under with her eyes closed, Eyas’s ears still pick up the heavy tread of someone or something coming to interrupt her. Her expression is twisted into a snarl, ready to give weight and meaning to the unexpressed phrase fuck off that lingers like hot peppers on her tongue when Alita first comes upon her.

Looking back on the moment in the future to come and feeling the truth of it even now, Eyas knew her hatred came from a place she couldn’t understand. It was nothing against the golden-blue mare who joined her, striking enough in appearance and confused enough in her own actions to stall the verbal lashing, but it wouldn’t have mattered who stumbled across the mourning once-triplet. She would’ve worn the same expression and been ready to mouth off.

Eyas opens her eyes and breaths in deep, but stops herself. A simple thing to do while watching the other girl open her mouth first. The heat is what she feels immediately - nearly at the same moment Eyas sees the orange glow at the back of Alita’s throat.

Fire spews out of the dragon mare’s mouth and Eyas follows the flame hungrily to where it leaps into the vines like a ravenous predator. The bright light and the weaving flames dance madly out of control in their desire to feast on the dry kindling, writhing hypnotically.

Unexpectedly, she feels herself sucked into a vision.

Flames spring up from below, no not flames it just looks like flames. The whole surface below her is on fire, molten fire. The earth isn’t earth but alive, moving and shifting, bubbling. A cauldron of death. She’s plummeting towards it.

The breath held in Eyas’ throat comes out as a mangled cry, drawing her back to the present. The slender filly blinks, tears pricking her eyes from either the memory or the smoke. She’s gasping when she turns to look at Alita, “Did you see that?!”

two to look and one to see

Eyas

@[alita] Up to you whether you want Alita to see Eyas vision or not!

Whatever Alita had been expecting as a response, it certainly hadn’t been that.

Gifted as she is with her own powers, she has never quite understood the ones that can mess with your mind. She continues to live in a world where gifts are primarily physical. The ones that let her soar into the air or scorch the earth below her. Even the ones that let new colors ripple across her golden flesh when she thinks about it (although this, of all of them, is by far the most difficult to control and direct).

Even though she has spent her entire life with Starsin, she still does not understand the mare’s gifts.

She chalks it up to a keen sense of observation.

The idea of someone being able to read minds?

It feels preposterous.

So imagine her surprise when suddenly her vision is taken over. She feels the flames, can practically taste the sulphur on her tongue, and when she wakes from it, her heavy head is swinging from side to side, trying to get her bearings. When she finally focuses on the girl next to her, the only emotion that makes sense is rage. She bares her sharp teeth, that faint orange glow still sitting there in the back of her throat.

“Yes, I saw that,” she manages to growl, flicking her head violently to free her vision.

“What the hell did you do to me?”

She takes a step forward, confusion barely masked beneath the youthful anger, her draconic wings flaring at her sides. “What makes you think that you can just mess with my head like that?”

Alita snorts, shaking her head as if trying to rid the last remnants of the vision from herself.

Her eyes narrow as she focuses again on the girl, unsure of how she feels or what to do about it.

Alita

@[Eyas]

I HAVE THREE EYES

This thing inside of her, whatever it was. The power to see in ways unimaginable and extremely vast... it was wild still. Eyas didn’t have a mentor or guide. There wasn’t a kingdom full of other horses with her ability who could just tell her what she was doing right and wrong. Eyas was alone with her visions. With her vision and what it did to her.

But it hadn’t always been like that.

The thought left her, replaced by the sharp awareness of how upset the draconic mare was becoming. Alita was rapidly jumping from disbelief to irritation, and leaping into sudden rage that boiled hot right behind her bared teeth. Like a block to a thrusting fist, Eyas instinctively relied on magic like she always did, in order to combat it. Her self-defense being the emotional drug everyone hungered for:

Happiness. Eyas let it pour out of her in a trickling stream, soft fingers of sweet joy that radiated in warm attempts to soothe the gold-and-blue girl’s temper. It was exactly what made Alita upset in the first place, messing with her ‘mind’, but an emotion (to the dark-eyed sight-seer) was more chemical than physical when crafted right.

Resisting the lure was possible but hardly necessary. Who in their right mind refused intense satisfaction? Eyas felt safe enough to keep the tendrils of happiness flowing. If she needed to out of desperation, she felt confident that she could force the pleasure onto the victim. Maybe.

“Relax, drama queen.” Eyas puffed, sweating from the profuse heat and the residual shock. “I didn’t even know it was possible - that I could do that - until now. Only Gale -” Then she stopped. Bit her tongue between her teeth and ground her jaws together before starting again. “Anyways sorry. Sometimes shit happens around me.” The Pegasus roughly explained, flipping the long strands of her forelock out of eyesight.

TWO TO LOOK, AND ONE TO SEE

Eyas

@[alita]

Alita feels the magic weave through and for a second nearly resists the alien emotion—stubborn and defensive—but relaxes into it within a moment. Her jaw unclenches and her muscles loosen and she takes a deep breath, pulling her lips back over her predatory, sharpened teeth. She shakes her golden head for a second, the loose tendrils of her mane curving around her jaw, and then focuses again on the other mare.

“Okay,” she says, not bridling at the condescending tone—wondering at what had made her so upset just a second ago. “What did you do?” she asks, a genuine curiosity staining her voice as she angles her head to study the other young girl—wondering at the magic that can seep into the flesh and touch the mind.

She is so much more comfortable with the physical.

It’s unsettling to think of something more.

But the discomfort rests under the surface, not connected and not touching her innermost thoughts. It just rests there and she wonders idly at it, feeling the waves of happiness wash over her. She brushes of the other’s apology with a roll of her shoulders, tucking her wings in close to her sides again.

“It’s fine,” her lips split into a smile.

“That was pretty cool. Do you think you could do it again?”

She wonders at what the other mare had said—something about a gale—but she dismisses it. Alita has never truly been an invasive creature (curious, sure, but not invasive) and she assumes that Eyes would tell her what she meant if she really wanted her to know. “The only thing I can do is the fire thing.”

She ruffles her wings, having no idea about what other gifts lie under the surface.

“I mean and fly or whatever, but not anything else.”

Alita

@[Eyas]