• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  The things we take with us [Eva, Isobell, Any]

-Adria-

What she has done for love, Adria cannot regret. Her time on the shores of Nerine had been beautiful under the circumstances and brief, a comfort in this world so devoid of such things. She has and always will be singular, a bit lonesome. Only those of her kind make any lasting mark on the mature Nereid’s life, so it should really come as no surprise that the bay stallion who could bend water like magic would leave her with a dusting of himself.

She finds that she’s pregnant; her belly perceptibly distended in a way that can no longer be mistaken for good health. When she and Eva had arrived on the Ischian shores some time ago, it had been fatigue that plagued her early in the mornings and kept her from resting peacefully through the night, but now that the days have stretched into a couple of weeks her attempts to ignore the development can’t be pushed aside.

Out on the white-sand beaches of Ischia’s shore, Adria drags her pomegranate hooves lightly through the undulating dunes. Small indentations follow in their wake, making distinct lines as she goes. She is completely cinnabar and sand now, bright like the coral under the waves that she and Eva enjoy exploring. Sweet Bote her thoughts wander, conjuring the nickname she has given to the growing seahorse. It fits her wondrously - Eva is certainly a beauty among beauties - but her pregnancy is an issue that must be discussed sooner rather than later.

That, and a few other issues.

Since they’d come back to Adria’s homeland, there’d be no sign of her mother Nyxa or her orca father Hod. No brother Tyr or sister Aquaria (the sibling who was more Nereid than she was.) Only empty, tropical Jungle and the sensation of being watched in the water. Kelpies she knows. Adria is certain there may be one lingering, assessing them while they quietly live out their days in sunlight and laughter.

“Eva?” She hums the word as a double hovering note, where the E pitches high and drops lovingly down to the flat vowel A. If there was ever a question of Adria’s devotion to her semi-adopted companion, it could be answered by listening to the unique way she sang the girl’s name. “Are you nearby?”

Oh my love, don't forsake me; Take what the water gave me

@[Eva] I jumped them ahead for plot purposes, if you want anything changed let me know!
    @[Isobell] in case you wanted to pop in <3
    breaking like the waves down on the coastline
    breaking like the wine-stained glass that held my drink

Meeting Adria had changed everything for her. The sea girl had only imagined her life to be the same living in the outskirts of the dryland called Beqanna, and enjoying the peaceful days of living life on her own. Being alone did not seem so strange to her until she had met another nereid.

Adria had changed her life completely. Learning there was more like her out there, other nereids, was shocking. The new information had only seemed appalling for a moment until her newly found older companion, perhaps someone she would consider to be her mother now, had invited her to come to Ischia. Living out in the ocean seemed less appealing after all this. So, Ischia had become her new home.

The seahorse did not regret making Ischia her new home. Ischia was beautiful from its white sand beaches to the dense tropical greenery. Eva found herself overwhelming occupied with the amount of exploring she was able to do since her first day. The handful of smaller islands made it a great day for swimming and exploring. The purple seahorse even managed to master her balance on land now. It was almost as easy as swimming, but it would never compare to the feeling she felt within the water.

Adria had even explored with her a couple of times. Taking her to special place she liked to call their own hideaway. The coral under the waves were beautiful, nothing compared to the ones she had seen on the eastern waters of Beqanna. It was moments like these that Eva cherished most with her newly adopted mother. She truly had no idea what she was missing out on when Adria had asked about her family that day back on the riverbank. But Eva doesn’t think of those sadder moments. She looks towards the future and remembers the newer ones she has been making with the older nerineid.

The sound of her name is sweet on the tropical winds that push her direction. Eva has grown keen to liking the accent and language that Adria speaks in sometimes. Every word that came from the vermilion seahorse was lovely, but Eva considered her older companion to be very beautiful overall. She adored the warm nature of her companion and valued their growing relationship every day since they met.

Eva answers the call of Adria without a beat as she lingers down on the white shore of Ischia within the deep tropical greenery as she enjoys a few pieces of fresh green leaves nearby. With one big chomp, she finishes the last bite and quickly makes her way down the white shore to Adria. “I’m here! I’m here!” She calls out with excitement ringing in her voice as her companion quickly comes into her view.

“What are we doing today, Adria?” She beams excitedly as she dances around Adria as soon as she comes closer. Eva knew whenever the older seahorse called her there was always something exciting happening. What could possibly be happening today she could not help but wander with eagerness.

Eva

character info: here | character reference: here

@[Adria] <3
    Profile | Detailed Bio | Character Reference

-Adria-

Eva had always been independent. It wasn’t anything to fuss over and it didn’t keep Adria up at all hours when she woke to find the girl suddenly gone. She knew that she couldn’t expect to hold on to something forever, but she hoped that in the passing days something purposeful and lasting might have grown between them. She certainly cared for the other seahorse, but she wasn’t interested in keeping her tethered to her side.

So when her call is answered shortly, a wistfully adoring smile paints itself across Adria’s cherry blossom lips and stays there until her delicate daughter is prancing alongside her. “Hmm, we could try to tame a parrot.” Adria chirped, accentuating her vowels in short bursts. That particular pastime had been one of her favorites as a young filly. “Or I could teach you some more words in my language. Fè yon son komik, you say to me sometimes.” Her mentor laughed.

Swooping the arc of her neck down so that her mouth might brush over the sugar sands, Adria lipped a dry strand of seagrass and rose. Her head tilted aside and she worked it dutifully into the golden-yellow weaves of Eva’s mane, humming softly. “Or,” She seemed to tease, her bright eyes lowering as if she were hiding something, “You could help me come up with names.”

The vermillion mare smirked beautifully, pulling back to admire the loose braid she’d created. “I have news.” She said with a blink. “But first I would like to ask you - how would it make you feel, to have frè or ?” The nereid asked, using the labels for brother and sister that she’d already taught her ocean girl.

@[Eva]
    breaking like the waves down on the coastline
    breaking like the wine-stained glass that held my drink

Eva laughs happily at the first idea Adria offers. “Taming a parrot?” The idea seems rather fascinating but not completely something that would be easy to do. “I don’t think we would be able to easily. The parrot would just flap its wings and fly away from us!” She laughs softly again, picturing the two of them trying to catch one of the parrots that live within Ischia. If she had wings like a parrot it could be easier to do.

The next suggestion sounds something that could easily be done. Eva wasn’t exactly the master of pronouncing the words Adria told her to try. She sometimes couldn’t quiet grasp a couple of the sounds the letters had made. But all the while Adria was amused by her trying when she could not say the words correctly.

She smiles sweetly at the older nereid and stops her dance, standing near the front of Adria. “Maybe someday I will be able to speak like you. I just need a bit more practice that’s all!” In fact, the seahorse needed a lot more practice if she was going to be near to speaking the same language as her adopted mother.

The sea girl doesn’t fuss over the dry strand of seagrass and rose that the other nereid weaves into her mane. Eva particularly enjoys the warming touch of Adria and the lovely braids she makes within her sunset ombre mane. She holds still as possible while Adria crafts the braids within her tresses. The first time Adria had ever attempted to braid her hair had not gone so well. But could anyone blame her? Eva had never had anyone braid her hair. Let alone touch her mane!

Adria’s teasing tone draws Eva’s attention even more. She meets the vermilion mare’s gaze with wide, curious eyes. “Names?!?” She blurts out quickly as Adria steps back, knowing it was safe for her to move now. Eva quickly angles herself perfectly with Adria, not quite sure what her mother would need names for.

Her small purple ear perks forward when the nereid says she has some news. Adria mentions the familiar words in her language she learned from her. “A brother or sister?!” She says loudly as her jaw drops a little at the idea of being an older sister. Instantly, her orange-gold eyes are filled with exhilaration.

“I would love to have a brother or sister!” Eva blurts out, not really able to contain her excitement at the idea of being the oldest. “Where do we get them? When do we go? Can we leave now?” She continues, asking questions that pop up instantly within her mind.

Eva

character info: here | character reference: here

@[Adria]
    Profile | Detailed Bio | Character Reference

-Adria-

They grow together, and as Adria tousel’s the younger mare’s hair she cannot help but feel as if their bond, like the braid she weaves so gently, has only grown closer and stronger through their continued friendship and mutual respect. She remembers their initial meeting and how Eva had been so irate at her. The confusion and anger, stemming from being alone for so long. To see her now, though! Any outsider would assume they’d been raised together.

Her companion’s mention of practicing the Island language rouses a brief, sweet laugh. Determination was certainly one of Eva’s stronger personality traits. If her ability to adapt to walking on land was any indication of her ability to learn new things, Adria didn’t doubt that soon enough the girl would be babbling to her in that language as if she'd been born speaking it. It’s just one of the many things she adores about having Eva in her life.

Watching the young female alongside her, the bright coral Nereid feels a tangible wave of relief wash over her, followed by an unexpected softening in her chest. Admittedly she’d been concerned about breaking the news to her adopted one; she’d only slightly expected Eva to feel worried. But now it’s obvious there would be no need for further consolation on the purple girl’s behalf. Eva should know without Adria having to tell her: she was loved, and nothing could replace that.

Fasil, fasil darling.” Adria laughs. This was cause for celebration and Adria feels the need for a swim, but her body shifts towards the land and its freshwater delights. She takes the lead but always keeps close to Eva. “The baby will come to us.” Her mentor giggles softly, brushing past the first overreaching palms of tropical plants and into the bright, welcoming jungle. Old paths have long been overgrown, but already the two of them seem to be making new ones.

Butterflies hover lazily around them, the sun glints through a thick canopy then off their hides, and Adria realizes that the girl has no notion of how a horse comes to “be”. She’s not surprised; her own mother had given Adria the talk before she left Ischia’s shores long ago, and now that duty has fallen to her with Eva. Oh mother, the seamare laments inwardly, wherever you are, I hope you know how much I appreciate your guidance.

“Some day, Eva, you’ll want company that isn’t me. When that day comes, you might find another horse you like - possibly even renmen - as much as I love you.” Her guide explains, reaching across to plant a light kiss against her follower’s cheek. They wander past mangrove and papaya trees, tails dragging like shining veils behind them. “If you want to, ONLY if you want to,” She emphasizes gently, “then you and this other horse can make a baby of your own together.”

She smiles. “Any questions?”

@[Eva] god this is so wholesome I could put a bow on it and call hallmark <3