• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

for all the light that i shut out; castile
    “Uncle?” Call the buckskin mare. “Uncle?”

He is here somewhere, she knows; the talon marks in the dust as as plentiful as hoofprints. His smell is thick as well, marking this place as his lair, and she has seen him keeping guard from the nearby peaks. She could venture further toward the caves, but that feels invasive of his privacy, and she chooses instead to linger near the scrub pine and nose at the maidenhair ferns growing in its branches. He has a blood family now, she has learned, children and perhaps even a wife.

Lepis had been the only child in his life when they’d last been in Loess, and she wonders how much their time apart might have changed them. Their meeting in the forest with Ilma feels recent, but years have passed; she too has become a mother five times over. She knows he is a dragon now, fully maturing into his familial power, but what will that mean? Is he a monster like her father: perpetually hungry and entirely lacking remorse? Or is he still the uncle she remembers: gruff but never impatient, always kind to the child he hadn’t asked for and the responsibility for a kingdom he hadn’t wanted?

Pulling away from the fern, the dun mare resettles her golden wings into a more comfortable position. The summer wind is brisk, and blows the long hair of her navy mane and tail into a thick tangle, but it also alleviates some of the heat and so she does not mind much. Content to wait and watch the hills that spread out beneath her, Lepis takes a deep breath of the familiar Loessian air, and smiles.

@[Castile]
    this is version 2 of this post bc i'm an idiot and deleted the first one while trying to post
    and underneath the layers, I find myself asking what's left
    a hollowed out form, the skeleton of a ghost, the pitiful echo of what once was
    Wolfbane assured him that Lepis was on the cusp of returning, and from that moment, Castile acutely watched the Loessian border.

Her return is somewhat of a comfort, a vision that he has anticipated for months. She is one of the threads in the tapestry Nayl and Djinni wove years ago. Generations have come and gone, yet there remains a bond between the two families that Castile hugs onto. Ivar and Lepis, mainly. Once, there was Starlin and their son – whom is missing as of late – but she has seemingly faded with the seasons, her body disintegrated on the ocean floor. Djinni’s legacy, although not related by blood, are close enough to which Castile can welcome them with open arms, which is exactly how he approaches Lepis upon her return home.

”You’ve returned,” he says lightly with a broad grin pulling the edges of his mouth while interrupting her observance of the ferns. ”I’ve honestly missed you, Lepis.” She’s family, that’s why. Even now, years later, she refers to him as uncle, just as he would offer anyone else the simple explanation of niece. The familial love lasts even in the years of her absence. ”I was told by Wolfbane that you were expecting again. Congratulations, niece.”

castile

@[Lepis]
    At the sound of footsteps, she turns to face them. A smile settles on her face without hesitation; it is good to see him again. He had been a bastion of her quiet childhood and his tri-toned face is a happy reminder of a time when things were simpler. Castile tells her that he’s missed her, and her grin sharpens playfully when she replies:

“Of course you did.” She steps forward without hesitation, placing a soft touch on his cheek before pulling back and adding: “I missed you too, Uncle.”

Their encounter in the forest had been breif and Lepis had not been certain when – or if – she would see the dragon again. She has long since come to terms with the fact that people fade in and out of each other’s lives and that they are best enjoyed while they are there. She does not pretend to fathom the inner workings of Castile’s mind, but she is glad that he has come back to Loess and does hope that he will stay where she knows where to find him.

“Triplets,” Lepis replies to his mention of her pregnancy, “I’m not sure if congratulations or pity is more called for. They are sweet children though, and I am glad we returned in time that they were born in Loess. My first two weren’t so fortunate.” There is lightness in her tone at the last statement, though she does wish that Marni and Pteron had known the hilly kingdom from birth the way she has. Lepis finds nothing quite so comforting as an inherent sense of home.

“But enough about me, Uncle. Tell me what you and Loess have been up to.”

@[Castile]