• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Litotes;
    and underneath the layers, I find myself asking what's left
    a hollowed out form, the skeleton of a ghost, the pitiful echo of what once was
    Trust. The word is bitter on his tongue because Castile has only ever been capable of relying on his family. Outsiders have betrayed him, scoffed him, opposed him. And yet Litotes requested that of him. In the moment, Castile’s blood boiled with uncertainty as his scrutiny fell harshly across the stallion’s face. Since then, however, he has toyed with the idea. Certainly, it can play into his favor. If not, he at least still holds the crown on his head to strip away and take back his hospitality and graciousness. It would be an easy fix, he muses, as his eyes idly sweep across Loess until finding Litotes.

A habitual rumble vibrates through him as he meticulously steps down from the short, rocky outcropping. A serpent hisses in response, coiling itself beneath the offered shade. Castile responds with a dismissive growl before turning and moving purposefully away.

”Litotes,” funny how a prisoner has found comfort and a place among an enemy. He wasn’t truly meant for Hyalilne – that much is obvious. Fate steered him into the right direction, right into the longing embrace of Loess. Is this a place of misfits? Castile can certainly relate as he fleetingly reflects on his life and how aimless it had been except when he was here. Funny how life seems to already have a path in mind for its small chess pieces. He is grateful, of course, for this opportunity and for the ability to forge something great. With the strongest at his side, anything and everything will be possible.

Castile reflects nothing of his reptilian attributes. Everything is suppressed, even his fiery temper as his gaze drinks in the sight of the shifter. ”You want me to trust you, so I will. You can lead my battalion – the Talons – as, let’s say, my Marauder.” It’s likely unexpected, to go from prisoner to a highly-ranked soldier, but Castile can be gracious and kind to those deserving. ”Earn my full trust working and meeting the soldiers. Maybe after that – after you prove your good intentions toward me – I will figure out something greater for you.” Steps, he thinks, baby steps to properly earn his merit.

castile

@[litotes]
    The past year has been one overwhelming blur. Recently, the earth seems to orbit in a more assuring circle, though the uncertainty does occasionally settle uncomfortably at the bottom of Litotes’ stomach. An aspect that does make sense, at least, is Castile’s waiting to see if the cremello sticks around post-sentence before offering him a position. Though his desires were not met, the lion-man tempered his restless anger and found respect for the dragon’s patience.

When Castile approaches him, he can sense that it may be for something more than a typical conversation in passing. He cocks a single brow as the King draws ever closer, that same kindred spirit from their first encounter vibrating between them.

Most of Lie’s time in Loess is spent as a lion, but the tobiano male caught him on a rare day. Perhaps as he grows more comfortable within this land he will take to his natural form - today being a reflection of that sentiment.

“Castile,” the cremello rumbles back, the silver of his muzzle glittering as his lips move. A subtle, twisted smile rests upon his maw. Business it is, then: the way his King stares him down gives away the nature of their meeting. The small smile he holds blossoms into a bigger one, a smile that is cold and probably should not exist. Whatever purpose Castile has, Litotes hopes it will give him something to do other than wander the Loess borders.

He listens with a cocked head and an eager earnestness, his pleasure with King’s offer clear in the way his face relaxes.

“A wise decision,” he murmurs, casting twinkling eyes to the surroundings just beyond Castile. He turns back to the dragon-man, eyes hardening to prospective steel. “Who amongst us is a warrior? I do not mind recruiting; in fact, I would prefer to vet them myself. But if you have any in mind, I will set a meeting for them.”

He clears his throat, a low lion’s growl emitting from his partially open lips.

“Loess needs an army.” Lie’s eyes grow even steelier, narrowing to slits - then suddenly, as if the darkness behind those lids never existed, he breaks into a devilish grin. “Beqanna needs a change - or rather, the current leaders need . . . to find a new direction. Perhaps a Loessian army can set that in motion.

@[Castile] my html is being weird : (
    and underneath the layers, I find myself asking what's left
    a hollowed out form, the skeleton of a ghost, the pitiful echo of what once was
    ”I have my wise moments,” he jests with a smug grin and bright eyes. Although fiery and impulsive, he isn’t an idiot. It would’ve been simpler to release Litotes back into the world and back into the East from where he came. Everything could’ve ended there – the political hostility, the mistrust – but Castile had different priorities and a new agenda. While Kagerus and Solace found Litotes disposable, Castile sees a man of opportunities.

They are both predatory, both ambitious. They’ve had women but also have strayed. They are not meek pawns.
    It seems only natural for an odd, respectful friendship to emerge.

Admittedly, Castile is relieved to see Litote’s enthusiasm and agreement with the granted position. A placid nod follows before he looks toward the hills and maps out the residents. ”There is Sochi and Pteron. Brigade is a prisoner that wants to be utilized for his fighting. Maybe Wolfbane, and Vulgaris has remained the Champion. We may have another one or two in addition to you.” The battlegrounds to the south are more often vacant than not. Although kingdoms have armies, very few actually fight. It will be a matter of enticement in the near future, a lure strong enough to increase their numbers and strength. ”I agree,” he adds with a sideways glance, blinking thoughtfully prior to finally focusing again on the man. ”I want us to be a formidable force…” then, with a gleam in his eye, he smugly adds, ”you know, just in case Beqanna doesn’t appreciate our direction.”

War isn’t on his mind, but mayhem? Yes. He wants to stir life among them all, to elicit a loyal bond and interest within Loess. The outside regions may churn angrily, unsettled by waves in the pond. They may retaliate, but Castile can only hope to be appropriately prepared. Another order, another matter, slides into his thoughts as they consider the army and its soldiers. ”Perhaps, I will open up a challenge for the Champion to anyone wanting the title.” A thought spoken aloud as Castile’s mind schemes.

castile

@[litotes]
    There is a certain lack of tension between the two stallions that is distinctly different from their previous encounters. In the short time that they have gotten to know each other, Litotes has grown more comfortable around the dragon-man. Perhaps it is time for him to bring up the beginnings of a plan.

Castile lists off the names of horses the cremello has seen wandering Loess, but never taken the time to meet. He nods in agreement, thinking specifically of the fierce way Sochi holds herself and Wolfbane’s towering presence. All in all, he agrees with the King. Loess needs to be a formidable force, and Litotes will not so easily forget the way he was treated even as a prisoner. His mind lands on his ideas for Beqanna alliances, and he knows he can no longer keep his plans a secret.

“I will call a meeting for them immediately, then make a trip to the field to see who still lingers there.” The plague has run most nomads off but perhaps the Common Lands will possess useful mind (or body). “Perhaps we can try quick sparring - I know we have plenty of citizens with . . . useful powers. I would like to see what all we have to our advantage.” Castile mentions opening a challenge for the champion position. Lie chews on the thought for a moment.

“I think that may be a smart move. Those that try will be impressive in their confidence and we can find who amongst us is the strongest.”

After a pause, the cremello turns to the tobiano with pensive eyes. “Castile, I have to be honest with you about my desires. I am going to challenge the East for Pangea. What that leads to, I do not know, but I can assure you that you will remain within the loop. Until that time comes, I will remain loyal to my position and gather what soldiers.” A grin creases his lips. “I think if we can find a way to bring the lands together, we would have a hold over Beqanna like no else. And, of course, one cannot forget the blessing of Carnage.”

@[Castile]