• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

random story discussion
    Okay so I've been thinking lately, like I've been vaguely dissatisfied with my writing and the shape it's taken and idk I just have been thinking bigger picture I guess? And it's got me wondering like, what makes someone's writing engaging? What makes you want to stick with a character through an entire book, or even more, through a series? What makes you fall in love with a story? So in the interest of idk indulging my random mood, I was wondering if any of you would be willing to geek out at me about some of your favorite books, movies, TV series, and maybe like, what you love about them? What kind of stories keep you coming back over and over again?

Like I regularly reread Harry Potter (been thinking about doing just that again, in fact.) and that's an amazing example of a story that let's be real, makes the whole world fall in love over and over again. I love the show Lucifer, and while part of that is the like, vindictive pleasure I get at throwing it in the face of a religion I found super toxic my whole childhood, a lot of it is just that the dialogue is fantastic, the characters are fun and engaging, and I wanna see where the overarching story goes. I can rewatch Buffy the Vampire Slayer again and again, because my god the character arcs are exquisite and heartbreaking and no matter how familiar the story is from repeat views, there are episodes that make me cry, episodes that make my heart ache, scenes that still horrify me, lines that make me laugh 'til I cry. There's this brilliant, glorious, elusive magic to stories that stick with you, you know? And I just wanna see what you guys have to say about some of the stories that have stuck with you. And what keeps you coming back to them?
    i’m phone so this is way brief, but for me it’s the world building. the wilder the better. take me someplace completely unbelievable and so in depth and wonderful
    This is kind of brief too lol. Anyways when I’m reading I get really engaged by the amount of “fluff” or very advanced/unique word choices, I just feel like it pulls the reader in and makes the current situation so intricate, and personalized. I also love when characters are consciously thinking to themselves, I just find it so fascinating because you really get to see the character’s personality.

Btw I’m a big fan of your words <3
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Heda • Vecna • Vilja
    Thanks, you guys. Are there any specific examples you'd be willing to provide? or like, thoughts on what does the opposite? Themes or approaches or styles that just to not do it for you?