• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

you’re ripped at every edge but you’re a masterpiece, Misfit & triplets
    you were a vision in the morning
    when the light came through,
    i know i've only felt religion
    when i've lied with you
    and i'm still waking every morning
    but it's not with you

For the first time in her young life, things are finally quiet. It wasn’t like her to lay low and melt into the backdrop, but when her and Rhaegor had returned from Island Resort, she hadn’t cared about much else besides him. He settled the wild and chaotic parts of her, but not in a confining way, and she loved him all the more for it.

Still, it didn’t replace her family. It was on this cold morning that the ache in her heart was a little deeper than usual, and she realized it wasn’t going to go away. She missed her mother. She missed her father, and she missed Breckin, and her sisters. As she watched the golden light of dawn as it rose over the volcano, she decided to head towards Nerine. She wasn’t sure where to find her mother — Briseis has always been wayward and wandering — but she knew someone had to be in Nerine.

She heads north, winding her way through the thick forests of Taiga. It was noticeably colder beneath the canopy of the trees, and she finds her blue roan coat pulling tighter over her lithe frame. Tephra was almost always warm, and it had been so long since she last ventured elsewhere that even in the midst of winter, her coat was sleek and short.

To her right, in the distance, she can hear a familiar voice. She immediately stops, stilling her breathing as she strained to listen, singling out the voice away from the bird song and the rustle of limbs. Her heart flutters in her chest, a smile instantly breaking across her face as she nearly bounds through the shadow and brush. “Mom!” She calls as soon as the black mare comes into view, and even though there is a boy next to her, it does not deter her as she nearly collides into her.

There is a moment of pleasant surprise on Briseis’ face when she sees the familiar gold-blazed girl, a warm sensation filling her heart. “Chryseis,” Her own voice is so soft in comparison to her bold daughter, but she welcomes her into an embrace all the same. “My beautiful girl, I’ve missed you.”

“I missed you too,” Chryseis says into her mother’s dark mane, a contented sigh expelling from her lips before she pulls away. Finally, she turns her attention to the blue-pointed boy, and though she says nothing, her eyes flicker to her mother’s expectantly.

Briseis responds by touching her lips to the colt’s neck, her teeth dragging through his lengthening mane fondly before looking back to her first born. “This is your brother, Misfit.” She offers nothing else; no explanation on who his father was, although it was fairly clear he wasn’t a full sibling to begin with. But with her lips still caressing across his smoke-colored skin, it was evident that she loved him, just in the same way she loved Chryseis — and just the way she would love the new child growing inside of her.

“I’m Chryseis,” the gold-blazed girl says with an amicable smile, extending her muzzle to just barely touch his. She withdraws, having never met any siblings besides Breckin’s twins — and she was still a little confused, but if there was worry about her mother, she doesn’t show it. Chryseis herself hadn’t been born out of love; it didn’t surprise her that her mother would have another child, with someone else.

chryseis

@[Misfit] @[Haunt]

Ignore the fact this is utter trash. 

Harken & Harbinger should join too!

;
    The Taiga is a place of ancient trees and cool blue-black shadows, when not playing with the triplets in the miles and miles of trees and fog he still hangs close to Briseis. In spring he’ll be a yearling but he is taking his time with growing up, content with his play and the company of his mother. He’ll have to be chased away a bit at some point, but the dark mare tolerates him, maybe enjoys the attachment. She is growing round with their new sibling. Misfit has been told to stop poking at her belly to make the little stranger inside kick back at him. He nips at his mother’s shoulder playfully as she walks through the quiet forest, and then spirals away to chase and spar with Haunt. He tries to get Harken to race, and affectionately picks on Harbinger. Always going back to Briseis, making her his home base between games.

Breathing hard, he returns to his mother’s side one of these times, tossing head exuberantly. The mustang boy stops when he notices a filly approaching them. She looks like his mother, a little. Her gold blaze draws his eyes and he stares at her as she embraces Briseis. Their voices too are alike, the girls bolder, ringing out against the trees. His blue barred ears twitch in interest and confusion, as their mother introduces them. The grullo boy steps up to meet his sister, extending his blue muzzle back towards her own (the motion eager, less gentle than the roan girls greeting). “Hello!” His blue eyes flash back to Briseis as is to compare them, deciding that Chryseis not a sibling in the same way they triplets are but something closer to him… But how close? How like himself and Momma is she?

“Can you do anything?” He asks stepping closer to smell Chryseis more thoroughly, nosing at her roan neck without being invited, champing his mouth a bit but vibrating with curiosity about the filly. “I can’t do anything, but the triplets can.” He looks for Haunt then, the excitement of meeting his sibling must be shared his them, as everything is shared with the shadow creature. Misfit’s intensity easily comforted when his friend is close.

Misfit

i wouldn't love me neither

we scream our very souls free

The little shadow has become so familiar with the endless depths and hushed nooks of the Taigan forest that it is almost without thought that Haunt trips through the trees. It takes little concentration to step nimbly through the darkness, occasional giggles and shrieks the only evidence of the creature as it plays with its closest friend and shadowy siblings.

Haunt is less tethered to Ether than Misfit is to his mother, though that fact does not seem to bother the child. Nor does the fact that Father is being run rather ragged trying to keep up with the sprightly little boy-girl. And with two other siblings, it is an impossible task, to keep such a spirited child contained. Luckily perhaps, Haunt has a friend that poses as a more successful tether to home than any other incentive might have.

Haunt has grown used to Misfit disappearing occasionally, checking on his mother, ensuring she had not wandered too far. The shadow child does not quite understand it, but accepts the attentiveness as simply an integral part of him. By now Haunt barely notices when Misfit disappears to check his mother, only becoming aware of the absence when it has extended perhaps a smidgeon too long.

It takes only a fraction of a thought to decide to pursue, to turn that pursuit into a game worthy of two rough and tumbled friends. As the creature slips easily through the shadows, eagerness contained behind suppressed laughter, Haunt stalks through the trees until a flash of gray and blue give away the boy’s location. With a hushed giggle, Haunt curls into the shadows before bursting free directly beside Misfit, crashing into him with a shriek of laughter.

It is only as Haunt collides Fit in a flail of limbs that the child realizes Misfit and Briseis are not alone.

you were a vision in the morning
    when the light came through,
    i know i've only felt religion
    when i've lied with you
    and i'm still waking every morning
    but it's not with you

Chryseis is familiar with what Briseis had been like when she was a little girl, and it only takes a few seconds of seeing how the black mare immediately pulls the colt close to her to see that her mother hasn’t changed. She can recall clearly how it used to drive her mad; how even though she loved her mother dearly she used to spend her days plotting how she was going to sneak away at night. It was only with gentle prodding from her father that she had ever been allowed to do anything, though ironically enough, just when Briseis had slowly began to relinquish her hold, Leilan tightened his in an effort to keep her safe.

She had been a well loved child, at least.

But watching the black mare preen over her younger sibling didn’t make her feel sorry for him; she knew he was lucky. They were both lucky, to be born to a mother that would die for them.

When he intrudes on her space, all she can do is laugh. She knew that she herself could be pushy and bold, and instead of being irritated by it, she responded by landing a teasing nip at the crest of his neck, snatching just a few of the hairs of his mane in her teeth. “Who are the triplets?” She asks quizzically, glancing to her mother for an explanation, but true to her form she is off onto the next topic before Briseis can answer. “I’ll show you, but you should back up, unless you want frostbite. ” There is a grain of truth to her words, even though she says it with a laugh. She waits for him to back away — or not, but she knows he will once he feels it — before erecting the nearly invisible shield. Through the strained light of the forest, only a few threads of the frosted, vapor-like veil can be seen, hovering around her. It doesn’t emit enough cold to be felt from a distance, but at a closer proximity — inches, if that — he may feel a slight drop in temperature, though true damage would only happen by a constant, steady contact.

But the disruption of the shadowy figure suddenly colliding with Misfit causes her to falter, the aura disappearing abruptly as she stares at the golden-eyed creature. She looks to Briseis, who doesn’t appear to be the least bit alarmed — like a shadow erupts and attacks her son every day. “This is Haunt,” Briseis answers her daughter before she can even ask, perhaps a little amused by the look of alarm on her face. “One of Ether’s triplets that Misfit was talking about.”

Ether. The named sparks something in Chryseis’ memory, of a day over a year ago, when her mother had come to Nerine. She had spoken of him, and even though Briseis was quiet and reserved, the simmer that still lingered in her eyes had been undeniable. Now, it brought a knowing smirk to her dark lips, as she cast her mother an amused simper. “One of Ether’s triplets, hm? How interesting,” And she can only laugh when she is shot what would be Briseis’ version of a warning glare, but she is already turning her attention to the dark form that had currently tangled itself around Misfit. “How did you do that? The shadow thing, I mean.” She has still not lost her fascination for Beqanna’s magic, especially something she has not seen before. Her curiosity is usually what got her into trouble, but it almost always led her to interesting friends. “I’m Chryseis, by the way.” Her introduction was still an afterthought when something else had her attention; at least one thing about her that has not changed.

chryseis

@[Misfit]
    @[Haunt]