• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
    i've never fallen from quite this high; anyone
    From home, the brilliant aurora is nothing but a dim flicker in the sky. But here, so far north that life itself seems to have frozen over, they are glorious. 

Sheets of soft pale green ripple across the sky, reminding young Pteron of the broad pampas grass of his homeland. He's never traveled this far from them, and is hit with a sudden pang of concern. The dun pegasus had the ability to leave home, it seems, but now he is not quite certain that he should have.

The journey had taken some time, but he'd planned it for some time. Tell Mother he was going to spend time with Dad, tell Dad the opposite, and leave the Brilliant Pampas a few hours before Wolfbane did the same. He's not really sure how much time has passed since he left home, but he's taken a nap or two and eaten a few times. 

Grass is still not his favorite, but Mother has been less and less interested in feeding him as her pregnancy wears on. She'd said something about a little sister, but Pteron refuses to acknowledge that the arrival of a sibling is especially important (though it is certainly exciting!). 

Around him, the wind begins to pick up. He holds his blue and white wings tight against his side, and shivers. They keep him warm - as does his thick winter coat - but Pteron is very grateful he hadn't gone any farther north than this. The land stretches toward the light, but the adolescent stallion is unwilling to take on a glacier, no matter how beautiful the sight might be.

There is a sound behind him and he turns. Before he finds the source - perhaps a voice or or just the rustle of wind on snow - he becomes invisible. It takes less than the time between blinks, and he looks now with intangible olive green eyes.

Leilan
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night
    and the superstars sucked into the supermassive
    Winter may be on its end elsewhere in Beqanna - Icicle Isle never stops being cold. Even in springs and summers, when more ice melts than usual, and the toughest grasses and tawny plants still manage to grow and reproduce, the air is cool. To Leilan, none of this matters, for two reasons in fact: one, the obvious, his icy forms of magical attributes and the subsequent cold-resistance that stems from it, the other that it is simply home.

But his home definitely needs improving. For one, it needed more residents, and part of that meant that it could use more places to shelter from the wind and the ice. That’s why he’d found himself so lucky in stumbling upon Aziz, the earth-shaper, who happened to find it an intriguing question if perhaps frozen ground might be better to work with (or, ice-glazed-over-earth, if Leilan managed to freeze the structures before they collapsed).

Now the two of them moved slowly across the island, Leilan pointing out places of importance, Aziz noting what he could or could not do. They happened to be close to where Pteron had landed right now (Leilan had figured perhaps there needed to be a place near the border where visitors could wait), but due to the boy’s invisibility they hadn’t noticed him yet.

That, however, couldn’t last too long. First of all there’s the smell that accompanies every horse, and second, due to this change in air reaching his nostrils, heat vision was triggered quickly. Seeing that it was only the form of a rather lanky yearling, the draconic stallion wasn’t in a hurry to call him a threat; but it is of course, rather undiplomatic for visitors to hide this way.

The scaled roan softly bumps his bay companion with his shoulder to interrupt their conversation. ”Someone’s here, but it’s not threat,” he says to him, but in a soft and low voice, before lifting his head to call out. ”Hey there, how are you? Not too cold I hope?” As if, perhaps, the boy wasn’t invisible at all (with heat vision, such is always debatable, the roan might think).

you set my soul alight
    HTML by Vanilla Custard

@[Aziz]
    Let me know if any of the above doesn’t suit you ^.^
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |

The walk with Leilan had been quite pleasant so far, the bay stallion didn't particularly mind the cold at the moment, valuing companionship over the need to stay warm. The pair walk quietly along the icy landscape, the snow beneath their hooves crunching as their weight pressed upon it. As they wandered, the bay stallion paid close attention to what Leilan was pointing out, the bay male nodding quietly as he observed the landcape, it had a beauty hidden within it to those who braved the cold, of course, Aziz had not been here long enough to call himself brave enough to endure such weather, he planned on remaining in the icy lands, a small hope still burning within him that maybe one day it would be warmer.  

The walk begins to feel tiring at some point, trudging through snow, his legs quickly becoming soaked in the cold liquid, attaching to his underside like a parasite, stinging him. Reminding him it was still there.
    The male shakes his body in response to the cold attaching himself to him, his warm breath creating a hazy mist for a few seconds in front of them, his eyes searching the vivid expanse for any signs of life.
    Although it was pretty lonely for the moment, the stallion still valued the silence of it all, a land that seemed quite peaceful.

At some point both the horses stop, Aziz shivering slightly as he shook his coat, getting rid of any remaining snow the stuck to his clean coat.
    Aziz turned to look toward Leilan, he too could smell the scent that Leilan was scenting but did not pay much attention to it seeing as there was no one there, or was there?
    Before Aziz could look around Leilan had already mentioned the presence of another horse, adding that they were not a threat "Alright" the stallion nodded, looking ahead of himself as he tried to search for any movement, Leilan is already confronting the ghostly presence as Aziz settles in the cold ground, the stallion shook his legs softly, the snow underneath him separating to reveal only icy ground which was a lot more pleasant to stand on.

Aziz stood slightly further than Leilan, he probably wouldn't be doing any talking anyway and so refrained from going any closer than he should, a small element of respect also causing him to stand down, standing by the side of the leader quietly and patiently, a small breeze of rushing air flowing inbetween them, cutting the thick silence with loud whistles, causing Aziz to shiver.

As they stood shrouded in silence, the bay man's stomach began to growl, Aziz peered downward in a motion of confusion, perhaps he had not eaten in a while, as he thought of it he realised he probably hasn't eaten since leaving the meadow, Aziz turns to Leilan and shrugs, returning his gaze toward where the scent of the horse lurked, the male huffed quietly, expelling streams of steam from his flared nostrils as he stood, his body lifting at the sound of movement, the male's ears quickly pivoting to listen.  

Aziz

—lost and forgotten—

@[Leilan] @[Pteron]
    [Image: N3F7IUd.png]
    His blue-ringed ears flick toward the sound. A pair of stallions, both of them bay, but one with roaning and a metallic mane whom the other seems deferential to. Pteron recognizes this in the way he holds back, the way he allows the more decorated stallion to speak without interruption. Unfocused by this brief but attention-consuming fact, Pteron forgets to hold on to his invisibility.

With his wings puffed around him for warmth and his nose tucked to his chest, the yearling colt is nothing but feathers, four legs, and a pair of olive eyes focused on the two strangers. Even when he realizes he’s been spotted, the dun colt does not move. There are protocols to follow when visiting a foreign land, he knows, he’s forgotten them. Mother had covered that topic on a very sunny summer day, and Wombat had been doing somersaults to taunt him just out of Lepis’ line of sight. Instead of introduce himself or apologize for tresspassing in their home (because he assumes that this must be their home – they smell of ice and snow as much as horse) Pteron answers only Leilan’s questions.

“I’m cold. How do you live here all the time. I think my nose might have frozed off.” Well, perhaps a bit more than just an answer to Leilan’s question.

@[Leilan]

Leilan
    Curious.

The scaled roan tils his head ever so slightly, as the young colt doesn’t exactly live up to a visitor’s expectations. He is clearly young and, perhaps he had flown too far north for his own liking? Now he just stood there, all puffy-fluffy, and it’s only pity that stops the man from laughing right into the kids’ face. Not because he dislikes him, but because his defiant answer is just too funny.

Instead, he smirks at the kid, and looks sideways to Aziz to estimate how the other stallion feels about this, then grins at the stomach growl. They’d better find a patch of semi-green to eat something soon, he supposes,

Then, he walks towards the kid. ”Then we’d better go looking for it! Maybe it’s lying in the snow here somewhere?” he blinks, emerald green eyes looking the colt over in an attempt to see how he fares after that, then scans the ground below the winged boy but looks back up with a shrug. ”I don’t see a nose right now. If you find it, let me know. I think having a nose helps with eating, and my friend Aziz here could do with a lunchbreak, so you can join us when you get it back.”

Swishing his tail, he nods his head to Aziz, both to indicate he can talk and come over (since it appeared that he had not wanted to assume he could - hmm, he’d need some teaching that as far as the scaled roan was concerned, nobody should be afraid to speak up), as well as to sort of introduce him to the boy; then, he looks at the white-and-ice looking pegasus. ”I’m Leilan, and who are you?”

you set my soul alight
    HTML by Vanilla Custard

@[Aziz]
    |

The stallion steps forward as leilan acknowledges him with a nod, the bay man now circling around the colt, his eyes scanning over the male with a grin as Leilan spoke, a respectable nod emerging from his posture as he halted close, his ears perked as they all stood together, the kid was quite a curious one, seemingly lost like a lamb in the freezing cold terrain.

The stallion stands silent for the moment, the mention of a lunch break driving him through the cold, he wondered if the colt would join them anytime soon or just stay, looking a bit like a frozen feather.
    The stallion smiled once more as he rejoined Leilan's side, his body manoeuvring around the cold in a testing manner, a humorous gesture, a hope that he would finally speak up.

The thought of the dome building never really escapes his mind, he still thinks about it quite regularly as they roam around the vast island, his eyes still peering over to stare at the landmarks they had passed.

Aziz

—lost and forgotten—

@[Leilan] @[Pteron] Sorry this is short and garbage but I can't think of anything else right now :/
    Pteron cannot hear the growling of the bay’s belly over the wind in his ears, but he does recognize that the roan’s response to his presence is not immediately hostile since Leilan is able to grin at whatever it is that Pteron has missed. He teases him about his nose, and a soft smile appears in the depths of the dun colt’s puffed wings. Leilan introduces himself and Aziz, the other bay stallion, steps forward to join them. He remains silent, so Pteron lifts his head from his wing to offer the older male a smile.

Perhaps he is shy, Pteron thinks. He follows Aziz’ gaze to the land around them, wondering what it is that he is looking for. There is mostly snow and more snow, but he supposes that the Pampas are much the same to an outsider – grass and more grass.

“I’m Pteron,” he says to them both. “What is this place?”

He had overheard his parents mention a safe but frozen land in the north, but he does not know its name. They hadn’t either – the north had sent no diplomats, after all – and Pteron feels rather bold being the first to venture to it. That boldness replaces some of his doubt about having left home.

“How do you get warm?”

@[Leilan]
    @[Aziz] no need to apologize! <3

Leilan
    Aziz seems a little less comfortable with the situation, somehow - or perhaps he thinks talking to Pteron he might overstep some kind of boundary. To Leilan, it wouldn’t matter if the bay did, but perhaps Aziz would need to be told about his loose idea of ruling in a more explicit manner. 

Pteron is not shy, however. The yearling is quick to introduce himself and ask more questions, questions that for once, Leilan is rather happy to answer. ”It’s called Icicle Isle. I’m sure you can see why.” he smiles a bit, indicating the snow and ice surrounding them. Moving to shield the boy from most the wind, he continues with the second question. ”As for getting warm, I don’t really need to. I have an icy kind of magic. But, for others, I’d say keep moving, and make sure you eat enough - oh, and get out of the wind. For now that means the pine forest in the west, but Aziz can help us with that, too.”

you set my soul alight
    HTML by Vanilla Custard

@[Aziz] short but sweet I guess
    |

Aziz is quick to move in relation to Leilan as he shields the young one from the cold breeze, his smile still painted on his dark muzzle as he watched over him, he listens carefully to Leilan as he speaks about the cold, the conversation slowly shifting to speak of him, Aziz offers a smile in both directions "Yes, hopefully, I will be able to do something about all this nasty breeze" The bay man looks around the icy landscape, his drably eyes focused on the earth, he still had doubts within himself and his ability, most of all, he did not want to fail anyone or cause them harm.

His attentive gaze returns to the smaller horse, his eyes now focused on him, surrounded by the icy cold floor.
    The stallion's cold and now rather rough lips open to speak, a soft unbroken tone escaping his lungs "So how did you end up out here, if I may be the one to ask?" his grin spreads as his question airs, comfortable to continue the speech as they walk if they started to do so, find shelter and rest for a while, maybe he could even test his ability and shape something smaller for the little one, give him somewhere warmer to stay in.

His attention turns to Leilan with the thought still fresh in mind "Perhaps I could try building the small one a shelter, of smaller size. Just to test it out" he poses the question, happy to try it out or just wait until later to see if it would work, most of all he wanted the smaller horse to feel comfortable and warm for now. 

Aziz

—lost and forgotten—

@[Leilan] @[Pteron]
    “Icicle Isle,” he repeats, nodding his pale head at the fitting name for this frozen place. Pteron’s olive eyes take in the sweeping landscape around them. There are no mountains on the horizon here like there are at home – or perhaps he is simply looking in the wrong direction. No, he decides, following Leilan’s gaze at the mention of the pine forest: no mountains at all. The dun colt suddenly feels rather proud of the great distance he must have crossed to get here.

The golden haired stallion has no need of shelter, Pteron surmises, but he looks curiously toward the dark bay as Leila mentions he might be able to help them stay out of the wind. Does he have some magic too, Pteron wonders? The colt is no stranger to the magics of Beqanna, but the gifts of those he knows are wrapped about less tangible things than the bitter wind. The idea of using magic to keep them warm has the winged colt blinking up at Aziz in anticipation, a smile on his blue mouth.

“Oh yes please,” He says to the older male’s offer to build a small shelter. What will he build it from, Pteron wonders? Ice, like Leilan has hinted? Perhaps plants or water or stone like the fairies from bedtime stories. Maybe he might even weave with the stars, like the God Mage can. He is young enough to be impressed by most anything, but his imagination does tend to carry him away from time to time.

As he is waiting, Pteron answers the question that Aziz had asked.

“I wanted to see the northern lights. We cant really see them from home, the Brilliant Pampas, but I thought if I got closer I could see them better and wow...I really can.” Distracted from his focus on Aziz by the reminder of the aerial light show, Pteron raises his head to glance over his shoulder at where the veils of light dance in the sky. “It must be so cool to see this all the time.”

@[Leilan]
    @[Aziz]