• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

their silent thunder matches mine; any

and if you're still breathing, you're the lucky ones
    ‘cause most of us are heaving through corrupted lungs

She doesn’t stop running when she leaves her father.

She doesn’t stop until her coltish legs are trembling and her scaled sides are heaving. She didn’t sweat, her body just didn’t react the same way as a normal horses might. Instead, she just trembles with exhaustion, still running on the adrenaline of her encounter with her father, with the moment where everything in her life came crashing down—when everything began to implode in on her life.

Before she knows it, before she even realizes what is happening, she finds that she is at the field. 

She’s never been here before, never had a need to hunt for a home when her family was her home, but she knows what it is. She takes a steadying breath, the tears having long since dried on her cheeks and tips her head back in a way that is so deeply reminiscent of her mother that Leliana’s breath would hitch if she could see her. Adna doesn’t know what she wants. What she needs. But she knows that she can’t go back home and pretend everything is okay. She can’t face her family right now. She can’t continue to lie.

So with a steadying breath, the serpentine girl walks further into the center of the field, doing her best to look like she knows what she is doing, like she knows why she is here. Her face falls into calmer lines, her sage green reptilian eyes blinking slowly as she looks around at the few horses milling about.

And, desperately, she hopes that her father doesn’t decide to show up here today.

Not until she can find a new home and a new life and disappear into the heart of Beqanna.

Not until she finds a lifeline and a reason to continue holding on.

adna

we're setting fire to our insides for fun
    collecting pictures from a flood that wrecked our home

she has no idea what she is doing.

Eurwen
    in the winter, far beneath the bitter snows
    In a sense, Eurwen is rather lost, herself. Not looking for a new home, yet postponing going there. Instead of running home straight after visiting the fairies, she had visited the playground (met the rudest dragon girl ever in there, so unlike anyone she knew really), and so on her way back, she passed by the field. She would probably not have stopped there, if it hadn’t been for the scales on another girl (young adult maybe, really) that attracted her attention.

She hasn’t had much training in diplomacy. Yet, she knows what Mama and Grammama do - just say hello and be nice. Papa was only nice when he was in a good mood or when he liked the other person, Eurwen had seen (she was happy she was someone he liked). Mama always said he wasn’t a good diplomat and Papa would nod if he heard it, so that obviously wasn’t the way to go.

Reia had not responded well to the more-than-one questions she had asked, so she had to think of one good one, she figured while she walked towards the older filly. She looks... absent. Yes, absent.

”Hello. I’m Eurwen.” The yearling girl starts with the most normal thing she can think of. She reaches almost as tall as the scaled bay, but is clearly much more lanky. It’s the scales that interest a dragon’s daughter, though. The only other one with scales and teeth had been so, so rude, but this girl doesn’t look angry. Maybe she wasn’t so cranky because she wasn’t hungry, but asking would surely upset her if she was. ”Where’d you get those?” she asks curiously, still intrigued by the scales even though she had tried not to be.

lies the seed that with the sun's love
    in the spring becomes the rose

@[adna]

Adna has been trained in diplomacy. Her father has taken her along on his diplomatic trips and although he is more warrior that silvertongue, he has guided her through it all the same. Still, the memory of it—that fuzzy thought of her fanged father gently whispering in her ear—is enough to make her flinch and recoil and forget all of it. She wants to lash out and she feels a lightheaded need to do something reckless.

To be her father’s daughter and sink her fangs into flesh for the first time.

To gain firsthand knowledge of what he means when he says that they are monsters.

She is dizzy with the instinctual need and the fear of herself and the warring desires within her and she closes her reptilian eyes against the headache that begins to brew. When she opens again, she is seeing through a predator’s eyes, watching the heat map of the land around them (the child coming looking more like prey and less like a friend) and she gasps, blinking again desperately, regaining her normal vision.

“Hi,” she says, her voice a little tight, on edge. She doesn’t want to hurt this girl, she reminds herself. She is not her father. Her blood is not cursed. She swallows again and tries to think of her mother, tries to remember that gentleness and tries to remind herself that it is her birthright as much as the serpent.

It is enough to steady her nerves. Enough that she is even able to choke back the pain when the girl asks about her scales. Bile rises in her throat and she shakes her head. “My dad,” she manages. “I look like my dad.” It was once something she was so proud of—something she practically boasted about at every opportunity—and now she can barely get the words out. “My name is Adna.”

adna

@[Eurwen]

Eurwen
    Adna looks a little scared, and a little scary at the same time. Especially when the young mare had responded to her approach, Eurwen noticed. Her voice is tight when she says hello, when she tells the rosy-golden girl about her dad having scales. The filly is reminded of her own family, though none of her father’s children have the scales, she thinks. But the way that.... Adna, talked about her dad, Eurwen doesn’t want to bring up her own. ”I look like Mama, I think. Maybe a bit of both.” she concludes, and figures the topic had better end there.

To the Knabstrup hybrid girl, the world doesn’t hold too many dangerous horses - not that there aren’t monsters though (there were some in the Cove - horse-eating monsters), but surely horses eating eachother is a bridge too far. Even though her Papa has teeth that could shred someone apart, he tries to maintain a vegetarian diet as far as she knows.

But monsters are real. Horses with magic are real too, she knows - she has been granted some of her own, because the stone fairy wasn’t a monster. Magic with which to defend.... or attack. She could do both, even if she might not think of attacking anyone by herself.

Adna, then, looks more interesting than that she looks like a threat, currently. It’s probably stupid of her to assume she might not harm her, the spotted girl knows. But Eurwen is also stubborn enough not to want to budge.

Besides, she looks like she could use a friend. Oh, and a home maybe. That’s what the Field is for, after all, right? ”I’m going to Nerine,” she says then. ”Want to walk together?”

@[adna]

Everything within her splits her apart.

She wants to be her mother’s daughter. She wants to respond with the kindness that her mother has always shown. She wants to be sweet and soft and accept the offer with a quick twist of the lip. She wants to be that young girl of her youth. The one with the bounce in her step and the laugh in her voice.

But she doesn’t know that girl anymore.

She can’t find it anywhere in her aching, bruised heart.

Instead she is her father’s daughter. She is brittle with her pain and her edges are sharp. Her serpentine eyes are bruised and her lips want nothing more than to peel back from her fangs. She can feel them now, the sharp edges of them pressed against the thick velvet of her lip, the poison in them a dark promise.

She’s never once bitten into something. Never felt that release of toxins.

She loathes the wild desire that beats painfully behind her eyes now.

Her vision wavers between the vision of prey and predator and she feels her pulse stammering in her chest as she tries to keep a slippery hold on her control. “I have my mother’s coloring,” she manages, her voice still tight, the vision of her broken and hollow mother almost as painful as the image of her father standing over that crumpled child. Where had it gone so wrong? Where had they broken?

“Why would I go to Nerine?” she says, confusion flickering across her face. She’s never been to the field before—knows its purpose but forgets it in the moment with her heart pounding and her vision blurring.

“I think I should go,” she says, shaking her elegant head, trembling.

“I shouldn't be here. I don’t know what I was thinking.”

adna

@[Eurwen]

Eurwen
    The older filly is distant, and not in a good way. She looks a bit weird out of her eyes now and then, and Eurwen isn’t quite sure if she likes that conclusion. The spotted girl notices the tight voice, the rigid stance, all in all instinctively bad signs. Adna looks like she’s about to snap. Is that her fault?

Her ears fall back in confusion at the reaction she gets. At first she doesn’t answer, but then something in her bounces back. ”To get away. To go to Hyaline or Taiga.” she huffs, stepping back a few yards to look at the weird-acting teenage girl. ”You could have said no in a nicer way.” Almost accusingly so, she says it - she’s trembling, not quite sure if she’s hurt, fearful or angry. Beneath her hooves, a small part of the earth trembles with her; a few pebbles on the surface as well. But she doesn’t notice and Adna probably wouldn’t either.

Suddenly done with this whole ordeal, the spotted girl is ready to go home. She’s not enough of a diplomat (or even a warrior) yet, to know how to handle this situation.

@[adna] figured you wanted her to go to Loess anyway so if you want we can end it here Tongue