• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

I wish I could feel it all for you; Ivar or Carwyn
    I wish I could feel it all for you, I wish I could do it all for you

Once upon a time, she had welcomed them into her mind. They’d been a guiding light, the angel on her shoulder, a tangible connection to her father’s family when the curiosity about her mother’s threatened to overwhelm her.

Now, she mostly consider them a nuisance. It would take way more than an angel on her shoulder for her to live up to their expectations.

The thing is, even Bethanie has to admit that nothing Kellyn has done has ever come close to the misdeeds of her mother and grandfather, despite her constant air of disapproval. But it’s Sorenson’s vague air of disappointed resignation that gets to Kellyn; she’s always had a rather antagonistic relationship with the ghost of her aunt, who has never expected much from Elite’s daughter, but her uncle’s judgement almost means something to her.

That’s why she’s here. It’s not out of pure maternal instinct to check on her daughter, because if anyone is being honest she has the maternal instincts of a bored chicken – never actively doing anything to harm them, but doing very little to raise them, either. But her uncle’s ghost had convinced her that trying to reach out to her spawn was the right thing to do and that it’s what her father and grandfather would do; so here is she is. The waves lap at her hooves and she wrinkles her red nose in distaste at the thought of swimming to the island beyond. Instead, she simply tugs and shifts the web of time around her until the path is at its driest, and trots across the sandbar.

She has to admit the view is nice – and it’s warm, if a little noisy. There’s some sort of bird life in the trees ahead and they aren’t doing anything to conceal themselves. For someone who mostly spends her time in isolation (except the ghosts) and who grew up in the Tundra, it’s a Lot of Noise. ‘Could you be any more critical?’ comes the annoyed voice of her aunt, and Kellyn snorts aloud. ‘I’m sure she’ll be happy to see you,’ is the soothing warm voice of her uncle in contrast, and the little pink mare can almost SEE him glaring at Bethanie in the afterlife. They seem to agree on just about everything except Kellyn.

You know full well ‘glad’ isn’t the right word, she thinks back at him, but looks around for her blue daughter anyway.

Kellyn
    the girl who walks in time and talks to ghosts
    daughter of cagney and elite
    The pink mare is on his island, and Ivar watches her curiously from the shade of a tilting palm. He'd thought that their first meeting would be their last, but he had forgotten how much quieter the world has gotten. Had she somehow found out that this is where he lives, or could her reasoning for being here be entirely unrelated? Ivar is, of course, vaguely hopeful that she's come to announce a pregnancy, but he knows that it is far too early to even suspect such things.

There is still time, he reminds himself, and he has rather outdone himself this year.

"Kellyn?" The golden-eyed stallion asks, having moved closer until he is near enough to be heard without raising his voice. The chatter of the birds makes that a bit closer than it might have been, but he is careful to keep a proper distance between them. She'd been more than willing their shared night, but he's seduced his share of partnered women and knows better than to be presumptuous in the light of day.

"What brings you to Ischia?" His tone is far friendlier than with the diplomats who'd recently left, which is not an uncommon thing. Politics are far from the sapphire dun's forte. He is far more comfortable with one-on-one conversations, preferably with the fairer sex, but he had managed to muddle through.

@[Kelly]
    @[Carwyn]
    I wish I could feel it all for you, I wish I could do it all for you

The little mare is standing unusually still, head slightly tilted, eyes not quite focused. To the casual bystander she probably looks quite odd, but really, she’s just listening. She wasn’t born with the ability to hear the ghosts, and so she has never quite mastered the trick of not trying to listen to them with her ears, even though she’s well aware that it isn’t her ears she’s hearing them with. But she’s drawn from her attention to their bickering with her name reaching her physical ears, and she jerks her hazel eyes around to find the source.

And – oh. Oh. The pony blinks once and tries to reconcile the idea of Ivar, here, where she was looking for her daughter. For the moment, the voices are quiet. Perhaps they’re as shocked as she is. She takes a couple of sideways steps and turns to face him, considering what she wants to say. Ivar isn’t her first one night stand – honestly, he’s not even her worst decision in partners. But that doesn’t mean she’d intended to see him again.

A hum of disapproval at that, from Sorenson. Most likely because HE was her worst decision, and it’s his daughter she was supposed to be finding here today. “I’m looking for my daughter,” she finally says, realizing the silence is too stretched. “Uh, she’s blue. Ish. Her name’s Carwyn.” In her head, Sorenson has gone strangely silent. Kellyn wonders what he knows that she doesn’t. Don’t you have anything to say, she thinks, annoyed, you got us into this mess.

’I think it’s your indiscretions that got us into this mess.’ It’s not Sorenson, but rather the perpetually annoyed Bethanie. There’s an extra edge to her voice, though, and Kellyn is suspicious. A quick jaunt into the past doesn’t reveal anything, beyond the night of mutually satisfactory fun she and Ivar had had, so she flits into the threads of possible futures instead, and realizes why her aunt is so annoyed. In almost all of the futures, there’s a child. ‘Are you going to abandon this one, too?’ That is Sorenson, and the recrimination in her uncle’s voice is enough to make her take a second look at Ivar – and his home.

“Is this you home, Ivar?” she asks, trying to smile rather than scowl, but both expressions are in her eyes. She supposes it would be a nice place to grow up; the warmth, the sun, the sea. Better than the Tundra, for sure. The real question is, would Ivar make an acceptable father? Or would the child be better in the hands of Kellyn’s family? Her father and grandfather had done well enough raising her first few children, after all.  

Kellyn
    the girl who walks in time and talks to ghosts
    daughter of cagney and elite

@[Ivar]
    @[Kellyn] rolled a 1 and is infected.
    A 4 means she will show symptoms.
    The plague didn't roll for a trait because her player thinks she doesn't need any more really.
    He seems to have startled Kellyn, though from what he can’t imagine. There is no one else on the beach, and it is too early in the day for the strange glowing of the sea to have snared her attention. Whatever it had been, she doesn’t settle much even after recognizing him. So perhaps she’d not come here to find him after all. Her words confirm this; she’s here looking for her child. Ivar is ready to tell her there are no children here - at least, not children that are not his own – when she names the blue horse she is looking for.

The surprise in his face is quite clear. The kelpie has never bothered hiding his reactions to others; politeness is something that he simply doesn’t care about.

“Carwyn?” He repeats. The name of one of his consorts, a now-pregnant blue mare who Ivar realizes has more than a passing resemblance to the strawberry roan in front of him.

“She’s here,” adds the kelpie, who is faintly aware that this situation is somewhat more delicate than he had first suspected. Rather than fret, the blue dun stallion weighs his options. As long as the mother-daughter pair have no unexpected magics, Ivar sees no threat. He could keep them both here (Carwyn seems especially pliant). Perhaps they’ll even appreciate their shared life experiences. It’s rather nice of him to have brought them together like this, Ivar tells himself. Perhaps Kahzie’s horses aren’t as mean as @[Colby] thinks after all.

“Yes, Ischia is my home.” He answers, glancing down the beach as though to encompass the island. “Sunny and warm year-round,” he adds with a smile that is warmer than hers – though he is not put off by her hesitance. “Carwyn likes it here too. She thinks it will be a good place to raise our son.”

@[Carwyn]
    @[Kellyn]