• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

just to be alone with you; anyone
    If it weren’t for the feel of the breeze on her face, Jhene could believe that she has literally melted into the warm stone. She is lying on her side, her right wing tucked beneath her body while her left stretches above her head and shades her eyes from the gloriously warm sunlight. As yellow as sandstone, the pegasus’ palomino skin is the perfect temperature, and the light is all the more wonderful after months of darkness.

The thick scar tissue at her withers is completely painless today, the culmination of what had seemed to be endless time healing. It looks better than it could; much of it is disguised by the jagged edges of her appaloosa coloring. The spotted blanket starts at her shoulders and covers her rump, where it is speckled with spots of varying size in the same shade of yellow as her head and chest.

A loud squawking disturbs her rest, and Jhene raises her head to look for the source. Her one good eye is narrowed in focus, but there is nothing more than a parrot, loudly voicing its distaste with the palomino mare taking up the best sunning spot on this beach. The mare snorts at the little bird, pulling herself into a standing position. She shakes out each of her thickly feathered legs and then the length of her dusty mane. She has not yet socialized since her arrival, and she does not think that Ivar would mind.

Startling the parrot into flight with the sound of her voice, Jhene calls out: “Hello? Anybody there?”
    He had parted ways with his sister on the beach, taking to the sky in quest of their iron brother. Maybe a vain mission. If Kromium didn't want to be found, hiding would be as easy standing still in a sense patch of greenery. Iron was not, by nature, a shiny metal. Still he looked, if only to keep Karat happy. She seemed to want them gone quickly, and the pastel pegasus was more than happy to oblige. 

With practiced motion his head snaked from side to side as he flew, catching as much with every pass as his half-sight would allow. When his path brought him to the far side of the island he considered going back. Maybe Karat had better luck than he going by foot. Curiosity altered his plans when a golden glint struck the edge of his vision. A small adjustment in primary feathers curved his gliding flight pattern into a decent over what he could now make out to be a sunlight and sand colored someone reposing among the dunes. Dropping out of the air and into the shining sand with a muffled thump, he grinned as a pair of multicolored birds took offense at his entrance. 

Tail whisking grit from his hocks, a devilish smile fixed in place on his maw, Kwartz took in the freckled female before him. His aquiline head tilted to the side, fixing her with his functional eye. The dead one stared whitely out from under the mask of his forelock. But for the splashes of buttery yellow here and there, he could be the image of his sire. "Hallo, luv. Curiosity killed the cat and I couldn't help but to see what sorts of creature call this place home. Name's Kwartz. What do they call you?" Maybe it was a little foolhardy to name himself so easily, but he couldn't resist. The island was damn near deserted anyway, he may as well make his mark while he could. 

@[Jhene] Wink
    Her ears flick toward the sound of sand shifting under sudden weight, and Jhene's mottled nostrils flare widely as she attempts to catch the stranger's scent. It is not Ivar, she knows; he is bound to the earth. It is not someone she knows at all, though she turns her head to the side to peer at him with a left eye that is thick with cataracts (though not so milky as the right).

The stranger is a stallion and rather quick to introduce himself, which brings a smile to the palomino's mouth.

"Hello Kwartz," she says, her voice soft and suspicious. There is nothing for her to fear here, after all. Ivar had promised her. "My name is Jhene." He had also told her that there were no other stallions on this island but Lochwood, and yet there is Kwartz not ten feet away - clearly no figment of her overactive imagination.

"What are you doing here in Ischia?" She asks, shaking a bit of sand from her golden wings. "You don't live here, do you? You're visiting?"

@[Kwartz] she is a nice girl okay :|
    The way she tilts her face is familiar to him. It's a perfect mirror of his own bird-like manner, fixing each other in their monocular sights. 

She was pretty, there's no doubt about it. No one in their right mind would argue it. He blinked, swerved his head to see more of her. Golden as the sand beneath their feet, with fine horns and elegant wings. He was a sucker for pegasi. Probably a vanity thing, or maybe some freudian weirdness. Nothing he cared to look at too hard. But looking at her was no hardship at all. A more genuine smile than he'd worn in a long while softened his expression as she returned his introduction. 

"A pleasure, Jhene." He paused to shift his hold on the unfamiliar surface beneath them. "On a visit, with my brother and sister. More business than pleasure, I'm afraid, but I can't seem to stay away from pleasure long. Hence my wandering." He chuckled at his own poor attempt at a joke, but made no move to get closer to the sand speckled mare. For a perfect stranger, Kwartz was amazed to find that this Jhene already felt more like a sister than his own Karat did sometimes. They certainly had more in common at first glance. 

The lavender stallion was at odds with himself. His first instinct when faced with a lovely creature was to seduce it. Pleasure was the goal of his life, after all. At the moment though, it seemed a better option to just stand idly on the beach talking. What the hell. Readjusting his wings aimlessly, he decided to just go with it. It was a nice day, and while yes, he was supposed to be looking for Krom.... well, what Karat didn't know wouldn't hurt her. 

Resting back on his heels, Kwartz took a languid look at the place. "Lived here long? I can't say island life would ever really be my thing, but at least it's warm." He observed mildly, trying to say something nice about what was probably her home. Really, Tephra would be lovely after this. It was still humid there, but at least the sand was minimal. He'd been here a day,  and there was already sand in his feathers and up his nose and chafing in places that should not chafe. Ever.  

@[Jhene]
    The purple horse sounds polite, and Jhene's smile grows. She is a trusting creature, and the idea that he is travelling with his siblings softens her further. "I haven't seen my brothers and sister in years." Admits the palomino mare. "Not since I came to Beqanna." It's not a typical admission, but any appropriate filter has long since disappeared from the soft-eyed appaloosa.

"A few months," She answers. "I like the warmth. I have never been very good at living in the snow, and I was raised on an island not too different from this one." It was less tropical, Jhene recalls, but many of the details have disappeared with time and hyponosis.

Unable to see the pegasus clearly, it does not occur to Jhene that the stranger might be attempting to flirt with her. She is not very good at that sort of thing anyway. Her intentions are innocent when she steps forward, and places a friendly tap to his shoulder. That is the way she likes to be greeted, after all, and how Ivar lets her know he's nearby when she cannot see him in the shadows.

"If you have some time before you head back to business, you might like the waterfall at the center of the island." Recommending the pool to unfamiliar stallions is the first thing she'd been taught about life on this tropical isle. Jhene cannot determine safety from danger but she doesn't have to, not on this island where nearly every resident is deadly. "Where do you live?" She adds