• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  Home my heart to thee [ Nalia ]
    Ardashir
    The limestone cliffs were home and the isle of ice beyond them a dangerous mystery. The tides there were still in upheaval over who would claim, who would lead.. The land of cliffs seems so empty at times with horses making travels to both the kingdom and to the isle to help where they could. The ghost had even gone and had mostly just stood there watching it all. He came back when the queen had called and had nearly lept into the sea right after her.

But, there were others things that held his feet in place for now. He offered his voice to the winter wind calling. He had to speak to Nalia and get her to go to safety with the others. The winged mare might not go and that was alright as well if that's what she wanted but, he wanted her safe from the plague. The time they had spent in the cave had opened a part of him that was still raw and burning. A need to protect someone that he had confessed to. He loved Nalia and would do almost anything for her.
    Out under the sky...

@[Nalia]
    You’ve mistaken the stars reflected on the surface of the lake at night for the heavens.
    To say that Nalia was very tired was quite an understatement, but given all she was going through lately made sense. Ever since Beqanna became stricken with 'the Plague' as many called it, the filly had been busy going out to try and offer solace to those in need of a safe home, where they could potentially be safe from the Plague. Their home was not immune, not foolproof, but the promise of a force to protect them and a kingdom that was safe and hadn't become fully stricken seemed like music to the ears of some. Sadly, a good number of them needed help getting to Isicle Isle, as they believed getting off the mainland fully would solve their problem.

And so, Nalia had busied herself with not only helping in Nerine however she could, but also traveling to the Isle and lending a helping hoof to those there who needed it. She willingly offered the Queen and Champion her assistance how she could, following them without hesitation if she was not busy doing anything else. Moments of peace were quite rare nowadays, but whenever they came along, Nalia took advantage of them wholeheartedly, assuming she was tired. If she had even a sliver of energy left, Nalia was off to help again, barely taking time to care for her own self.

As it was, the filly had lost a small bit of weight due to all her traveling. She didn't look any different since she had a bit more muscle on her body to begin with, and her wings helped to conceal any effect on her belly that would expose her ribs. Last time she checked, they still weren't noticeable, but should one poke her in the side, they were more easily felt than before all this craziness started. Still, despite her fatigue and lack of self-care, Nalia looked normal, save for a slightly dull coat that came with how tired she was.

Nalia had found a quiet hollow to rest in, laying down on the soft grass and folding her legs under her, laying her head down and allowing sleep to claim her. Her rest was disturbed an hour or so later by Ardashir's call, and though Nalia wished to continue resting, she got up and prepared to her out to see him for two reasons.

One, she liked his company, and two, given what was going on at the time, if Nalia didn't respond to his call in some way, he might end up assuming the worst. That she'd become a victim of the Plague outside Nerine, and had stayed away to avoid infecting others.

Deciding to save her strength, Nalia resorted to walking to meet Ardashir, eventually picking up her pace to a trot when she saw how high the sun already was and determining it'd take too long to get there. After a good hour or so of traveling, Nalia arrived at the coastline, finding Ardashir after a short while, seeing him standing on an outcrop that looked out over Isicle Isle.

The painted filly smiled bright at seeing her friend, a small butterfly bubbling in her belly at recalling one of the more recent times they were together. The time they'd explored the caves was wonderful, enjoying a swim in the pool before heading out to explore a couple other smaller ones. But one thing Nalia wouldn't forget was what Ardashir had said to her, surprising the filly to the point that she had difficulty finding the right words to respond.

Ardashir had used that four-letter-word, one that Nalia was familiar with in terms of family and friends. She loved her dam, the one who'd raised her. She loved her sire, despite not knowing him. She loved her friends from her time as an adolescent, knowing she would have done anything to keep them safe. They'd gone from friends to a makeshift family, looking out for and helping take care of one another before and after they'd lost the older stallion that joined their band.

But this love was a foreign subject for her. Nalia wouldn't lie and say there weren't stallions she'd been attracted to, but again, it wasn't necessarily 'love'. She'd thought some were handsome, some were attractive for having a good personality, and some had both. Ardashir was included in that last category, and in time, Nalia would possibly have grown to understand that her feelings were developing into something more than friendship.

But then he'd surprised her, and the filly was effectively caught off guard, something she did not like one bit.

"Ardashir," she called in a gentle voice, approaching the taller stallion and reaching out to nuzzle his neck with her tapered nose. She pulled back to look up at him, her eyes calm but slightly concerned, "It is good to see you. Is everything all right? Has there been another development?"

@[Ardashir]
    Ardashir
    He wondered to himself if his confession was wrong. Did she feel the same churning feeling that he did for her?  The white stag had never thought that his bond with those of Nerine was love but, as he stood looking out over that ocean. Could it all be the same? He had never been that close to his adoptive mother and some part of him was surely suffering for it. So, the love of a mother was something that seemed strange to him. The feelings he had about the members of Nerine varied. He respected Scorch and, Breckin, and lastly all of those that came before them. He tolerated Leilan like a brother tolerates his sibling.

What he had said to Nalia was new to him. And, he seemed to have surprised her with it. He was conflicted now. His ears lowering a moment and he shook his head. Maybe, the two of them were better as friends? There was a part of his mind that nagged him that she was only interested because he had been champion. He put that last part out of his mind.

The sound of someone approaching snapped him back into his present mind. She touched him and his muscles melted almost under that touch. Her closeness and her scent brought back that fuzzy feeling that slipped down his spine and made his coat bristle just that tiny bit. He had to get control of himself around this little winged mare. He did not want to seem like a new foal fumbling around on his first hours legs. He nodded his head and coughed moment.

Everything is as alright as it can be with all this plague business going around.” The white stag turned his head and stroked his chin along her neck some. A low noise came out of his through that might have been close to a purr if he were a cat. “ I was just thinking that you should head to Icicle isle. I am told that it is safe from the plague.” He lowered his head placing his forehead on her shoulder as he continued, “ I think it is said that one can not catch it there. And, I of course want you safe. But, I will not force you to go if you do not wish to.” It would be good option for Nalia though. The stallion did not wish to see her get sick and have to fight that battle. He felt selfish sending her to safety if only for his peace of mind.
    Out under the sky...

@[Nalia]
    He is a big ol ball of confusion
    You’ve mistaken the stars reflected on the surface of the lake at night for the heavens.
    Nalia worried she had startled Ardashir when he stiffened up a bit under her touch, coughing before he spoke. She didn't understand the effect she had on him at that moment, but no doubt would look back on it later once she did and give a little giggle when she put the puzzle together.

The filly could only nod her head at Ardashir's first statement, "That's putting it lightly. I've been out to the Field here and there to see the results of the damage; it hurts to see how many horses have become sick and cannot find a home. To know they are being turned away because of what they carry, even though they need help... it troubles me. I want to help somehow, but I haven't figured it out yet."

Ardashir stretched out his muscled neck and brushed his muzzle along Nalia's neck, an action that caused the filly to quietly sigh in a pleasant manner. The touch was quite intimate, yes, but it was soft, gentle, and it did feel good against the tight muscles in her own neck. With how stressed she had been lately she was relieved for this moment of peace.

The stallion that told Nalia he had plans to go to the Isle to escape the effects of the Plague, something she had also considered after seeing the sick horses out in the Field. She didn't seem fazed when Ardashir pressed his forehead to her shoulder, instead nuzzling his poll before adding in her own opinion.

"I have heard that as well, and I agree, it could be a safe place, for the both of us. I have considered it, Ardashir, I have. But I do not know if I can just retreat to safety while there are others out there who could use my help. And I don't know if I want to go if you're going to end up staying here; knowing you could wind up sick and in need of help would worry me."

@[Ardashir]
    Ardashir
    The stag had traveled along the free lands and had started to witness what this sickness brought to the horses there. The words on others lips passed to his ears from what he could gather the kingdoms and herds that could were starting to try to gather the magically inclined. Maybe though he should voice what he had found out in his travels.

He listened to the winged mare though as she shared her own experiences in the field. “ Sometimes the kindest thing can just to offer an ear to listen. And, a shoulder to cry on.” He shrugged a moment and removed his head from her shoulder, “ Though I am sure that might be a way to contract this illness as well.” He knew the sick needed homes and not to be shunned by former family and friends. Ardashir would suffer the sickness with an air of subdued respect if he contracted it.

I hear that the kingdoms and free lands are gathering those that can heal. To stem a little of the spread or at least help those affected already.” He added a moment later and made a slight movement with his lips to touch her mane for just a moment. The stag did not want to smother the mare with his affections just a little nudge here or there. He listened to her once more as she spoke about considering the move to icicle isle. He nodded a moment and felt a little sting when she spoke of how she would worry for him if he stayed behind.

You are a growing diplomat and the world of beqanna is in need of them at the moment. There is tension hanging everywhere in the air. I hear that Brennan is coming to Nerine so should I stay there is a chance I will be able to at least be healed in some capacity. But, seeing you go to the isle will do its own measure of pain to me. The world is in need of a kind heart with an ear to listen and a mouth to offer words of wisdom and guidance.

The large stallion pushed his muzzle against her neck taking in a deep breath of her scent and then breathing out once more, “ I could not bear to see you sick either. I stay because my place is in Nerine until I am needed in another place. Perhaps to be called one day to Icicle isle. And, it's not like I do not know how to swim if I want to visit anyways.” He chuckled a little into her neck. “ I fear I am making no sense at all.” He closed his eyes sighing heavy and took a moment to gather his thoughts.

Nalia you seem to bring out the shy little colt in me. I do not know what to say around you. Or, even how to act properly sometimes. But, I want you to know that they need you there.”
    Out under the sky...

@[Nalia]
    Nalia let out a small chuckle when Ardashir moved his head off her shoulder, "I'm sure, but so far, I think I'm one of the lucky ones. I haven't contracted any signs of the illness yet, but I know I still need to be careful." For some reason, the stallion moving his head away made Nalia feel cold; she missed the warmth of his powerful breath on her shoulder, making her feel warm and content.

She closed her eyes for a moment when Ardashir touched her mane, feeling a small tingle beneath his muzzle. She listened quietly as well when Ardashir offered what he had to say next, how Brennen would hopefully be able to heal him and how the horses of Isicle Isle needed a kind heart and an ear to listen to troubles, something Ardashir obviously thought the painted filly had. He stated he could not bear to see her sick and, though it pained Nalia to leave, she had to admit his concern was well-founded. She didn't really want to leave, but she didn't want him to stay here where he could become sick...

"No, you're making perfect sense. Doesn't mean I have to like everything you say," Nalia murmured, making it obvious she was troubled by his declaration to stay here. Ardashir took a moment before addressing her again, and his words made Nalia smile. She breathed in and stepped closer to the stallion, running her muzzle along the lines of his powerful neck. She stayed close to him as she spoke again.

"I'm glad you trust me enough to be more open around me," she told him. "You may say they need me there, but I still have much to learn. I can do what I can... but that doesn't mean I like that you'd stay here if I left... you seem to be ignorant of the impact you've had on me and how much I've grown to care for you."

@[Ardashir]
    Ardashir
    There was the clear benefit of good health and not ever contracting the plague on the isle. The added bonus of which that he could remain close to Nalia and it was true that the two of them had grown rather close. The stag nodded his head some, “I agree you don’t have to like anything that I say.” Ardashir let a chuckle pass his lips, “You are after all a diplomat in training, and an intelligent mare that is not afraid to speak her mind.” She stepped in closer to him and his own bristling fluttering feelings washed over his back and down to the end of his tail. She touched his neck and he lowered his head some to nibble at her mane a bit more.

She spoke and he listened as he always did when spoken to. He kept his chin along the top of Nalia’s poll taking in the scent of her mane some more. “The tension on the isle is at a razors edge. And, I know that there are no words that I can offer you as comfort for me staying in Nerine.” He moved a couple steps into her pressing as close as he could to her body. The stallion lowered his head tucking his neck over her a bit and may have let a deep sounding nicker pass his lips. “I cannot fathom what feelings you have and are struggling with knowing that if I stay I could become sick.” His ears swung a moment and another smoky sigh passed his nostrils, “I was not blessed with a tail for swimming, or wings for flying.” He might have tried to stretch that neck of his to touch one of her grulla wings, “I still have my legs in good health. I care deeply for you Nalia and I would swim the channel between these lands a thousand times to be with you. Sick, or healthy.” The stag licked at her lightly a moment, “I love you Nalia..

That four letter word had slipped out of his mouth again. The stallion understood though that just because you said suck words did not mean that mares would not fall at his feet. He did not want all mares though he just wanted the grulla paint mare that was cuddling with him. “ I don’t want to talk about sickness anymore. Can we talk about something like..” He thought a moment and blew onto her fur, “What we want the following year to bring us, or what it might be like to try to have a family.

Out under the sky...

@[Nalia]
    "As much as it pains me to say it, you're right about one thing. With so many migrating to the Isle it's making it difficult to see if any one horse there would be willing to follow only one leader. So many would like to claim it on their own, but they fail to see that stuff like this is what has led to Beqanna's downfall in the past..."

Nalia felt the stallion press himself close to her, reaching down with his neck to pull her closer to his chest before extending his muzzle to gently brush against one of her wings. But even though she worried for him and if he stayed behind in Nerine, for some reason, his words were starting to offer her comfort. Especially after he said that no matter if he was sick or healthy, he would swim the ocean between Nerine and the Isle just to be with her.

But then, he said something she never would've expected to hear. When he did say it, for a moment, the two horses stood there, silent, and it gave Nalia a chance to absorb what he had said. It struck her as odd for a minute that he did say that four letter word, but the issue here was that, outside of her dam saying it to her, Nalia had never heard it in this context before. True, when she began experiencing something for Ardashir, feelings she didn't understand, she sought the opinions of others, but even when they offered support she still didn't fully understand.

This love they spoke of... coming to love one another to share your life with... come to think of it, this was similar to the love that her dam held for her sire before his passing, not at all like the love the stallion that killed her sire felt for her dam. That one was wrong... it was angry, possessive, not like what Ardashir was showing her. He was kind, gentle, he chose to stand with Nalia, and never spoke a foul word or raised a hoof against her. Was that necessarily a good thing? Nalia could be naive enough to the point of it being dangerous, so sometimes she might need a stern attitude, but still someone who would understand her.

Would Ardashir provide that? They were both young, and Nalia still had a lot to learn about the world, but the diplomats had helped train her in their specialty, as well as in certain aspects of life. Would Nalia be able to let this stallion in, to help keep her balanced the way her sire had done for her dam? She didn't know if she'd regret it later, but for right now, her gut was telling her she was safe... she was protected in this stallion's arms.

"Yeah, I'd like to talk about something else now... all this sickness stuff is getting to me," she joked, knowing that was a bad one. "I think the following year could hold a lot of promise... moving up in the kingdom's ranks, helping others find homes - wait, did you say, you wanted to have a family?" she asked, a bit surprised, wanting to make sure she heard him right.

@[Ardashir]
    Ardashir
    I do not know about much of beqanna’s past. But, I am sure if you have the time I have the ear to listen to some lessons on history.” He groomed Nalia a bit as they stood and cuddled with one another common enough for their species. It helped to calm his mind and take him away from the thoughts of sickness and of possible war.

He was still learning his place in the world as well. Upturned by the emergence of the new isles and even more by the spreading of the plague. Ardashir had a lot of work to do still with in the war caste. He had to prove himself a good leader, and also how to practice patience. He knew better than to jump at the first sign of conflict let the diplomats try their words and, if those fail then be the shield at their back. He wanted though to only be at Nalia’s side for the moment.

He had meant every letter in that word. Nalia was someone that was growing increasingly important to him. No body of water or cavern in the earth would keep the stallion from her. Granted the later needed him to sprout wings of his own. There were few horses in his life that he claimed to be close to and even among those few just Nalia held a special place in his heart. Breckin was like an older sister type and her dragon stallion was a brother. The white stag wanted Nalia to be his wife; his one and only mare that he could cleve to in times of need and she to him.

I was under the impression that is what horses that are in love do..have a family.” He fumbled a moment after all Ardashir was only around six or seven years of age. He might have been mature in body but, the large stag was still growing and learning. He had never interacted with a mare like he did with Nalia. He had spoken to Breckin and Scorch but, never did he try to touch or cuddle with them. The stallion snorted a little with embarrassment, “ That is if you want to have one. I am fine with it just being the two of us for now.” The ghost offered a little nudge to her shoulder, “ Then again we are still learning so much about each other. So, I do understand if this sounds rushed to you my dear Nalia.

Out under the sky...

@[Nalia] 
    took forever I know. Sorry.
    "I... I mean, it does make sense... I've just, never thought about it..."

Ardashir's inquiry had caught Nalia off guard there; she meant it when she said she hadn't really thought about having a foal of her own one day, given she was still rather young. She'd had fleeting thoughts, wondering what it would be like to raise one since she often saw the mares in the Field and those in Nerine with their young, but she hadn't ever thought of having a foal of her own by her side in the spring.

Still, it wasn't a thought that troubled her. In fact, it excited her a bit, but also terrified her. She was young; what if she didn't know enough to give her young one a good foalhood to grow up in? Shhe ad a lot to learn, growing as a diplomat and an individual horse. What qualities would she be able to pass onto a young one now? Ardashir seemed like he could pass on a little more since he was older, but would it be enough for their little one?

Nalia felt her cheeks heat up a little when that thought came to her. Their little one... the thought sent a pleasant feeling down to her belly, and for an unknown reason, the more she thought about a little Ardashir running around in the form of their foal, the happier she became.

Ardashir nudged Nalia's shoulder and offered some words of encouragment, saying that he was comfortable with their life being just the two of them for the time being despite hinting at how he would like to have a family. Nalia had doubts, many about little details of what could happen over the next year, but she didn't hesitate with her next words.

"I like it being the two of us right now too Ardashir, despite our jobs for Nerine," she mentioned. "But... even though I think of those in Nerine as my family... the thought of a little one... it makes me happy... the thought of one with you... even happier..." she trailed off with a smile, directing her gaze to the stallion.

@[Ardashir]