• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  Glaciers melting in the dead of night

Leilan
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night
    and the superstars sucked into the supermassive
    Chaos, it's all chaos. In the midst of everything, he left his mother and sister, thinking they could deal with themselves. He'd given them one instruction to hold on to, should they panic; if they went to the safe island like he'd asked, at least he knew where to come find them later. Now, the world consisted of panicky-thoughts and trying to make sense of what happened - obviously the killing of this chestnut guy in Pangea had set some things in motion.

Never trust a god.
    Or a fairy? Hmm. Well, he was alive, let's leave it at that.

It seemed there had been enough idiots in the world to still heed Carnage's advise. The fairies had done their best. Their best was, in his case, that he'd live on a friggin' freezer. Not that he would mind, but, he couldn't imagine that everyone else in Nerine was as nu-susceptible to snow and ice as he was. Nobody could ask that they moved all of Nerine to that island; there were pregnant Leviathans among them, he was quite sure. Would a child born on that icy place even survive? They'd be wet, right, if he remembered correctly? Could milk freeze? Hmm, he doesn't think so, but still, it's a lot of stress.

Breckin of course, would only be panicking on the inside. Unlike him - she didn't really show stress. Most of the time anyway. And not to others, at least. Big strong Leviathan. Wasn't he just a winner for even knowing her.

That doesn't mean he's not super tense right now. She might be... anywhere. Ugh. The second you go comfort a sister, she manages to disappear right when he needs to make sure she's safe because everybody knows she would just run around trying to help the scared residents and whatnot.

As long as that 'rearrangement' of the twittery butterflies hadn't trapped her, that was. Gods-fairy-friggin' - whatever. Keep the head. Look around.

Switching visions back and forth, it takes time to notice who is who, but at least there's no trapped horses on his way. Keeping an eye out for that speck of white he wishes to see healthy, he trots around the kingdom anxiously, and rather aimlessly.

you set my soul alight
    HTML by Vanilla Custard

@[Breckin] It is timed now/right after running out of Sarkis thread, but no rush, I know you have the other things to catch up to, first. That's fine. Marked private because reasons. (:
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |
    As the rest had, she had heard also.  

Like an echoing dull ache their words had pressed themselves into the foremost of her thoughts.  They demanded to be acknowledged, to be addressed and unignored.  And that was exactly what she intended to do.  Whatever she had been doing no longer mattered then, and she redirected her course in search of those she needed to know were okay--or at least for that moment.  And while she moved, Breckin attempted to exercise efficiency, calling both her anxiety and logic alike to compose the best makeshift plan she could manage for the sake of immediate action.

"Leilan!"  

Spotting the gold easily enough, she honed onto it like the beacon it was.  Stepping recklessly in front of him to block his path, she tucked herself under the curve of his neck to embrace him.  For a minute she is contented and relieved, finding some strength from the warming sensation of him just being so near to her.   She knows she should pull away then, find his colorful eyes and hold their gaze, but she can't bring herself to do it yet.  That moment will come in a few seconds anyway, she's nearly certain of it.

"I'm pregnant," she says against his coarse scaling.  Not the best timing of course, but he needed to know her suspicions, and in light of the change in their world, it forced her hand.  Thinking it might be better to get that bit of news out in the open first before anything else, she continued, "I'm sorry I've been so short-tempered lately."  Admittedly, she did not have the greatest patience in the world with him to begin with, but lately, even her own irritability had magnified to proportions she didn't even think possible.  That should've been the first indicator, but she had ignored it.  What she hadn't been able to ignore was the sudden growth in her barrel, even when she had at first tried to reason that it was just her winter's coat filling out, or the strange, benign movement she had felt within her yesterday.  Normally she might've been upset with her change in condition, for allowing herself to slip up during the prime of the season, maybe even for letting Leilan even get near her during that time.  But now, she can't find the heart to act on trivial emotions.  There were just too many other pressing issues to deal with.

But for now, she remains silent, giving him the time he needs to process and react before she would continue with the rest of her thoughts.

@[Leilan]

Leilan
    He was probably always better to find than her, he supposed. No, wait that’s not true - he has been better to find than her since that one quest from the golden goddess. But Breckin never knew him any other way - and perhaps he is indeed a beacon, in the light, or at least right now.

Never mind that though - she knows to home in on him (either by his anxious face or just her own anxiety). He nearly pushes her off balance, managing only by the strong counterforce of her hug, to steady.

She’d said something.

He’d jinxed it, hadn’t he? Thinking of children and wondering if Icicle Isle was save for the young. But, she must be joking - no, she couldn’t have known. But - what - wait - that meant

It’s the worst timing in the world. He almost wants to tell her no, this can’t be but swallows it just in time because that’s not what she wants to hear, or needs to. Surely she’s had her own troubled thoughts about this already. Lovely Breckin, she has a kingdom to lead - people looking up to her for safety when all she’d likely want to do is hide away. Oh, and blame him of course. He’d done this to her.

Yet, she’s not angry. Puzzled, her other words register. Sorry she’s been short-tempered?

That’s putting it mildly, as is his exaggerated opinion. He moves, finally (had been stunned up until this point and held his breath) and hugs her back. Blinking against the weird reality of it all. A magic Plague. A shift of lands. She’s pregnant. Not that he minds being a father, especially not to her kids - oh, but it’s the first time. For both if them, because, he’d not known about any of the others before they had already been born. Missed this whole part, whatever it was exactly. But it’s her first, too, at least that she knows of. Pregnant. A baby. Hers would be the very cutest in the world no doubt. And she’d do great. ”You’re gonna be great.” He said that aloud. Hmm. Doesn’t matter because it’s true.

He sighs a little, fussing with her mane like the world and the plague just don’t exist for a moment. Then nudges her shoulder. ”At least we finally know what has gotten into you lately.”

you set my soul alight
    HTML by Vanilla Custard

@[Breckin] I did that. :|
    |
    You’re gonna be great.

It should be nice to hear, but his attempt at reassuring only brings the doubt she carries to rise to her fore thoughts.  She hasn’t fully had time to worry about it yet, to even allow herself the time to process the situation in her own way or its implications or the difficulties bringing a child into a Plagued world would cause.  Surely something like this should bring happiness (or more likely in her case anger at first), and perhaps normally it would have in a different situation, but there’s only a resolute sadness that she feels now.  Even as he holds her and works at the tangled strands of her mane there is sadness;  a sadness that she feels briefly for how discovering her pregnancy should have gone and for how she would have reacted and for how he might have reacted to the news and her attitude.  And a sadness for how her anger would surely, slowly fade to an excitement that she might try and ultimately fail to conceal from the rest of the world.  But the only shift of emotions she can actually develop is the sadness that ultimately gives way to a logical based indifference.   But this attitude of indifference is not her usual mannerism, especially not in private moments like this that she shares with Leilan.  He might notice it, the obvious lack of emotions right now, but it’s her way of coping and to keep some semblance of sanity for the people she leads.

And ultimately, there could be no going back from this, no changing things, and they would just have to deal with this uncharted territory together.

She’s the one to break their embrace, taking a step backwards and managing a small smile when he meets with her eyes,  “I reserve the right to be angry about this later.”

As quickly as the grin was there it’s gone again with the next exhale of breath.  “I need to gather the ones that are still here and address them.  Heartfire has already gone to Icicle Isle and shown me images of another trying to claim the land, but I think it might be best to keep that area open and accessible as a safe land for our kingdom if they desire to go there.  I plan to stay here however, and try to find a way to keep Nerine as safe as possible for those that don’t wish to leave.”   Pausing briefly, her dark brown gaze drifts towards the newly risen island before looking back to him, “Do you have interest in going there to make sure things are going well?”

@[Leilan]

Leilan
    Wrong.

Something's wrong.

Maybe not something, maybe just everything; the timing, the fact that she had told him she'd rather not have a baby this year because she needed to be available to her people (a reason that was a little too selfless for his taste, but, okay, it's not like babies were all that mattered in the world - so long as they didn't exist yet anyway), the plague, the reshaping of the land, the tension that came with the open lands and the fact that only one kingdom was allowed in every region of the world.

But shouldn't it count for something that they'd tackle it together?

Or maybe - maybe she didn't want to. Would rather run away. Hide, from the fears and everything - no - not everything. Just him. Just like before. Just like when everything wrong had started in the first place.

He can't handle that another time.

Not again.

He watches her lack of response - lack of easing into his caresses, tension still in every fibre of her being - and she pulls away, and her smile doesn't reach her eyes, for she looks sad, if she seems to care about anything at all.

"Wrong." He says, frowning, then follows up. "Be angry now." But it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, and she continues with what she thinks is more important. Land. Leadership. People.

People. Other horses. Residents, subjects, whatever one can call it - she seems to forget about the one she's growing, the one that is too early, but should never ever be told that they should not be. But when she talks about safe places, and people that might want to go there, she excludes herself. Again. As usual.

A sigh escapes him, following her gaze to the island. "I'll go. But Breckin... daina, please, don't do this again. I don't think I can handle it."

As he canters away to make sure the island is safe - safe for her, safe for the child, whatever she may think - he just hopes she understands what it means to him.

you set my soul alight
    HTML by Vanilla Custard

@[Breckin]
    um I sorta made it more sad but here is an ending, ta-taa
    |