• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  Gave away the things you loved, and one of them was me; any
    Maiko

Biting’s excellent. It’s like kissing, only there’s a winner.

Life was all a big joke so far.

A girl had never gotten adopted, and with her body, her scowl had grown. She’d left the fairies’ den without any family, thinking that perhaps he father didn’t know that she existed, or had died, and maybe even though her mother hadn’t wanted her, there might be someone out there who could tell her why she was green, or take her in and love her.

She’d never left Beqanna, and grown old and bitter with the knowledge of not being wanted.

Last year she had tried. At least travel and see the kingdoms. But the leader of the volcano kingdom had intercepted her, and scolded her, and she’d returned with just another line on her forehead. Forever doomed to roam the commonlands.

Then Carnage had appeared. For once, she liked the idea of being wanted, even if it was just his seasonal lust and her loneliness that had brought him to her. She’d not wanted a baby, and even after the bay colt had been born she could never quite bond with him; he’d run away for good this time, but he was mostly weaned, and she found that she did not mind. Did not care.

Perhaps one day she’d meet someone and know it to be family, grandkids, or whatever. Perhaps he had died on his trip, and she was without a family once more. Who knew.

It’s the season again, and she snaps at whomever approaches. Stallions could find other mares. Mares were mostly either as prickly as she, or already pregnant, heavy with the smell of men about them.

She doesn’t know what she wants any more, or what she needs. But the least they can do is leave her alone to eat.

I wanna give you wild love, the kind that never slows down
    I wanna take you high up let our hearts be the only sound

His hours in the fields have grown longer over the past few weeks, the often empty land beginning to teem with life and possibility. It makes his days longer, the sun beginning to set as he makes his way back to Tephra each night. He doesn’t mind it though—would never mind the hours spent helping seeking souls looking for a home or purpose or a second chance. It’s a responsibility he doesn’t take lightly.

This chance to guide others home.

While he always hopes that it will be to Tephra, he knows better than to think that Tephra is right for everyone. It’s why he takes his time getting to know the souls he encounters here, why he tries to be so honest in how he describes his home. It does him no good to lie or deceive. If they were not a good fit then they wouldn’t be happy and would leave soon eventually, regardless of their choice to come initially.

Of course, if he knew of her initial interaction with his home, he may have hesitated to go up to her. He may have brushed it off as a bad fit from the start, but he doesn’t know such things and thus he does what he always does: he walks up to greet her. His handsome face is open and warm, and he makes sure to stop several feet away to give her a respectful berth. It was always important to him to give others their space but never more so than during this season when so many have such reason to grow increasingly tense.

Still, he gives her a crooked smile, lacerated lips curving upward and dips his head in greeting.

“Hello there. My name is Magnus.”

He is quiet for a second, gold-flecked eyes studying her quietly, before he follows it up with a question:

“What brings you to the field today?”

Perhaps an obvious question, but he has yet to hear the same answer twice and thus he asks regardless.

I wanna go where the lights burn low and you're only mine

[Image: gqYjsHr.png]
    Maiko

There was a stallion. She could smell him, and had looked around with her head still low to the ground, catching his buckskin hide in her peripheral vision, and judged him. He was one of those that would have a few foals next spring because he had a charming face no doubt. Or just because he had a more unique colouring. Or slightly more brawl. Whatever. She wasn’t interested, herself.

The green mare grazed as if she hadn’t noticed his approach. But she did notice his movement. A polite dip of his head, and perhaps the hint of a smile. But she didn’t feel like answering yet, instead taking her time to swallow. Magnus, she muses. Befits him, in a way. At least he carries the name with an air of confidence. Well not like she cared anyway.

Until there is a question. Her blue eyes remain glued to the grass; only her ears turn in his direction, but she manages enough politeness to respond. ”Well, what brings you to the field, Magnus?” She lifts her head after that, finally looking to him at eye level. Surely, he knows that she is here because she has no home. The question is, is he here to recruit or to find a mare for the night? Or neither? Be recruited himself?

@[magnus] idk if I should tag you or not so here you are anyway

He is not deterred by her lack of response to him, the way she continues to eat and only swivel an ear in his direction. He has been to the field enough times now to know that the souls you meet here are in a million different places in their lives. Some come here because they’re ready to find a purpose in their life. Some come here because they need a place safe to rest their head. Some come because they aren’t sure what they want to do next but they know they need a push in one direction or the other.

So he is not offended by her initial ignoring of him.

Instead he rests casually, settling into a more comfortable position with one back leg cocked. When she does address him, he smiles a little wider, looking toward the horizon and then back to her, holding her gaze. “Sometimes I think just habit,” he says honestly, never having spent too much time unpacking the workaholic mindset that brought him here day in and day out, the routine he’s perfected and clung to over the years. “Although I’ve truly grown to love it over the years.” Another genuine answer, voice deep.

He tilts his head toward her, considering for a moment. “I consider it a pretty important responsibility to meet others here—you never know what they want, what they need. Getting a chance to help them find that? It’s pretty special.” He shrugs, unembarrassed by the vulnerable response.

@[Maiko] tagging or not tagging - either works for me! <3
    Maiko

He has an answer ready, although it’s very much a goody-two-shoes one, and it slightly disgusts her. Not the fact that he is recruiting at all. But the way he goes on about it. So, she snorts, and lifts her head to get a good look at him as well as raise her chin high enough to defy him properly.

”Nothin’ too special in that. There’ll always be some lonely horse wanderin’ ‘bout, if ye’re int’rested.”
    She shrugs. ”But if’t makes yer life less mis’rable go ahead.”

She’s silent for a while, studying him. He seems unphased by her rough exterior up until this point, more impressive than most other recruiters she’s seen around the place. ”Yer home ain’t filled with ‘nough ladies yet, then? Not to their liking perhaps?” she questions him, almost glaring at him. Her way of asking what his home is like, she supposes.

But it ultimately would depend on if he can live up to her needs and expectations, if she came to like him or would turn him down, whatever he had to offer. She had nothing much to do, so anything would probably suffice.

@[magnus] omg she so rood

Magnus has no idea of the chaos that is to come.

He has no idea of the way that the world will fracture once more, spewing forth the plague from the worst corners of itself. How the world will shift and tilt on its axis, spinning it around until it can right—how, in the aftermath, Tephra will be one of the few places still capable of serving as a haven for those who need it. He knows none of it. Just that it’s another day and he’s doing what he loves to do.

She is prickly and her response surprises a laugh out of him, the sound husky and genuine. “It does make my miserable life a little less so,” he quips, rolling his scarred shoulders. “Plus meeting souls like you keeps me humble, so that’s just a nice bonus.” His lip curves upward in one corner, gold-flecked eyes good humored as he watches her lightly. He’s never been particularly off-put by her harsh words, although there was perhaps a time in his life where it would have been enough to rile him.

Now he’s met enough wounded souls to know this was mostly just a defensive maneuver.

So he doesn’t pry, but neither does he throw up his hands.

He just remains as he is: steady.

At her next question, he chuckles a little. “We have plenty of fine ladies in Tephra, along with plenty of gentlemen.” He tilts his head, “Although we don’t have anyone quite like you.” Some carried her traits, her rough tongue and brash mannerism, but she was something else entirely, and he found himself intrigued in spite of himself. “But I don’t come to the field just to peddle my home. I’m happy to tell you more about it or tell you about any of the lands around here.” A shrug and a  grin. “I’d even be willing to take you to wherever you prefer, so long as you don’t bite my head off before we get there.”

@[Maiko] lol i love her! so sassy.
    Maiko

He is surprised, by her answer. Most people are but, mostly in a more aggressive or offended way. This guy... is strange. Strange enough that she’ll allow him in her presence a little longer, then. The days are boring enough to accept this little break for what it is.

He says she keeps him humble, and she snorts. Not amused, but close enough. ”Humble, ey? Ye’re in sum p’sition of power then? Why, wouldn’t ‘ve guessed.” She says, tossing her head back in defiance. Of the idea more than of him, though.

As he talks of Tephra though, she almost leaves him behind without word. Had he said it earlier she definitely would, and perhaps she still might. But he’s different than Warrick had been so maybe it’s a little better now. ”Been there. Not a warm welcome for a ‘cano.” she pipes up the memory. ”Warrick still there?” Somewhat intrigued by this Magnus then. In a way. Persistent more than the average horse and she can at least visit - so long as she won’t have to see their king Warrick and his stupid border-minded ideas. ”Any others better? Don’t answer that.” she shakes her head. ”Wouldn’t be livin’ in the ashes if you thought so.” So why would he even try? Mention the others? Probably from being such an awesome diplomat.

Well, she didn’t need no sugarcoating.

@[magnus]

He finds he enjoys the rough edge of her tongue, the way it rattles in her mouth, biting even when not saying anything particularly harsh. He can appreciate someone who says it like they see it—someone who isn’t afraid to give you their raw, honest opinion—and he relaxes in her presence. “I would hardly say the you could call my position one of power,” he muses, thoughtful. “Responsibility, perhaps. Work, definitely.” He shrugs, rolling his shoulders. “Either way, I remain humbled.”

When she stiffens at the mention of his home, his eyes narrow slightly in thought.

He has never heard of anyone receiving anything but a warm welcome.

Has never dreamed that someone would be turned away at the border.

He wipes the confusion from his features, shaking his head slightly. “I’m sorry to hear that,” his words are genuine, the disappointment clear in his gold-flecked eyes. “I would hate to know that you had a bad first impression of our home.” When she asks about Warrick, he is quiet for a second before responding. “Not currently. He became sick and had to leave to be with his family.” He doesn’t mention the internal politics or the challenge that had stripped his crown—although he wouldn’t shy from it if she asked.

She rolls his shoulders again, getting ready to answer her question before he closes them again, silenced before given the chance. Still, he can hardly hold his tongue and so he offers his opinion regardless. “I would say the others are definitely better than your impression of Warrick,” he pauses, thinking. “Although I’ve always known him to be an upstanding stallion, I can’t speak to your interaction with him.” He glances in the direction of Tephra, to the uptick in activity, the new souls that called her home.

“Regardless, there are souls of all kinds within her borders. Some kinder than others.”

His gold-flecked eyes spark with a little mischievous humor.

@[Maiko]