• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Sleep baby sleep, what are you waiting for?
    I can feel the anxiety slowly leaving my body as the our breathes flow in and out of each other. The pain in my wing is getting worse the longer I sit here, and I can't quite bring myself to look at it. I almost wish it had just been torn clean off. It seems so much more cruel that the reminder of my defilement is to be carried around with me, useless as wet tissue paper. A well of sorrow licks at my heels, threatening to drag me back down inside myself. Maybe I should ask Cas to finish the job. 

It's lucky that he chose this moment to unfurl slightly. The scene revealed is a breathtaking one. We're high, very high, and the sea spreads before us in an endless blue-grey sheet. It's dotted with a few rocks close by us and then stretches out until the horizon bleeds into the sky. It's a balm almost as good as flight, to have this view and be encircled in the safety of my dragon's embrace. Too soon he folds himself back to enclose our little shelter, eyes glinting gold and silver in the dim. Echoes of our sons eyes, when they stand together.

My outburst has left me tired. Still, I feel my anger rise again at his amusement. I might be a bit busted up right now, but I'll be dammed if I don't at least make an attempt at tearing the bastard's balls out through his throat. Ears laying back against my skull, I start to say as much when his words sink in. My ire dies back as quickly as it had kindled, leaving me somewhat deflated.

"Already... dead?" Emotions war within me as the news processed. "I appreciate what I'm sure was swift vengeance. But dammit, Cas. You couldn't have left some for me?" I didn't realize until after the words leave me just how idiotic I must sound. I had been dead, after all. I suppose I should be happy that he had seen fit to protect my body, instead of leaving it to be gnawed on by opportunistic wildlife.

The world feels heavy again. The throbbing of my wing is rolling through my entire body, tossing my stomach like a stormy sea. A gust of air puffs against my lips, and I let my head drop to the ground again. I've almost forgotten to smile properly, but at his gentle touch I can't help the sweet curve my lips bow into. "I wasn't sure I had anything to come back to. Thank you for.... for proving me wrong."

Sleep had seemed an impossible idea minutes before, but now it seems to be drawing me close. Vague fear argues against it. What if I sleep, and it's months again before my eyes open? Months or years or never again? A hard swallow pushes down my throat, until my eyes catch his once more. The steady glow eases the stuttering of my heart. It would be alright. "I'm gonna sleep for a bit. You'll be here when I wake up." A question, a prayer and an affirmation all tied into two sentences.

@[Castile]