• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

like sunlight burning at midnight; any
    there was a heaven in you
    but god, there’s a devil in me
    The trip to Hyaline would be hard, even with his grand-daughter’s beautiful and powerful ability; but it is what he had expected and what he would gladly endure to be sure that he would see his daughters, son, and grandchildren before anything might happen.

“Might? You’re an old man and a fool.”

Warrick’s teeth grind back the bitter voice, though his physical expression is easily mistaken for the pain that resounds in his chest with every inhale and exhale. Warlight’s voice interrupts the inner dialogue, his bright eyes turning towards the antlered girl with a soft and gentle expression as he feels the warmth of her muzzle against the curve of his auburn cheek. ‘We can go as soon as you are ready.’ He offers her a smile, warm and admirable, before giving her a gentle nod. Warrick’s eyes turn back towards Tephra, towards his friends, towards what he is leaving behind, and in a few moments, feels himself being whisked away into a dream world.

Besides his granddaughter they seamlessly travel in another realm - things buzz by him at a speed where he cannot place the names of them, but lights and colors dazzle him as they move through a different time and place. In a breath he finds himself once again standing on solid ground, the scent of clear wind rushing around them in what seems to be a welcoming embrace. The once-king exhales in a shuddering sigh, blinking back the shock of dream traveling as well as seeing the familiar expanse of Hyaline opening up before him. Memories rush back at the sight of the lake in the distance, as well as the many cherry blossoms and blooming wisteria that has sprouted in spring’s sun and warmth, and the willows that weep across the water’s edge and sway gently in the breeze.

There is no smoke or ash that clouds the air, no humidity to clog his already weakened lungs. He inhales deeply, thinking quietly to himself that perhaps Hyaline would not be a terrible place to die.

His brow furrows momentarily at the thought, wondering how it had come to pass in his mind and feeling as though the words themselves weren’t his own. But they were.

Tossing his head, the winged stallion shuffles the great cobalt of his folded wings gently, turning to look at Warlight with a soft yet weary expression. “You have a wonderful gift,” he muses, pressing his forehead to her cheek, “thank you, Warlight.”

WARRICK
    Kagerus
    { and in my dreams I've kissed your lips a thousand times }

It's a hard night for the family.

Though the triplets are off on their own these days, leaving the family grotto refreshingly empty (though Solace and I definitely fill up that space on our own when we wish to), tonight is different. Warlight left for Tephra and we all are left speculating as to why; I find myself whispering to Solace, though I can't tell if it's to find comfort or to lend it. Warrick is her father, but our bond is strong, too; and so we wait together and flash uncomfortably between dreaming and wakefulness, both of us keeping track of the two dream travelers in anxious anticipation.

When we can no longer sense their presence in the dreamscape, I touch my shoulder to hers and gently close my eyes, leaving the sleeping princes behind in their beds; we open our eyes to the lowlands of Hyaline, and with but a moment's looking around, we spot our new arrivals just over the cusp of a hill.

"I love you Solace," I whisper before we approach, pain threatening to warble my voice as I look at her; I don't know how to warn her to expect the worst, but I do know how to show her my love. And so I do, if only through my heartbroken gaze; and then together, we approach.

I allow Solace to go to her father first. As she does, I approach my only daughter, my perfect replica in colour and traits; my mouth goes to her forehead absently, but then I run my mouth along her growing mane more attentively. "Thank you for doing this, Will," I murmur into her skin. "You're a good girl." I know she might rebuke me saying so, but it's true. I wouldn't change anything about her, not now, not ever.

Pulling away, I take my own turn to approach Warrick. "Father," I murmur anxiously, skittering to him as any scared daughter might; I try to keep my voice from warbling, but it's harder than I anticipate, and the weakness shows in my voice. "Please let me know if there's anything I can do. Hyaline and all her residents are at your disposal." My words are heartfelt, and in my moment of pure devotion, I forget the obscene scar which now mars my once perfect face; compared to his life-threatening illness, my aesthetics are less than nothing to worry for.

@[Warrick] @[Warlight] I powerplayed Solace, yell at me if you want this changed!
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver

Her lips are set in a thin line, pressed together in distaste as the bile burns the back of her throat. Side by side, the Caretakers of Hyaline walk towards them, and despite the warmth of the summer day Solaces skin is chilled to the touch. A flurry of goose-bumps stipple her skin as Warrick and Warlight come into view. Solace acknowledges her wife's encouragement with a little nod, drawing strength for her antlered queen but not trusting herself to speak. Her cerulean eyes stay forward, focused on her youngest daughter and father.

Only once they are close enough to speak with the travelers does the gold splashed woman leaves the warmth of her mate's side. They peel away to greet each loved one separately, and Solace finds that for the first time in her life she does not know what to say to her father. 

The weary expression on his face is the confirmation she had been dreading, and it smothers any words of greeting she may have spoken. He had always been travel worn - rugged yet wise - but this is something different. The scent of sickness pollutes the pure mountain air, and her heart breaks to see the steep slope of his withers and the sinking line of his once noble crest. 

Solace brings herself to him, tucking herself against him as she had during Tephra's storms half a decade ago. "Father," she says at last, "I've missed you so much." Unwanted thoughts flood her mind as she rests against is mahogany pelt (she is careful not to lean too much weight against him) and she closes her eyes against the emotions she will not acknowledged here.

She savors the contact a moment longer, lingering just long enough to hear the mummer of his heartbeat. Pulling away, she musters a weak smile for his and Will's benefit as Kagerus strides forward. Only then does Solace let her attention dip to her daughter momentarily, watching as the girl stands unwavering beside her namesake. 

Her blue eyes lift, drawn to Warrick once again once Kagerus and Warrick have greeted one another. "The children prepared a place for you," Solace says, and her smile grows a little more genuine, "It's near the lake, under a wisteria tree. If you're feeling up to it, we can head that way."

S
    olace
        we're reeling through an endless fall
    we are the ever-living ghost of what once was

@[Warrick] I may write Warlight, but don't worry about her and the posting order. She is just observing and being good for once XD
    Solghostdoll2

there was a heaven in you
    but god, there’s a devil in me
    Their voices are hushed and nearly silent; their eyes skittering around to gaze at each other and then dreadfully back to him, pain and sorrow and dismay on their faces. His frown only deepens, creasing the cobalt of his mouth as his brow furrows, attempting to hide the pain and discomfort with what he hopes is a subtle clearing of his throat (but it is slick and grotesque sounding as the lining of his lungs tear away into nothingness). The sight of Solace brings a sharpness to the back of his eyes, pricking hotly with unwavering tears; his firstborn, his proudest moment - a shining light as she comes to his side, smoothing the tension with the solidity of her voice, curling into him like she is still the child he remembers. There is the warmth of a sigh on his lips (strained and wheezing, clouded with disease and ferment), his navy wings fluttering familiarly against the soft blue of her own. “I’ve missed you too,” he replies, his voice a near-lament in the way it is pulled from his throat, feeling his own mortality dabbling away at the closeness of his daughters and their children; reminded of all that has come before him and all there is yet to be, and how much he might not live to see.

His title rings out in the air once again, this time from a voice that he hasn’t known in his youth and that he recognizes as the unwavering sound of Kagerus. His cerulean eyes flicker to the bay overo, still content with the presence of his daughter at his side and now his other daughter (though not by blood, despite their many similarities) that approaches him. He smiles weakly, though it is mostly for the grandchildren that it crosses his face at all. For a moment he takes in Kagerus’ features with a solid silence, the weight of his look heavy as he adjusts to her newly scarred face.

Warrick stretches towards her face, pressing the bridge of his nose beneath her chin to lift her eyes, softness in the gesture. “You’ve already done more than required,” he tells her evenly, the reply heavily laced with ulterior meaning as he brings his head back towards himself, blue eyes flickering over the roughness of her scarred face. He holds her face with the stoic gentleness of his gaze, a single ear flickering towards Solace as she mentions the lake, the wisteria.

Nostalgia glitters in the once-king’s eyes.

“Yes,” he murmurs, almost absentmindedly as he feels the tiredness of age and Carnage’s cancer, “yes, that will do nicely.” He tries not lean onto them, but as he moves himself forward he can feel the weakness of his bones and muscles, trembling and uncertain.

WARRICK

@[Kagerus] @[Solace]
    I'm thinking Svedka is at the lake? IDK maybe he'll show up if he cooperates :|
    Kagerus
    { and in my dreams I've kissed your lips a thousand times }

Even as cancer lays claim to the cells and fibers that make up his worldly self, good Warrick extends his empathy to my own misfortunes, the weight of his gaze like a soothing balm upon the inflamed and grotesque wound that mars my features. I want to scold him for even thinking of anyone besides himself at a time like this; but I can barely breathe never mind speak as he reaches out to raise my head, murmuring that I've already done enough.

More than enough.
    A tear rolls down my cheek, and I hope that he does not see.

But Solace speaks now of the triplet's surprise for her father, and I take a step back from him, smiling to Warlight almost unseeingly as we begin the trek down to the lake. It's not far from here at all, but a part of me still wishes to take my father in law in my dreams and deliver him there without labour. But the dreams can be disorienting for those unused to it, and so I stay my hand, walking patiently on his one side as his daughter walks the other. It's a sad sight, but sorely needed; it's my hope, all of our hopes, that Warrick will retire here.

Retire. Retire, that's all.

As we round the bend of the trail that we're following, my eyes adjust to the extra light of the rising moon that comes from behind the peak of a mountain. The telltale tree stands tall and welcoming, with sweeping purple-blue boughs; and beneath these, two figures lie curled up in a bundle. Our sons, Rhaegor and Sviko, having tricked their mothers into thinking them asleep. My eyes scan that which they've prepared, noticing some final touches... But there's straw sticking from both of their lips and caught in their scruffy tails, and I glance to Warlight with a little stink eye. There's no doubt she knew about this. But in the end, I can't be angry.

Leaning down, I nuzzle Koko's head, then Rhae's. "Wake up, darlings. Grandpa is here."

@[Solace] I figured I'd let you describe the stuffs since it was your idea! Also @[Sviko] feel free to join in <3
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver
    He sleeps a dreamless sort of sleep. Or maybe not so dreamless but nothing comes from the dream-mistress that is one of his mothers or the sister that can travel via them. If he does dream - it must be something that comes from that mysterious often absent older half-brother of theirs. But it’s a dream that he’ll not be likely to remember beyond a jumble of monsters and nomads and lands a-plenty. 

(the kind of dream that tells him he’s more like his uncle than any of the triplets are, wayward in heart and nature but he just doesn’t fully know it yet)

Rhaegor and he had felt the absence of their mothers from the grotto and knew it was almost time to welcome grandpa home. So the two of them had hurried to the spot beneath the wisteria to add a few finishing touches to make it more homey for the grand old stallion. Naturally they’d worn themselves out in the process or grew bored of waiting and laid down together to nap. 

All too soon he feels mother nosing him awake with a to his head and bidding them to stir in a quiet voice. He raises his head sleepily, blinking the group into strained focus as he yawns and stretches before rising slowly to stand to the side. Shyly - quietly; he’s not sure which, he mumbles hello to them all and gives a pointed look at his sister who masterminded most of this. 

Daring darling Will, the hero of the day. Not that he minds as he steps to her and gives her a bump with his nose. “You made them happy,” he murmurs for her ears alone because it’s true. Despite the lingering traces of sadness and worry, he can see that their mothers are happy and relieved to have grandpa here.

ooc: still figuring him out but yay another koko post!