• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

two hearts on a cold street; any

In the dawn, the land below seemed quiet and still. Leander soared overhead, wings outstretched to catch the smallest currents. It was a habit of his to survey new places from above – he liked to see the big picture first before anything else. The splashed stallion found it made navigating foreign landscapes easier once he’d alighted. In any case, he preferred the clear air up here.

He had journeyed with the winds for years, covering immeasurable leagues in search of somewhere he had yet to find. Leander believed it was only a matter of time until he found what he was looking for. Despite the extent of his nomadic explorations, he was the son of Riagan and Rayelle and therefore could hardly be anything but steadfast in optimism and unfailing in promise.

His parents had always intended to return to their homeland – to Beqanna. Ever since he was born, they’d told him all about it. The Dale and the Falls, the Jungle and the Chamber. The meadows and the fields. Events – ascensions, descensions, wars and allegiances – that had become its history. But what they’d always spoken of most with Leander was his family.

The stories he’d heard were countless. Of course they told him of his elder twin sisters, Rhy and Kora, and explained why he’d been born outside of Beqanna at all. They spoke of his grandparents (Edmond and Neraza; Rhaego and Kagerou), and told him tales of his many aunts and uncles (Conner and Nylee; Alysanne the swimmer; sweet Kavi and Rodrik the lion). They taught him the names of a myriad of cousins – at least, the ones they’d known of prior to their leaving – and made mention of family friends and other acquaintances, too.

Yet by the time Leander grew old enough to make the journey back, age had also crept up on Rayelle and Riagan. Still, they were determined – and, following old memories of home, the three traveled together for some months. It was in the last few weeks that Leander came to realize just how little time his mother and father had left. And though it had been many years since their passing, it still caused a pang in Leander’s heart.

He sighed then, the sound lost in a billowing draft as he circled and tucked his wings for descent. There was a swiftness and an ease to him which was only apparent while airborne. Once afoot, Leander wasn’t much out of the ordinary. His eyes were a plain brown, inherited from his father – ‘kind eyes,’ Rayelle had been fond to call them. And when the palomino overo alighted in a clearing he’d chosen for the figures he’d seen milling about from the sky, he folded his wings and carried himself to the nearest stranger without pretense.

“Excuse me,” he said, “But could you tell me where we are? I’m not from around here.”

leander
    take a bullet to the heart just to keep you safe; like a dream in my arms but i’m wide awake
    Winter freeze had not been kind to little Xero, sinking into her bones and making her ache and shiver and pine for a world she only dreamed of, one where cold didn’t make her miserable and numb, one where baby fluff was enough to keep her cozy. One where there was someone to snuggle anytime her baby fluff wasn’t quite up to the task.

She dreamed of another life sometimes, one where the world was warm and lush and green. One where big, warm friends held her close and fussed over her and looked down at her with so, so much love in their eyes. Oh, she knew those eyes all the way down to her bones and deeper still, fierce golden eyes and soft, dreamy blue ones from the best of friends she could imagine.

But they were eyes she only ever saw in sleep. She woke to a world of ice and solitude broken occasionally by the company of new friends. Just when she resigned herself to a lifetime of cold, spring came. It was slow at first, just a whisper of warmth in the air, an easing of the chill that stole her breath and her energy, but then. Ohhh, then! The snow began to thaw, and green started peeking through! She still liked the world far better in her sleep, when its imagined warmth would wrap around her and chase away the chill. When she could curl up against a warm, fuzzy black side and wake up to a soft sandy-rocky roan and either way she was wrapped up in warmth and in love.

Still. Maybe this world wasn’t so bad too, even if it was lonelier and full of sneaky things that liked to trip her. So she woke up and reluctantly stretched and loosened sleep-stiff muscles and made herself go explore the meadow again. It wasn’t her very most favorite of places, but it was a good place to make new friends.

Sometimes they even wandered right up to you. Like the soft gold and white stranger with wings that looked so cozy warm to tuck up under and snuggle, and pretty brown eyes that smiled all the way down into his soul. Oh. Her own silvery-gold eyes went wide and a teensy gasp sneaked out of her as she looked up at him, as he talked to her (to her? She peeked around, but yep! Had to be to her!) and his voice flowed over her all smooth and warm and lovely.

Oh right, words, that meant she was supposed to say things back! “Oh! Um! Yes! Okay! So, um, welcome to Beqanna. This is the Meadow. I dunno why, ‘cause I mean, there’s lots of meadows, you know? But everybody seems to really like this one, so it’s the best one to come to if you wanna meet people. There’s lots of other good places to frolic and play by yourself, or to sneak away for snuggles or sleeping, but this is a really good spot to find somebody to say hi to. Like me! Hi! I’m Xero. Who’re you?”

Leander had to stifle a lopsided smile when the girl’s striking eyes widened and her young voice squeaked out. Used to conversing with strangers of all kinds, he took her surprise in stride easily. Yet he sobered upon hearing her mention Beqanna, for despite his trust that it would come, the moment still managed to catch him off guard. He glanced away to take in his surroundings once again, brow creased. From the air he hadn’t thought the lay of the land particularly matched his parents’ descriptions, but no matter now.

Quickly, Leander returned his attentions to the youth with the yellow streak in her hair. She really hadn’t seemed to skip a beat. Once the tumbling speech ebbed, however, he let his smile loose. “It’s a pleasure, Xero. My name’s Leander.” The winged stallion had always liked kids. He couldn’t see why he wouldn’t indulge her plucky nature, so he leaned in, the gesture slightly conspiratorial. “Some people call me Lee, though – you can too, if you want.” Then he sat back on a heel and looked about once more, allowing the reality of where he was to sink in.

He had found his parents’ home.
    The home that was always meant to be his, too.  

With a mixture of both practiced restraint and eager curiosity, he started. “You’ve been a big help, Xero, but I’m wondering whether you would know how I might find the places that are called the Falls or the Dale, or even the Jungle or Chamber?” Leander’s blonde forelock fell into brown eyes as he tipped his head, his expression a friendly one. “It’s possible that I have family in some of those places, and I’d like to see them for myself.”  

leander
    take a bullet to the heart just to keep you safe; like a dream in my arms but i’m wide awake
    Xero smiled, all bright and shiny even though new friend looked maybe a little troubled, with his brow furrowing just a tiny bit. “It’s nice to meet you, Lee! I like that, it’s cute and short like me!” Her smile got even bigger, and she wiggled a little to show off just how cute and short she was, in fact.

“Are we friends now?” Ohhh she hoped so, ‘cause she didn’t really have very many. Pretty lady with the blue on the edges, a kitty she hadn’t really gotten to play with, a cute boy with wings and no voice, but that was all! Well them and the dream snuggle friends, but she didn’t think those reallyyyy counted, since they were only there when she slept.

Ohhh, she was helpful? Oh yay! Xero’s eyes lit up, their silver-softened gold getting wiiide and catching the light. Oh, but...she frowned as he started to name places she’d never heard of, shaking her head in response to each--until he got to the Jungle.

“Jungle?” she asked softly, confused by the sharp yearning in her chest, the way her heart ached for something she’d never even heard of before. “I...I don’t think I know that place,” she murmured, but there was hesitation in her voice, her eyes going faraway misty and unfocused. “Is...there lots of green? And warm and cozy even when the rest of the world is so, so cold?”

She shivered, her body remembering the winter freeze, and her lower lip trembled. “I been looking for it too, but I can’t find it ‘cept when I’m sleeping. I dunno any of the others though, just the Meadow and the Forest so far. Maybe...maybe we could look together?”

Probably she shouldn’t have asked that, ‘cause together wasn’t something she really knew how to do. But she peeked up at him, her lips twisting to the side so the bottom one would behave and stop quaking. Just a peek, before she dropped her eyes to the ground and added with a tiny whisper. “Only if you wanna, though.”

“Friends,” he replied to the girl with an amiable nod, though Leander saw the confusion that scrawled across her expression when he mentioned the kingdoms he sought. As he’d never been to the Jungle himself, he couldn’t offer her any clarification beyond his parents’ imparted memories. “From what I’ve heard, it’s certainly a very warm place. There’s probably more green than you can even imagine.” He smiled to reassure her as she went on.

It did strike him as a little strange that somehow, she seemed to know of a place that sounded like the Jungle, even though she said she didn’t. He gathered that she had at least dreamed of somewhere similar – for no matter how far-fetched, even dreams had to draw from some aspects of reality. The obvious emotion that misted her bright eyes softened the brown of his own; however, he grew serious when she asked whether they might look for the Jungle together.

“I wouldn’t mind the company, Xero, but maybe we should ask your parents if that would be okay first?” Xero seemed quite young to be galivanting the lands all on her own, and Leander certainly didn’t want to cause anyone that sort of worry. He looked around the open expanse of meadow and inspected the figures milling about more closely. “Where are they?” he asked casually, assuming they were among those nearby.

leander
    Xero beamed up at Lee, warmth blooming in her chest as he called her his friend. Warm enough that it even chased away a little of the sadness that had settled in when she thought too long about things she didn’t really remember, only dreamed. “I dunno, I can imagine a whole lot of green,” she said softly. “But maybe you’re right.” Maybe he could show her. Or maybe she’d find it on her own someday, if...well, if he didn’t want her to tag along.

And she got a whole lot more nervous about that ominous little if when he brought up the subject of parents, said they should talk to hers before they set off on any fun adventures. “Oh,” she said softly, ducking her head and looking away. “I...um.” If she had to get somebody’s permission first, and she didn’t have a somebody to ask, would he not want her to go with? She fidgeted and squirmed a little, worried at her lip, gnawing on the inner corner just a little. The sensation was oddly soothing, but not exactly enough to allay her concern.  

Probably best to just tell him, right? She peeked up at him, worry darkening the soft brushed gold of her eyes. “I don’t got any of those. Parents, I mean. There was a fairy bug that I guess zapped me? And I got a couple of friends I made.” Or maybe some of them were just almost-friends, just could-be-someday friends, but she was choosing to be optimistic. Sure. “But no parents. I get a lot of cuddles from somebody in my dreams though. If you want, I can take a nap and ask if it’s okay if I go with you! But I’m pretty sure I can. I got nobody to tell me no, so that means yes, right?”

Leander’s brow furrowed as the girl fumbled through her response to his question. Was she an orphan? What did she mean when she said she could take a nap and ask if she could go searching with him? All of this certainly seemed to make sense to Xero, but it made much less sense to Lee. Still, he felt uncomfortable to know that she was alone. Aside from these few friends she mentioned, it sounded as though she always had been.

After quick consideration, he cleared his throat and leaned down to her level, meeting her gaze as he spoke. “In that case, you’d be very welcome to come with me.” There was something almost quizzical in his smile, for he remained a little confounded by this small yet vibrant soul. Ironically, neither of them knew that their mothers had grown up together in the Jungle, not only as best friends but as near-sisters; in fact, Leander would have recognized Quark’s name in a heartbeat, but given Xero’s current state they were both quite oblivious to the connection.

“How about this,” he began, “I’ll do some asking around to get my bearings straight, and then from there we can head out. Does that sound all right to you?” Leander wasn’t deterred by the prospect of having Xero along. Her company wouldn’t interfere with his search – and considering the strange elements she’d added to their conversation, the winged stallion was of a mind that perhaps something might jog the girl’s memory along the way.

leander