• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  here it comes with no warning; any

Here it comes with no warning; capsize, i'm first in the water
    The smell of sulphur and ash were beginning to fade away as the multi-colored peafowl mare made her way towards one of the few places she could lose herself within. Though the smell of sulphur and ash clung to her body—marking her a Tephra resident once again. Tephra was the place she would always belong to, it was her home and her heart would beat for that place.

Home is where the heart is—or at least the saying goes.

Her thoughts had become clouded as she settled back into Tephra. Lucrezia could feel her return here was on the brink of something else. A chill (not even the winter cold) ran down her spine whenever she thought of it. There was something coming, and ready to shake the very core of Beqanna again.

Would there always be something that tore them apart?

She cannot recall a time where there had ever been any serenity for more than a couple years. Perhaps she has always been surrounded by chaos and destruction. A never-ending cycle that continued to follow her wherever she went, though she was certainly never the cause of it. Perhaps she has always just been drawn to such things. There was excitement within danger, always, and she found adventure with such things.

Lucrezia pulls through the familiar edges of the forest, tearing through the mere branches that hold off the light from the darkest parts of the forest’s borderline. She instantly feels the mid-afternoon summer heat on her amber champagne stained body. Her nutmeg eyes search the horizon of the meadow, quickly scanning across the grassland she is evidently familiar with. The meadow is certainly not empty today despite the heat, but it is not a cloudless sky today.

The winged mare decides to move further into the meadow, making her way causally to the heart of the meadow. She felt a bit at peace each time she stepped further towards the center of the terrain. The meadow brought her a sense of peace knowing these were many of the few places that Beqanna has never changed. There would always be something here for her to take her mind off things. Whether it was something or someone, she would find something to settle her mind and maybe her worries.
    ...too close to the bottom.
    html © samshine| character info: here | picture reference: here
    Profile | Detailed Bio | Character Reference
    Kromium ~ Karat
    Blood is Thicker than Water

Under the dismal cloak the redwoods cast upon them in the Taiga, Kromium had grown restless.  His body ached to reflect the light of day again.  To feel it warm his metallic core, and so he wanders.  Wanders back across the flowing river that had nearly taken his youngest siblings life(well not really the youngest).  The cool waters bite in the heat of a summer day, but ultimately cooler than at its peak.  Fall was nearing and soon another winter would strike Taiga.  That was the one thing he had loved of Ischia and Tephra.  The cold fingers of mother nature couldn't quite grasp these island homes. 

Climbing up the bank and back onto land, he set a steady pace through the forest with a new destination in mind.  An open meadow he remembers crossing would offer him that glimpse of sun he so desperately sought.  Most days he would have asked his sisters to accompany him but not today.  He had needed time to reflect.  Time to think on what he, they, should do next without interruptions.  Emerald tinted limbs lifted and set in a rhythmic beat along a beaten trail that winded its way through and out the woodlands.  His eyes could make the faint glow of impending daylight at the end of the shadowed tunnel.

Nearing the forest's edge a faint scent on the breeze paused his movement abruptly.  It was as distinct as night and day, the sulfur of volcanic air wafted on the light breeze, twisting his ears to attention.  With a flare of his nostrils he begins moving again, towards the scent and into the open meadow.  The sun rays glistened along his iron body once again but he does not feel its warmth.  His mind is all but occupied on the familiar scent of his once home and finding its source.

His head lowers into the wind, picking his way through the fields of green.  Finding the scented trail leading towards an unfamiliar face.  He stops a few yards off to examine the one who wore the smell of Tephra.  He does not remember her and by looking at her one would remember meeting someone this unique.  His lips part to call out a friendly greeting.  He knew better than to sneak up on strangers and he was much too polite to not say hello...

"Wonderful day is it not, miss?"  He is quick to follow his message with a smile as he takes another step forward.  Ears erect and eyes bright, a mouse would seem more threatening than he.  Emerald tassels flick casually at his flanks as he looks to the mare.  Finding her wings envious and bright plumage eye catching, but he does not think more into it than beauty.  Settling into a stillness, he awaits her reply.

@[Lucrezia] thought meeting a Tephran would be fun for him Smile

Lucrezia feels the faint warmth of the summer wind fading as it blows into her direction, pushing through her multicolored autumn feathered mane. The crispy season of autumn coming is felt through the edges of coldness that the wind leaves. It makes the hair on her body stand on end, but it leaves a pleasant feeling within her heart knowing that autumn was just around the corner. She has always loved autumn.

The smell of metallic growing more distinct grabs her attention. Her nutmeg gaze moves away from scanning the horizon of the meadow from where she has come to rest. The sound of a friendly greeting reaches her eardrums. Her ear flickers in response to the call while her eyes search to find the stranger that calls out to her in greeting.

She finds the iron stallion within moments as he approaches her. His scent smells of salt and pine. The fresh and sharp scents bring a memory and home to her mind. Although it is not the home she knew it to be. In this world it was Taiga, not the Chamber. However, she has always thought of ancient redwoods as a reincarnation of the pine forest and misty mountain land.

“So far it has been a beautiful day,” she replies back as a warm smile grows up on her thin creamed lips. “You smell like you have come from Taiga,” she states next. Lucrezia wonders what has become of the lands that have replaced the old ones before the Reckoning. After being gone for so long and a diplomatic at heart, she cannot help but pursue to find out new information and the current events of Beqanna.

However, she has forgotten herself. The most important parts of starting any conversation always began with a greeting and introduction of names. “I’m Lucrezia by the way,” she says before falling silent, nutmeg eyes gleaming as they watch the iron stallion.

@[Neo]
    Kromium ~ Karat

As the gentle winds whip through his mane, he is overjoyed she returns a soft smile and gentle words.  He often was unaware of what reaction others would give him.  He was not normal after all but perhaps this equine knew what it was like to be unique...

His head dips as is customary for his greetings and allows the mare to finish all she has to say.  He is surprised that she knows of Taiga, when clearly she smells of Tephra.  He supposes that she has traveled far more than him and leaves it at that, "I have recently taken refuge there with my sisters." Emerald eyes do not stray from her as they converse, "It is a pleasure to meet you Lucrezia.  My name is Kromium, but you can call me Krom."  A smiles tugs at his emerald tinted lips before he asks what he is so curious of, "And you smell of Tephra... I once called there home too.  How does the island fair these days?"   His curiosity never overpowers his politeness.  He had many questions of Tephra and all that had transpired.  His father had yet to return for them and so he wonders if the worst had happened.  This mare though looks unfamiliar and so it is quite possible she knows nothing of his families ties to the volcanic islands...  

@[Lucrezia]

The conversation is rather familiar in the way it unfolds. However, it seems that she already has forgotten her diplomatic manners. The way he dips his head in a customary manner of greeting makes her almost blush, but she conceals her embarrassment. At one point Lucrezia would have been perfect in the way she went about with greeting others and being a welcoming guest. But as time moved on, she allowed herself to fall away from such things.

When it came to conversation, she flourished. Always. Lucrezia turns each of her ears forward, listening as the conversation continues. He talks about Taiga and finding refuge within the redwoods with his sisters. She wonders what could have possibly caused that.

“A pleasure to meet you as well, Krom,” she says warmly. The metallic grey and green stallion then mentions her home. Her present smile grows even wider as he knows it by name and even calling it home at one point. “Tephra is doing well, I think,” she replies back easily, though things had been quite different when she had arrived. Lucrezia had felt the tension within the land. There must have been something bad that happened there but she has yet to know the details of what happened.

Her curiosity could not have gotten to her more though. “What made you leave Tephra?” She asks the question despite how well they know each other. “I’ve just only recently returned to Tephra and I cannot help but wonder if something has occurred.” At least she will be honest about it.

@[Kromium]
    Kromium ~ Karat

It had been nearly a year since their father had told them they must leave Tephra.  That he would return for them when he had secured the land as theirs, his.  There isn't a day that goes by, that he does not wonder what has happened.  Why he has not returned for them. His father had said to not look for him if he did not come back and who was he to go against his father's wishes.  Though Krom fears the worst, he knows he must be strong for his sisters.  Which is what brings him here today.

Emerald tassels brush gently at his hocks, as his ears tip towards the mare.  When she seems perplexed at her own answer, his crown tilts slightly in concern.  Trying the best he can to not pry for what she could possibly mean.  How does one 'think' their home is well with such uncertainty?  He settles for a nod of acknowledgement and musters smile.  It was really none of his business anyhow.

Not yet.

Her next question catches him slightly off guard, but he does not falter.  If Krom was anything, it was honest.  So he replies without breaking eye contact, "My father has gone to challenge for Tephra... Or had.  We are unsure.  It has been nearly a year since we seen him last."  His admittance may be shocking to someone who had not previously known of the situation, but that doesn't stop the words from spilling from his lips.  He continues though, "That, as I know, was the last thing to happen there.  Before that, others were disappearing.  Members of Tephra, stolen from the beaches.  My sister included.  Though she came home alive... My mother was not so lucky." Even his voice does not quiver at the mentioning of his mother's untimely death.  He has accepted the things he cannot change, and that is why he must secure a home for what remains of his family...

@[Lucrezia] Info overload lol.  I'll stop here so I know how Lu reacts Smile

Lucrezia does not let her eye contact breakaway from him either. She listens to every word he says. Every honest word that he speaks. She can feel the truth within them.

While often she does like honesty, she cannot help herself from liking the words he first speaks. It feels like a dull blade being stabbed into her heart. The pain is unreal, something she cannot imagine going through again. It stabs at her again, once again within her life.

Was it the greed for power that this young boy’s father sought for? Was it protection for his own family that he wanted to secure?

She doesn’t know, truly. The only thing she can do is continue to listen. She listens as he speaks more of what has happened recently within the last year of Tephra. Others disappearing and being stolen from their own home.

Tephra was no longer a safe place it seemed. Now she understands why Warrick had appeared so full of sadness and heavy with burden when she had returned to the volcanic land. She knows what the weight of the crown can be. The uncertainty that is felt when you are not sure where to go when darkness only surrounds you.

“I’m sorry,” she all she can muster first. Lucrezia doesn’t know how to handle what she has hard. The fear of her home weighs heavily within her and she has only just returned. The very news is shocking to her. The very core of her hope was being shaken and tested.

Lucrezia turns her gaze away from him now. Her thoughts become clouded of the days she remembers her world changing several times. Each one of them pushing and challenging her ways she has never thought she would ever overcome. But each time she has fought the darkness and demons that try and overcome her. Each time she has become more resilient.

“I don’t know where your father is,” she says at least breaking the silence, “but I hope he is okay.” Her gaze then finally returns to meet the other horses own gaze. “It seems I have returned when times are dark, not just for Beqanna, but within my own home.” Lucrezia mules over her thoughts, not certain where to go with her words. She is always one to be perfect with what she says. Her words have always been her weapon, but now they are her weakness.

She bites her lower lip absent-mindedly, considering what to do and what to say next. It’s impossible for her to take a step forward in this situation. Was she speaking to someone who would harm her own home? Would he come seeking vengeance for the disappearance of his father? Lucrezia could already tell Krom was one who cared deep for her family. She valued that very much, but when it came down to her own family she would have to fight for her own too.

“What will you do?” she finally asks, her tone is blunt and straightforward.

@[Kromium]
    Kromium ~ Karat

She listens intently to all he says, her expression never swaying too harshly to one side or the other of the emotion spectrum.  He can tell though, that it is a lot of information and so when he finishes, he allows her to speak.  He is surprised her first reaction is sympathy of having no knowledge if his father is alive or dead.  Her eyes slip to their surrounding momentarily before returning to him.  With a bob of his head in thanks, he musters a weak smile.

He has seen much in his life as well, young as it may be.  Mutiny, takeovers, theft, murder.  If anything the trauma has made him stronger.  The heart within his metal chest beats steadily when she speaks of the darkness consuming the lands, specifically hers and he hears the weight in her voice.  Fear looks to be rising within her and he attempts to console the winged mare.  Reaching forwards his muzzle to her, his emerald eyes soft and empathetic.  He knew the pain that burdened her and it wasn't something he wished upon anyone.

What will you do?

The question was unexpected, and honestly, he hadn't found an answer.  Yet.  Often it caused him sleepless nights while watching his younger siblings rest under the starlit skies.  They had been waiting their fathers return but that hope seemed distant now.  He had to do something.  Something now.  With a sudden prick of his ears, he looks to her, "I can protect Tephra... I will keep it safe... Just as father wanted." He smiles more genuinely now, "I can keep you safe Lucrezia.  Everyone who wishes to call Tephra home, safe."   Emerald tinted face uplifts to draw in a deep breath, tasting sulfur on the slight breeze, his profile swivels to view the silhouette of the towering volcano some distance away.  He knew what he had to do... 

@[Lucrezia] So I imagine this leads into his challenge.  She can attempt to stop him or leave him go, up to you Smile

She has seen many things.

Things she wished to never see repeated again. But there are some things she simply could not be keep from happening.

Lucrezia knew the world could not forever be hold at bay from the evil that stirred in the darkness. She could not live forever fighting the darkness with the light, or protecting the home she loved and those she cared for deeply. All she ever could do was her best.

She accepts the fate of what will happen to her home and those she loves. The turning of tides would challenge them. Some would flee the land they have called home and sworn to protect. While others would stay and protect it.

For too long she has fallen into fleeing from the places she has called home and sworn her loyalty to. She fled the sandy dunes when the going got tough. She threw the crown into volcano when all had seemed lost.

But this time she will not flee.

The multi-colored mare accepts his sympathy for just a moment. She then pulls away from him, taking a step back. Her nutmeg gaze watches him carefully. All she wanted from him was his answer, and she would go from there. She would decide her own action based on his answer.

“You wish to take it then,” she says sternly. It was not a statement without doubt. Lucrezia could see that Krom wanted to protect his family just as she had wanted to protect her own. But she cannot help feel a sickly feeling within her. It makes her almost sick to vomit. Krom would challenge one of her longest friends, Warrick. Someone she remembers to be so bold the day they had first met. Lucrezia has seen the passion that he had to learn, but also the passion within him that would do whatever it took to protect Tephra. But something happened to him, something had taken the spark out of him.

Lucrezia swallows the nauseating feeling. Her eyes become more hard as she looks at the green and iron stallion. “Do what you must,” her words come harshly. She can feel her emotions running high, which has never been a good thing for her, but she cares little for formalities. “If the crown is to be won by you then I will see you in Tephra and that is when we will talk.”

She then turns swiftly, without a farewell. Lucrezia spreads her wings and takes off shortly, heading towards the silhouette volcano in the distance.

@[Kromium] I figured we could just end it there and continue in Tephra Tongue