• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  Counting Stars
      -->

Mindless wandering with her head stuffed full of bothersome circular reasoning - or rather, the lack of reasoning - had lead her to a field. The steel-hued mare tossed her head in the air, nostrils flaring, poised with left foreleg suspended in the air as she waited at the edge of the field, partially concealed by budding trees and lush undergrowth. Her ears swiveled back and forth listening to the familiar sounds of hooves thudding on new spring grass, contented nickes accompanied by audio indicative of the sampling of aforementioned tender grass. A rumble came from Thalassa's stomach. She was hungry. It was only a matter of time before the hunger overpowered the stoic feeling of uncertainty. 

One foot in front of the other, she thought. As she stepped out of the foliage and into the open space, sunlight glinted off of the white markings splattered and dappled onto her coat as though someone had thrown a paintbrush at her. Once the safety of being concealed was left behind, her anxiety was replaced with indifference, at least on the outside. Thalasssa was not unkind, only a bit untrusting; but once properly acquainted with someone, she opened up little by little. Her biggest downfall was her temper, unleashed on whomever was unfortunate enough to participate in betrayal. 

The silver-haired female dipped her slender neck towards the fertile soil to snag a mouthful of delectable grass being sure to keep one chocolate-colored eye on the border of trees for signs of danger, and the other on the surrounding equines in case of impending interaction. She then straightened, watching two foals having a romp in the seemingly endless playground. She let out a low nicker at them, before deciding to shake her oddly brown-tinged mane free of brambles. Viewing the vast stretch of grassland, Thal wondered what lay beyond, what her future might hold. Right now, she was waiting for something unknown even to her.

Thalassa

MIRROR MIRROR ON THE WALL, I ALWAYS GET UP AFTER I FALL

Solace

. . .

Sprig was about to become summer but still, a coolness clung to the clean air of Hyaline. There Solace's children were growing strong and willful along the lake shore, testing their strengths against each other daily. Solace rarely enjoyed leaving the pastel hued mountains - especially now, when fragrant blossoms were as common as the green-blue grasses. 

But The Sanctuary's Caretaker wakes early this morning, leaving the warmth of her mate and children to leap from a mountain summit with outstretched wings. The cool air catches her (as it always has) and with a powerful flap of her cerulean appendages, she begins her overdue journey to Tephra - her place of birth and the Kingdom of her father. 

She flys swiftly in the still morning air, journeying above the redwoods and Riverlands with barely a glance down. But as she reaches The Filed, the gold splashed mare flys lower - several souls she had met in this place had become good friends and the stories of the circumstances which had led them here had intrigued her.

The color of slate and ivory catches her eye as Solace soars above The Field. She watches the young mare as she looks around, wondering if she is waiting for someone. 

"Only one way to find out," the young queen murmurs into the wind before landing a ways off as not to hit the stranger with a wall of wind. In case the painted mare has not noticed her, Solace releases a low nicker in greeting before walking in her direction. The wight of pregnancy still cling to her pale, rounded hips and her head is high and her smile easy.

"Is there, someone I can help you find?" She asks casually, with sparkling blue eyes and no hint of ill-will in her demeanor. Her wings could allow her to see miles of grasslands at a time, and it wouldn't be the first time she had helped a stranger find a lost child or friend. But the wind changes slightly then, and Solace notices that the scent the mare carries is like none she is familiar with. Her brow rises in curiosity, and she wonders if this could be the source of the hint of uncertainty in the pretty girl's eyes. "Or are you new to Beqanna?"

-->

Thalassa loved spring and summer; especially the storms, but she didn't enjoy the bothersome flies. She whipped her tail at her side, effectively dislodging one of the winged vermin. Thal had relaxed some, since entering the field; her ears half-flopped, eyelids lowering a bit. She'd come a long way to get here, and the warmth of sunlight began to lull her to sleep. Something she could not afford in strange territory. 

What am I doing here? The steel-colored Arabian hadn't thought that far. It was likely there were herds here, or some sort of organized groups. It had been so long since Thal had formed a relationship with anyone, much less a group. She wasn't sure that was right for her. On the other hand, there was safety in numbers. Ugh, decisions, decisions.

Then a horse fell from the sky. Instantly, Thalassa's ear's perked forward towards the winged stranger. She snorted anxiously; she'd never actually seen a horse with wings. She had.. blue wings. Odd, but she's a pretty little thing. 

As the mare approached her, Thal flashed her trademark smile - well, a smirk, really. I wonder if she's pretty on the inside, too, she thought, narrowing her eyes slightly. The stranger's voice was friendly and clear. "Is there someone I can help you find?" The mare seemed to analyze her expression. "Or are you new to Beqanna?" 

"No, I am not looking for anyone in particular, at least not that I know of, yet." She pawed the earth with her dusty hooves absentmindedly. "I am new here, yes. Pleased to meet your acquaintance." Her cool, calculated gaze prodded into the stranger's eyes, trying to gather more information, betraying the real standoffishness that enveloped Thal like a clinging, often unwanted bubble. 

Thalassa

Solace

. . .

Searching and wary, the young mare's coffee eyes find Solace, and the pegasus halts. Solace was no stranger to the danger which could face a mare traveling alone - dangers which were only magnified by the magic which ran rampant in the blood of Beqanna's residents. The gold and cream mare is content to remain outside of the stranger's personal space as she responds to Solace's questions. 

"Solace..." she fills in neatly at the end of the other's sentence, "Caretaker of Hyaline." 

But she suspects that Caretaker nor Hyaline will mean much if anything to the iron painted mare and she continues without a pause. 

"Way in the distance there, those mountains,"  she looks west as she speaks, where the mountains of her kingdom are visible as a smudge on the horizon line. "We are a small but loyal band, and we offer our home as a sanctuary for any who may ever need it... as long as they do no harm." A pause settles over her as her crystalline gaze lingers on the faint outline of her home, where at this very moment her children, lover, brother, and friends exist without her. 

The pause is not so great as to become awkward, and the young queen returns her steady gaze to her new acquaintance.  "And what should I call you?" 

She nearly asks another question, but holds off, unwilling to run the risk of being seen as rude or prying. Instead she waits, relaxing into one hip as the feathers of her wings rustle in the breeze by her sides. 

-->

Thalassa watches as the pale colored mare halts a fair distance away, giving her ample space. Appreciative of the courtesy, Thal decides to bend her caution a bit, taking a couple hesitant steps forward. "Solace...Caretaker of Hyaline." Thal dips her head a bit in acknowledgement. "I am Thalassa... Wandering Newcomer." She blows air out of her nostrils in a sort of wry chuckle. 

Her mind returned to Solace's previous words. Caretaker, fine. Must mean she's a leader of some sort. But Hyaline? As if on cue, Solace offered an explanation. "Way in the distance there, those mountains..." Her espresso-hued eyes follow the pegasus' gaze to the rocky shadow on the horizon, recognizing them as mountains only after Solace had spoken, due to the distance. "We are a small but loyal band, and we offer our home as a sanctuary for any who may ever need it... as long as they do no harm." Thal's pink-rimmed lips open in a small smile. "Sounds like a noble calling." Despite her omnipresent sarcastic humor, she really did think it was a good idea. 

Solace's eyes lingered a bit longer before she turned back to Thal. "And what should I call you?"  Thalassa shifted her weight back and forth a few times. Standing still for long enough to have a conversation was not her strong suit. "Call me Thal." She paused for a moment before continuing. "So, what exactly does one do in Hyaline?" 

Thalassa

Solace

. . .

Solace dips her head slightly after Thalassa's name and title is given, letting her own coy smile pull at the corners of her pink lips. The girl may be new, she thinks to herself, but she is a quick study.

Solace is happy to see that her brief mention of Hyaline does not bore her - quite the opposite. Thal she seems interested enough, even asking a follow-up question. 

"Depends on who you ask," Solace replies simply, as she swats a fly with the ivory tassels of her tail before elaborating. "The residents of Hyaline value their freedom - for some that means they keep to the solitude of the summits for seasons at a time..." Keeper, the she-bear, comes to mind when she says this, and Smoak too, although a little more unexpectedly. "...  but others prefer to keep busy." 

Tahl's quick answers and inquisitive eyes suggest to Solace that she may fall into the latter group, should she desire that kind of life. But the girl's restlessness does not go unnoticed by the mother of five. "Shall we walk and talk? There is a stream just over that rise; I saw it when I flew in and I could use a drink." She suggests before continuing to answer Tahl's sensible question. 

"In Hyaline we have five council members and two casts below them. There are Diplomats, Peacekeeper, and residents who simply call our lakeshore home but do not wish to be involved in politics. 

Diplomats venture to the other kingdoms, representing Hyaline and her interests and keeping abreast of current events. The Peacekeepers duties are to protect Hyaline should the need arise, to represent her in challenges and mocks, and train anyone who is interested - but especially the children - to defend themselves."

Solace pauses then, waiting to see which part of this little speech Thal seems to be the most interested in. 

-->

The sight of her new acquantaince's smile embrazens her own, making it large enough to be just plain goofy. Thal quickly catches herself, her muzzle closing into her smirky norm. Her ears flick as she hears the screech of a nearby hawk circling the field, which one might call elegant...Someone that wasn't her. Her ears pin a little, before pointing forward. She focuses on the sound of trees rustling in the breeze, and Solace's voice. "Depends on who you ask. The residents of Hyaline value their freedom - for some that means they keep to the solitude of the summits for seasons at a time...but others prefer to keep busy." Solitude in the mountains? Fat chance of that. But I wonder, what kind of keeping busy? Thalassa bobs her slender neck in response to Solace's informatory speech, tangled in a web of contemplation. Would she be bored if she were to join a herd? But she didn't want to be alone... Of that she was certain. 

"Shall we walk and talk? There is a stream just over that rise, I saw it when I flew in and I could use a drink." She is grateful for a change of pace; she is wound up, excited and anxious all at once, about being here in a new place with a fresh start. Hopefully, one she wouldn't waste. "Absolutely. I'm sure you've noticed, I'm not good at keeping still. Not in a new place, with so much to see and so many people to meet." She had hopes for the future; friends to make and enemies to break. Thal shook her steeldust coat free of tickling flies and began walking towards the stream, listening as Solace continued. "In Hyaline we have five council members and two casts below them. There are diplomats, peacekeepers, and residents who simply call our lakeshore home but do not wish to be involved in politics. Diplomats venture to the other kingdoms, representing Hyaline and her interests and keeping abreast of current events. The Peacekeepers duties are to protect Hyaline should the need arise, to represent her in challenges and mocks, and train anyone who is interested - but especially the children - to defend themselves." 

Thal perked up at the mention of peacekeepers and diplomats, with equal interest in the two roles arising. Exploring other lands and keeping up with current events sounded like fun; after all, current events sometimes meant delectable drama as entertainment. But.. challenges and mock battles? It was new and exciting, and being in contact with adorable foals sounded like her cup of tea. Both options would soothe her restlessness, most likely. "So diplomats travel to other territories, but do peacekeepers have to stay within Hyaline? I admit, this does sound rather tempting, but I'm not one stay in one place for too long."

Thalassa

Solace

. . .

Together they follow the sound of the water, talking as they walk. The more Thal says, the more she reminds Solace of her twin brother, Svedka.  The Heart of Hyaline - as he was known - as a wanderer at heart, a curious soul who never met a stranger.  "There are many wanderers who call Hyaline home."

Because of her twin, Solace understood the yearnings of the adventurous types - even though she has never felt those same stirrings. She found meaning, and sanity, in her duty. Her never ending obligations to her family and kingdom anchored her. She would be lost without it.

But still, she understood that she is peculiar in this, and she had never held others to the standards she sets for herself. Luckily, before she can loose herself further in these musings Tahl is asking for more clarification, and Solace is happy to answer. 

"The Peacekeepers primary role is to Protect Hyaline and her inhabitants, but they are not asked to stay at all times. Many residents frequent the common lands regardless of rank- for enjoyment and duty. Peacekeepers may also be requested to accompany diplomats as a precaution - or even serve as scouts." 

Solace halts as her fetlocks kiss the water's surface. The babbling waters work away the grime which has accumulated around her heels and cools her bones. 

"I would love to show you,"  she adds as her inquisitive gaze returns to the steel colored mare. "No obligation of course, but we could certainly use your energy if you thought Hyaline was what you were looking for. "

-->

As they near the water, sounds of life increase. There is more birdsong near the water, and the air smells more crisp and sweet.Thalassa can hear the trickle of the stream as it glides over rock. Fluffy brown cattails and tall grass dance lazily in the breeze. 

Thal's ears swivel towards Solace as she explains that Peacekeepers did have freedom to wander. Hyaline sounded more and more like a good idea to Thalassa. But would she truly be responsible enough? Thalassa could be selfish, haughty, stubborn. Possibly not the best traits of a peacekeeper. But, Thalassa was fiercely loyal once she grew attached to something, and ambitious. If she truly wished to be a part of Hyaline, Thalassa would probably be best suited for a role of protector, rather than politician. 

"Hmm.. Thalassa the Peacekeeper. It has a nice ring to it, don't you think?" Thal's chocolate eyes sparkle. "I would love to see Hyaline." There would always be time to explore. Right now, she wanted to stop wandering. She wanted a place to belong, and she thought Hyaline might be it.

Thalassa