• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Good guys never get the girl; diplomatic visit

Ilma
    And there's a lesson waiting to be learned
    the firestarters always get the burns
    and the good guys never get the girl

News usually travelled fast, but for Ilma, it had been hard to keep up last year. It’s only after ‘surviving’ weaning her youngest child and hiding out the breeding season just to make sure, that she feels confident enough. Confident enough to make a trip to their southern border, and into a kingdom that recently held such very close ties to Sylva, that her queens had decided a cease-fire was all they could agree to.

And perhaps the new king in Loess wants just that, again - border safety, as much as Hyaline wants it. But Ilma feels there is more to Loess now, at least there is the possibility of more that just that, and so, she comes to check on her new neighbours. What are they like and more importantly what do they want?

Either way, it’s time to meet them, and so the white-and-light mare passes between the two kingdoms. She announces her presence with a politely outed, bright whinny, and takes small, slow steps so as not to give them the impression that she is trying to invade or spy on them.

and shooting stars cannot fix the world

@[Lepis] @[Wolfbane] either of you is fine with me (:
    Any fool knows men and women think differently at times, but the biggest difference is this: men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget.
    Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time
    Winter afternoons are most often spent near the hot springs, where the radiant heat of the earth and the water provide a relief from the winds that sweep down from the Hyaline mountains. Today, the wind is not all that comes from the north, and I raise a curious head to better locate the scent on the wind. I do not need to, it seems, as a summoning call reaches my navy ears a moment later.

It takes a moment to untangle my legs and heave myself to my feet. Soon the relief of lying down will be overshadowed by the difficulty of getting up again; my growing belly has already begun to make movement more difficult. Still, the gentle I place against my perlino side is affectionate and gentle, and the responding kick I feel brings a bright smile to my face. I've named him already, though I've not told a soul. Briar.

I do not linger overlong though, knowing that the caller is waiting. I pull my left wing tightly to my side, though the right drags through the shallow snow as I move. It had healed crookedly, and hangs awkwardly despite my best efforts to keep it close. At least my winter coat has grown out to hide the scars, I think as I make my way steadily north. My long blue and yellow hair covers the worst of them - teeth and hoof marks across my neck, withers, and sides, remnants of my time in Sylva.

Moving through a copse of trees, I spot movement ahead, though the pale mare blends well with the snowy hills. "Hello!" I call out, pitching my voice to carry across the rolling hills between us with a familiarity born of experience. This land tends to swallow sound, and so I wait to speak more until I am nearer.

"Welcome to Loess," I tell the fellow pegasus, a warm smile on my face. "I'm Lepis, the Cleric. How can I help you?"

Ilma

There’s not much that Ilma knows about Loess - when she joined Hyaline, it was already a silent kingdom, and both Solace and Kagerus had deemed their connection to Sylva too dangerous to mingle with them. So it is that she does not recognize the young mare who apprpaches her, nor the name she is given. The title however suggests a diplomatic caste or an advisor, rendering them equals.

The white mare waits for the perlino to join her, noticing from a distance her round belly and -ouch- broken, badly-healed wing. This is why she dares not to congratulate the mare with her pregnancy, fearing that something similar as Llowell’s conception might be the cause of both changes of appearance.

Her diplomatic face remains unchanged and polite as she recieves the other mare and introduces herself. ”And I am Ilma, Ambassador of Hyaline.” she announces - after all her title is the reason for her visit, as Lepis will surely understand now. ”I’d like for us to be good neighbours, if you’d agree. Arthas and Solace have agreed on a cease-fire before, but perhaps with your new leadership some things have changed regarding Sylva as well? In which case I’d be happy to work out further details to present to my queens.”

@[Lepis] assuming she meant to say “I’m Lepis” Wink
    Any fool knows men and women think differently at times, but the biggest difference is this: men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget.
    My mother had made an alliance with Hyaline, and while I had done nothing to solidify that arrangement during my reign, I have since learned that Arthas travelled there in my absence, and that the queens had chosen to enact a treaty instead. I do not blame them - Loess has never been a military power - but given my knowledge and what Ilma now says about Sylva, I cannot help but wonder how balanced the treaty might have been.

It doesn't matter now, I decide as a shift my weight to a more comfortable position. Now it is my turn to make the decisions, something that Wolfbane has entrusted me with.  I might have been nervous - surely most new clerics would - but this is something I have been trained for since birth: politicking and politeness. If anything, this is easier than the front I wear most days, when the post-traumatic memories are at their most overwhelming.

After Ilma's introduction, I offer an appropriately respectful nod. If Hyaline has sent their Ambassador, they must consider this a rather important venture. "A pleasure to meet you," I reply, and then wait as she speaks of the reason behind her visit.

The answer I have to give her is an easy one.

"Wolfbane dissolved all of our former ties when he took the crown." I tell her. "Loess is now a kingdom-for-hire. We're currently contracted," - I do not elaborate but there is nothing suspicious in my tone, "But Wolbane is always willing to entertain offers for the future." It is a novel concept, I know, but it has grown on me since the gold and blue king had first proposed it. Rather than being bound by the traditional allies and enemies, Loess can choose with whom to align themselves for as short or long a time as possible. I trust Wolfbane to choose wisely - he is the king, after all - and our current benefactors seem to find the situation agreeable as well.

ooc: oh yep. duh. fixed that! :P

Ilma

Lepis is quick to answer her question regarding Sylva, and although her face doesn’t change much with the dip of her head that she gives to acknowledge the new situation, Ilma is glad that Wolfbane has chosen a different path for his kingdom. With an unchanging friendly demeanor she lets her conversation partner finish, then takes on a bit of a doubting look. ”What you’re saying implies that every other year, we should either be on guard for our southern border or not at all, depending on what kingdom - an enemy or ally of ours - you are currently aligned with, due to contract. You’ll see that this is hard for us who try to remain neutral in all of this, and I’m not sure Solace or Kagerus will be happy to hear about it.” she explains her doubtful look.

Her ears swivel and her tail moves while she thinks it over again and again. ”What could we offer you, to secure our common border forever?” she then asks the perlino and blue mare. Not only for this situation, but she would also like to have a general idea on what they should offer Loess as payment. It’s a new idea and, as often with new ideas, the details might still need to be worked out. ”I’d rather not be invaded via that route even if you were under contract with an enemy of ours. Could we work something out, that in such a case, you would only come through common lands? Or would you be so kind as to inform us every time you switch contracts?” It’s just an idea but, it would mean not constantly having to keep tab on the other kingdom herself. Having to be on guard all the time would not only be inconvenient for Hyaline, and their status as a welcoming but neutral kingdom, but would also give Loessians the impression that they were distrusted because of the way the kingdom worked, which was something Ilma would really rather avoid if possible. Perhaps Lepis could understand there were reasons for them to work out a little something regardless of Loess’ contracts, being neighbors and all.

Good neighbors were preferable over allies far away, always. Even Nerinians would need time to come to Hyaline’s ‘rescue’ if need be, seeing that they would he on the other side of the kingdom. Eagerly, the white-and-sunlight mare looks at her Loessian counterpart. Hoping they could work something out that befits both kingdoms.

@[Lepis]
    The doubt in Ilma’s eyes is plain to see, but I have no intention of walking back my words. I know that Wolfbane has put our kingdom into a novel position and that it will come with its own particular challenges, but I do not feel they are insurmountable. Having been allied with Sylva, I had thought it would be clear that the denizens of Loess are not unaccustomed to being considered untrustworthy. Wether our northern neighbors feared us or not is not of special concern, especially not to a neutral party.

“Forever is an awfully long time,” I reply, the pleasant smile never leaving my blue mouth. “I assume any proposed payment would be continuing for that same length of time? As for letting Hyaline know when we negotiate new contracts, that too would come with a price at each renewal. After all, a single reward for endless information isn’t an especially balanced arrangement.”

It feels strange - but not unpleasant, only unfamiliar - to finally use the skills my mother had honed in me. I’d learned to play this game as a queen, but the rein that the golden king has given me is only a loose restriction.

“Fortunately, it is not I who has to break this news to Solace and Kagerus.” I add shrugging my shoulders in a gesture that I hope portrays my understanding for Ilma’s potentially difficult position. I am sure that she would not have been appointed Advisor if she was anything less than capable, but that does not mean I envy her future conversation with her monarchs. ”I’m certain we could work out continuing services for continuing payment,” I finish. ”Perhaps you could speak with your queens to find out what they’d be willing to offer for southern security and information, and return with their proposal?”

@[Ilma]
    sorry for the long delay!

Ilma

Lepis shows a controlled face - one Ilma could admire had she not been utterly disappointed by her answer, which was basically no answer to her question at all. While she talks, however, the white mare sinply nods. ”I assumed the same thing. As for the contract changes, would you not want to know how Hyaline standa with your new allies? Presuming you would like to know if your direct neighbour might feel a need for retribution?” she offers smoothly; sure, information for information; a basic name for basic knowledge as it were, might be an arrangement she could agree on.

She smiles only when Lepis says she does not have to break the presumably negative news to her own monarchs; a look that says not to worry. Ilma’s relationship with her queens is clearly different from Lepis’; older, and securely based in longstanding mutual friendship, where Lepis and Wolfbane are like children to Ilma. Both only a year older than her own daughter. Of course, Lepis might have had diplomatic training young in her life; that means she was about as experienced and skilled in this as Ilma. But the white mare doesn’t fall for Lepis’ supposed or true compassion. She does not know the younger mare well enough for that. Still, she offers nothing but thanks anyway.

”I will talk to Solace or Kagerus soon. I hope to meet you again - would you please discuss my concerns and question with Wolfbane? There must be something that you want, otherwise I have no true idea of what you’d value for a trade. It would be a shame if we came up with something you already have.” A way of emphasizing her disappointment in the not-answer without saying so, but she is sure Lepis will catch that.

With a polite, smiling dip of her head she turns. The sun is now high enough to use her wings, and so, she flies home before the sun begins to lower.

@[Lepis] Figured I finish this asap Wink