• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

hold me in this wild, wild world; open/any
    hold me in this wild, wild world
    'cause in your warmth I forget how cold it can be
    It’s his favorite time; night has fallen on Ischia and the tide washes the shore with luminescent sea life, while the stars shine irrepressibly overhead. He is merely a shadow across the sand as he gazes out on the beach and the moon-lit ocean beyond, letting himself be mesmerized by the way the full moon reflects on the top of every wave - like hundreds of moons, surrounded by millions of stars.

It’s winter on the mainland, not that you would ever know that from here. On Ischia, the weather is still balmy and warm, with only the very slightest hint of a chill in the deepest parts of the night. He knows that Galilee is safely asleep with Khaeli at her side, and the boys sprawled around them like little satellites. They are rapidly approaching a year of age, and they are beginning to think they are so big, but yet they always seem to return to the grotto for the night, even if they retreat to the edges and pretend to be so far away.

He isn’t worried about Khaeli, Dario, or Grye. They’re easy kids, aiming to please, and he’s only excited for them to be ready to do more and learn more. Drax sometimes sets his teeth on edge, but it’s never head-on: always something he catches the tail end of, or a glimpse out of the corner of his eye, and so on. It’s enough to worry him in the dead of night, but not enough when daylight hits and he’s once more convinced it’s just boys being boys. It’s the older children that worry him more - Bristol off to Nerine, Jesper off to spy in Sylva, Leilan to Loess. They are the ones who are enough to truly keep him pacing the beach at night, having slipped away and left his queen and the youngest of his brood sound asleep.

What will spring bring to Ischia?
    hold me in this wild, wild world
    and in your heat I feel how cold it can get
    BRENNEN