• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

the woods are lovely dark & deep [anyone]
    The yearning desire to further her journey beyond the lands of Nerine, Ischia, and Hyaline had her limbs aching and bellowing for rest.  Joints throbbing and sides heaving from physical exertion, the spotted vixen walked heavily towards the welcoming sight of a vein of water cutting through the densely forested landscape.  She was painfully aware that the scents had changed, and could only presume that she had finally crossed into another kingdom.  But her desire for water was enough to negate the consideration of consequences.  As she approached the source of nourishment, her senses scoured the terra for signs of immediate threats, but having noticed none she allows her lips to meet with the bitter cold of the waters.  Yet a sip of the refreshment is not enough for her as she continues to walk into the source until the surface rests below her vulnerable underside.

For a moment, the knabstrup mare is held captive by her rippling reflection in the mirrored surface.  The brown optics that stare back at her have acquired some newfound brightness that had been absent the last time she had considered her own appearance.  Before, the pale woman would not have been surprised to see a shadow of girl staring back at her.  But things had changed and perhaps there would be much more life to be lived in her near future.

Breckin’s velvet maw meets the resting body of water as if to erase the former shadow of herself.   Today she may be much more vibrant than in recent past, but the ghost of her past self will forever haunt her.  At least until she can put her unearthed and misunderstood demons to rest once and for all. 

A soft snort finds its way to fruition and she considers withdrawing from the soothing waters to move along in search of a new acquaintance.  She knows she should, but cannot get herself to do so.  Not yet anyways.  Breckin knickers softly to herself quietly as heavy lids lull to a half-open nature.  Contented for the time being, she rests within the welcoming waters and loses herself in an easy silence.

OOC:  Recycled starter.  I was lacking inspiration but wanted to get another starter up somewhere.
    Visiting Brennen had been rather fruitful, and though Leilan wished to stay in Ischia, he also happily explored the lands that he had returned to. They were different after the events of the Reckoning, different than what he knew before leaving and finding himself in another realm entirely. His mother had given him a description, sure, so he knew that the forest on this side of the large river was a common land, as well as the more dark area that lay beyond was Taiga, and Taiga was not a safe place. Not a place for a good boy to go investigate.

As all who knew him, would understand it, he was not particularly fitting that 'good boy' attitude well. Sure, he means well to all he counts as family or family friends - just that he cannot help but want to cross the lines and see what lays beyond. And since Brennen has not called on him yet, he takes his waiting time to make day travels. Always returning to Ischia just in case, because as he understands it, this brotherhood kingdom of the bay man's is near.

The summer heat is thick, even in the forest, because the place is damp. The roaning stallion slows his quick trots, instead looking for a body of water, wondering if perhaps he should visit Taiga when the summer is more or less gone, when the air slowly cools into fall. But then he also remembers that if this new bachelor kingdom is uphand, he should be there to secure his place with his brothers.

Mesmerizing, his body finds a stream almost on autopilot. But when he arrives there, he is surprised and then laughs at himself silently. It is occupied! His heated body enters the stream as well, making soft splashes and ripples, his metallic streaks of gold glittering in the sun, exposed to he light now that he has emerged from under the trees. "Excuse me, but would you mind to share the water? It's awfully hot out here." he winks at the spotted mare - she's pretty, although perhaps in his mind any girl his age is pretty, and he hopes she catches his playful flirtatious meaning as well as the literal context. However she wished to take it, it was hot in the summer, but she was looking very good as well, after all.

Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |
    Breckin

The body of water is placid as Breckin’s body goes still within the shallow.  Eyelids close completely as the silence of the kingdom draws her closer to slumber; the temptation only emphasized by the gentle soothing strokes of the lazy liquid caressing her aching limbs.  How sweet the water was to seduce her so—into its healing, forgiving embrace.  

A soft rustle nearby provokes the girls ears to swivel in the general direction, though her eyes remain closed.  She is entirely too content and at ease to even bother being startled at the moment.  It has been too long since the girl had been so at peace with herself, so for now she refuses to fully let go of the moment of blissful zen that is slowly slipping away from her.

As quickly as the sound developed it is gone again, but the relief is only temporary as the sound of disturbed water takes its place.  The gentle touch of the waters amongst her grow to be more aggressive in their embrace and there is no room for any doubt that she remains alone as the shift in winds carry the scent of a man against her flared nostrils.  And still she refuses to open her eyes in silly defiance as a small frown plays her features. Only when he speaks does she finally open a single brown eye out of dreaded curiosity; scanning the thief that has robbed her of her moment of peace.  

Excuse me, but would you mind to share the water? It's awfully hot out here.

Breckin meets his gaze incredulously—not sure how to respond to his question initially.  But then he gives her an obvious wink and her gaze enlightens with mild amusement.  Hopefully this fellow has a decent sense of humor.  Closing her eyes again, she turns her crown back away from the roan stallion, raising it ever so slightly it the most haughty way she could manage.

“Actually sir, but I do mind.  Don’t you know that such beauty demands the full attention of all the water in eye’s sight?”

A small smile twitches at the corner of her lips as she awaits his reaction.  Either he would find her equally as amusing as she found herself in the moment or he could simply leave.  Eagerly, she awaited his decision.

chase the sky into the ocean

@[Leilan]
    As he nears, he sees her frown a little; apparently, he is disturbing the mare, hopefully just a little, little enough that she does not tell him to go away. If Leilan is anything, he is trying to find the limits of everything - the line between annoyance and sheer anger, personal space, you name it.

For instance, he never enters a situation on a serious note, unless the air feels like someone has died. So he's not held back by this small a frown in any way.

His question at first seems to put the spotted mare off-guard; then her face lightens, or merely, her eyes do, as she catches that he's not that serious a fellow after all. Her reaction though, is not the tinkling female laugh he always hopes for when he approaches a mare like that; not even a shy smile. Instead she puts on a queenly air, as girls are wont to do when given half a chance; looking away as if to ignore his shiny butt (quite literally, with the metallic gold in his tail, you know). But then, she responds nonetheless; her tone revealing that she's not that serious at all, as well as he.

Oh, what a glorious day! Praise heavens (or the fairies). He's found a mind similar enough to his own, and she's a pretty one at that. He holds in his low chuckle; set on playing the game. She claims she must have the attention of all the water in sight, after all, but he knows she holds his by now, which is exactly what he tells her. "Then please excuse me for interrupting. Could I make it up by giving you all of mine to add?" After all, it's not too hard for him to keep his gaze fixed on the only other horse in sight; especially since he's never going to be done tracing and counting all the dots on her fair skin.

|
    Breckin

Darkness continues to flood her vision and the lingering silence almost starts to become painful while she waits for his choice.  The water around her begins to tame again so she can assume he still stands nearby, though she remains stubborn enough to refuse to look back at him.  When he finally does respond, the shadow of a smile grows into a lopsided smirk.

“If one would like to apologize properly, perhaps they should offer the other something they do not have already?”  Her voice is joking and light hearted, but suddenly falls somewhat at the undeniable feeling of being studied.  And finally as her deep brown eyes fully open, she turns to him, regarding him as equally as he is doing to her, fully exploring the bay roaning of his coat and gilded tresses.  As their eyes meet, the spotted girl notices a glint of something within his—nearly recognizable, like she’s seen something like it before.  Not unlike a spark of smoldering flame…

Long overdue, she realizes how rude she has been quite openly staring the fellow down and quickly clears her throat, “Yes well…”  And just like that Breckin is at a loss for words.  Unsure  of where to go or what to say next, she throws out the first thing that works its way into the foreground of her mind’s eye, “So what brings you to the forest, beautiful stranger?”

@[Leilan]

She makes an almost snippy remark if she weren't smiling - contradicting, as he has often found a girl could be. But it has always fascinated him, and today is no different - men were maybe a thousand times more straightforward (or just forward, in his case). "Perhaps," he says - no real answer, for if he were to answer that well, she was the one who started with the complaint that he blocked the water's view on her, so that that part of the water would have to be replaced with him - well that would almost be like explaining a joke, and that's to take all the fun out of it. His more not-yet-not-no answer would leave him mysterious, as if pondering her remark. He isn't, of course - he's far too busy studying her face, now that she's opened her eyes to study him in return.

He knows he's being watched and frankly, he likes that idea - gives him more time to study her as well. Her eyes seem searching for something, and then suddenly; she falters. She breaks, all of a sudden shy, reverting to small talk. But, on the plus side he's named beautiful, so he's not disappointed in this conversation at all.

He smiles at her, genuinely for it had taken some time for her to respond fully to him, to catch her attention more than just a stalling conversation. But that's the game; he's only won the first round so far and he knows that well enough. "A sense of... exploration." he muses. True in it's own sense - he just didn't like sitting and waiting in Ischia. He's not letting go of her eyes now, fully intending to make it known to her that he would honestly like to explore more of her, too.

@[Breckin]
    |
    Breckin

“Is that so?”

The man is smiling at her, and she fashions a small lopsided smirk of her own in response.  Though her composure has faltered, she’d be loathe of herself to let the ground she’s standing on completely slide out from underneath her in the unyielding gaze of this stranger.  And the fact that he was not explaining further on his own was beginning to irk her to the point where she wanted to drag more words out of his pretty mouth.  The leopard mare was simply not used to leading the majority of the conversational dance, and she found it both thrilling and irritating.

“Found anything of interest in your exploring?”

Standing within the water’s embrace was beginning to lose its appeal and she makes to move past him to the bank of the stream.  Her movements are dictated with purpose and she makes no attempt to keep from sending droplets of water splashing in his direction if he had chosen to remain near her.  Even if the water met its target or missed, the pale mare still laughs quietly to herself as she draws herself onto the muddy ground of the waters edge.

It is only after she shakes out the lingering moisture of her speckled coat that she turns round back to the handsome intruder.  The smile upon her dark lips growing a little larger while her crown tilts casually to side with all too familiar curiosity.

“So where exactly did your journey of exploration embark from, bright eyes?”

@[Leilan]

The mare does not seem to know how to continue for a moment, only a slightly snarky "is that so?" is released from her lips. Yet with every heartbeat he can hold her there with a fixed gaze, he's happy. So he gives a small nod at that question, which seems to provoke her to ask more - perhaps she just likes to talk more than just a bit, and he's not hesitant to answer the question. He just likes to get on her nerves a bit by stalling.

"A lot of hot air mostly. That was until I came upon a mare who did not want to share the river." he gives her, grinning now until all of a sudden she moves. She's not being very careful, but the splashing does not appear deliberate to him either. Some sizzle on his heated upper body when she passes, and while she climbs upon the shore, suddenly he just drops his self into the water, to make sure he's cooled down properly. When he gets up, she's just about done with shaking her coat, and he shakes his own wet black forelock out of his eyes when she asks more questions.

He moves towards the water's edge, though he does not leave the river. Close below her, hopefully enough of a boundary for her, but if not she's free to move away. Looking up, he searches her eyes. "The tropical islands, miss, where my brothers-to-be have found a home. Before that, the coastline, and before that, a place far away for Beqanna." Little do they know they have perhaps journeyed past eachother many more times, for Nerine and Ischia are the places they both had frequented. He shakes his head, because droplets threaten to enter his eyes, then looks at her again. "And what about you? Where are you from and where do you hail?" He knows then that he hasn't even asked for her name, or given her his own. But for mysteriosity's sake he figures he can ask her later.

@[Breckin]
    |
    Breckin

The gentle sloping arch of her neck declines enough so that she can remain at a better eye level with the stranger; even venturing so far as to take a couple more steps back to the water where the stranger remains.  The heat of the air makes quick work of the dampness that had remained upon her coat and for a brief second she wishes that perhaps she had stayed in the water a bit longer—maybe even going so far as to submerge herself the same way the stranger had just done.  Why hadn’t she thought of that?  Right, she had been completely distracted.

Her gaze is met by his again as a pale ear flips lazily sideways to catch his reply.  And she makes no attempt to hide the sudden surprise that sweeps across her expression, “Do you speak of Ischia?”  The thought had occurred to her that he may have been from the coastal area, because she had caught an unmistakable lingering of brine scent as she had passed him.  But that truthfully meant little in Beqanna as there were more than one kingdom that found its borders along the edge of the sea.  However there was only one tropical island in the realm that she was aware of.  Could that mean that he had been amongst the gathered there when Brennen took over the reign?

Do you know Brennen?”  Another question is thrown out of the pale maiden, though she hardly cares anymore.  It was just a fact that she was quickly learning to accept of herself—that curiosity drove her.

Breckin’s thoughts linger momentarily on his last statement of where he had lived, before she forces herself to return her downcast gaze back towards him.  The fellow was finally offering her more than a simple answer to her question and in turn had asked one of his own.  A soft, almost apologetic smile finds solace upon her lips, “I don’t know where I’m from.”  Not much of an answer, but it was the truth nonetheless.  Quite frankly, she was just so very proud of herself for not lapsing into a brief panic attack as she had done with Scorch.  Though if he was at a vantage point to get a good glimpse it would be evident to see a storm of conflicting thoughts warring within the depths of her brown eyes.

“Currently I have no home, though I am in the process of figuring that out.  Nerine seems to be the top contender however.  Have you ever been there?”

Normally she would have left her last question hanging out in the air while she settled in to patiently await a reply from him.  But she could not leave well enough alone.  There was an itch under her skin that she was trying her best to ignore, but she could not pretend it did not exist any longer.  The way he kept staring at her was incredibly distracting (was this how other people felt when she gawked at them?), and she found herself wanting to keep studying him too.  But there was an elephant in the forest and she was finally going to address it, "You're entirely aware of how irritating and handsome you are, aren't you?"

@[Leilan]

The mare hasn’t been out of the water long - and just like his own back, she’s heating up quickly enough once more. Although he thinks he may regret it, he moves out of the water, to stand next to her. Close enough to touch, unless she were to move away. ”I have this special magic you might want to make use of.” he offers. Admittedly, he does not dare to touch her while using the aura, afraid to cause a frostbite. But he builds the layer of ice-cold air around himself slowly and carefully, to make her aware what he does and what he means. Unfortunately, he cannot cool himself down very much with this aura - it hangs around him, meaning he can never touch it. But he can have it touch others, and that’s the point today.

She inquires about Ischia and he answers with a dip of his wet head. She asks her next question in rapid succession, so he has little time to comment. He grins when she mentions Brennen’s name, though. ”Ah, yes. He’s my mother’s best friend, besides my own father of course. When I told her I needed some kind of an adventure, she pointed me in Ischia’s direction.”

His own question has sparked something of a sad response, because she doesn’t know. Hmm. ”I guess Beqanna’s magic has a way of doing that.” Already his own memories of the Place Beyond were getting vague. But Nerine - well that is certainly promising. ”Ah! Yes, I told you about my beloved mother?” he grins. ”Although beloved may be a strong word for an outsider; she is quite ugly and not that lovely with her words either. Have you met her perhaps?” he wonders. Oh, but he hasn’t told her the name. ”Scorch?” he adds.

Suddenly, the white spotted mare blurts out words he finds entirely amusing, and his chuckle ends in an actual laugh. ”Why, those are the two reasons of my existence!” he exclaims. But he tones it down after that. Lowering his head a little to let his wet-but-drying forelock fall upon his head for cooling, he looks up at the mare. ”But thank you. I would return the compliment but I’m not sure you’re irritating enough for it.” he jerks happily at her. And yes, he is insinuating he thinks her entirely pretty and attractive. If she picks up on that, he’ll see. What she does with it, is always a question that intrigues him, so yes, he'd try with anyone.

@[Breckin]
    |