• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Book Suggestions?
    Was wondering if anyone had any good reads they could recommend?  I prefer series and fiction, but open to anything!   Heart
    The Hundred Cupboards series is great! Looks dorky from the covers, but they actually get kinda intense.
    Daughter of the Forest is a retelling of the celtic 7 swans myth, there is a series that follows that family through several generations. Its amazing.
    Looking Glass Wars is a retelling of Alice in Wonderland, also very good.

Edit to add: I second the Bartimaeus trliogy. And anything by Libba Bray, but especially Beauty Queens (adventure/satire) and The Diviners sereies (incomplete, 1920s occult murder mysteries). She is an amazing historical fiction writer, super involved in her research, and she is kinda my personal hero lol
    Thanks so much, Bru! The Daughter of the Forest sounds right up my alley! I will definitely be checking that one out.
    If you’re into the Song of Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones), then try Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. It’s better. Only about 14 huge-ass books Wink... and I guarantee it remains interesting. It also has several different points of view similar to Martin. Unfortunately the writer died while finishing his last books so someone else had to finish it usigg Jordan’s notes. But by the time you get there you’ll want to know how it ends anyway regardless of the small difference in writing style Wink.

More of the cynical/sarcastical fantasy is the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud (first book remains the best imho but the rest are good reads too).
    I have also started on Trudy Canavan’s latest trilogy, starting with Thief’s Magic. I’m not sure the third one is out yet but it is definitely a refreshing way of reading fantasy (how magic works there).
    Btw I’ve gotten my hands on some more Trudy Canavan series and they’re great so far also Smile. Oh and Maria Snyder’s Study series are also good. But they’re more YA really, don’t know if you’re into that; it’s slightly cheesy down the road Smile. If you want a bit of an adult kind of read then try for the WoT first.

Oh and Raymond Feist has an insane amount of books and so far I love them. He does trilogies mostly but every new trilogy can be read separately and covers a different time period/generation/set of heroes. You’ll need to have read the very first to understand the world though. Smile
    I second a Song of Ice and Ice! If you start that series you won't be hunting for a new book for quite a while

The Handmade's Tale was really interesting if you are ok with something a little darker

The Firebringer Trilogy is a great "young adult" series with beautiful writing. It's about unicorns and I looved it as a kid and then again when I re-read it as an adult
    Starsonder . Locheed . Oberyn
    Solace . Levi . Firen . Clegane . Warlight
    This is such a wonderful list! Seriously guys thank you so much!
    if you like magic and medieval with your fiction and are cool with the young adult genre, i love everything by tamora pierce. the tortall series especially, and i think there are five sets of quartets so plenty of reading if you end up liking them. her circle of magic series are good too, but i only ever had them from the library so i don't reread them the way i do the others.
    Ooh I forgot about Tamora Pierce! I feel like I've read one of her pieces before!
    Thanks so much for the suggestions!!
    A really good series is The Witcher. He's almost poetic in his writing style, leaves a lot to the imagination, and includes many philosophical conversations. It's a fantasy/medieval series based mostly on Slavic and Scandinavian folklore though they do include other mythological creatures from other places. It's one of my favorites (along with game of thrones)

I've heard that Red Wall is supposed to be really good but I've not gotten around to reading it yet.

Of course the Hunger Games, The Lunar Chronicles are AMAZING as well (even though they are young adult/teen fiction). I also like the books by Rick Riordan.

I mostly read the classics so I'm sorry I don't have more to offer.
    ~Valensia~Hestia~
    I second everything Tamora Pierce!!! I re-read mine all the time. Smile in the same fantasy vein but sometimes a little more mature, anything in the Valdemar world by Mercedes Lackey or pretty much everything Anne McCaffrey though those tend to be more science-fiction. There’s a series which might be find called “The Glasswright” series by Mindy Klasky which are excellent. For historical fiction plus dragons, check out the Temeraire series which is also A+.