• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  Brennen
    Home. The thought felt strange to him as his echoed through his head. Standing just upon the outskirts of Ischia, he’d paused to consider his life as it was. He’d been born and raised within the confined of the island. His parents had taught him the meaning of loyalty to their queen, Krone, and had taught him the importance of defending all that they’d towards. Brennen, his father, had worked tirelessly to ensure that his children would not be washed away by the ever-strengthening tide of life. In the depths of his earliest memories, he could easily recall the tireless days of constant training. His father’s determination to see his children become successful warriors never faltered, even despite Belgaer’s other varying interests.

He’d hoped his success during the Beqanna Olympics would bring pride to his parents. Even though he’d only managed second place, he felt proud of his accomplishment – even more proud to have gifted his winnings to his older sister. He knew his father would frown upon his son’s foolish generosity. Belgaer had an opportunity to further his advantage in battle and, yet, he’d given it thoughtlessly to his sister. A girl.

Mosrael was just as deserving, if not more so, of a gift from the gods. She would benefit greatly from their generosity, whereas such a token was lost to him.

Though talented in his own right as a warrior, his true interests lay elsewhere. He was drawn towards the people, towards diplomacy. The very thought seared through him like a betrayal. Brennen frowned upon such a position for men – especially his sons. Though he would never say it, Belgaer could sense his father’s disappointment.

A coastal wind drifted towards him from the shoreline not to far in the distance. He was glad winter was over. The coming new year held much promise for the young stud. He hoped to further his service as a diplomat, to bring great pride to their benevolent queen. More than anything, however, he wanted to prove to his father that he could bring honor to their father outside of the warrior’s guild. He’d leave the fighting to his other siblings – to Mosrael. There would be no more hiding for him. He would tell his father of his plans, even if it meant disappointing him.

@[Brennen] Aren't you glad you don't have to talk to yourself anymore? Wink
    hold me in this wild, wild world
    'cause in your warmth I forget how cold it can be
    In addition to looking for new Brothers, Brennen has resolved to gather some of his children back into the fold as well. Sons, in particular, because while he adores his many daughters, it will be harder for them if they want to be part of the Brotherhood, because they will have to work that much harder to prove themselves. Perhaps that isn’t fair, but it was the way it always was, in the Tundra, and the way it will continue to be, if they succeed. So, to gather the sons: and here is one now, standing looking out at the ocean. Brennen nickers to him, walking briskly to try and catch up.

Brennen and Galilee have mostly let their children go their own way as they reach adulthood, as Brennen does with most of his children. He supports them, adores them, teaches them, but he never wants to restrict them, even if it tears a piece of his heart away any time one of them leaves him. But many of them go on to great things, and he loves to watch that too. He has caught up to his red-and-white son now, and he had noticed the difference in Belgaer right away – he touches the boy’s newly-colored mane with a father’s affection, if a little consternation.

He knows that Belgaer thinks he doesn’t totally approve of him, of his actions, but that’s just Brennen’s inability to communicate effectively. You’d think when he’d raised as many children as he has, he’d get better, but he often gets it wrong. He’s come to realize many parents do, but if the love keeps coming, they can recover from anything. He had pushed Belgaer hard about training to fight, but for more than one reason; first, as Bel always thinks, because the boy is good at it, and what father wouldn’t want his son to succeed, especially if it is the skill the father is also known for? The other reason is because Brennen has had to fight, for his own life and to save others – he doesn’t want any of his children to be helpless. Ever.

“You did well,” he praises, having watched both of his children and his newly reclaimed grandson compete in the games the fae had staged. He doesn’t recriminate Bel for giving away the gift, because how could he after Jesper had found him? Perhaps if Bethanie had not given away her own gifts when she won them, Belgaer would not be his only fierce chestnut child. Perhaps she would not have died. He cannot offer any blame towards his son for giving his ungifted sister something to protect her. And to make her happy – he knows that Mosrael has always felt out of place, with all of her full-siblings gifted in ways she was not.

He isn’t sure what else to say, but senses that Bel has thoughts of his own, so he stands quietly beside his flame-colored son and waits, turning over his own thoughts. Perhaps it might be time to bring Belgaer into the loop about his father's plans as well.
    and in your heat I feel how cold it can get
    BRENNEN

Brennen loves him <3 <3 <3
    Belgaer

Belgaer’s thoughts continued to swirl within his head and, much like changing of the tide, he felt them rise and fall with his ever-changing emotions. Life had been kind to him so far, but he couldn’t help but trouble himself with the many lifetime’s looming ahead of him. He considered his siblings, most of whom hadn’t been given the gift of immortality. Theirs almost seemed a simpler existence, one that would begin and end just as it should. His father had already watched so many of his sons and daughters and lovers pass into the black void of death. Somehow, he’d remained and found a new will each morning to carry on. Brennen had made a life for himself within the fold of Ischia and had cemented the role that he filled. Every day, he encouraged his children to do the same. To find their place beside him.

But Belgaer wasn’t convinced that he belonged there.

Diplomacy had always been an area of greater interest to him. Even in the midst of his training in the fighting ring, he would always find his mind slipping towards the realms most recent diplomatic missions. Admittedly he was a talented warrior, but his heart wasn’t in it.

The sound of someone approaching drew his attention away from the sea and he glanced back to see hi father. Proudly, the bay aligned himself next to his son and gently touched Belgaer’s newly adorned hawk marking. He was proud of his son’s performance, but the young stallion couldn’t help but sense a distance within his father. Like many time before, he searched through recent events, trying to sort out what could be troubling the brave warrior beside him. A sudden pang of worry shot through him, when he considered his mother – heavy with child. Belgaer had been waiting on pins and needles for the arrival of his new little sibling and she was the main reason why he’d flown straight home. He couldn’t risk being away at such a dire time.

How is mother? He found himself asking.

Although his siblings could just as easily be the cause of his father’s distraction. Belgaer could only imagine the stresses that fatherhood brought with it. The chestnut stallion liked to imagine the day when he’d find a mare he loved just as much as his father loved Galilee. He wasn’t particularly sure, however, if he’d ever want to have as many children. But, he imagined, as he outlived some he’d naturally desire more.

His heart grew heavy as he looked at his father with new eyes. Immortality was a heavy burden to bare. One that Belgaer knew too fondly. Lifetime after lifetime his father had been forced to watch those he loved grow old and eventually die. One day, Belgaer would stand exactly where Brennen stood, having seen a multitude of changes span across the land and seen many of his friends and siblings die whilst he endured. And for what? What was it all for? The least Bel could do was make something of his life – something he could be proud of.

Father, He began hesitantly. I have something that I’ve been wanting to speak to you about…

The Prodigal Son

@[Brennen]
    There is a peace in standing beside one of his children, no matter how fast the world might be twirling and changing around them. And how could there not be peace, when he has such great children? Perhaps he has a parent's blindness to the faults of his offspring, but the truth is he rarely finds more than a passing fault in any of them. Oh, they have disagreements, but they are often minor, or ignorable. He supposes some of the children he doesn't know personally could have grown into monsters, but he's pretty pleased with the ones he knows about. This one brings up his mother, and Brennen grins, eyes flicking towards the path they both know would take them to the little cove Galilee has claimed for herself here in Ischia. "She is well. Restless, but that is understandable since she is due any time now." Brennen is as restless as she is, because he is well aware of her vulnerability in her current state while he is out and about making plans for what could gently be called mischief. He'd prefer his youngest child safely out of its mother's womb before he acts, but she is taking her sweet time with that. "She insists it will be a filly, and with wings." He's decided to believe her - surely mothers have intuition for these sorts of things.

His heart would be heavy if he knew Belgaer was spending time contemplating his immortality already at his tender age - Brennen hadn't had that fact shoved in his life until he was quite a few years older than his son, and it has been something that has haunted him in dark hours ever since. He'd rather his chestnut son spend his time thinking about girls, and contests, and games. But of course despite his ever stoic exterior, Brennen was a wild child who threw himself into life in the Tundra with abandon, and rarely contemplated the deeper areas of philosophy; and Belgaer is quite different from that young Brennen. Bel thinks - and overthinks - all the time. He is thinking now, the bay knows his son well enough to know that, but he is content to wait on the boy to spit it out. He's always been able to wait out his children and the children in his care, and he's not about to lose the contest now. With a few rare exceptions, they all share whatever is bothering them eventually.

When Belgaer finally breaks the silence again, in a faltering voice that doesn't sound at all like he's sure he wants to speak about it at all, the bay turns to look at him again, his full attention given over to the boy: temporarily he puts aside all thoughts of Galilee and the unborn foal, of the twin boys just dropped off on his shores who will be raised alongside her, of the heavy hurts he fears Belgaer's sisters are carrying in their hearts, and of his plans for Ischia. For at least a few moments, Belgaer has his undivided attention in a way that most wish to avoid, because the warrior stallion can be...intense, when he's completely focused on something. Still, when his son's voice trails off, Brennen's is gentle in its reply, and his eyes affectionate. "You can tell me anything," he offers in reassurance.
    BRENNEN

@[Belgaer]
    Belgaer

Belgaer had missed the constant comfort of Ischia. The warm tropical island had been the place of his birth and the only home he’d known. Although several other siblings of his had chosen to make their own way, he’d never had the desire to leave. Like his father, he suspected his loyalty would persist so long as Krone and her kin sat upon the throne. It would be hard for him to accept any leader beside.

Staring out at the endless expanse of sea before them, knowing that just beyond the horizon sat the mainland of Beqanna, he imagined all that was about to transpire. Though it pained him to be away, he knew that long days of travel were ahead of him as he chose to take on his role as a diplomat. Once again, his stomach rolled as he considered what his father might say when he learned of his son’s ambitions. The large bay had invested countless hours into his children, especially his sons, all with the hope that they would one day join the brotherhood and fight at his side. There’d been a time, however brief, that Belgaer had believed that path was one that he wanted for himself. But, as he’d grown in age and wisdom, he’d learned that his interests expanded beyond the brute force of the brotherhood. He only hoped that he could convince his father of the replacement he felt worthy of his forfeited place. 

He smiled as Brennen’s tale of Galilee distracted Bel away from the ever-looming topic at hand. It was a relief to hear that his mother was, although understandably anxious, ready to bring forth the newest member of their family. 

”You know, mother always had a way of knowing,” he reminded his father. He could sense the bay’s restlessness beside him and he imagined one day caring for a mare as he cared for Galilee. The love Brennen held for her was obvious. Gently, the chestnut nudged his father’s shoulder in an offering of comfort. ”She will be alright,” he assured knowing that, no matter how many times the mare would give birth Brennen would always worry. 

Once again silence found it place between them and there was no room left to dodge the inevitable. Belgaer shifted in his spot as he stilled the tumbling of his insides. ”Father, I’ve been speaking with the others,” he began hesitantly. ”And I’ve decided to pursue my interests in diplomacy. I’ve already presented myself to Krone to join the other diplomats.”

Then, there was nothing left to do but wait and wonder. Deep down, Belgaer knew that Brennen would always support him, but it was the hidden disappointment that the speckled chestnut dreaded.
    The Prodigal Son

@[Brennen]
    As much as his spotted son fidgets beside him, Brennen is perfectly still, disturbed only by the slight wind that disturbs his mane, tail, and the edges of his feathers. The rest of him is quiet unto disturbingly so (or so he has been told); but few of his children have mastered this stillness that he has almost always had. Cagney had seemed to have been born with it, but Belgaer not so much. So he is patient, and he waits, and when the chestnut finally spits the words out, he has plenty of time to consider all of his feelings and set some aside before any of them show on his face.

He is surprised, first, because he was expecting something he didn’t already know. And he did already know; he had taught his son to defend himself well, but he had seen Bel’s true path written in the stars. He simply didn’t have the drive to fight for any reason except the defense of himself or those he loved, if danger presented itself. And he long ago dealt with any inevitable disappointment that he still doesn’t have a son who wants to take his place as one of Beqanna’s great warriors. It was never disappointment in his son’s accomplishments or talents, just a fleeting sadness that none of his sons are warriors. There is good in this, though, because a Kingdom needs diplomats as much as it needs warriors, and it is a Kingdom that Brennen wants to build.

So when his stillness does break, it’s because he’s flashing his son a little smile, a knowing glint in his eyes. There are some things a father knows, after all. “I am sure you will excel at diplomacy, just as you would have excelled at being a warrior. I hope you will still keep your fighting skills sharp; just in case they are needed.” That would be what would cause Brennen to be disappointed – if Belgaer were to become lazy in his pursuit of diplomatic skills, and unable to defend himself and his family. But he does not believe that of his fire-colored son, who has ever been faithful to the exercises his father has set for him, even if his heart wasn’t in it.

“I, too, have something I have been meaning to speak to you about,” he offers then, and breaks his own stillness to shift purposefully, resettling his wings as he turns a little to face Bel head-on. “I am sure you have noticed that the Islands have become quite a bit more active of late, with more new faces arriving than the Kingdom has seen in a long time, perhaps in your entire life.” He pauses a moment, waits for a confirmation, before continuing. Bel had been born and raised on Ischia, and it has always been too quiet here. Even before Krone, when they all first arrived and allowed Circinae to take up the role of first Keeper, it had been quiet on the island too long. And the situation had not improved when Krone had taken up the mantle of Keeper – the Ischians still did not have a purpose, or an identity. “Bel, they aren’t here for Krone.”
    BRENNEN
    Belgaer

The air around them was warm and Belgaer felt himself slowly begin to calm. With his thoughts finally revealed, he could feel the weight of his ambition slowly rising off his shoulders. In some ways, he suspected that Brennen could have guessed the thoughts that had tormented the ever so slightly taller chestnut. Although different by means of their chosen paths, they were alike in terms of their dedication. Once they’d committed themselves to something, they threw their whole selves into it.

Stone still beside him, Brennen allowed for Bel’s confession to simmer. For a terrifying moment, the chestnut feared that he might not say anything. Since he was young, he’d always admired his father’s ability to remain absolutely calm in moments that may have otherwise been deemed stressful. He took everything in his stride and hardly blinked an eye. After what felt like an eternity, the bay finally broke the quiet between them. Brennen angled himself towards his son, a knowing smile upon the soft of his lips.  Effortlessly he presented his encouragement and Belgaer heaved a giant sigh of relief. As always, the studs greatest fear was to see any of his children grow lazy.

“I will make you proud, papa,” he promised as he puffed his chest with the force of his determination. “I will serve the kingdom and the family to the best of my abilities.” As a mark of his loyalty he touched the soft of his nose to his father’s shoulders. “Thank you.” There was so much more he wanted to say to Brennen but his words failed him.

Belgaer was certain that he would not have been the stallion he was had it not been for his father’s role in his life. He’d taught him to be brave and strong and loyal – everything he could possibly need to be successful in life. No matter his own ambition, Belgaer had witnessed Brennen selflessly set them aside for the betterment of his family. They always came first. No matter what. In time, however, Belgaer hoped that his father would see Mosrael worthy enough to take her place beside him. For a moment, the chestnut’s body tenses as he contemplates breeching the subject of his sister’s behalf. He knew her well and suspected that she was simply too stubborn or proud to admit to their father that what she wanted, above anything else in the world, was to join the brotherhood. To fight beside Brennen and to make him proud to call her his daughter – pride that reached beyond that of what every father felt in regards to their offspring.

Just as he is about to speak, the conversation shifts and Belgaer listens intently to his father’s admission of his own need to speak. As an offering of respect, Bel doesn’t speak, even as the stallion pauses to collect his thoughts.

“…they aren’t here for Krone.” Brennen concludes and Belgaer is speechless.  

If what he suspected his father was saying was true, that would mean war. That would mean loyalties would be tested and the course of history would be changed. All his life, Belgaer had been loyal to Krone. He thought he would serve her for a lifetime, at least, before another rose to power in her place. Kingdoms changed all the time, he was not ignorant of that and Taiga stood as a burnt example to that truth.

But would Ischia fall to that same fate? Drowned in the torrent of their ambition?

Brennen was his father – but Krone was his queen. He’d never felt so conflicted.

“Father,” he began cautiously. “I, - you know that I will support you no matter the course you take, but…are you sure this is wise?”

He was not afraid for Krone, Belgaer quickly realized as his words fell from his lips broken and disjointed. He was afraid for his family. For what would become of them should Brennen fail. 
    The Prodigal Son

@[Brennen] ...and this is why I shouldn't go near caffeine. Wordsplosion!
    He understands, how his loyal child could be conflicted when being forced to choose between his father and the woman he has known as Queen his entire life. In fact, Brennen is proud that his son would hesitate before betraying Krone, even though ultimately he also trusts him to make the decision to follow Brennen anyway, because it shows in his son an adultness and depth of understanding that will serve him well as a diplomat.

But Brennen also believes his reasons for overthrowing Krone are solid and good, and so he nods when Belgaer cautiously objects, and gives his son a small, sad smile. “I know this is hard, because Krone has always been your Queen. But Krone is bad for Ischia. The Kingdom does not thrive under her, though I have given her plenty of time to prove it might.” the years blur together, but he is quite positive this is not what Circinae envisioned for them when she left. “Even when recruits are tempted to visit, they never stay. It has been just our family and Krone’s for some time, and that is not what Ischia deserves.” Kylin, after all, hardly counts with as often as she is around.

“The island is teeming with life right now, Bel, and that is because the Brothers I have brought in, old and new, have purpose and a vision. They will be able to make us great again. And they won’t follow Krone, but they will follow me. And other Kingdoms will back me - Nerine has already pledged to ally with Ischia under my rule, and I believe Hyaline will follow.” Brennen searches his son’s face, and guesses at what might concern him the most. “This will not lead to a war unless Krone forces our hands. The takeover will be peaceful or end in my challenging her alone.”

“I do not take this on lightly,” he says to the fire-and-white Pegasus before him, “But I do not feel I can do anything else. I am loyal to Ischia before I am loyal to its Queen, and it’s Queen is failing. Likewise I am loyal to my family and to my Brothers, and we can be all for Ischia that Krone has not been. And I would be glad to have you by my side as well.”
    BRENNEN

Ooc; sorry this is shitty phone post but I wanted you to have it just in case you need to reference it before responding to all Ischia post!
    Belgaer
    The seas of change were boiling beyond the shore of Ischia. Looking around it was hard to find fault within the land of his birth. Many fond memories flooded his mind as he tried to see past his own bias in search of the truth hidden behind Brennen's words. Images of his siblings chasing him through the tropical forest and all the many other times they spent together filled him with warmth. Growing up he'd never been lonely. Surrounded by siblings, they'd built their own kingdom upon the, otherwise, vacant one they called home. Up until the moment that Brennen had brought the gravity of the situation forward was Belgaer forced to recognize the situation to it's fullest. 

He exhaled at allowed the silence around them to settle. His father was asking for the support of his children. Naturally he would, and Belgaer sensed that the stallion understood the difficulty his young son toiled with. 

To turn his back on Krone, almost felt as though he was turning his back on his childhood. 

He pushed the childish thought from his head, disgusted that he could think such a thing. Krone was only mortal. She was not some Goddess in disguise sent down to them to rule in her benevolence. It seemed only natural that she would make mistakes. Not everyone was fit to lead. 

The son turned to his father, "I will stand beside you and fight beside you, should things turn towards that direction," he stated confidently. "But As the dust settles I would wish to serve you as a diplomat."

He touched noses with the bay stallion, resolute in his proclamation. Brennen was not cruel. He would be a just and honorable leader. Belgaer frowned as he withdrew from his father. "What will become of the young prince and princess?"

Kromium and Karat were just that, young. They were unfit to rule and, though, Karat showed a certain proclivity to leadership, hers were the ambitions of a child. No one would rush to stand behind one with as little experience. Still, he did not wish suffering upon them. They deserved better than that and he imagined that this transition would be difficult for them. Especially for the princess.

The Prodigal Son

@[Brennen] , I wrote this at 6am. So...yeah...It's not that great...