• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  I'm A Dark Horse || {Solace}

Boldly he’d traveled throughout Beqanna. Finally, he’d found himself almost as far west as he could go. On his way to treat with the bitch queen herself he’d decided to pay his respects to another of the land’s great leaders. Solace. It’d become almost like a game to him to see how many of these self-enthroned rulers he could meet. Getting to know them would be almost of a great benefit to him. Of course, they all held the same anticipation that’d he’d stay to be ruled. He was confident that such a day would not come. He enjoyed his freedom too much.

Turning around a climbing bend he found himself upon a cliff. Above him, he could faintly smell other horses. Residents no doubt. He wasn’t interested in them. His was a diplomatic mission. Finishing his climb, he walked towards the flattened area that loomed high above the rest of the land. The wind had picked up at such a heightened altitude and he felt himself almost teeter against a particularly strong gust.

The spring air felt nice against his scruffy hide, though the scent of new life was enough to make him gag. Spring wasn’t his favorite season, he preferred Autumn. There was something oddly beautiful about the fading of the warm summer into autumn. Things too weak to withstand the sudden drop in temperature faced a natural, if not brutal, end ensuring that only the strong survived. Spring, however, brought nothing but weakness. Budding flowers were easily stomped, baby grass was sweet to taste and was quickly eaten, and squealing foals clung to their mothers. There was no stopping the progression of life and death. It was a lesson he’d learned at a very young age. Abandoned, he’d learned that he either had to learn how to swim or else sink beneath the ever-changing tide of life. Sympathy had not been wasted on him and, therefore, he would not waste his upon others.

Arithmetic
    I Don't Make Love

@[Solace]

Solace

Winter's chill has passed, along with the mud and rain of early spring. The snow has melted, weeping in rivulets down the mountainsides, awakening the sleeping earth. Life abounded, but little of it was new - the same ancient trees blossomed fresh, the same patches of land adorned their slopes with perennial blooms. 

Her land was resilient, it would be here long after they were gone.

With the days growing warmer, the young queen is often drawn to the sea along Hyaline's western coast. It was the border she loved the most, yet the one where she spent the least amount of time. Travelers rarely came from the sea, travelers always needed greeting.

She flys inland, yet the seawater is still clinging to her coat this morning. As she glides, the sunlight distills the ocean's leavings into a fine layer of salt across her already pale body - curling her made into crisp ringlets and leaving little flakes in her lashes. She would find time to rinse in the lake later, but now the sight of a stranger draws her focus.

He seems to be enjoying the vantage point he has found, and she almost feels bad for interrupting his thoughts - but many who came to Hyaline were looking for more than just a nice view and fresh air and she decides now is as good a time as any to introduce herself.

Despite the gusty day, Solace makes a graceful landing on the cliff several lengths away from the newcomer. "Hello," She calls over the wind, taking a few strides closer so she can speak without yelling. "You have reached Hyaline, the sanctuary. Is there someone I can help you find? Or are you just enjoying the view?"

caretaker of hyaline

Solghostdoll2

Before him the horizon remained unchanged. Crisp, snow capped mountains stood cut against the rich blue of the cloudless sky. The height of his perch granted him a vantage point worthy of the gods. Below him sparse foliage braved the rocky range and tilted leaned slightly at the push of the wind. Off in the distance a bird circled, keeping a watchful eye over her skyward kingdom. He envied the freedom of the sky’s never-ending expanse.

Often, as a foal, he imagined what it would be like to have been blessed with the gift of flight. He’d watched various mock aerial battles between the few stallions around him who’d been born with wings. Their agility and ease of travel had been impressive to him.

As he continued to watch the bird glide through the air, Arithmetic’s ears flicked forward, there was a scent on the air – the tell-tale perfume of another horse. Glancing around him he searched for the owner of such a scent. The space below him was void of any new movement and all around him the sound of his own breathing was the only other. Yet, the fragrance continued to grow stronger.

His eyes fixed themselves upon the flying figure once more and realization swept over him. Closer than before his mistake was painfully obvious. Carried by wings almost as blue as the sky, her petite frame flooded his vision. Almost above him, he felt her eyes fall upon him almost questioningly. Circling over him once more, she landed deftly upon a cliffside a mere walking distance away. Her eyes remained glued on him, almost as though she were trying to decide if he was a threat or not. He allowed an unassuming smile to spread across the scruff of his face.

Her greeting traveled over the wind and the formality of it set him to searching her face. The regal mare held herself with a regality that demanded notice and he found her presence almost stiff. Lowering his head, he took a tentative step towards her as he kept his eyes glued on her in order to gauge her reaction.

”Searching?” He repeated her question thoughtfully. ”I must admit that I am a stranger to this land, as well as her people. I am simply a pilgrim on a quest to marvel upon the majesty of Hyaline.”

He’d had no way of knowing that he’d stumbled onto some kind of sanctuary. Hyaline was one of the only lands that he’d never been tempted to visit – until now. If more of it’s residences looked like the mare standing before him, he would be inspired to visit more often.

Arithmetic
    I Don't Make Love

@[Solace]

Solace

Every season brought new faces, and Solace like to think the best of each of them. But rarely did the young queen fully give into this fancy, it was her duty to remain on her guard. 

Not that many would know it by her expression.Welcome, was one of her most frequently used words (if you bothered to count them up) and she could say it with grace and sincerity. Practice makes perfect after all. 

So as the grulla stallion lavishes compliments upon her beautiful kingdom, she thinks they are well deserved and the smile which parts her pale lips has true enjoyment in it. 

"Well, Pilgrim, you have accomplished your goal - but I hope that doesn't mean you're leaving quite yet, you have only seen so much." Her tone dances between friendly and teasing - but it would be a stretch to call it flirty. She keeps an air of formality around her, and space between them. His dark eyes have a cunning to them, and she has not yet decided if it is admirable or dangerous. 

"I'm Solace, the caretaker here. May I ask your name?" 

caretaker of hyaline

Solghostdoll2

The winged mare stood fast as she studied him with clear blue eyes. Apprehension was clearly upon her features, almost as if she was unsure of her position before him. As he angled himself closer to her she maintained the distance between them. She was cautious, he noted. The routine was familiar to her as she moved with a certain robotic stiffness and he wondered if she was even aware of movements.

Bathed in sunlight, the deep blue-grey of his coat lightened, revealing the warm chocolate of his gaze. He’d grown used to being perceived as a threat, it was a common practice among the kingdoms to be skeptical of the horses that wondered from corner to corner. His only sin was that of enjoying the company of the feminine variety. Still, he meant no harm to the blue winged mare before him.

He tilted his dark face and relaxed his posture in an attempt to convince her that he was no threat to her. Her interest was certain and as his compliments met her, he could see her appreciation for his smooth words. The mare took great pride in the kingdom she called home, as she should. Hyaline was a beautiful place – but her beauty far surpassed it. Although she appeared to enjoy the soft caress of his words, it still hadn’t been enough to break through her carefully distinguished façade.

When she spoke, however, it was his turn to smile in the delight of her words. Her tone, torn between friendliness and flirtatiousness met with him a small amount of surprise and his ears tilted towards her in excitement. Undertones of an official regard was not lost to him and, as she introduced herself, he began to form an understanding.

I am pleased to meet you, Solace, he lowered his head in respect. They call me Arithmetic and, given the current company, I would be greatly tempted to remain a little longer. I think there is no one better to show me the true beauty of this place than the queen herself.

Arithmetic
    I Don't Make Love

@[Solace] I may or may not have looked up potential babies these two could have...and I may or may not have been drooling.

Solace

His interest visibly increases and she does nothing to suppress her warm smile. "A tour, of course." But she turns before he can cozy up anymore, having little doubt that he will follow. 

"Lake or Ocean?" Solace asks as she begins to pick her way down the craggy slope, allowing enough space for his to walk alongside her if he chooses to. There is a pause while she waits for his response, and then she is onto another question. "So, where was it that you were living before you decided to come see us?" She asks with polite interest, the young queen was always interested in updates from the world beyond Hyaline.

As they speak she is heading towards a valley at the base of two stately mountains, a pass which will take them either to the peaceful lakeshore or the crashing waves of the beach. Each of her small, hard hooves is placed with trained precision between the rocks and plants which dot their path, allowing her to move with a fluidity that was only usually seen from the residents of the mountain kingdom.

She begins to trot as the slope grows steeper, choosing to keep her wings tight against her topline. When they reach the valley where the bases of the two mountains meet, she halts. The wind is intense between the walls of the pass, and the wind rips her tri-colored mane in a tangle around her face before she decides which path to follow. 

caretaker of hyaline

Solace clutches her pearls with a gasp "He called me robotic?!'
    @[Arithmetic] Tongue
    Solghostdoll2

The glowing mare’s smile never faded as she watched him from her place just beyond his reach. He could only imagine the thoughts that tumbled through her mind as she considered the tone of his voice as the manner with which he held himself. Her invisible criticisms was not completely hidden from him as her body effortlessly pivoted away from him as she spoke, offering him a tour. Although not exactly what he’d hoped for, he smiled as though the suggestion delighted him. Almost within the same breath she gave him two choices. Both bodies of water.

It was far to cold to enjoy the beach so he nodded towards the lake, I think the river would be lovely to visit this afternoon.

Solace smiled warmly at him as she led the way down the mountain, her pace assured and confident – though his was not. Admittedly, he was not a huge fan of heights. Steep paths and unsteady terrain made him nervous and he took his time as he followed behind her – his confidence never wavering. As they walked, the regal mare moved aside, clearing a spot beside her. Smiling coyly he quickened his pace just enough to match hers.

…Where was it that you were living…

Her question was one that he’d grown used to being asked. Most kingdom dwellers were concerned with one thing – recruitment. He could imagine that it was hard for them to comprehend that a horse could be content wandering aimlessly throughout a land as vast as Beqanna. It was daunting and most dared not even attempt it. He, on the other hand, treated it like a challenge. There was no circumstance he could imagine in which he would sacrifice the freedom he cherished so immensely.

No where, He answered almost too quickly. I’m a pilgrim and, therefore, could never truly be content in one place for too long.

…Unless, of course, it offered him something utterly irresistible.

Solace confidently continued on, her pace never faltering no matter how treacherous the path before them became. Despite her wings, she was a true mountain dweller and she knew the sky just as well as she knew land. She kept her blue wings tight against her side as her pace suddenly quickened into a trot. The idea seemed ludicrous to him as he peered down the, somehow, steeper cliffside. Hesitantly he moved to match her. It didn’t take long for them to find themselves sandwiched between two mountains, stretched high into the sky. His guide halted and, together, they stared up at the breathtakingly large masses before them. The wind grabbed at them, tossing their manes in the air and twisting it carelessly between them.

It’s beautiful, he said despite himself. Clearing his throat he turned his gaze to her, perhaps seeing her for the first time. She seemed too young and trusting to lead and he couldn’t help but wonder how long it would be before another rose up to challenge her. It happened all the time and she would not be the exception. For a moment, the thought saddened him. Quickly, he reminded himself of who he was.

He didn’t concern himself with the kingdoms and their ever changing politics.

Arithmetic
    I Don't Make Love