• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

lepis;
    With winter still blowing its frigid gusts against his back, Castile roams placidly across Loess. An inner warmth branches through him, heating his skin comfortably despite the freezing temperatures. Soon, he contemplates, spring will arise once more and melt the thin layer of snow that tracks his every step. Flowers will bloom across Beqanna and children will make their entrances into the world.

A beautiful season, really, but it hardly fazes Loess with its scraggly vegetation and ferns. It isn’t a tropical paradise here as perhaps Ischia (he has never before seen the island, but has heard about it and smelled the saltiness of its beaches), but it will at least be warmer.

A plume of black smoke coils from Castile’s nostrils rather unexpectedly. The heat of fire burns in the pit of his stomach, threatening to rise until he forces it back down with a heavy swallow. The ability still strikes him as odd and so very new. His throat has a rawness from the unfamiliarity of it, but it at least keeps him warm during the winter months when most others shiver from the cold.

Still moving forward, Castile casually searches for young Lepis, wanting to finally speak with her away from Heda and the watchful eyes of their herd. It would be embarrassing to never have a conversation with his friend’s daughter… a sort of niece, perhaps. It isn’t urgent which is evident in the nonchalance of his movement until their paths finally cross. ”Lepis,” his voice is husky, his breath clouding briefly, ”How are you? Hopefully not getting into too much trouble today?” A low chuckle slips from him as he reaches down to bump her poll playfully.

I have spent the morning splashing in the warm springs, and it shows in the slight crust of ice that clings to the lengthening strands of my mane and tail. I rather like the way it sparkles, even if its only temporary, and I’m tossing my head to catch a better look when I hear my name.

Startled - but not alarmed - I turn my head quickly to find the source. When I see that it is Uncle Castile, I grin.

”Oh hi!" I say, bounding forward across the few yards that separate us. I giggle when he insinuates that I might have been getting into trouble, and I press my forehead to his nose affectionately.

”Of course not!" I answer truthfully. There is little trouble to get into in the quiet kingdom anyway. I don’t mind, as there are plenty of things to do that don’t involve trouble. I’ll be two years old this winter and have never even come close to leaving my homeland. Mother has always said ’someday' but it occurs to me as I look up at my piebald guardian that I haven’t ever asked him.

Hmm.

”Hey Uncle Castile," I say, blinking up at him with curious dark eyes, ”Could we go exploring maybe?"
    Oftentimes, Castile wonders how the responsibility of Loess was thrusted onto his shoulders. He isn’t one that thrives in a spotlight or lives for the power of a monarch. Mother and Isobell were leaders; he, on the other hand, mirrored father. He has always been content in his seclusion where he practiced a nomadic lifestyle with no responsibilities except those to his family. Nothing held him down or trapped him until he acted on Ivar’s invitation to Loess.

He wanted to be the General, to fight. What he got, was a niece and the title of Regent.

When Castile peers down at Lepis, however, the prickling of uncertainty subsides.

Her smile melts away the frigidity of his opinions on the matter. The bubbly ignorance and joy that permeates the air when she is near is enough to quash the doubts he has always had since his ascension to the role. In a matter of days, Castile wanted to help raise her and to protect her; he wanted to play the role Ivar assumed him suitable for.

The tenderness he extends to Lepis is almost natural as he brushes her poll, teasing her forelock. He half-expected her to stir trouble, but she eases away his concern with bubbly laughter that transpires into something more along the lines of concentration. From underneath his locks, Castile’s brow quirks in anticipation. He listens to her closely and outwardly weighs the idea of a small adventure. ”Your mother told you no, didn’t she?” A coy grin twitches the corners of his mouth, amused by her tactics practices on him. Leaning forward, he sweeps his lip back and forth on her lithe neck considerately.

A silence settles between them except for the idle ruffle of his wings. It would seem as though the offer is being declined until he finally speaks, his voice low and deep for only Lepis to hear. ”Where will our adventure begin?”

The joy in the air is often more than figurative - Lepis tends to exude happiness wherever she goes. She'd inherited it from her mother, this odd gift, and she has been honing it since the moment she mastered walking.

(Which, admittedly, was probably at least a week. She's incredibly lucky that Loess lacks natural predators; the dun filly is a shining example that survival of the fittest is not a definite rule.)

When he asks if Mother had said no, Lepis gasp with mock affront.

"What?! No, of course not. I didn't ask her at all." The admission is heady, but it comes with a thrill of danger as well. She'd last left her mother with an admonition to act a bit more maturely and a reminder that Lepis would not have the excuse of 'childhood' much longer. I'm acting more maturely - she tells herself - I'm acting like a queen.

"I can go wherever I want." Lepis tells her guardian, shaking back the tendrils of ombre mane that fall across her golden face. He asks where their adventure will begin, and Lepis' bright joy turns to anticipation, a thrill of excitement and eagerness pressing invisibly into the air around her.