• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Out with the golden we sew // Kylin/Any!
    Out with the golden we sew, and the lower past that crawls.
    Now, to the doorway you run, to the girl that's not lost.
    She may not think her smile is beautiful, but I do. I see the beauty in a broken thing reforming, in the tears of a young woman seeping down to her trembling lips, and in the way her voice turns up with hope and wonder. Kylin may not think she is as beautiful as her mother, but to me, she is more beautiful that anything I have seen.

It's the mother in me - and remembering that makes me cringe. But her eyes are down-turned when I make the expression, and so my heartbreak goes unnoticed - for now. And it's good, because right now, Kylin is the one who needs attention. Not me.

I leave my nose resting on hers, feeling the way she presses into me. I don't mind the close proximity, especially since she needs it so desperately. Kavi had always been physical with my as I had been growing up, and I guess I never really grew out of that cuddly phase; but I am careful not to impose such touch on those who do not want it.

Her trembling voice reaches my ears then, and I smile, the movement pressed against her skin. Carefully, I pivot my hind legs until we are shoulder to shoulder and hip to hip, and then I carefully remove my nose from hers. Her poor lavender body is trembling, so I press myself to it more firmly, hoping to recenter the clearly off-kilter girl.

Hyaline will be good for her. We exist for people like her.

"Of course you can, Ky, I'll take you there now. Like I said, you can trust me!"

I lend her my biggest, most cheerful smile, hoping the boisterous expression will help her to be more confident as we make the relatively short journey to the mountains. I start at a slow pace, and when it is clear that the mare can easily keep up despite her petite frame (we are built to withstand quite a lot, after all), I pick up the pace some, but keep it easy. Just enough to get our blood flowing, and our senses more attuned to nature. It seems like this girl could use it.

There is snow drifting down to melt on our backs by the time we reach Hyaline. I glance worriedly to Ky's thin coat, but I remind myself that there are plenty of caves and forests to seek shelter in when she gets too cold. Plus, I'll be there to hold her, and to warm her, whenever she needs.

We pass over the scent line, and I toss her another lively smile, hoping the change of scenery and weather has sparked some life in the traumatized figure.

"This is it, Ky. Welcome back to Hyaline." I reach forward and nudge her nose, nutmeg eyes glimmering. "I hope it's as beautiful as you remember."
    Kagerus
    sweet nothing

@[Kylin]
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver
    kylin
    html code by Toli, design idea based on "Dovev" by Laura

There is my mind, there is my heart.
    It amazes her how well this mare is able to read her. Kagerus knows what Kylin wants and needs even before she knows it herself. She melts into the piebald’s side, her fin between their bodies, partially concealing her hips, but they are not long enough to cover the sharpness of her too pointy hip. Easy like that, Kagerus fills the void that has been left by those before her.

All Kagerus lacks is a pair of wings to drape across Kylin’s back, to tug her close and shelter her from the big bad world.

No. Kagerus is not Kharon. And that is for the good of it. Kylin remembers vividly how she had thought Klaudius was Kharon, and it hadn’t done her any good. Maybe she could use some change, like the one Kagerus is offering her right now.

She does not protest, but instead finds herself nodding. Kagerus says Hyaline would welcome her, and Kylin trusts her, even without her word for it. The corner of her lips curl every so slightly, and hope returns just like that. Hope she hasn’t had in a long while.

The trip from Ischia to Hyaline is not easy. She is leaving behind her home – god knows for how long – while she is not in a fit condition to travel. She’s weakened, emotional and broken. Not used to travel long distances, and neither to the cold. The further they leave Ischia behind them, the colder it becomes. And when the reach Hyaline, it’s even snowing. Kylin does not know if she should be delighted or terrified. The white little specks are cold upon her back, make her shiver and pull her fins tighter against her sides, but they do nothing to keep her warm.

Kagerus does, the right sight of her body doesn’t feel gold. The mare pressed against her side shields her from the wind, and their close bodies make sure to keep the heat between them. But Kagerus cannot be both on her left and right side, leaving the left unprotected and vulnerable to the cold. Something Kagerus soon makes her forget.

”It has been a while..” she mumbles softly, her dished head lifting as her hazel eyes glance around, taking in everything she sees. Her lips curl, and both her lavender ears perk forward. Hyaline hadn’t changed one bit, except for the winter that holds her in its grasp. ”She’s still beautiful” Kylin softly speaks, tilting her head a little to glance at Kagerus with a small smile. ”Though I prefer the lake not frozen.”

Kylin reaches out to press the velvet of her muzzle against the corner of Kagerus’ mouth, still smiling, but soon she finds herself glancing around again. She is eager to move towards the lake, frozen or not, because the water naturally calls to her. Father hadn’t picked Hyaline as a home for their family for nothing, though it had only lasted short. ”Can we go there?”

Although the reason I am able to read her well is most probably due to the fact that I can relate wholeheartedly to where she is coming from with all the pain and trauma, I sometimes fancy that it's some of my grandmother's empathy expressing itself in my genes. This is just wishful thinking, however, but it does make me feel like maybe I know what I'm doing - because I don't, really. I'm just trying to care for that which has been discarded by hands more foolish than my own.

Our journey ends up being slower than I imagined, with Kylin weak and cold by my side. I try my best to shelter her from the wind and to get her moving a little quicker whenever she regains her breath, knowing that the movement (though fatiguing) will at least keep her warm and alert. Despite the delay, we arrive in good time, and my spirits are still high and hopefully for the lavender girl. Her lips are curled in a smile as she answers my questions, and I swear I can see the fire in her eyes reigniting.

I'm about to suggest finding a warm cave to snuggle up in when she interjects an afterthought, asking instead to be brought to the lake she so wished to be liquid instead of solid. I catch my words and shake out my mane softly, buying myself time to reorganize my thoughts. When I straighten, I am sure to find the nose she had just placed on mine, blowing warm are across her face amiably.

"Of course! I'll take you there now. It's not much farther, and there's some caves in the mountainside that should suit us perfectly, if you'd like to rest a while." I know that this isn't really a stretch, because Kylin is clearly exhausted and in need of a rest, but it feels like a stretch to me. In my heart, I know that I have technically just stole an Ischian member... But when I see the way Ky's eyes bounce towards the lake eagerly, her nostrils flaring without her even noticing, I forget my small guilt. Seeing her alive and well (if a little tired and cold) outweighs the political consequences that may come.

We head out, side by side.

"So you mentioned that you've been here before," I say as the ground passes beneath us. "Were you born here? I'm only very new to Hyaline. I don't know it's history as well as I maybe ought to." I throw her a smile, hoping that if she feels like she has the upper hand, her voice will rise above a whisper. "I'm betting you could learn me a thing or two about this place."
    Kagerus
    sweet nothing

@[Kylin]
    dreamweaver
    kylin

Kagerus offers her both shelter ánd comfort, and Kylin gladly takes whatever the piebald mare offers her. Without a second thought she follows the offered lead, glad that these decisions are taken out of her control. Because everybody would see at the first glance that Kylin is not able to decide anything right now. Inside out, she is one big mess.

Pure joy shows upon her features when Kagerus agrees to go to the lake. Finding warmth and shelter hadn’t been on her mind – though she has to admit that she is freezing – as the lake is simply calling her. Frozen or not. ”Please..” Kylin nods, agreeing to whatever Kagerus is saying, anything would be okay, if that would mean they could go to the lake. And she simply does not think of sheltering herself against harm, like she hasn’t in a long while.

Hazel eyes are set on the lake, and with each step they take, her ears point forward more firmly. From time to time Kylin stumbles across her own legs, losing her footing, could be either due to the haste, or the fatigue. Who knows?

Kagerus’ first question has her humming softly, a soft confirming sound from the back of her throat, though her eyes are still set on the horizon. The way the sunlight reflects on the frozen surface is simply stunning. But the piebald’s other questions fall to deaf ears. Every step demands more energy than the previous one, and yet, Kylin is determined to make it to the lake, but it leaves little to no room to anything else.

By the time they reach the water bank, Kylin is panting heavily. Her nostrils flare wide and her sides heave with every breath. But, nevertheless, the lavender woman reaches out towards the ice. Her legs are trembling, movements are slow, and the cold wind bites into her skin even harder from this angle. ”It’s gorgeous..” she mumbles, more to herself than anybody else.

By the time she turns back to look at Kagerus, a lazy, half drunken smile tugs ever so slightly at the corners of her lips. ”Sorry.. I.. got carried a-away..”

@[Sid]
    Although Kylin stumbles often as we make our way to the lake, and every time I reach to steady her, she is truthfully quite quick on her feet, and we finish the journey in next to no time. The little lavender girl is clearly elated to see her birthplace, that which her heart calls home, and I allow that perhaps all the stumbles, all the pain, all the trauma of her past life might be forgiven when face to face with Hyaline's beautiful lake. As she admires it with her hazel eyes, I admire her with my own nutmeg ones, pleased beyond measure to see such a happy expression on the girl's face, a face that had been next to dead upon our initial meeting.

My questions, however, go unanswered save for a relatively airy hum that could mean almost anything; I inhale as if to reiterate my questions, but then think better of it. The girl is clearly exhausted, barely able to walk never mind to keep up an intellectual conversation. As we finally reach the bank, I halt next to Kylin, admiring for a moment, wondering if I alone am enough to convince Kylin to live here. Hyaline is for the lost souls, the broken souls - she belongs here, and every fiber of my being screams so impassionedly.

"Be careful Kylin," I murmur when I realize what her intentions are, her hooves sliding out towards the ice. I want to be able to trust her out there, but by the sleepy smile on her tired face, I know that that would be irresponsible of me. I step towards her, pressing my nose to her, drawing her close to me as a mother would a child. "Come on, love, let's get some rest. The lake will be here in the morning, I promise."

Murmuring more calming words the my little charge, I slowly maneuver us through  the snowy shore until we come alongside a rock face. Before long, I have gently ushered Kylin inside, still talking sweetly to her, guiding her with my nose until she collapses on to the cool floor in a heap of ankles and knees. Walking around behind her, I too lay down, wriggling until we are pressed together like two crescent moons. My lips work idly at her pretty purple mane, untangling notes and removing dirt. She may have had a bath, but in my opinion, she still desperately needs some love.

"In the morning, I'll take you to meet others from Hyaline, okay? For now, sleep. I'll stay with you all night. You needn't worry."

And, head on her neck, I gently press the girl into unconsciousness with me. Our dreams are sweet and nonsensical, full of sunshine and false-memories that evoke no pain or nostalgia within us. In the morning, the girl will rise just subtly different - with a full belly, and flesh that fits less taught over her skeleton. It is the least I can do for her, and by all means, I am happy to use my powers for good just this once.
    Kagerus
    sweet nothing

@[Kylin] I loved this thread <3 You should definitely post Kylin in Hyaline to Any so she can get to know everyone!! Then you should post her to me because post-birth Kag is going to need some lovin like Ky got today. <3
    dreamweaver
    kylin

Before she can set a hoof upon the ice, let alone drop her head to let her muzzle touch it, Karerus is as a solid wall between them. Instead Kylin is drawn close against the piebald woman, and she finds herself leaning into it. A soft, dreamy sigh. She has missed this. Only when Kagerus speaks of resting she realises her eyes had closed. With a soft hum Kylin agrees, nodding her head ever so slightly.

Following Kagerus feels as the most normal thing in the world. Not even a single hair on her body thinks about fighting the offered lead. It is like the other mare knows exactly what she needs. Like Kharon had known. Like Ivar had known. And Kylin revels in it.

With a content sigh she leans against the bay and white mare. Kylin only realises how tired she actually is now she is safely tucked in for the night. Kagerus lies right behind her, not allowing the slightest space between them. It’s warm and cosy, and with Kagerus’ back to the cave’s entrance, Kylin is guarded against everything that could possibly harm her. The sweet caresses make her hum softly, with her eyes closed and her own lips itching to return the favor.

Kagerus does not need to say more. Kylin is on the brink of falling asleep already, and Kagerus’ steady breath lulls her in further.