• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

||Smoke And Mirrors|| {Durotan}
    Smoke and Mirrors

The air had grown colder. All around her the hiding filly had began to notice the world as the season shifted from summer into autumn. The skies were grayer, and the grass seemed browner. Small animals and predators alike moved with a confusing urgency. Maiven had been just a small filly the first time this happened and the whole affair was frightening. Without her mother to guide her she wasn’t sure what to do. For a week she had searched in vain for any sign of her family. She kept hoping to hear them calling her name, kept longing to see their familiar faces materialize before her.

Eventually she had found herself in a completely unfamiliar part of Beqanna. At the edge of a meadow she’d stared out at the expanse of rolling hills. The landscape was dotted with distant figures too far away to hear her cries for help. Destitute and alone she’d sunken into the nearest clump of trees and underbrush to lie down and wait.

Surely she couldn’t have wandered too far away. Surely they would come for her soon, give her a quick reprimand and take her swiftly back under their wings of protection. The little filly shivered. Night was almost upon her and the chill was growing thicker. She was lost, alone and afraid.

The flowers wound through her mane had wilted, matching her mood, and the grass beneath her had browned in her gloom. Even the trees had began to feel the effect of her mood. She would have to move soon to avoid getting noticed by predators, both the kind with teeth and hooves.

Maiven

Durotan
    The large stallion was out patrolling with no mission set in mind. The meadow was always peaceful and rather enjoyable to take a stroll through. Winter was on them, and all the animals were in a hurry to get set up for hibernation. And all the equines were in a hurry to settle down in a warmer area for the winter season. This was about the time the loners settled into a Kingdom for the winter, or grouped up.

It was not long until he spotted another equine out and about. He took a moment, his whereabouts unknown to the young filly, to watch her. She seemed alone, she seemed upset by something. He wanted to keep moving, it was not his business but he was abandoned, not once but twice. He knew the pain of being alone, as a young horse. How scary life could be with no guidance, no on there to lean on. He snorted annoyed with himself and moved over towards the filly.

What are you doing out here alone? Don't you have a home? His tense body quickly relaxed followed by a sigh. What I meant to say was where are your parents? a nicer attempt at getting an answer without scaring her. She was vulnerable out her, a stallion could easily take advantage of her. He could not let her stay alone, he needed to make sure she would be safe for the winter. My name is Durotan, you can trust me. He forced a smile on his maw in an attempt to invite the filly to converse with him.

Don't Let Go

@[Maiven]
    I Hope That You Burn

Maiven saw him, the big stallion, as he appeared off to her left. He seemed lost in thought and, for a moment, the filly had hoped that he would simply walk past her. She sank deeper into the shadows of her hiding place, hoping that her light coloring and the decaying plant life around her would not give her away to him. As he drew nearer she trembled in fear. Though she was tall for her age, he towered over any horse she had ever seen. Every hoof fall seemed to shake the earth. The plant life around her shriveled as her fear grew. 

She’d not yet learned to control her abilities, despite her mother’s attempts to teach her. She’d been more interested in playing with her cousins and siblings that attending the lessons where they assured her she was special and unique. She’d taken advantage of their tutelage when, in a moment such as this, she could have benefited from their wisdom. 

As the sound of his approach grew louder she closed her eyes and stilled her breathing, praying that he would not see her. 

“What are you doing out here all alone?” His voice was harsh and she shrank away from it as though it were a poisoned snake poised to bite her ankles. ”Don’t you have a home?”

Her eyes shot open to see him standing before her questioningly. She squeaked and jumped to her feet, her sudden height causing her to bump her head on a low-lying branch belonging to a sheltering pine. He sighed, as if her reaction had caused him to regret his initial harshness. 

”What I meant to say was where are your parents?” He revised and she flicked her ears forward hopefully. ”My name is Durotan, you can trust me.”

Maybe, if she chose to trust him, he could help her find them. She stepped out of her hiding place, revealing her true appearance. Although she’d always been told that she was tall for her age, she felt small beside the massive stallion. 

”I – I,” She stuttered and lowered her head. ”I lost them.”

Maiven

Durotan

The filly appeared scared of Durotan, he wasnt sure if it was he she was afraid of, or being alone. Finally she mustered up the courage to speak, I lost them. His heart shattered for her, he wanted to reach out his neck and pull her into him. His mind was flooded with his own pain; His mother leaving him and his twin sister at birth. Romek adopting and eventually abandoning him and his sister, just when he needed him. He was so confused when it all happened, surely this filly was having similar thoughts.

He did not know where to start first, did she lose them or did they abandon her? He stepped closer and extended his muzzle to her head gently nuzzling her forelock What is your name? his voice was much gentler than previous. I will help you find them he spoke with a smile. He said help find them but what he really meant was he would not leave her side, whether he just adopted a foal or truly signed up to helping her find her family, he did not know. Are you new to Beqanna? he asked as she did not carry the scent of a kingdom, nor the scent of a loner equine.

Don't Let Go

@[Maiven]
    I Hope That You Burn

As she spoke something about the hulking stallion changed. His eyes softened and filled with something that Maiven could not quite place. She stepped closer to him, her neck lowered in respect to him. The cold wind caught her wisp of a mane and forelock. Next to the giant rolling hills of the meadow she felt tiny and unsure of herself. It felt like her whole world – everything she had been so sure of – had come crumbling down around her in a mere blink of an eye. It was foolish of her to have walked off as she had, especially being in an unfamiliar territory.

”What is your name?” The giant stallion’s question drew Maiven out her insecurity and set her mind to a task. ”I will help you find them.”

”M – Maiven,” she stuttered. His promise offered very little reassurance to her. How could he help her when she’d already wandered so far from where she’d begun? She had no way of knowing which direction her family had disappeared to or which land they had been traveling to. It was an impossible quest.

Despair filled her and tears escaped out the brim of her eyelids. Her exhaustion had finally taken it’s toll on her and her emotions were overwhelming. Before she knew it her cheeks were soaked and the stallion before her was nothing but a tan and black blur.

”Are you new to Beqanna?” He asked though she barely heard his question. Her mind swirled as she fought to comprehend him.

”Beqanna?” She finally managed. ”Yes, I – I don’t know where my parents are. I turned around for a moment and then, and then they were gone! I’ve been wandering around looking for them every since! I’m afraid that I will never find them!”

Maiven

Durotan
    She steps closer to him, he smiles hopeful that her trust in him was growing. He was just a strange stallion to her, and she was just a small filly lost in a world she did not know. The filly introduced herself as Maiven, her voice was shaken A beautiful name. He smiled but as he gazed back to her she was in tears.

She was sobbing, and he felt helpless. What do you say to a foal who lost there family? He extended his neck and nuzzled her cheek It will be ok he wrapped his neck around her pressing the filly into his chest. I know because I also lost my family it was not the whole truth but in the end he too once had a family and no longer does.

Through her tears the filly managed to talk, she noted that she was new to Beqanna and again that she lost her family. Gone in the blink of an eye, just like that. He stepped back to match his gaze with her own I will help you look for them, but I cannot promise we will find them. He snorted, the truth was hard to tell a filly who wanted nothing but them. But I can promise that I will not leave you. he scanned the horizon as dusk was starting to set Come on, we best be on our way before nightfall. he nudged her forward and began to move north.

Don't Let Go

@[Maiven]
    I Hope That You Burn

The big stallion’s demeanor had shifted. His previous gruffness had given way to a tenderness that took the filly by surprise. His compliment, however, was lost on her. He looked at her helplessly as her tears flowed freely. Gently he pressed his muzzle to her cheek, wetting it with her tears before he wrapped her in a reassuring hug. He knew how it felt to feel so helpless and alone. The pain of not knowing if the abandonment was accidental or methodically planned out. A strong part of her wanted to believe in the good in her parents, that they would never wish to leave her behind purposefully. She wanted to believe that they were somewhere looking for her, but no matter how hard she strained her ears she could no hear their longed-for calls.

As he promised once more to help her and to offer his protection she felt the tickling of hope and was grateful for his sacrifice.

”Thank you,” She murmured softly.

Maiven

We need to introduce Maiven and Drax next.