• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

her whole world's come undone
    The sun rose high in the sky chasing away the chill of the autumn morning. Slowly a large buckskin filly was being nudged awake by the increasing light and bright bird sounds around her. She blinked irritably from where she was curled beneath the boughs of a large tree. Her father had left before the sun had even begun to slip over the edge of the earth and she barely remembered him nudging her awake and promising to return before nightfall. She had quickly fallen back to sleep and slept away the rest of the morning.

Finally she forced herself to stand stretching her serpentine neck and shaking her black curls away from her eyes. The young filly yawned widely before stepping lightly out from beneath the shadows of the large oak. She couldn’t believe she was actually all on her own. A mischievous light danced in her eyes as she contemplated all the different things she might be able to do while out of underneath the watchful eye of her father. Small black wings ruffled at her side as she stepped further from the safe confines of the tree line and into the Meadow itself.

All day alone while Lucent traveled to different territories around Beqanna looking for them a place to stay once winter rolled in. Since her mother had left they had simply puttered around the Meadow. Passing their days familiarizing themselves with the border of the Meadow but never quite crossing into the Field nearby or the territory of Taiga that bordered closest to the Meadow. Lucent had wanted to move on but Noirmay had at first stubbornly refused to leave the Meadow. She was adamant that her mother would return for despite the sad looks the Lucent gave her every time she made such a statement. And perhaps deep down she knew that Paper wasn’t coming back. So when, once more, Lucent had advised they find somewhere, at least for the winter the foal had acquiesced to her father and agreed that at least for the winter she would go.

For now though she would put those thoughts aside and enjoy her short-lived freedom.

A little breeze goes a long way

Ilma gleamed in the autumn sun. She was resting after the long flight that took her here, but to be honest, she enjoyed flight and the Meadow so much in the warmer seasons that she did not want to miss a thing about it. Hyaline was very pretty also, of course. And full of young foals. Her not-yet-mother-heart warmed at the mere thought of the idea that this land had a whole Kingdom that was purely set on taking in the lost souls and young orphans, and she was sure that she would like to stay there forever. Unless something grand would happen like the rearrangement of lands that Kagerus talked about now and then... but nah. Hyaline didn't deserve any punishment so far, she believed. At least no more than any average family with it's ups and downs.

Her lazy wanderings had brought her further, one small step at a time. She slowly crossed the meadow, taking a bite of the grass here or there as she did. Birds were late this morning, but she didn't blame them. It was starting to grow colder, and most of them would fly southwards towards the sun to spend the winter in warmer places. Ilma sometimes wondered it there would be another island if she would follow the birds, but she knew that if there wasn't one within reasonable distance, she would be lost at sea and drown. Since that wasn't a happy thought at all, she banished it from her head as quickly as it came.

She looked up to shake her head and get rid of the thought, and paused to look over the meadow. Now that the sun had risen, it lit up the field, flowers and trees peacefully. Ilma did not immediately see another horse around, until some shadow moved away from a tree - a little further away. Curious, she started to walk in that direction, and was surprised to see a lone filly emerging from under a tree near the edge of the meadow. And did she happen to have wings? She wondered why the girl was alone - there was a playground and an adoption den for lone foals, wasn't there?

Her soft, soothing call flew warmly over the meadow grass to reach the girl. Perhaps there was a reason that she was here alone...

Any fool knows men and women think differently at times, but the biggest difference is this: men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget.
    Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time
    Dark tipped ears swiveled in the direction of the low pleasing tones of the older female. Her head quickly pivoted in that direction and was followed by the easy steps of her tiny hooves. The young filly fearlessly approached the ivory mare with breezy confidence. Her small tail brushed happily against her backside as she whickered a greeting in return. “Hello there. I’m Noirmay, what’s your name?

Large brown eyes fitted over the figure of the other mare with only a small measure of envy. Noirmay could scarcely wait until she was grown as well. Though she was certain she wouldn’t be quite as pretty as the other mares she saw. Both her parents were large, heavy breeds and so she was certain it was her fate never to be one of the delicate, slender females she saw flitting across the earth. Still, the small foal didn’t give it too much thought. She was still too young to have developed much of a sense of vanity. At the moment her greatest thought was enjoying her free time without her father watching over her like a hawk.

A thought crossing her mind she suddenly snapped her attention back to the other girl, “hey what territory are you from? Do you have a home around here? My dad is looking for us a home. He wants somewhere for us to stay when winter comes. Though honestly, I don’t know what he’s so worried about we’re both tough enough!” She huffed softly and shook her head. Parents, so worried all the time.

The white winged mare was pleased to see the filly respond attentively, though her approach could have been more cautious had someone with lesser intentions called for her. Although... well maybe Ilma wasn't the one to lecture her on that right now. Remembering her speeddate with Ashhal, she quickly banished any ideas of telling the girl about not approaching any strangers - seeing as how she had done exactly the same. Ahem.

Her amber gaze did not reveal any of those thoughts however, and since the buckskin filly did not seem to pay attention she let the thoughts slide quickly. Noirmay, as was her name, seemed energetic and eager to learn more about other horses, so the white Andalusian mare followed through quickly. "My name's Ilma. Pleased to meet you, Noirmay. You have a pretty name." And a pretty appearance, Ilma thought, or maybe she just thought that all foals were pretty. She wondered if that was just a hormone-based thought. Undeveloped, Noirmay wasn't yet as stocky as she would be when grown up, and even then, well, Ilma always thought that there were differences and different opinions alike; what one thought to be pretty wasn't what another might think.

She was about to ask if she had any business here on her own, when the girl already blurted out directly what was on her mind. She mentioned a father, but no mother, and he was away now to look for a home. Did Ilma have a home? Well, actually yes. A save haven for any young girl like Noirmay and perhaps her daddy too. She caught the last sentence of the girl and chuckled a little. She hadn't seen a winter yet. "Winter's a time where there's hardly any good food and water to be found, and it can be terribly cold. It's easier to share whatever warmth and food one has with a herd, that's why." she explained. As an afterthought, she added; "Do you have any idea where your dad went just now? I have my home in Hyaline, and I'm sure you would both be welcome. There's more than one foal your age there. I think you might like it." she asked. Perhaps it would be good for Hyaline if her dad came with her, too; there were more than a few mares but scarcely any stallions.

Any fool knows men and women think differently at times, but the biggest difference is this: men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget.
    The buckskin girl preened under praise of her name. She thought it was quite nice herself, prettiest thing she owned. Though once she was older perhaps she would find more about her own person to appreciate. When you were young and silly you found less to appreciate then the older and wiser. “Thank you very much Ilma!” Her father had at least imposed some manners on the young girl. Though stranger danger had either not been taught or been completely forgotten.

Noirmay listened as the other woman spoke, spouting off some of very warnings her own parental figure had given her. Less food, cold weather. Could it really be that bad? Having no experience to base it off of the young foal certainly had a hard time picturing the lovely meadow they now stood in covered in ice and snow, but time would be a true teacher. Her small voice chirped happily in response to the questions the other asked. “He was going to avoid the burned place. I don’t know what that one is and go around to the next closest territory to it. Near some mountains I believe.” She shrugged her slim shoulders, unconcerned too much with the where. She had the upmost faith no matter where he went he would return. “Do you think that’s your home. Hyaline you said? It sounds so pretty.

Not to mention she had said there were others her own age. “Are any of them your foals?” She paused and would have blushed had she been capable, perhaps that question was too forward. “I just mean.. you seem so nice so I’m sure your kids would be too!

She wondered if maybe her father didn’t find the territory he visited pleasing he’d be willing to follow this mare to her home. Or maybe Noirmay could convince him to regardless of what he found. Ilma seemed nice, really sweet and that probably meant her home was too. She ruffled her ebony wings and looked past the mare in the direction her father had traveled. Oh how she hoped he’d come soon and she could ask him.

ooc: @[Ilma] sorry for taking so long!

The white female thought about Noirmay’s answer for a moment; she just wasn’t sure. The buckskin filly pointed west, and she knew there was a part of the forest one should indeed avoid, but if that meant that Noirmay’s father would end up in Loess, Sylva, Hyaline or Nerine, she could not tell. ”I’m not sure. There’s several kingdoms bordering ours, so he might, but it could be a neighbouring kingdom as well.” she told her new young friend. She had the right to know that Ilma wasn’t sure, or so the white female always thought. Foals learned best when an adult was honest about what they knew, in her opinion.

”Oh, Hyaline is indeed pretty! It’s technically a vale, surrounded by the mountains, and had a large lake in the middle that reflects the sun beautifully.” she was quick to describe further. If Noirmay had a feel for thinfbs pretty, she would love it as much as Ilma. ”It’s not too far by flight, but can take some time travelling on foot.” she adds; she does not know if Noirmay’s wings originate from her mother or father. On foot one might best go by the riverlands, she thinks, but the filly hasn’t described that so it’s entirely possible he will skip Hyaline. If Lamb is any indication though, Ilma thinks Sylva a good second.

She chuckles at the forward question that Noirmay offers, and shakes her head. ”Perhaps come spring, I will.” It is too soon for her to tell if Ashhal indeed sired a foal, and she honestly wouldn’t mind if he had. She was born a mother; firstly to her younger siblings but perhaps she could adopt some of those who need a feminine figure to guide them, as well. So if she has a foal of her own, that would be no problem. Ilma has love enough for two, even if she suspects she may not see the father again for some time now.

@[Noirmay] it’s fine, I was away for a few days anyway Smile
    Her strong features furrowed as she looked the way her remaining parental figure had departed. She had not realized so many territories lay beyond the quiet borders of the Meadow. A strong wind ruffled her feathers and she could feel the chill in the air. They had been talking long enough that evening was approaching with no sign of the stallion. She shivered slightly, her thick coat had not quite come in yet and the breeze was enough to make her wish for his quick return.

At the mention of flight, Noirmay fluffed her wings happily. "I can make it across the meadow and back on my wings. My father can go much further of course, someday I'll be strong enough too as well!" She loved flying, each time she took to the sky she almost wished that she'd never have to come down. The freedom of it called to her constantly.

The girl was just about to ask when the mare might know if she was expecting a child when a glint of gold on the horizon caught her eye. Excitedly a loud whicker passed her lips as the sight of a white and cream stallion in the air appeared. The excitement was short lived and the young girl gasped when she beheld the figure of her father.

The large stallion had criss-crossing wounds across his haunches and still fresh gouges under his belly. His brilliant golden coat was covered in a thin sheen of sweat from the journey between the Sylva and the Meadow. Still despite his weariness and wounds he held himself proudly and stepped with easy strides towards his daughter and the other mare.

"Daddy! What happened?" The foal was understandably distraught as she fled Ilma's side and pushed her nose into the massive steed's chest. He ducked his head smoothing her dark curls and whuffing softly. "The territory I visited had a little wolf problem that I hopefully helped alleviate. I'm fine." His ears pricked in the direction of the unfamiliar face. "Whose your friend?"

Noirmay turned her head with a wobbly smile, "Ilma, this is my father Lucent. She was telling me about her home, it sounds wonderful! Can we go?" The stallion looked towards the ivory female, "have we been invited?"

Well, at least that answered the unasked question - her father would be able to fly, too, but Ilma supposed that a small stop in the riverlands would be preferred if she was to bring the both of them towards Hyaline. She watched Noirmay ruffle her wings as she spoke, shifting her own a little, too, to hug her body in the approaching cold. She subtly stepped towards the source of the wind to shield the girl from most of the cold as she nodded towards what was being said. "That's pretty far! And I'm sure by next spring you'll be able to go anywhere in Beqanna that you want," she agreed. Until then, she figured Noirmay would have to exercise some patience - either with her growing of her wings, but also because Ilma suspected her dad would not want her to go off alone before she'd reached that point (and if she knew some other dads, perhaps not even after that).

It seemed that Noirmay could have continued the conversation, but then a golden speck on the horizon turned into a large, stocky-built stallion - but there was something off about him. The girl identified him as her father quickly, and rushed to him, leaving Ilma behind a little. She smiled and followed a few steps to remain in good conversation distance, but took note of the wounds and the tired impression the male made. He talked about a little wolf problem like it was nothing, but the white female worried; if there was a wolf problem anywhere near Hyaline, Solace would want to know and probably also tell the others in the kingdom about it as well. Also, this stallion was rather large and strong, so to be attacked was kind of strange. Ilma could not help but shiver a little at the idea of any of the younger horses in Hyaline being attacked - they would probably not survive.

Her thoughts were interrupted by Noirmay's sweetly voice, and Ilma smiled warmly once again. She was so enthusiastic about everything, it was hard not to. The woman looked to the golden stallion and nodded. "Of course you are! Hyaline is a sanctuary, and even if I'm not Solace herself, I doubt she would deny you. Even if she does, you'll be my guest for the time being." she insists. It is clear to her, that Noirmay needs some looking after, especially since Lucent is hurt. He'll get better in a week or two at most, but in the meantime, the safety of a herd is what they both need. Besides, with winter coming, he's right to search for a place to stay. Even if she cannot outrightly offer them a place for all time - although if they ask Solace she is certain they will get it - what Ilma has to offer now, she will gladly give them.

@[Noirmay]