• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

where the stolen roses grow - kagerus

Solace

The sun is sinking heavily in the sky, growing larger with each passing moment as it nears Hyaline's jagged horizon. Solace briefly worries she will not find the mare she seeks before the light is gone, but before she can despair, the familiar painted form become visible below.

"Kagerus," Solace smiles, as she lands beside the diplomat she had come to consider a friend. 

Yet still, as busy as they both stayed, they rarely had time to meet without the formality of introductions and diplomacy between them. That would change soon, as in the morning they were both set to travel to the battlegrounds for an event which had caused Solace to lose many hours of sleep.  "Do you think you're ready?" the caretaker asks with no context - she assumes that the morning journey has weighed on both their minds. 

More questions spring to mind now that the faithful diplomat is before her, but Solaces pauses instead of charging forward. The pale mare knew she would get little rest this night, but she doesn't want to overwhelm Kagerus or betray the restlessness she feels.

caretaker of hyaline

@[Kagerus]
    Solghostdoll2

I am grazing quietly with the sunset to keep me company when I hear the flutter of wings and the gentle touch of hoof to earth. Wondering which feathered company has approached me today, I lift my shapely head from the earth, swallowing a last bite as Solace comes into view. I nicker, smiling at my friend and regent. She has done so much for Hyaline. I respect her so for it.

"Hello Solace," I chirp in reply to her uttering my name, walking to meet her. When the distance is closed between us, I reach out and press my muzzle to hers, exchanging warm breath and maybe a fond nibble or two. What can I say? I'm fond of the beautiful woman - that happens when you are both the only people answering the very frequently rung doorbell of Hyaline.

But, anyhow. There are more urgent things on my mind, and she speaks them, dampening my cheering sunset-mood with a good kick of anxiety. Stepping back from her, I cast my nutmeg eyes away, clearly uncomfortable in the spotlight, though she'll have no clue why. No clue why until I tell her... But secrets like mine are not exactly easily told.

"Uh, well, I guess so..." It's uncharacteristic of me to be so flippant, but I can't help it. I bite my bottom lip apprehensively, swishing my hoof through the grass as if the movement will make this interaction any less weird and awful. But she is my friend. And. And.

I can trust her.

I take a panicked inhale and then start speaking all at once, the words tumbling from me like an avalanche, my eyes latching on to hers as if she can save me from the crumbling mountain that rolls from my lips.

"I accidentally got pregnant and when the baby is born it's gunna kill me so yeah I guess if a mom should go to battle then I'm ready I mean I'm going to die anyway so --" I cut off the obnoxious rambling with another sharp inhale, biting my lip again as I stare at my queen. What on earth have  I done. "So..."
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver

Solace

Kagerus moves to close the distance between them, and Solace can already feel her mental strain lightening. Warmly, she returns the greeting the other mare offers - she had always been one to find solace is ritual. 

A flicker of concern passes across her features as her question seems to cause Kagerus to step back and lowers her eyes. Solace hadn't meant to ruin her evening, and she wonders if it would have been better to have stayed away and let her fellow fighter spend the night alone... in peace. 

The answer she receives is uncharacteristic, but it only causes her to step closer as the concern now spells out plainly in her eyes - she can nearly feel the apprehension wafting off the overo mare. Solace was nervose about the morning, but nowhere near as nervous as Kagerus appeared to be, and she now regrets mentioning it.

But before Solace can slide in a statement of comfort, Kagerus draws a sharp breath and exhales a torrent of words.

I accidentally got pregnant... I'm going to die...

Solace's blue eyes widen to an unreasonable size as she takes in the incredible flurry of information. She feels as if someone has landed a solid kick to her in the barrel. 

The confidence with which Kagerus relays this information causes the tri-colored mare to take a step back as she shakes her head "I don't understand, how do you know that? I've never known anyone who has died in childbirth," she blurts with her voice rising an octave above her regular steady pitch. 

Karaugh, she suddenly thinks with dismay. She had known someone who died giving life to their child - but she doesn't stop to correct her mistake. She wouldn't let that happen to her friend. 

"We will find you a healer, or we will go to the mountain, both of us!" She doesn't want to believe Kagerus knows what she is talking about. 

"You don't know that," the queen repeats as she remedies her mistake and comes to stand flank to flank and shoulder to shoulder with the companion who had worked tirelessly alongside her for the last year. "Maybe you should stay here, it's not too late to forfeit.  There will be a healer at the tournament... if you think there will be complications I will make sure they come back with me to Hyaline." 

caretaker of hyaline

Solghostdoll2

Out with the golden we sew, and the lower past that crawls.
    Now, to the doorway you run, to the girl that's not lost.
    I immediately regret how I delivered my secrets when I watch Solace's eyes pop out, and her hooves step backwards. I hadn't intended to scare her, and for a moment, true panic overwhelms me (I have lost my one true firend), but it passes quickly as my ears swivel to catch the caretaker's words. Concentrating on them, instead
    my own.

"I know because Khaedrik's shadows saw," I say quietly, feeling the life drain out of my eyes. Practically dead already, or so it feels tonight anyway. "I'm immortal, but I'll die when I give birth." A blessing, and a curse.

When she mentions a healer, her voice higher than I've yet heard it, my eyes snap up and hope is clearly written in their nutmeg depths. "I hadn't considered those options, but, but, I don't know --" The hope is suddenly drained again, and I am left feeling exhausted, having gone from deflated to elated and back again many times on the subject of the child I bear. "Thank you, for thinking of things I'm in no state to. I - I really appreciate it."

Solace comes along side me then, her voice calmer, smooth body pressing into my reassuringly, grounding me and helping me to focus on my surroundings instead of the millions of thoughts buzzing around my head. I find myself resting my nose on her neck, trusting her to guide me as she always has - ever the diligent queen, but an even better friend.

"No, no, I want to go. At least then my name will be remembered if I do die." I say this lightheartedly, as if it's quip instead of life or death, and it shows in my pained eyes even though I am smiling. "Maybe we can find a healer there though, I think that's - that's our best bet."

I drop my gaze, but keep my nose to her skin. "Thank you for listening to my woes.. I'm sorry to deliver them at such a very inopportune moment. You must have so much on your mind already besides... well, me."
    Kagerus
    sweet nothing
    dreamweaver

Solace

Solace feels helpless as Kagerus confirms with flat certainty that she will die, that Khaedrik and his shadows had somehow told her this. 

"We will find you a healer," Solace re-affirms with certainty as Kagerus thanks her. The other woman's hopes rise and fall visibly, but Solace clings to the idea of requesting help from a magician or the fairies with steady faith - the magic of Beqanna was deep and powerful and there was little that could not be altered by its touch if requests (or sacrifices) were made to those with power.

Even death was reversible.

She remains steady as Kagerus presses her muzzle to her neck for support, sharing warmth and proving whatever support she may need. Kagerus had been there for her, and more importantly, she had been there for Hyaline.

"Inappropriate? No, you needed to get it off your chest... with thoughts like that bouncing around it must be hard to think straight."

A brave smile appears on Kageru's lips, even if the pain doesn't leave her eyes, and Solace attempts to foster this flicker of hope. "Well, If you are going into battle tomorrow I want you to go in with a title that makes you proud. I want you to be my right hand Kagerus, you already are actually, but you deserve a title to represent all you do for Hyaline."   Now isn't the time to discuss the details of how she wants to re-work the ranking system, but she wants to show her appreciation in the only way she knows how. 

"You name it - Advisor, Ambassador, Keeper - whatever you want." Ther is a pause as Solace draws a breath of the frigid winter air before pressing her barrel and shoulder in tighter to the others. "I don't know if I could keep Hyaline going without you."

caretaker of hyaline

Solghostdoll2

Out with the golden we sew, and the lower past that crawls.
    Now, to the doorway you run, to the girl that's not lost.
    Her words come without hesitation now, reassuring me, allowing my conscious to be free of guilt at having over burdened my Queen... My friend. She's here for me, and for a moment, it feels like enough to get by. Like maybe, with that sweet smile and ingenuity working on my side, we could really do it. We could really fix my problem -- err, not my problem, my child... But it's both. And no amount of sweet smile will change that.

Her tone changes then, and my ears perk, mind momentarily distracted from the conversation at hand. A part of me is still dedicated to Hyaline more than I am worried about my birth, and so that part takes over as she goes on to mention my title. My mouth opens a little at her final words, astonishment writ clear in my expression, and gratitude, too. She presses more tightly into me, as if emphasizing how greatly she means what she says, and I can't help it - I tear up a little. Blame the hormones.

"I... Solace, I don't know what to say." Needing a moment to think, I reach out and lip the mare's blue forelock, brushing it out of her pretty eyes. When I realize that I have lingered, lips tracing the thin bones of Solace's fine face, I blush demurely and look away, clearing my throat whilst also laughing. When I am able to look back up at her, an answer comes, too.

"I would be honour to be Ambassador to you, Solace." Without though, I lean in and curl into her, closing my eyes and feeling her warm embrace around me. I am comfortable, here - truly in the arms of my saviour, momentarily freed from the consequences of sins, lost in a solace that won't last, but that I find myself falling for anyway. I burr softly, nestling into her, not considering that other ambassador's mightn't respond to a promotion in such a way; not minding.

"But for tonight," I murmur, my voice a sleepy haze, "Tonight, just hold me." I press my lips to her pale fur, softly grooming and kissing, losing myself to the warmth of a woman who's support I take for granted. And despite the Alliance, despite the child, despite our earlier panic, with her presence so near to me, I am content.
    Kagerus
    sweet nothing

@[Solace]
    LOOK HOW CUTE THIS GOT
    dreamweaver

Solace

For a second Solace's heart stops and she worries she has said the wrong thing - that she will chase away her friend with her insensitive words. Who cared about a promotion when they thought they were about to die? But then the bay mare chases away her worried look as she reaches out to brush away the pale tendrils hair which drape across Solace's face. Her pale lids grow heavy as the touch lingers, and her eyes finally slide closed as the dark lips trace the lines of her face.

Ambassador, Queen, suddenly it doesn't matter much.

She is being swept away by a current of warmth as their bodies curl together in a way that sparks something more than just comfortable. Her face seems to glow with electrical light where the first tentative kiss had been placed, but then there are more, each new touch sparking an ache in her belly - even pushing away the thoughts of their conversation, despite its magnitude. She is wholly awake, even as Kagerus seems to fade.

"You're so much more," Solace tenderly answers into the mahogany warmth of her skin. But she isn't sure if Kagerus has even heard her because her hazel eyes are lidded now, and her breathing has slowed.

'Tonight, just hold me.'  the pregnant mare states, and Solace wants nothing other than to comply. 

Threw the night Solace supports her friend, standing silent vigil as she replays the last hour in her mind. The young queen bites her lip, as the tears slide down her cheeks, and each breath she draws is slow and deep as refuses to indulge in the sobs which threaten to shake her.

She doesn't want to wake her.

caretaker of hyaline

@[Kagerus] <333
    Solghostdoll2