• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  I will never be your hothouse flower - any

Delicate things are pretty - cute, even,
    but you are not delicate.
    You are wild and lewd and unpredictable.
    You are breathtaking.
    You are beautiful.

I've never had a home before. Not really. Oh, I've called the forest, the meadow, home, but it's really just not the same. From everything I have seen, there is just nothing that can quite compare to a truly safe place to lay your head at night, a place you can always come back to.

That's what I want, and from what I can tell, the field seems to be the place to go to get it.

It's been a little while coming, this trip. But I've been unaccountably nervous. Normally, I'm not, but this is big, different. Special. And what if no one likes me? What if no one wants me? I mean, I don't think I am especially objectionable, but I am a bit odd. A bit unusual.

You see, I have a third eye. Yep, you saw that right. A third eye, big and bold as you please. It's special, unique, but not everyone seems to think of it that way. But what else is a girl to do? I can't spend the rest of my life withering away in the forest.

So, the field it is. Autumn is fully upon us, the leaves turning vibrant shades of rust and ochre, the grasses drying and releasing their seeds. The field is much the same, a golden green expanse of hock-tickling grass dotted with various equines of all colors. And I am there among them, another figure amongst many, a lovely young woman of marbled gold and white and black with only one small oddity about her. One small, almost inconsequential extra feature. One that, hopefully, wouldn't put too many off.

Giohde

If there was one thing Aten really disliked about the autumn season, it was the fact that the time for breeding landed right in the middle. Though Taiga's forest was beautiful in itself, the scenes of nature changing made Aten want to go and see the rest of the Forest and Field to have a look at its beauty. And considering that the Forest ran right up to the edge of Taiga's border, where a very large river sliced through the land, leading out to the ocean, it wasn't a very far trip for the young stallion.

After passing through the forest that day, Aten decided to continue on to the Field. Even though he didn't have an official ranking in the Taiga yet, since the kingdom had yet to really develop a caste of sorts if Ruan had plans to, the stallion wasn't incredibly busy. He didn't have his own herd to watch over, or others to protect since there were no signs of fighting. But, if one day, things should suddenly change and he'd have a heap more responsibilities, like his sire and dam each had along with herd life, he wanted to take advantage of the time he had now.

While also returning to the Taiga frequently of course, so that he could offer his help to Ruan if the stallion needed it.

When he entered the Field, he was almost immediately chased off by a group of mares; they weren't very aggressive to him, but it was obvious to the young stallion that they'd already taken advantage of the season and their stallion was probably nearby. Aten's instincts were driving him up the wall a little bit, but the younger stallion was able to maintain enough control that he wasn't tempted to take one of these mares by force.

He felt he had to get stronger, to prove himself as it were. Also, even if his instincts were pulling at him, Aten's mind was rationale enough that he realized should he end up having a foal with a mare while he was still so young, he'd need to be involved in its life, to teach the foal things as it grew. And at his current age, Aten felt he didn't know enough.

So, in a way, he was grateful for those mares pushing him away and driving him toward the inward portion of the Field. He'd just need to be careful if he didn't want any bite marks on his butt.

As the gold stallion mingled through the Field, doing his best to ignore the hard stares the mares gave him, along with some of the others and their flirty eyes, he also came across a couple stallions. Most were fine with him just passing through, as long as he didn't get too close to the mare/s the stallion was standing next to. On a few occasions, he did get chased, and one time, a stallion even came after him with his teeth. Aten sent him packing with a kick of his hind legs, surprising the more thinly built stallion. Aten had to admit, he was surprised too, the amount of power behind his kick taking him by surprise. He didn't know if it was just the urge to get the stallion to back off, or the time of the year giving him incentive. Either way, he didn't care; he still had no bite marks and that was a good thing.

The golden grass brushed against the stallion's belly when it began growing larger the deeper into the Field he went. Ignoring how it tickled, Aten snagged a few mouthfuls, trying to appear inconspicuous. In truth, he was here for another purpose today besides enjoying the beauty of the changing season. Recently, he'd brought a mare back to the Taiga kingdom to see if she could be recruited as another member. Not to boost Taiga's fighting force, but to provide her a home, as it seemed she hadn't had one before. Gaining members put Taiga on the map, and, should it come to this, it would give the kingdom the power it needed to defend itself if another power struggle broke out.

Apparently, that was what had caused the first Reckoning. The first one he'd heard of anyways, and Aten would rather not go through that again. He was quite enjoying things how they were now. But strange things were always brewing in Beqanna, whether it involved magic or disputes between kingdoms.

Which is why he really needed to go and seek an alliance with at least one other kingdom, to try and help back Taiga up. He reminded himself to speak to Ruan about that later.

An angry whinny from a few yards ahead caught the stallion's attention. His head shot up, wanting to see what was going on. There was a lone mare, two stallions in the middle of bickering over their rights to her. Rolling his eyes at their foolishness, Aten prepared to continue grazing before returning to his quest, when something else caught his eye.

If it weren't for his trained senses, he might have almost missed her. But, clear as the night sky, there she was. Another lone mare, several yards away from the mare and two fighting stallions. From this distance, Aten couldn't discern much, other than that she had markings on her body a few shades darker than the golden grass. Her mane and tail appeared two colors, and he thought he spotted white markings on her legs.

Surprised that another stallion hadn't noticed her yet, Aten decided to take advantage of this before they could try anything. His facade calm, the stallion walked up to the mare, a friendly smile present on his face. He stopped a couple feet from her to give her personal space, a small act he hoped would be appreciated as it seemed to have worked before.

Up close, he could now tell that she was a paint patterned mare, with a bay dun tone to her slim body. Her mane and tail were black and white, the white lining up with splotches of the same color on her neck. Her eyes were a pretty amber, a few shades lighter than Aten's coat. Then, he noticed the third eye, - it was an eye, right? he asked himself as he got a closer look - sitting right in the middle of her forehead. He had to admit, it was quite an unusual sight, and he'd seen things like horses with wings and horns, along with those that possessed elemental gifts, like Ruan and Jinju.

The golden stallion dipped his head in greeting, his long forelock falling down over the bridge of his nose, a few stray strands going to the side and over his eyes. "Hello there," he greeted the pretty mare. "You seem like you could use a friend. I go by Aten; might I ask for your name?"

@[Giohde]

You are breathtaking.
    You are beautiful.

To be honest, I hadn’t taken any particular notice of the, er, testosterone of the season. I love fall simply for the beauty and the bounty, the crispness of the winter-tinged air, the busy flurry of the woodland creatures and migrating birds. It’s such a fascinating time of year. Though, if I do pause to consider it, I could see how it might be a bit distracting this time of year. Especially the males, most of whom seem to be more interested in seeking out warm and willing partners.

As is evidenced by a scene playing out right in front of me. To be honest, I hadn’t been paying too much attention to the other horses drifting through the field about me. None of them were terribly interested in me, so it hadn’t truly been any of my concern (of course, it could be my… oddities that are keeping them at bay too). But when two randy stallion’s start duking it out right there in the middle of the field, I can’t help but notice.

I’m pretty sure everyone in the near vicinity can’t help but notice.

With a sigh, I roll my eyes heavenward in perhaps the most exasperated expression known to horse before shifting my weight and giving them my back. This is most definitely not something I care to be a part of. I mean, right there in the open. How embarrassing. At least go find a nook to make your own.

I huff out a soft laugh as I recognize the churlishness of my thoughts. Really, I am not usually so grumpy.

Fortunately a distraction appears just then in the form of another stallion. Had I been a bit more less outgoing, a bit less curious, I might have treated him with caution, perhaps even disdain. But, despite the heat of the season, my interest is piqued and my natural friendliness comes to the fore.

Shifting my odd gaze, I watch him with bright curiosity, an easy smile curving my lips as my frame shifts slightly, allowing me to peer at him without craning my neck. He doesn’t seem put off by my appearance, and I find that rather promising. Tilting my black-tipped ears forward, I offer him a greeting as friendly as the one he had offered me. “Well, hello.” My grin widens a bit as I tip my head slightly in consideration. “I can always use friends. I’m Giohde.” Pause. “So, tell me friend, where do you call home?”

Giohde

"That is good to know," Aten offered with another smile. "Also, if I may as bold to say, you have a nice name Giohde."

The golden stallion didn't know where that compliment came from, but who was complaining? He was just trying to make conversation for now, to see where this would go. Doing his best to ignore the sound of the bickering stallions and excited squeals of the mares seeking attention, he fixed his warm brown eyes on the paint mare.

"Well, I come from one of the kingdoms that make up this land. It's called the Taiga. It is a large land, with forests lining the border and stretching so far along the meadow that it reaches the ocean. The trees are so tall they practically touch the sky, the grass is the color of emeralds, and when the fog rolls in from the sea, it creates a very peaceful land that can hide itself from prying eyes," he offered.

Though a lot of other kingdoms around here had a lot to boast about, Aten felt incredibly proud of the land he now called home. He wished to share it with others, to help recruit members of the kingdom and show Ruan he could be a valuable member. A trusted one, not just in the sense of being there to provide emotional support of any kind.

"Are you a newcomer to these lands? Many who are find their place here in the Field as you have."

@[Giohde]

You are breathtaking.
    You are beautiful.

My smile changes, widening into an impish grin at the compliment he pays me. I've never been complimented on my name before, and it is a rather novel experience. “You most certainly may be so bold,” I quip brightly, offering him a rather bold wink of my own. “And thank you, my good sir. I suppose I've never given it much consideration.”

The last is said a bit wryly, but then I dismiss the subject as we move on to more important matters.

I have, of course, heard of the various kingdoms about Beqanna. I had been born on Beqanna soil and spent my life wandering its lands, watching it change and grow. Unfortunately that can become rather wearisome, especially when one must always consider where it is they might lay their head at night.

It grows tiring after a while, and I am most definitely ready to call it quits.

So I listen with avid interest to his description of Taiga, triple amber gaze fixed upon him as I picture the majesty of his home in my mind's eye. It sounds incredible. Absolutely perfect. Almost too good to be true. But perhaps it's time something go right in my life, perhaps it's time I find my place, and perhaps this is how I am meant to do it.

My smile has faded a bit, my expression dreamy when I am drawn from my reverie by his question. Blinking my odd eyes, I focus on him once more, taking a moment to allow the question to register. “Oh no,” I exclaim on a soft, breathy laugh. “I was born in Beqanna, but my mum was a bit of a wanderer. I did so for a while, but I've discovered I don't really have a taste for it.”

One corner of my pliable lips quirking, I tilt him a curiously questioning glance before continuing, “So tell me my friend, what brought you to Tephra? Were you born there? Or simply a quirk of fate?”

Giohde

In reality, Aten should've had more common sense before asking the question. Why wouldn't the mare have been born a Beqanna native? He wasn't trying to stereotype, but he doubted that horses with a feature like hers, or others, like those who possessed wings and horns, could be found anywhere outside Beqanna. He even briefly remembered how his dam used to tell him stories of the outside world before she got here, and not once had the mentioned of a winged horse ever come up.

Aten felt a bit disheartened, knowing he'd made a mistake like that. Really, how hard could it have been to deduce that Giohde was from here? The golden stallion listened quietly to the mare as she continued speaking, talking of her mother before saying that Giohde herself had decided that a wanderer life wasn't for her.

"So tell me, my friend, what brought you to Taiga? Were you born there? Or simple a quick of fate?"

Okay, now hopefully Aten could recover what he just lost.

"Well, I was actually born before the Reckoning. My dam and siblings lived in a kingdom called the Falls. Then, when everything changed, I was separated from her. My sister cared for me, but I left when I was old enough to be on my own."

A bit of a white lie; he'd wanted to stay with Sirana for a while, but her herd stallion had kicked him out instead. Aten had been forced to begin the life of a bachelor when he was a yearling.

"I was a wanderer for a while as well. I'd heard a great number of things about the Taiga, and so I decided to go and see its wonders for myself. Let's just say, I wasn't disappointed," he told her with a grin. "Perhaps there are other beautiful kingdoms out there, but I found my home in the Taiga and I am very glad that I did."

He turned to look at the mare again, "Actually, I think you would like to see it as well. I make trips to the Field as often as I can to see if I can find any other horses looking for a home. Whether you are or not, I think that you would enjoy seeing the kingdom I come from. And if you are looking for a home, I am certain that Ruan, the leader, would welcome you.

"Would you like to come and see the Taiga for yourself?" he questioned, looking at her patiently.

You are breathtaking.
    You are beautiful.

It is a fair question. Certainly odder things have occurred than a horse like me making her way into Beqanna. It just so happens that I am not one of them. I mean, all these strange horses here had to start somewhere. They had to come from somewhere. Of course, I don’t know where, but still, the point is a good one.

And I mean, it would take a very vain horse to be offended by such an assumption. Of course, I know there are those elitists who might be offended. But, I mean, just look at me. It takes a lot to offend me, especially given my physical appearance. I certainly have been called much, much worse.

Sometimes I do wonder what my life might have been like had I been born normal. But then I am glad I wasn’t. I am special, all-seeing and all that jazz, and I wouldn’t change it for the world. Even despite the names I’ve been called, and even despite the odd looks I so often receive. How could I take away what makes me, me?

But really, that’s neither here nor there right now. No, right now I should be listening to the story Aten is trying to share with me. So I focus, amber eyes fixing upon the roan stallion. He speaks of the Falls (I know of the falls, but that had been before my time. All I have ever known is this new, ever changing Beqanna), and it is fascinating to hear even tidbits of the lands that had existed before everything changed. Before the upheaval of the reckoning.

But then he goes on to explain how he had ended up in Taiga. A fascinating tale to be sure, one that definitely makes the place worth checking out.

Grin widening, I tilt my head in a confident angle before exclaiming, “Well, you’re in luck. I do happen to be looking.” I pause, my smile easing a bit, though no less warm, my head dropping to more normal (more humble) levels. “Taiga sounds incredible. I would love to see it.”

Giohde

I went ahead and threw up a post in the Taiga kingdom for Aten and Giohde. Figured it'd be easier to do a bigger one there rather than two small ones.