• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

The Summer Months Were Our Best [Iset]
    https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Rouge+Script "rel="stylesheet">
    tangerine
    face to the sun

A crescent moon is hanging above the mountain peaks. The sounds of the night are gentle and low, as it is many hours beyond dusk. Even at night the mountain wind is present, and Tangerine has her back turned to it. She drifts in and out of slumber, her four strong legs holding her up involuntarily as she rests her weight heavily into one hip, her head low.

The painted mare has called these summits home for nearly six months, and she feels safe here. She hasn’t bothered to hide herself at night, like she does when she travels. Tang dozes in a summit clearing on the western sides of Hyaline, between the sea and the lake – that particular view has made this mountain one of her favorite places in Beqanna.

Between dreams her ebony tail swats lazily at her sides of its own accord. She dreams nonsensical dreams, fragments of the past and future. But her dreaming ends and she blinks herself awake. With a shake of her neck and shoulders she loosens her muscles before sluggishly looking around the moonlit clearing.  

Dispute all the things she loves about Hyaline, she feels herself growing reastless and plump from the months of relative stillness. She thinks of traveling north sometime soon, to see if she will find the arctic or the ocean. But she will see where the wind takes her when the time comes, she hasn't reached that point yet. 

She sighs. Maybe Amet it up at this time of night... maybe that's him she hears off in the distance. 

Iset
    goddamn right
    you should be scared of me
    She can’t sleep; since Sakir had been returned to them the memories of their time spent in the Dunes were coming back full force, and along with them, the nightmares. She picked her way restlessly and clumsily over the uneven ground of the mountains she had recently decided were her favorite place in Hyaline. 

Every few steps, the rocky crevices snag her small hooves and pitch her slight body forward, and long legs smart as she roughly pulls them free. Grumbling under her breath about why Amet couldn’t have found them a home that was more easily maneuverable, she suddenly stops as a scent is caught on the breeze and carried leisurely to her. Another mare…mixed with something else, familiar but unnamable at the moment. 

Ever the explorer, Iset curiously follows the trail, letting her nose guide her. Before long, she stops in front of a painted buckskin mare facing away from her and towards the sea. From the curious combination of the gangly youth still apparent in her limbs and the refined elegance of her sloping neck and back, Iset is able to discern that the two are about the same age; caught between filly and mare. 

The lack of sleep she had been able to capture over the past few weeks was beginning to catch up to her, and was made apparent in the sluggish way her young bones moved as she closed the distance between her and the stranger. “Who are you?” she questions tiredly, with no forewarning to her prying inquisition. Almost as soon as she says this, the smell of the mare becomes stronger, and Iset is able to pinpoint the curiously familiar scent that blanketed her. 

Amet. 

“You’ve been here for a while, you know my brother,” the next time she speaks it is a statement and not a question, for she is sure that the scent mingling with that of the mare in front of her belongs to her eldest sibling.
    tangerine
    face to the sun

Tangerine’s mind refuses to fully awaken. With her lids weighed down by seep, she turns her head to look towards whoever may be approaching. Nearly dripping starlight, a girl stands not so far away, looking at her. The stranger appears silver in the midnight light, her coat reflecting light in the most unusual way.

“Who are you?” The starlight girl asks, slumber heavy in her voice.

Tangerine thinks, treading water in her mind. The tide of sleep refusing to release her. She drifts between present and past.

“I don’t know what I am” Tang had told Warrick - in the gloom and the mist when he had placed kisses one by one down her spine.

“You are the ocean...” Warrick had told her, his voice deep as the crashing of waves.

“Mahal,” Amet had called her, with a sparkle in his eye.

“…constantly moving and unstoppable.” They had agreed - but at separate times, in separate worlds.

“I am Tang.” She settles for, her swirling dreams receding but still pooling around her ankles. Choices where more difficult at night, and Tang had never been good at choosing to start with.

“…You know my brother.” Says the sister of the dragon king. Not a question, not an accusation, a statement.  Tang searches her tone for any hint of hostility or amusement, but the girl is unreadable.

Iset. The name surfaces in her mind.

“My relationship with them is rocky at best.”  He had confessed to her, on that day when he almost told her his secret. The day he had called her his friend.

And Tang turns then, slowly and quietly reaching her velvet muzzle out to Iset, an olive branch under the stars. “I know your brother.” She affirms, as gently as the salty breeze.

“But I don’t know you.”

@[Bai] Hey! have fun in Jamaica! no rush on this
    Iset
    goddamn right
    you should be scared of me
    It took her a while to respond, so much so that Iset narrowed her eyes and was ready to pose the question, “Are you deaf? I asked you a question,” until the other girl beat her to the punch, answering with her name. She stays silent, neither affirming nor denying her latter statement about Amet. 

Recognition crosses Tang’s amber eyes, as though dragging Iset’s narrow face from the depths of her memory. Strangely though, she was struggling to recall the girl in front of her at all. Perhaps her name had been mentioned once or twice, but other that that, try as she might, she could not remember seeing Tang before now. Strange, since their shared home was so small and contained so few residents. 

But, to be fair, Iset wasn’t exactly the most sociable creature that ever lived. She reaches out then, stretching her pale, painted face towards her and causing Iset to recoil as if she had been burned. She didn’t do touching; her brothers were the only ones that she allowed close enough to touch her, and even though this mare looked friendly and non-threatening enough, she wasn’t about to break her rule any time soon. 

Tang confirms her earlier suspicions then, proclaiming that this was indeed the first time that the pair had crossed paths. “I am Iset. I am the Queen here,” a haughty pride touched her words as she introduced herself to Tang, pacing anxiously in place as her inability to stand still settled into her stiff legs. “Why are you up here? Shouldn’t you be sleeping?” Mild bitterness leaks into Iset’s tone, her frustration at someone having invaded what she had come to think of as her special place too troublesome to conceal.

Ugh it's yucky but I tried :/
    tangerine
    face to the sun

Iset speaks again, recoiling from her extended muzzle,  and Tang is no longer left trying to decipher her emotions. The little Queen makes her feeling plain. But Tang had a (mostly) gentle soul and the harsh tone and haughty words roll off her back like falling leaves. Her face remains as still as the surface of the lake.

Shouldn’t you be sleeping?

At Iset’s final question a short low laugh rumbles quietly in her throat Aye, little queen, I should be. But the words do not reach her mouth, she didn’t think the girl would see her words as banter like her brother would. The brother and sister were very different creatures. Tang averts her amber eyes from the desert mres intense gaze to look across the moonlit lake far below.

Why was she up here? Tang had been drawn to the summits from the time she first arrived, and now she was being asked to explain herself. She has a suspicion Iset doesn’t actually care why she enjoys the mountain tops, but it is only polite to reply to questions when Queens ask them.

“The mountain summits are wild, and the air is always changing… and you can’t bet the view.” She pauses for  a moment, her honey gaze lifting to the rocky spine of the mountains. “The way the moonlight hits the peaks, the raging wind, it's a harsh beauty.”

Much like you. She doesn't add out loud to the young Queen.

She looks back to Iset then, curious about this coppery mare unlike anyone she has every know. "Is this your favorite place to be?"

@[Iset]