• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Burn baby burn! - Circinae, Ruan, any
    Jinju
    She had been lurking in the forest for a while, wandering across the trees without much to do. Jinju had opted to seek Heda out and go on another adventure together, but she had soon decided against it. Not because she didn’t want to spend time and bond with her sister, yet she felt that they had maybe gotten too old for that. What if Heda didn’t like the idea? So instead she had decided to roam the forest, rediscovering her home, trying to look for whatever that might be new or different. Thus far only some of the scents had been, but most were familiar even though she had been away for quite a couple of months.

Like that he comes across another new scent, fresh and close by. And it is accompanied by Ruan’s. Eager the inky black girl pushes forward, ruby eyes curiously searching for this unfamiliar visitor, or perhaps new family member. To Jinju the Taiga was home, it was family, from which she desperately wanted to be a part. So it was only right that she wanted to welcome this new addition home, plus she was always happy to see her father. But that wasn’t all. Even though the scent was unfamiliar, there was something that spooked at the back of her mind, she just couldn’t figure out exactly what.

It doesn’t take her long to find them. ”Dad!” she enthusiastically greets Ruan, moving over to his side to offer him her nose in a greeting, before her ruby eyes move towards the mare. Over the last 1.5 year Jinju had grown a lot, almost standing at Ruan’s height now, but the difference between her withers and rear made clear that he would rival him at one point in time. She still was quite lean to and coat already thinned out due to the fact that she didn’t need a winter coat to keep herself warm. ”Hi there. I’m Jinju, welcome to the Taiga” she greets with a small smile, ears perked forward as she curiously looked at the other mare, still standing at Ruan’s side however.

@[Calcifer]
    @[Toli]
    Toli's idea ^^. She said I could open the 'welcome to the Taiga' thread for you haha.
    Going forward certainly seemed exactly like going backwards to Circinae these days. She and Ruan press onward from the Field, each step leading her ahead, but she can still feel the hollow reminder of how she’d already gone down this path once before. Which way was North for her these days? The two-toned mare had thought that by now she might have some semblance of control over her life, and yet it still spun wildly out of control. “I can’t tell you how glad I am to see you again, after so long.” Circinae begins while her eyes trail over his unreadable face, hoping to hedge her warm welcome with a bit of the honest truth. “Our world is an unpredictable one. I can never be sure when I’ll see someone for the last time.”

She doesn’t exactly expect a heartfelt response from the stallion, they’d only met once before after all, and that seemed like eons ago now - but in her ever-shrinking world, Circinae is beginning to understand the importance of making allies. Nothing like a little genuine glimpse into her thoughts to build the columns of an eventual bridge between them. “There are things we should discuss.” She tells him rather bluntly, slowing only as he does when they begin to ingress through Taiga’s borders. His attention is elsewhere though, a noise drawing her gaze away from Ruan to where a curiously familiar mare waits.

The warm, familial greeting she offers Ruan has Circy blinking in surprise, wondering if this could possibly be the same small, dark face that had once peered upwards at her. It had only seemed like yesterday that Jinju was a shy, withdrawn sort of thing. Now, though, she’d grown into a fearfully bold creature that tugged the wisp of a smile out from Circinae’s reserves. “Jinju, yes, we’ve met before … but I was much bigger back then.” She laughs, head tilting gently as she appraises the horse before her. “I’m Circinae, I was here with the little red girl, Raeanne. Ruan must be beside himself keeping prying eyes off of that gorgeous black coat.” She finishes, finding it hard not to think about how different her little copper companion might look now.
    Circinae
    I need the crack of a whip, I need some blood in the cut
    HTML by Call
    Ruan
    "I can't tell you how glad I am to see you again, after so long," she said. The sentiment surprised him a little. He never felt like he really made lasting impressions on people, and he'd been glad she'd recognized him at all. But he found he was glad to see her again too, and his eyes warmed for her. "Our world is an unpredictable one. I can never be sure when I'll see someone for the last time." There was a heaviness to her grave words that made his heart harden, his blood run colder. He wondered if she spoke of the red-child she'd had before and lacked now, but he didn't want to ask and have it upset her. If it was a topic that would cause her pain.

"There are things we should discuss."
    He heard a tension beneath the statement, a taut string prepared to snap or sing depending who mastered it, and he glanced to her curiously and away again. They both could sense Jinju approaching, hear her as she caught their scent and neared, and they slowed to a stop.

"Dad!" the dark girl exclaimed, sliding to his side and offering her black muzzle to him. He was glad to see her and it showed in the warmth in his eyes, but he nipped at her nose instead, passing a shock of chill to her fire-skin in the contact as he claimed his space.

She was growing, no longer a little child to be coddled safely and protectively at his side. She was a young mare now, powerful and steady on her own. The shelter of his wing was no longer needed -not that he had them anymore, the solid warmth of his side was now his to offer when he chose to. She was strong, he'd not let her think otherwise by allowing her to claim her own embraces.

Jinju welcomed her warmly, and Circinae pointed out that they had already met, when Jinju was just a small girl. "Ruan must be beside himself keeping prying eyes off of that gorgeous black coat," she said. He gave a short grunt of amusement at that, knowing that Jinju had been gone away a while on her own and he'd had no say in who might have seen or touched her rich coat. She was grown now, her own woman. Letting go was hard, but he'd had no choice in it as he shielded himself from the pain of losing her, the one that had always been a constant at his side.

He reflected back on Circinae's earlier words; there were things they should discuss. He somehow felt that whatever was on her mind she might prefer privacy for it, so he didn't bring it up again yet. "Welcome back to the Taiga," he said instead, remaining at her side and passing a careful breath over her cheek. There was something about her that still itched at his senses, tickled the back of his mind. And he felt that same wary reluctance to turn his attention from her as he looked to Jinju again.

His eyes saw Jinju, and yet his entire body remained locked onto Circinae at his side, his senses drinking her in as he stood easily next to her. His nose drifted absently towards her but he spoke to Jinju when he gently requested, Leave us, please. Allow me to find you later. Because he wasn't one to waste time with pleasantries, and there were things they needed to discuss.

Jinju
    She couldn’t express in words how happy she was to have her father back. It weren’t beasty eyes who stared at her nor were his eyes dull and lifeless. Instead there is warmth in the icy blue orbs and her own ruby ones twinkle in delight. With a soft laugher Jinju pulls back from him, shivering slightly at the sudden chill, and sends a harmless spark of fire to dance across his black and white and purple skin.

Though no longer having the urge to hide from stares, she’s content with her place at his side. And off course at Reagan’s side. If not for her parents, who knew what would have become of her. Jinju loved them dearly and secretly still leaned on their support. It is from his side that she looks at the green and navy blue woman. Green different from Reagan’s, but the blue exactly like Heda’s. A small grin tugs at the corners of her black lips and she glances at Ruan for a short moment before turning her attention back on Circinae. ”Or do you perhaps mean that I was much smaller back then?” she replies with a grin, not able to not laugh along with the other mare.

She laughs, shaking her head with an amused grin. But oh, if it had been possible her cheeks would’ve been crimson red with a blush right now. Jinju didn’t think of boys yet, or perhaps she hadn’t met someone right, but how can she not get flustered from those words? Ruan’s silent comment didn’t make it much easier, though it is easier to reply to him. ”Oh dad, hush. You know you and Iasan are the only males in my life” she mutters as she reaches out to nip his shoulder, only pulling away from his side as he properly greets Circinae and welcomes her into their home.

Silence stretches as she watches them interact and she can only blink her red eyes at them. Had he always been this freely with others, beside her mother and siblings? Red eyes meet blue ones again, but her mind is in overdrive. There was something more going on here, that much was obvious, though Jinju couldn’t exactly tell what. But she definitely wondered what her mother would’ve said if she had been here. Without waiting much longer Jinju turns away from them, leaving them be like her father had requested, with quite a bunch of emotions swirling inside her. She no longer had the mind of a child, but instead jumping into conclusions and seeing things that perhaps aren’t even there like a teenager.
    If Jinju was perplexed at Ruan’s casual ease, then Circinae was equally unprepared. Seeing the two of them clash affectionately together drives a blade through the colorful girl’s gut, and her eyes stray away from the two of them as if to allow them even a moment of privacy. It’s only when the faint, cloying scent of Ruan’s hushed breath spills across her face that she returns her attention to them, chuckling softly at Jinju’s declaration. Yes, the black mare was right - she’d only been smaller back then, it was obvious that her growth would eclipse even her father’s height. Perhaps the red-eyed firestarter took after her mother in that sense … no, Circy was wrong again. She remembers (very clearly) the sharp, mistrusting gaze of the then-grey mare who’d taken the same liberties with Ruan that Jinju displayed now.

So many layers, and Circinae has only begun to scratch the surface of these individuals she now shares a home with. “I’ll see you soon enough, Jinju!” She finds herself calling out, watching with a determined sort of nonchalance as Ruan’s get silently exits. There’s still the warmth of her companion beside her to guide her back to her original purpose here, and the energy rolling off of his body in waves soon has her gaze locked onto his again. For once, Circinae feels the uncomfortable weight behind the spotted man’s interest - even though she cannot claim to be an empath, it’s clear there’s power oozing from him. If anyone could guide her, it would be him.

“It must be hard to watch her go.” She begins, eyes unconsciously trailing the shape of his face again, as if she could cement it in case they were separated for some reason. “I was a coward, and abandoned Raeanne in the night because I let my fear consume me.” Circy explains, letting the truth steal the air from her lungs - but she can’t look away. Let him be aware of her short past, so that he could know she f*cked things up. She was tired of hiding herself. “I was born with two traits, one of them wolf shifting - like my sire before me - and the other one still unknown. I wasn’t able to master them before the mountain rose, and now I’m stuck fighting the wolf inside for control over my own body. I’ve nearly gone insane.”

She exhales now, letting her thick, satin-blue tail lash irritably behind her while her ears slip closer to her head. “I’m afraid that I might lack the inherent predator instinct it takes to accept my other form.” She explains, overcoming her rising anger with a clipped laugh. “Help me Ruan, before I become a murderer.”

Wouldn’t Lupei be proud?
    Circinae
    HTML by Call
    Ruan
    It must be hard to watch her go.
    His eyes remained on her forest-kissed face though his other senses strayed to Jinju's retreating back, waiting for her to be out of earshot before he sighed quietly. How much I'd rather hold her to my side as I used to, he murmured sadly, the regret evident in his low voice. But she is strong on her own now, stronger than she believes herself to be. If I let her back in, a part of her might believe she still needs it.

He paused, gently shaking his head, the ache in his chest blossoming as he opened the truth for her to see. As he lay himself bare for her judgement. But she doesn't need it. I do. Barely spoken, barely heard.

The vulnerability before her came easily, the trust came easily. Trust that she might understand, that she would not think less of him for keeping his daughter at a distance for her own sake, even when he knew she wouldn't understand it. Delicately, he built that wall back up, guarded her again from the pain he kept buried and hidden from his loved ones and let her speak further.

I was a coward, and abandoned Raeanne in the night because I let my fear consume me.
    He listened carefully as she continued, as she in turn laid herself bare for him. She could become a wolf, and somehow that made things click into place in his mind, brought the Dominance forth to solidify in his eyes. They sharpened but still held her gently, still listened closely as she admitted the battle she had with the wolf inside her.

I'm afraid that I might lack the inherent predator instinct it takes to accept my other form.
    Help me Ruan, before I become a murderer.

The sting in her voice plucked at his heart, called him to protect her in some way. She was afraid she lacked something vital to control it, but he didn't think that was the case. He didn't think she lacked anything at all. She did fight with it, though, he could see it in the haunted shadow in her eyes, in the subtle tightening around her shoulders. His eyes softened slightly and fell to her delicate velvet as he blew a warm breath there, a reassuring brush of his own muzzle against hers.

I won't let you hurt anyone, he promised quietly, pulling away from her. Even if her wolf didn't respond to him, was too wild and rabid, he would still contain her until she shifted back. Are you afraid now? he probed gently. Are you ready for this?

For a moment, she’s suddenly glad that Ruan has sent Jinju on her way. There’s a softness to his hovering voice, a vulnerability that makes the sting of her actions seem less sharp. What she had done to Raeanne was the safest choice, for both of them, and she’ll tell herself that in order to close her eyes at night when the weather turns colder. Nevermind that the intensity of his stare is only broken in order to briefly touch his nose to hers, or that when he does, Circinae feels something begin to stir in the recesses of her abdomen. “Not afraid,” She explains with a resolved smile, “More like enthusiastic.”

Even her pain can’t overshadow the twinge of electricity that courses through her veins at the thought of shifting with ease. To slip skins without losing control or exhausting her energy would be heavensent; certainly much more beneficial for her plans on making these woods a permanent home. She remembers what it felt like to be safe in the open desert, nothing but sky and sand for miles, and the memory brightens her eyes. “I always have to force myself to either ‘be’ wolf or ‘be’ horse, but I’m sure you know a better way.” Circinae tells him pleasantly. “Shall we begin?”

The jade girl drifts away from him, only far enough so that she can turn fully to face him once again. Her skin prickles and she can feel her pulse racing - that old familiar doubt creeping into her thoughts while outwardly she seems unperturbed. Ruan had given her his word though, and it was about time she started believing in those things again. A nod, short and simple, and then she braces herself for whatever might come.
    Circinae
    HTML by Call

OOC: You have permission to do whatever you want with her, magic-wise and whatnot lol.
    Ruan
    He observed her carefully, reading her body more than listening to her words. The forest was calm and quiet around them, relaxed or perhaps holding its breath for what was to come in a matter of moments. Not afraid, more like enthusiastic, she said with a smile, resolute in her decision. Good, she was ready. She could do this.

It was a quiet breath as he gently pulled at a thread of Reagan's magic soaking their Taiga, thrumming in the earth beneath their feet. Could Circinae feel it too? Or had his senses heightened to it in familiarity, after so many times of Reagan's power shifting him into a wolf. Into the body that he perhaps truly belonged in. He was afraid it was making him wilder, going feral, but he kept that secret tucked away from everyone. He could do this.

He did it silently as she talked, showing no signs of any change. A brightness flared to life in her eyes and something in his mind responded instantly, leaping forward eagerly and yanking the magic deeper into him like a thrust against a leash. It forced him a step or two forward, making his eyes glow in the darkness and his jaw clamp tight before he stilled again.

Shall we begin? And she drifted a little further away, turned around and faced him again. She nodded her readiness, but he made no move forward this time, held himself steady as his eyes remained trained on her intently. Her heartbeat hammered in his ears, and his head tilted. And then, strangely, his pulse tried to match it, quickening to this new rhythm.

He brushed it aside, and despite the distance she'd purposefully placed between them, he took a step forward. The wolf was bright in his penetrating eyes as they stayed locked on hers, a loud and silent challenge. He almost felt a rumble build in his throat but smothered it. Still in the same fluidly-slow movement, he took another step forward.

He stared deep into her eyes, and his Dominance called for her wolf. Reagan's magic could force her into it, but what would she learn from that? She just needed a good push, a reason to flow into her predator. She would learn to do it naturally. His lip curled and lifted, briefly showing the white of his teeth before settling again. He held the magic close, ready to shift with her.

Come out, weakling.

There is a moment (so quick that perhaps Circinae herself isn’t even sure if it’s real) where every cell inside of her body seems to cry out simultaneously in protest. A heightening of herself, a trembling shudder that is suddenly two life forces becoming one, so intense that the hair on the back of her neck rises in protest. It is … revealing, an action that strips away all layers and allows Ruan total access to her. “Helpless,” her mind supplies, but she knows it’s his unspoken power. God it was incredible after that, a rush that shoots from the tip of her nose to the end of her tail and leaves her immobile while his eyes lock onto hers.

Demanding, forceful, Ruan’s silent search for her other self leaves her unable to shift or look away. She can only see the command that is issued by him in those endless blue eyes, can only feel the beckoning challenge that suddenly awakens something within her. Ever her father’s child, the wolf within is defiant like fire - rising to meet Ruan’s authority with teeth bristling. It becomes so effortlessly clear then, so incredibly obvious as to why she’d been struggling before. There had been no higher creature to quell the beast within her, no pack to place her where she belonged or give her purpose. Not even Circinae herself had been able to collar the animal.

She realizes then that she’s trembling. Her soft, jade skin twitching with the physical effort of holding her second body back. Come out, weakling, Ruan calls, and with a gasp the two-toned girl’s eyes snap shut. Enraged, a snarl tears through her while the transformation re-shapes her instantaneously, leaving her spread wide with her slim, shaggy brown head dipped low. Her teeth are still gleaming in the glancing sun and her ears are burrowed deeply into her scruff, but she is wolf, and she is whole. “Clever.” She thinks, panting outwardly with the realization of what she’s done.

Instinct takes over then, the fight to maintain herself given entirely to the wishes of her wolf. Her eyes slip open once more, tail lifting in resistance to the natural dominance that exuded from Ruan and where he stood. She was not a weakling, certainly not now, and she would run with those who proved their metal. She meets his final step forward with one of her own, snapping in a froth of excitement that she’d finally met a match worthy of her time.
    Circinae
    HTML by Call
    Ruan
    He could see it shift and shudder, brighten her eyes with a light that drew him in further. But he held still. He waited. Nearly feeling the power course and rush through her; her power.

It felt like so long that she stood there, holding his gaze as though he were what held her up and not her own legs. As though a part of her needed him even as his wolf keened low in his mind, a silent whine that grew to a growl as it turned around and challenged her. Called her out and demanded to finally see her. Come out, weakling. And she did. Her eyes slammed shut, her body trembled, and his breath stopped in his chest, ears tipping forward in anticipation. She was instantly snarling in retaliation, and his lips peeled back in answer, ears flattened, and together they formed into fur and paws and vicious growls.

Even as he stared her down in this charged moment, she was beautiful. Breathtaking.

Her eyes slid opened and immediately clashed with the blue of his as she took a step forward to meet his challenge. Her tail lifted defiantly, boldly, and his growl slid to a slightly higher pitch, growing louder as his blackened fur raised to stand on end.

And then his growl began to settle, a low rumble of threat even as he quieted just a little. He kept his head above hers as he stepped closer once more, letting his mouth lay carefully near her neck, eager to feel that scruff of brown but refraining. His body stilled, wary and ready for her slightest move, and yet somehow also at ease. Almost peaceful. He was ready to pin her down if her fierce wolf did not accept him, every line in his body saying Try me, I'll like it. Confident, dominant. Hers was too. She was not the type to just roll over submissive and lick sweetly at his face, to bare her vulnerable throat and belly to him.

Good. He liked that too.

He would not ask her to submit. He would only wait and allow her to make her own decisions. She would always be free to make her own choices. Am I enough for you.
    Am I worthy.